Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What are the stages of a breakup?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

That wasn’t initiated by yourself?

It’s taken me quite a while to get to the acceptance stage where you kind of feel okay. You’ve accepted that there’s nothing you can do, accepted that this person will no longer be in your life and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Things don’t hurt so much anymore and you know you’re going to be okay.

Also doesn’t have to be an actual relationship breakup it could be someone you were dating and then they broke it off.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Just the same as with any other forms of grief or loss, it’s no different really;

Shock and denial. This is a state of disbelief and numbed feelings.

Pain and guilt. ...

Anger and bargaining. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Reconstruction and working through. ...

Acceptance and hope.

The time taken will vary according to the person and situation and remember that it’s possible to regress as well but these are recognised as being the stages of loss.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Just the same as with any other forms of grief or loss, it’s no different really;

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

The time taken will vary according to the person and situation and remember that it’s possible to regress as well but these are recognised as being the stages of loss. "

After 2 years since my ex broke me. I dunno what stage I'm even at

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"Just the same as with any other forms of grief or loss, it’s no different really;

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

The time taken will vary according to the person and situation and remember that it’s possible to regress as well but these are recognised as being the stages of loss. "

Two years on I'm only at the last two stages after a set back, each person is different though

over a year ago

Pain insecurity lack of self worth concern darkness pangs of heartache feeling sick lack of appetite any joy seems to vanish as soon as you feel it madness impulsiveness stupidity and many other things effectively the worst feeling ever if that person became your world and sole focus like being ripped out of heaven to be eaten by dogs

over a year ago

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

hope is a story told to children it doesnt exist never did

over a year ago

2 Stages

Together

Not together

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

For me I am now ok with what happened, but still not at that point where I am comfortable meeting back up with all off our joint friends

over a year ago

Still think I’m married I know it sounds stupid I only took my wedding ring off three years ago after eleven years you would think it gets easier pain over her death still hurts today but finally accepted she is not hear anymore time to make new lady’s friends x

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

As I have children it’s a different situation. So you lose a family and lifestyle not just a partner. So you have all of the pain and misery possibly even jealousy of them meeting someone else. But goodbye to your partners parents and joint friends you have built in that relationship with, as well.

But it’s your children that now see you as a part time Dad and on occasion accidentally call you buy the other guys name, that can really hurt.

I have dated and broke up with several women since my divorce in 2016 but nothing hurts as much as my marriage break up and losing my children on a day to day basis.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"2 Stages

Together

Not together

"

Beat me to it.

over a year ago

As previously mentioned, same as the stages of grief and loss, they can present themselves in different orders, also timescales will be different for people.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

Exactly this.

Time is the only thing i found that helped quell the emotional rollercoaster that I was left dealing with.

Understanding that breakups follow the grief process (it is a loss after all) also helped me appreciate why I was feeling the way I was.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

The time taken will vary according to the person and situation and remember that it’s possible to regress as well but these are recognised as being the stages of loss. hope is a story told to children it doesnt exist never did"

That’s your opinion, a very bleak and destructive one but still, just your opinion

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

Was thought during my undergrad years, the stages when facing a significant loss : mnemonic DABDA.

Denial, Anger, Bereavement, Depression, Acceptance.

Duration of each stages varies from one person to another.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"2 Stages

Together

Not together

"

This comes closest to my thoughts.

We are alone before a relationship. We are enjoying life before a relationship.

NO ONE ...... not even the psych mags/ books can say what the stages of a breakup are.

Every person is different.

Every relationship is different.

Relationships exist for varying lengths of time.

Peoples feelings are varied.

Some people are 'just needy' whilst others truly love.

Some people just 'use' others.

Acceptance is what matters.

Once we accept the relationship is over we can focus on ourselves again.

No relationship is ever a waste of time.

Relationships should be enjoyed on a moment by moment basis....

It's having goals that makes people call the ending of relationships a 'fail' ....

Being happy and content within ourselves or having a very solid idea of who we are as an individual prevents much of the breast beating when something temporary ends.

