Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Yeaaahh, they're stereotypes

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

there must be more to life....

as the great bard Damon Albarn once sang.

So do you make generalisations based on what your read?

Do you miss things out on your profile to avoid being stereotyped?

Are you atypical for your ilk and don't want to be lumped in with everyone else?

Your thoughts please oh wise and knowlegeable forumites

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I do make generalisations in a way yes, but still understand there's more to the person than that.

I make generalisations as in cheating people aren't for me etc.

I don't leave stuff out of my profile that I think is relevant. I ain't gonna mention I trod on a plum stone as a child and had to have it removed from my foot as it doesn't affect me or anyone in anyway at all other than possibly the doctor who may recall the story to people during tales of strange things removed from feet.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

We all make assumptions and generalisations, but I'm open to having then changed. I know I will make mistakes. And yes I'll leave out some information about me on our profile, else I'll get silly messages from ill informed people.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I also make generalisations based on usernames. If someone has BBC in it, I stay clear coz it comes across to me that they think their penis and the colour of it will mean more to me than them as a person.

Cumslut too, that screams bareback to me, so again, not on my radar.

I'm sure people will see Princess in my name and think I expect perfection or something, I accept that may be how it's perceived and if it means I may miss out on meets or friendships then so be it.

We all have things that shape our perception, usually experience.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"I also make generalisations based on usernames. If someone has BBC in it, I stay clear coz it comes across to me that they think their penis and the colour of it will mean more to me than them as a person.

I'm sure people will see Princess in my name and think I expect perfection or something, I accept that may be how it's perceived and if it means I may miss out on meets or friendships then so be it.

We all have things that shape our perception, usually experience. "

What you're not a real life princess? I'm proper devastated

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"I also make generalisations based on usernames. If someone has BBC in it, I stay clear coz it comes across to me that they think their penis and the colour of it will mean more to me than them as a person.

What you're not a real life princess? I'm proper devastated "

I'm more Bowzer

By *ocksareoffMan
over a year ago

Out n About

I think a lot of people will see a profile and make assumptions, but when you get to talk face to face you realise how wrong your snap judgment was.

Don't judge a book by cover springs to mind

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im terrible at judging people based on their profile. I read reread read between the lines and make all kinds of assumptions. Its worked well for me as ive never had a cancellation, been stood up or had a bad meet in all the years ive been here

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

No, I try not to anyway.

I make assumptions based on interactions with people or how they might treat me.

Some user names or profiles simply do not appeal to me but, I wouldn't make an assumtion based on one aspect of their person.

I have changed by opinion of people after interacting with them, usualy finding out they are not worth investing my time in.

Some I may have started off on rocky ground and found they are worth investing time in.

That is why I try to base my opinions on the person rather then assumption.

One I have found to be perfect from the moment of talking and only gets better.

I shouldn't make judgements about anybody but, I only seek enlightenment, I'm not there yet.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What profile? I hate writing about myself in a profile thingy. Hidden at the mo. but if I unhide might leave the actual profile bit blank anyway (it is liberating).

over a year ago

I think people in general want to Fit in and be accepted, therefore they actually use similar content in their profiles on fab, but general stuff, like personal preferences, no to this, no to that. That's very common. I see less of what they actually like.

I suppose I'm generalizing a bit.

About stereotypes, no. I don't think I like to define people by stereotypes. That should be dismantled already

By *nkforthekinkMan
over a year ago

london/fareham

I’m stereotyped no1!

over a year ago

I purposely miss out things on my profile which I only share privately. It massively helps avoiding being put in a drawer with some label on. I'd rather they ask more questions and get to know me.

over a year ago

Sterotyping is based in preconceived ideas and hiw we judge through that bias..however flip side to that is not to judge a book by its cover..

I judge on here from content if a profile pics and text, often my first impressions have been clouded or skewd down to my judgement based in bias thinking....those first impressions have been proven wrong multiple times...

I dont leave anything out that may be judged as stereotypical as frankly thats not my stuff

By *wist my nipplesCouple
over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

I think we all make assumptions about people when we don't know them very well. These are bound to be stereotypical in nature as we have very limited information to work with. I guess the question for me is, are we willing to go beyond that and change our minds as we get to know someone better? Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't I think it's very difficult to form a rounded opinion of someone based on a fab profile.

Mrs kf x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

In real life i dont think i sterotype people just on here as thats all ive got to go on

over a year ago

"I’m stereotyped no1! "

May i ask what you mean?

over a year ago

What you're not a real life princess? I'm proper devastated

I'm more Bowzer "

Was about to say, I just see it as a Mario Reference tbh, nothing to do with expectations

over a year ago

We all have things that shape our perception, usually experience. "

Well said!

I tend to challenge people that present with stereotypes, it often makes for interesting convo

Post new Message to Thread