Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ear lobe irritation help

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Okay, I know this isn’t a doctors room but ...

I got one of my ears pierced (added another hole) like 5 weeks ago, it was all fine until I stupidly changed the earring to a square shaped one with angles. It was all good for the first 4/5 days until I started getting the lobe a bit red after pulling it a few times.

I also attached another dangly thing on it making it a tiny bit heavier so maybe also that’s why it got irritated.

It isn’t painful as such ( a tiny bit a few days ago)

I keep cleaning it everyday and putting saltwater and stuff. But I think the shape of the earring being so tight and square isn’t helping.

Should I just leave it or maybe remove it and put back the original one made of titanium and wait a few more weeks to swap to a more suitable earring? (I probably won’t use this square one again)

I just have a feeling that this swell won’t go down that easily with this stupid earring urgh

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Whenever my ears get sore from wearing cheap earrings I give them a good wash with saline (you can make your own by boiling water and adding salt if you can't buy it) then I put in some 18 carat gold earrings I have until they're feeling better.

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

Once you have followed Lacey’s advice above, I’d also pop a (not too) hot chamomile teabag on the love until it goes cold. That stuff is magic. Don’t persevere with the new earring. Get the old one cleaned and back in until the piercing is healed.

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

*lobe

over a year ago

"Once you have followed Lacey’s advice above, I’d also pop a (not too) hot chamomile teabag on the love until it goes cold. That stuff is magic. Don’t persevere with the new earring. Get the old one cleaned and back in until the piercing is healed. "

Thanks! That’s what I ended up doing. The pair i changed with were “cheap” as in i think silver with gold plating. But way too tight

When I removed them I cleaned my ear and luckily no pus or anything, but a tiny bit of blood. Meaning probably being so tight it was easy to catch with flesh and irritate them

I put back the titanium horse shoe shaped earring (which I hate how it looks lol) but at least it’s a lot easier to clean.

Thanks for ur advice I’ll keep posted when this swell goes down (it’s bright red!!)

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Definitely stick to higher quality metal and cleansing techniques until it's more healed.

I got my ears pierced over 20 years ago (lobes only) and to this day still need to be careful. It's why I usually only wear silver sleepers - they've been my mainstay since my "training" gold studs popped out a few weeks after piercing

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I had to stop wearing cheapo earings when I was younger as I'm allergic to the nickle in them. Ears used to go realky sore and manky.

You can get more hypoallergenic earings now or stick to real gold/silver.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I had to stop wearing cheapo earings when I was younger as I'm allergic to the nickle in them. Ears used to go realky sore and manky.

"

I can wear cheap earrings in short doses only

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"I had to stop wearing cheapo earings when I was younger as I'm allergic to the nickle in them. Ears used to go realky sore and manky.

I can wear cheap earrings in short doses only "

I used to make my own from keyrings!!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When it's healed try putting some clear nail varnish on the post that goes through your ear. I've done this with cheap earrings and it worked. Makes the backing a bit stiff but ok.

over a year ago

"When it's healed try putting some clear nail varnish on the post that goes through your ear. I've done this with cheap earrings and it worked. Makes the backing a bit stiff but ok."

Thank you!! I’ll get this trick done

Also they are not the cheapest as they were £40 for the pair, but I get it they aren’t the most expensive either haha

Probably just very wrong for my ear lobe / new piercing

As an update, the lobe has gone more red but that’s probably cos I switched earring and had to pull a bit as had to screw the tiny balls at the end and that was difficult

Put lots of saline solution water so hopefully I’ll see a difference in the next few days

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Sudocreme works to soothe redness

over a year ago

"Okay, I know this isn’t a doctors room but ...

I got one of my ears pierced (added another hole) like 5 weeks ago, it was all fine until I stupidly changed the earring to a square shaped one with angles. It was all good for the first 4/5 days until I started getting the lobe a bit red after pulling it a few times.

I also attached another dangly thing on it making it a tiny bit heavier so maybe also that’s why it got irritated.

It isn’t painful as such ( a tiny bit a few days ago)

I keep cleaning it everyday and putting saltwater and stuff. But I think the shape of the earring being so tight and square isn’t helping.