Humans should be surrounded by people.... not person.... friends..... not friend....

over a year ago

I feel losing someone like in your situation is really different and does take time. You do what ever it takes to make you feel ok.

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"2 Stages

Together

Not together

NO ONE ...... not even the psych mags/ books can say what the stages of a breakup are.

It's having goals that makes people call the ending of relationships a 'fail' ....

Being happy and content within ourselves or having a very solid idea of who we are as an individual prevents much of the breast beating when something temporary ends.

Humans should be surrounded by people.... not person.... friends..... not friend.... "

Absolutely

over a year ago

We’re all different and will deal with things in different ways.

Sometimes other factors will heavily influence the process. Your state of mind regarding other things such as work, finances etc can contribute.

I’ve had breakups that have ruined me. But I’ve also had deep connections with someone that’s called things off where feelings have been stronger than past relationships. And I’ve walked away perfectly content because other aspects of life put me in a good state of mind

over a year ago

I don't mean this to be as flippant as it might sound but it was what happened to me after my daughter's mother left me:

1. Red wine

2. Red wine.

3. Dating apps.

4. Too much red wine.

5. Met my soul mate.

6. Just the right amount of red wine.

There was a lot of hurt and upset through phases 1 - 3 and nearly lost job and house.

Phase 5 saved me and I'm now happier than I ever was. M

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

For me, every relationship in life is transient, be it romantic or otherwise. And while there may be varying degrees of sadness and missing them when the relationship ends, I am grateful for the experiences and feelings that I was fortunate enough to share with that person, and look back fondly on our time together.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I don't mean this to be as flippant as it might sound but it was what happened to me after my daughter's mother left me:

1. Red wine

2. Red wine.

3. Dating apps.

4. Too much red wine.

5. Met my soul mate.

6. Just the right amount of red wine.

There was a lot of hurt and upset through phases 1 - 3 and nearly lost job and house.

Phase 5 saved me and I'm now happier than I ever was. M"

Love this, It's what many of us do.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"For me, every relationship in life is transient, be it romantic or otherwise. And while there may be varying degrees of sadness and missing them when the relationship ends, I am grateful for the experiences and feelings that I was fortunate enough to share with that person, and look back fondly on our time together. "

Agreed Lily ... I meant to mention that throughout life we gain experience and rather than saying , 'Jeez that relationship was shit' .... we just need to take what we learned with us, where ever we are headed.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I know one thing -

Your brownies look amazing

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

From experience, one of the principal means of being prepared for a potential breakup is not to place all of one's eggs in the same basket in the first instance.

Regrettably, narcissism is exponentially increasing in frequency in society, and it is essential to be aware of the stereotypical behaviour of narcissts, irrespective of gender.

There are essentially three phases within a relationship with a narcissist.

Initially they idealise you, then over a very variable second phase your initial worth is incrementally devalued; and finally they discard you.

If they find themselves bereft of supply from a new conquest, they may return to hoover you up.

Self education, to obviate the potential for being damaged by a breakup, about narcissistic predators is vital, and online experts include Sam Vaknin, Doctor Shayler, and others.

Swinging provides an ideal means of having like-minded friends, who may also have been 'burned' in the past.

Recovery from having unwillingly committed to a narcissistic relationship is a long and painful grieving process, that through intelligent preparation can usually be avoided.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What are the stages of breakup for a narcissist Jubal ?

over a year ago

Shock and denial.

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

Done all of them except the hope.

By *esparate danMan
over a year ago

glasgow

"Recovery from having unwillingly committed to a narcissistic relationship is a long and painful grieving process, that through intelligent preparation can usually be avoided.

"

At what point did it become apparent you were in league with a narcissist

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"What are the stages of breakup for a narcissist Jubal ?"

Since they are highly psychopatic, they do not experience remorse and normally have a new conquest waiting to be idealised, devalued and discarded.

The terms psychopath and narcissist can often be used interchangeably; and there can be comorbidity with borderline (psychotic) behaviours.

The narcissistic has been profoundly damaged during their upbringing, sometimes by being overvalued, but often by being abused.

Their relationships tend to initially be 'over the top', a major red flag.

The worst kind is the malignant narcissist who gains her/his 'kicks' from exploiting manipulating and damaging their prey, emotionally, financially and sometimes physically.

Narcissism is untreatable and attempts to 'cure' them usually makes them more expert and skilled.

These are ruthless predators who do not experience human emotions as others do; their genes loaded the gun and their environment pulled the trigger to make them what they are.

If you know how to spot them, walk away, quickly.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Cant really relate to this. Once ive broken up with someone ive broken up and thats the end of that

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"What are the stages of breakup for a narcissist Jubal ?

Since they are highly psychopatic, they do not experience remorse and normally have a new conquest waiting to be idealised, devalued and discarded.

The terms psychopath and narcissist can often be used interchangeably; and there can be comorbidity with borderline (psychotic) behaviours.

The narcissistic has been profoundly damaged during their upbringing, sometimes by being overvalued, but often by being abused.

The worst kind is the malignant narcissist who gains her/his 'kicks' from exploiting manipulating and damaging their prey, emotionally, financially and sometimes physically.

Narcissism is untreatable and attempts to 'cure' them usually makes them more expert and skilled.

These are ruthless predators who do not experience human emotions as others do; their genes loaded the gun and their environment pulled the trigger to make them what they are.

If you know how to spot them, walk away, quickly."

A lot of that is contradictory.

e.g. They were overvalued as children OR abused ?

Which one ?

If it's genetic ..... and their experiences are familial ....... How do you account for one child from a family of 6 being narcissistic ?

Who get's away ..... who doesn't ?

Can they be traumatised later in life or have bad peer experiences ?

It doesn't ring true to me that narcissists are made and made by mothers..... not all of them.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Which one ?

If it's genetic ..... and their experiences are familial ....... How do you account for one child from a family of 6 being narcissistic ?

It doesn't ring true to me that narcissists are made and made by mothers..... not all of them. "

How do you think that narcissistic personalities are formed Granny?

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

For me this only applied to the breakup of my marriage.

Though I didn't go through so many stages.

Apart from that, over is over and time to get on with life.

over a year ago

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

Well the monkey sums it up perfectly. My breakup spiralled me into a dark place. It does get better though.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Which one ?

It doesn't ring true to me that narcissists are made and made by mothers..... not all of them.

How do you think that narcissistic personalities are formed Granny? "

Over to you. How do YOU think that narcissitic personalities are formed ?

over a year ago

The only break up that has mattered to me left me with a feeling of pure grief and although it was years ago and I'm very happy now the feeling of loss still comes back occasionally and leaves me feeling sick, I believe time is a healer and that if you truly loved some one you will never quite get over them you will however learn to live without them.

over a year ago

Not sure I could put it down as in stages but it definitely makes you stronger in the end and less likely to put up with crap in any future relationships

You’ll be just fine ‘Cariad’

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I read the op wrong i thought it said was iniciated by yourself.

The only relationship ive been upset over was my ex husband and i cried for a few days but was fine after 3 weeks

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Which one ?

"

Well I’m not picking holes in what a person has posted. I’m just curious to see what your specialised knowledge is on this matter?

After all, you asked him the question, then dismissed the answer

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Which one ?

Well I’m not picking holes in what a person has posted. I’m just curious to see what your specialised knowledge is on this matter?

After all, you asked him the question, then dismissed the answer"

Interesting that that is what you see.

I asked further questions. No more no less. I asked for further info. No more no less.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

After all, you asked him the question, then dismissed the answer

Interesting that that is what you see.

I asked further questions. No more no less. I asked for further info. No more no less. "

Your line here ^^

I asked you the question because you seemed to have more understanding.

I’m curious as to why you chose to turn it around on me too.

A strange way to discuss a subject

*gallic shrug*

As you say; it doesn’t matter, it’s the internet

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Which one ?