Should I just leave it or maybe remove it and put back the original one made of titanium and wait a few more weeks to swap to a more suitable earring? (I probably won’t use this square one again)

I just have a feeling that this swell won’t go down that easily with this stupid earring urgh "

Sounds like you need see a doctor get some antibiotics just in case infection

By *luebellRacerCouple
over a year ago

Shropshire

Some ibuprofen might help with any swelling or irritation?

over a year ago

I had an infection after getting my ear pierced, had a large abysses on the back of my ear and a pulsing sensation

Eventually went to docs, had it lanced and then gauze to let the blood out, ended up with full head bandage with blood mark on for a week, most people thought id lost my ear

J

over a year ago

"I had an infection after getting my ear pierced, had a large abysses on the back of my ear and a pulsing sensation

Eventually went to docs, had it lanced and then gauze to let the blood out, ended up with full head bandage with blood mark on for a week, most people thought id lost my ear

J"

Oh no this sounds pretty painful! Luckily it’s been 5 weeks since I had this done and only started having problems when I switched to a different earring last week

No pus or anything so far and manageable discomfort (I don’t feel anything unless I go touch my lobe). Just looks red

over a year ago

They might have nickel in them which you can be allergic to?

over a year ago

"I had an infection after getting my ear pierced, had a large abysses on the back of my ear and a pulsing sensation

J

Oh no this sounds pretty painful! Luckily it’s been 5 weeks since I had this done and only started having problems when I switched to a different earring last week

No pus or anything so far and manageable discomfort (I don’t feel anything unless I go touch my lobe). Just looks red "

It wasn't actually bar the throbbing in my ear, it did start out red and inflamed so might be worth removing the piercing and treating with antiseptic cream till the redness goes down

J

over a year ago

"They might have nickel in them which you can be allergic to? "

How do I know if there’s nickel in earnings?

over a year ago

"They might have nickel in them which you can be allergic to?

How do I know if there’s nickel in earnings? "

Some are marked as nickel free. If I buy cheap earrings I check for that or just stick to shops i know I never get problems from.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"When it's healed try putting some clear nail varnish on the post that goes through your ear. I've done this with cheap earrings and it worked. Makes the backing a bit stiff but ok.

Thank you!! I’ll get this trick done

Also they are not the cheapest as they were £40 for the pair, but I get it they aren’t the most expensive either haha

Probably just very wrong for my ear lobe / new piercing

As an update, the lobe has gone more red but that’s probably cos I switched earring and had to pull a bit as had to screw the tiny balls at the end and that was difficult

Put lots of saline solution water so hopefully I’ll see a difference in the next few days

"

I'm even allergic to sterling silver unfortunately so it's possible for even good earrings to cause a reaction. It's mostly fashion earrings from clothes shops that make my ears the most sore though.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

J

No pus or anything so far and manageable discomfort (I don’t feel anything unless I go touch my lobe). Just looks red "

Make sure you're rotating and cleaning regularly if it's new.

My problems with my piercings (20 years ago, lol) were reduced significantly by switching to sleepers (hoops)

over a year ago

J

No pus or anything so far and manageable discomfort (I don’t feel anything unless I go touch my lobe). Just looks red

My problems with my piercings (20 years ago, lol) were reduced significantly by switching to sleepers (hoops)"

Problem was, with the new earring I put in, it was so tight it had no room (it is a tight square rectangle) to rotate or anything.

Anyway, the old surgical one in titanium I can rotate super easy, so I’ve started again to clean it properly with saline solution.

It’s still red this morning but not as swollen and was able to clean properly. It still had some blood when I went to clean it with the cotton make up pad so I must have reopen the wound

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

J

My problems with my piercings (20 years ago, lol) were reduced significantly by switching to sleepers (hoops)

Problem was, with the new earring I put in, it was so tight it had no room (it is a tight square rectangle) to rotate or anything.

Anyway, the old surgical one in titanium I can rotate super easy, so I’ve started again to clean it properly with saline solution.

It’s still red this morning but not as swollen and was able to clean properly. It still had some blood when I went to clean it with the cotton make up pad so I must have reopen the wound "

Ooh that sounds painful.

I find things that aren't tight most helpful when I have irritation. (Still happens to this day, haha)

By *rongstantineWoman
over a year ago

hull

Don't over clean with saline as it'll dry it out and don't rotate your jewellery as it drags germs/lymph/scabs back through the fistula and will cause further irritation and infection.

Post new Message to Thread