It doesn't ring true to me that narcissists are made and made by mothers..... not all of them. "

My ex is a narcissist. His brothers and sisters aren't.

I think it's an inate personality trait.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Good insight JoJo .....

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

P.S. Tea

I'll D.M you cos the thread is going off topic

By *o new WinksMan
over a year ago

BSE

Which one ?

My ex is a narcissist. His brothers and sisters aren't.

I think it's an inate personality trait.

"

Sometimes, where a child is in the hierarchy if a family affects hiw they are parented. A late child who isn't as much a strain to two, better off and more mature parents may get a completely different upbringing to an "accident" when they were young, poor and terrified to be a parent.

Thats how a therapist explained it to a friend of mine whose twin brothers are a pair of absolute...

Anyway, nature v nurture is complicated.

over a year ago

Pain and guilt. ...

Depression. ...

The upward turn. ...

Acceptance and hope.

even when i end it i somehow get stuck in a loop where the upward turn happens then i revert back to pain and bargaining . its like the cookies on my browser need cleared

over a year ago

If you know how to spot them, walk away, quickly."

i also think the term narcissist is bandied about far too much these days for pretty much any relationship where one person happened to be a bit more selfish / self absorbed

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Doctor Robert Shayler would agree with you; narcissist is a clinical term whereby the forensic patient has to fulfill five out of nine criteria to be professionally diagnosed as a narcissist.

She prefers to use the neologism, hijackal, a laymans's term that she has copyrighted, for her exclusive use.

She has a lot of interesting material online; one can subscribe foc to receive a weekly podcast.

A lot of psychological and psychiatric term are commonly used, and some are misunderstood.

For example, schizophrenia is actually a 'split from reality' not a split personality, as in the case of a person with multiple identity disorder.

over a year ago

"That wasn’t initiated by yourself?

It’s taken me quite a while to get to the acceptance stage where you kind of feel okay. You’ve accepted that there’s nothing you can do, accepted that this person will no longer be in your life and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Things don’t hurt so much anymore and you know you’re going to be okay.

Also doesn’t have to be an actual relationship breakup it could be someone you were dating and then they broke it off. "

This was the OPs actual question. It seems to have been derailed.

over a year ago

A breakup is also like a death of sorts. Being aware of what is causing you to feel so badly is important. Another person is a source of generating endorphins within us, whether we realise it or not. If they suddenly break up with us the source of endorphin production is gone so we suffer withdrawal symptoms similar to drug withdrawal. We suffer anxiety and depression because of the loss. This then fuels more anxiety and depression. It's interesting to observe how your body is behaving when suffering this withdrawal. Raised heart rates from the anxiety, pains from the Adrenalin rush when in the flight or fight mode.

over a year ago

"A breakup is also like a death of sorts. Being aware of what is causing you to feel so badly is important. Another person is a source of generating endorphins within us, whether we realise it or not. If they suddenly break up with us the source of endorphin production is gone so we suffer withdrawal symptoms similar to drug withdrawal. We suffer anxiety and depression because of the loss. This then fuels more anxiety and depression. It's interesting to observe how your body is behaving when suffering this withdrawal. Raised heart rates from the anxiety, pains from the Adrenalin rush when in the flight or fight mode. "

over a year ago

"2 Stages

Together

Not together

Humans should be surrounded by people.... not person.... friends..... not friend.... "

I am believing this more and more about humans, we need lots of people with different thoughts and input around us and not sort of isolate ourselves off into little pairs.

By *imatureMan
over a year ago

sligo

Also doesn’t have to be an actual relationship breakup it could be someone you were dating and then they broke it off. "

sorry to hear this but he needs his head examined

over a year ago

You can do courses for this. Relate used to do some.

Also if its any use, I once did a course about relationships and the adult/parent/child aspects in them that was really useful. That was with relate.

Another good resource is the 5 love languages for relationship help and understanding yourself and your partners and how you interact.

Believe it or not it can help with break ups too as you can see why it didn't work and why it wouldn't in the future.

over a year ago

I am currently seeing a counsellor weekly. Not for this but for my issues.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

People are in our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

When they are gone, deal with it any way you want, there are no stages.

I'm with Granny.

over a year ago

"Still think I’m married I know it sounds stupid I only took my wedding ring off three years ago after eleven years you would think it gets easier pain over her death still hurts today but finally accepted she is not hear anymore time to make new lady’s friends x "

I'm sorry for your loss x

over a year ago

Seeing a therapist wife passing bullying at work had covid last may still no taste or smell

over a year ago

I've been there and the thing that got me was that one day everything was fine, the next day not....no real reason, and the reason given was so tenuous that clearly they couldn't justify their actions in a reasonable way.

There's no point trying to get answers, it's their choice and putting your case forward to try and change their mind is pointless. They have already made their choice.

For me, in those situations, the emotions just drop. I don't waste any energy on trying to reason.

The decision has been made for me so the shutters come down and I move on.

Channel your energy into the positive and leave the negative behind.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

You don't need to know stages, you just need to take care of yourself.

You will reform as a new single you, not part of a joint shared identity and different to the you that you were.

You may not get to understand the other person and how they were, the secret detachment that they fulfiled, if they broke away. Better to focus on giving yourself permission to need and have what you want and to understand yourself better

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/04/21 00:29:36]

over a year ago

Im at the 'dont feel good enough for anyone' stage and ive been here for about 3 years now, does that make it the final stage?

By *-man24Man
over a year ago

northwest

It took me years as I lost my kids and my home not just the love of my life was hard but that’s life and can I say what a fool he was to let you go

By *he English OneMan
over a year ago

west

Throw in kids and numerous affairs and you have yourself the ultimate heart break in some ways she did me a favor I can now have my life back and enjoy it to it's fullest

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

"Cant really relate to this. Once ive broken up with someone ive broken up and thats the end of that"

The only comment that I can relate to on this entire thread! This was starting to sound more like the agony aunt pages of a daily newspaper. Looking for a relationship is like waiting for a bus, it doesn't matter if you miss the first one, as there will be another one along in a minute. Once you get on a particular bus, if you don't like the direction it's going in, you just jump off that bus and get on another one that might actually get you to the destination you want to be at.

If your car breaks down beyond repair, what do you do? You simply go to a garage and get another one, you don't keep throwing good money after bad. Only for a relationship you go on straight dating sites, where you often feel like a little boy let loose in sweet shop, as the choice is vast.

If your horse goes lame, and even the best vet can't do anything with it, you have it shot, although that would be a bit of drastic way to end a relationship, but if you are flogging a dead horse, you need to get yourself a new filly, or stallion whichever your desires might be, and they are on every street corner. If all the kings horses and all the kings men can't put humpty together again, remember that new Humpties get laid every day of the week, and you too can have a great time

getting laid as well.

History should remain history, learn from it, and don't make the same mistake twice.

over a year ago

Try You Tube ... Crazy Hot Matrix

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Cant really relate to this. Once ive broken up with someone ive broken up and thats the end of that

The only comment that I can relate to on this entire thread! This was starting to sound more like the agony aunt pages of a daily newspaper. Looking for a relationship is like waiting for a bus, it doesn't matter if you miss the first one, as there will be another one along in a minute. Once you get on a particular bus, if you don't like the direction it's going in, you just jump off that bus and get on another one that might actually get you to the destination you want to be at.

If your car breaks down beyond repair, what do you do? You simply go to a garage and get another one, you don't keep throwing good money after bad. Only for a relationship you go on straight dating sites, where you often feel like a little boy let loose in sweet shop, as the choice is vast.

If your horse goes lame, and even the best vet can't do anything with it, you have it shot, although that would be a bit of drastic way to end a relationship, but if you are flogging a dead horse, you need to get yourself a new filly, or stallion whichever your desires might be, and they are on every street corner. If all the kings horses and all the kings men can't put humpty together again, remember that new Humpties get laid every day of the week, and you too can have a great time

getting laid as well.

History should remain history, learn from it, and don't make the same mistake twice.

"

You just called a partner a bus, car and horse...

over a year ago

you think it will never happen, we was swingers and very open, but she was seeing a very close friend behind my back, things happen for a reason, ive moved on and happy now with my life, my ex and friend didnt last, neither as a few more relationships with her

over a year ago

"Cant really relate to this. Once ive broken up with someone ive broken up and thats the end of that

getting laid as well.

"

People are just meat. Fuck em use em dump em.

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

getting laid as well.

"

When it's dead in the water, no need to look on ex's in any other way than a commodity that's had itsday, and outlived its use, and time to find a substitute, like a football manager would do. Get the under achiever off the field, and get someone on there that might produce a better result before the match is over. Tits and pussy, as well as cocks are not obsolete, and gone out of production. Replacements are everywhere. So it's a case get a life, get out there, and get on with it.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

getting laid as well.

When it's dead in the water, no need to look on ex's in any other way than a commodity that's had itsday, and outlived its use, and time to find a substitute, like a football manager would do. Get the under achiever off the field, and get someone on there that might produce a better result before the match is over. Tits and pussy, as well as cocks are not obsolete, and gone out of production. Replacements are everywhere. So it's a case get a life, get out there, and get on with it. "

I can just see you giving post break up pep talks in a huddle on a field that’s tickled me

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

getting laid as well.

People are just meat. Fuck em use em dump em.

"

I'm not that callous, I love being in meaningful relationship, but I've always put on my profile, no lame ducks, no emotional high dependents, no eccentrics, I don't carry passengers, and I am particularly unsympathetic to damaged goods who expect me to accept the fact that they are not over a lost lover.

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

getting laid as well.

When it's dead in the water, no need to look on ex's in any other way than a commodity that's had itsday, and outlived its use, and time to find a substitute, like a football manager would do. Get the under achiever off the field, and get someone on there that might produce a better result before the match is over. Tits and pussy, as well as cocks are not obsolete, and gone out of production. Replacements are everywhere. So it's a case get a life, get out there, and get on with it.

I can just see you giving post break up pep talks in a huddle on a field that’s tickled me "

You might be right, but let's be honest, who in their right mind is going to want to spend quality time with someone who is as boring as constantly dwelling on their past. Life is for living, and if ghosts were able to post on here, thousands in the cemeteries would agree with me.

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

getting laid as well.

When it's dead in the water, no need to look on ex's in any other way than a commodity that's had itsday, and outlived its use, and time to find a substitute, like a football manager would do. Get the under achiever off the field, and get someone on there that might produce a better result before the match is over. Tits and pussy, as well as cocks are not obsolete, and gone out of production. Replacements are everywhere. So it's a case get a life, get out there, and get on with it. "

Even tho I’ve not experienced a break up ,my first love is now my husband I really don’t think it’s as simple as just going out and finding another cock or fanny .

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

Oh dear, what have I started, I don't want to hog the thread as I'm others are anxious to get a word in. If you want to reply privately, that's cool. But to the lady whose first love was her husband, all I can say is, "Aren't you the lucky one!" Especially to find someone who is as open minded as be capable of wrapping up a swinging relationship, and something meaningful on your first throw of the dice. I usually get told that their possesiveness and jealousy is because they lurve me. We both know that's a load Jackson-pollacks, as they say in the art world.

By *adyHWoman
over a year ago

South Glos

My last relationship was 19years long, from the age of 16!

It’s fair to say he broke my heart when he said he didn’t love me anymore. That was that, no trying to make things better or work on issues; he was done! I was never given a chance to change things.

I still now, 2 years on, constantly second guess everything we did together - especially for the last 2 ish years of the 19

It didn’t help that not long after leaving he started dating someone he already knew and soon after he moved in with her

Me on the other hand has been devastated by this all, had to sell the house (he owned half) and I’ve had to move back in with my parents - not ideal at my age

But I can’t change it and I wouldn’t want him back. I miss our friendship and our laughs though. We have so many good memories that I don’t get to reminisce with him about

Hard moving on in a way!

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"My last relationship was 19years long, from the age of 16!

It’s fair to say he broke my heart when he said he didn’t love me anymore. That was that, no trying to make things better or work on issues; he was done! I was never given a chance to change things.

I still now, 2 years on, constantly second guess everything we did together - especially for the last 2 ish years of the 19

It didn’t help that not long after leaving he started dating someone he already knew and soon after he moved in with her

Me on the other hand has been devastated by this all, had to sell the house (he owned half) and I’ve had to move back in with my parents - not ideal at my age

But I can’t change it and I wouldn’t want him back. I miss our friendship and our laughs though. We have so many good memories that I don’t get to reminisce with him about

Hard moving on in a way! "

I'm sure it is. Sorry to hear about it. Sounds similar. Just try and think of the good times, they are in the bank.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

When you've gotta make yer own cuppa and bacon butty in the morning

over a year ago

getting laid as well.

There’s more to people and relationships than just having body parts. If it was as simple as someone just having a dick then I wouldn’t be single.

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

Not really sure of the stages. I do think that it depends on your experiences to date. They will have a bearing on how you deal with the next relationship ending.

It’s good to leave it in the past and move on. I know people who spend years pining after an ex who won’t ever go back. It seems to hold them in a kind of suspended animation and they can’t be happy being single. You need to be happy with yourself first and foremost.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"People are in our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

When they are gone, deal with it any way you want, there are no stages.

I'm with Granny."

She doesn't mean in the biblical sense ....

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

getting laid as well.

There’s more to people and relationships than just having body parts. If it was as simple as someone just having a dick then I wouldn’t be single. "

Sweetheart, every intelligent person knows that fantastic sex is the glue that binds a successful relationship, if that's in place then everything else that comes with the territory is a bonus. In every break up lack of physical attraction happens, but then of course other factors get the blame, totally overlooking the fact that fundamentally it's ended because, the get up and go has got up and went. So I'm afraid it is about body parts with all the successes that follow as the meaningful relationship develops being due to the fact that ultimately, you can't keep our hands off one another.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

getting laid as well.

There’s more to people and relationships than just having body parts. If it was as simple as someone just having a dick then I wouldn’t be single.

Sweetheart, every intelligent person knows that fantastic sex is the glue that binds a successful relationship, if that's in place then everything else that comes with the territory is a bonus. In every break up lack of physical attraction happens, but then of course other factors get the blame, totally overlooking the fact that fundamentally it's ended because, the get up and go has got up and went. So I'm afraid it is about body parts with all the successes that follow as the meaningful relationship develops being due to the fact that ultimately, you can't keep our hands off one another. "

That was extremely patronising.

Not all relationships that work are built on the foundation of sex.

over a year ago

getting laid as well.

Sweetheart, every intelligent person knows that fantastic sex is the glue that binds a successful relationship, if that's in place then everything else that comes with the territory is a bonus. In every break up lack of physical attraction happens, but then of course other factors get the blame, totally overlooking the fact that fundamentally it's ended because, the get up and go has got up and went. So I'm afraid it is about body parts with all the successes that follow as the meaningful relationship develops being due to the fact that ultimately, you can't keep our hands off one another. "

this is not only completely patronising, for most people it is just not true

it takes much more than sexual attraction to build a relationship and keep it together

over a year ago

getting laid as well.

"

Can a horse cheat on you?

Can a bus punch you?

Can a car cause emotional and financial abuse to you?

over a year ago

getting laid as well.

No that's bullshit. May be true for you but not everyone.

Bit sad really if sex is the only thing keeping 2 slabs of meat in a relationship.

over a year ago

"

If that were true I wouldn’t encounter the problems I have. The sex side I can maintain but the issues I have with anxious attachment and the fact I suffocate men and create problems that aren’t there, become very clingy and dependant on guys.

There is a whole lot more to having a relationship than just sex.

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

Bookmarking this thread for later, as there may be useful advice for me here too

Post new Message to Thread