Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Best and worst birthday presents

Jump to newest

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

So, it's my birthday in a couple of days and I can't think of anything that I really want or need.

But it got me thinking about past birthdays and my best and worst presents.

What have been your best and worst?

My best was probably a load of video games, some beers and some custom art from my work mates in a newish job. I hadn't much confidence then and didn't think anyone really liked me, but this really made me feel accepted and pay off 'the family'.

My worst was probably a USB coffee warming mug from my parents, when I would have thought they would have known I have never d*unk tea or coffee.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heNYCSausageMan
over a year ago

Everton

"

"

Last year I got given a trip to Poland. First time I’d ever been there. Beautiful city and amazing food. Highly recommended.

I’ve never had a bad birthday cause I appreciate every item I’ve ever given.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My parents bought me a petrol can and jump leads for my car at 17. I know I should have been grateful but..... Px

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

My best, love from friends.

My worst, my 16th being forgotten by my parents and my ex saying "I'm going pub" and leaving me on my own, on my birthday as a reminder of my importance.... or lack of

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

For my 30th the Mrs got be a pot plant.

A small pot plant.

A small succulent pot plant

A small succulent pot plant that subsequently died.

Not that I am bitter about it...

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Best was a hot air balloon trip and ive not had a worst.

By *adyHWoman
over a year ago

South Glos

A yard of Jaffa Cakes - I don’t like Jaffa cakes haha

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

Best, Anything homemade off my daughter,

Worst, planting trees as thank you to the planet when I ws a child, it was the worst because I was a child with hippy parents, but I love how I was brought up now that i am grown up.

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"

Last year I got given a trip to Poland. First time I’d ever been there. Beautiful city and amazing food. Highly recommended.

I’ve never had a bad birthday cause I appreciate every item I’ve ever given. "

Nice!

My family are renowned for bad presents.

My Dad once bought my Mum a black dustbin (the sort that go outside the house) and that was it

I know we should be greatfull for everything, but sometimes it's hard

over a year ago

Im happy with happy birthday from those who matter

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"My parents bought me a petrol can and jump leads for my car at 17. I know I should have been grateful but..... Px"

It's nice to get something that has a bit of meaning rather than something that's just useful (unless we've asked for it) isn't it.

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"My best, love from friends.

My worst, my 16th being forgotten by my parents and my ex saying "I'm going pub" and leaving me on my own, on my birthday as a reminder of my importance.... or lack of "

Ouch!

How can anyone forget 'you', you're brilliant!

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"For my 30th the Mrs got be a pot plant.

A small pot plant.

A small succulent pot plant

A small succulent pot plant that subsequently died.

Not that I am bitter about it...

"

I like succulents. At least you had a (small) plant pot to remember it by

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Best birthday "presents" have been the weekends Mr KC and I went away for. This has been something of a tradition for a while now, but didn't happen in 2020 for obvious reasons. We've visited lots of different places and always had a wonderful time together.

Worst? I don't really get physical presents anymore. Probably some "smellies" that someone will have bought - they always go straight into a raffle

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"Best was a hot air balloon trip and ive not had a worst. "

Cool. I've always been interested in those, but after having kids I developed a fear of heights so I'm not quite sure how that'd work for me

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"A yard of Jaffa Cakes - I don’t like Jaffa cakes haha"

Swap you for a USB coffee warming mug! I love Jaffa cakes!

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"Best, Anything homemade off my daughter,

Worst, planting trees as thank you to the planet when I ws a child, it was the worst because I was a child with hippy parents, but I love how I was brought up now that i am grown up.

"

Presents from the kids are definitely the best.

I'm going to take mine out somewhere nice for my birthday and treat them. Seeing them happy makes me happy.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Best was a hot air balloon trip and ive not had a worst.

Cool. I've always been interested in those, but after having kids I developed a fear of heights so I'm not quite sure how that'd work for me "

It was well out my comfort zone absolutly noone thought id actually do it and i fucking loved it it was amazing

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I've been fortunate enough to receive a lot of lovely gifts throughout my life, but the ones that mean the most to me have been from people that I love that are personal and show how well that person knows me and knows what I like...a recent one was a gorgeous illustrated version of a book, accompanied by a delicious bottle of wine and a poem in my card.

I wouldn't say I've ever received a bad present, because I appreciate the fact that someone has taken the time and effort to get me a gift.

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"Best birthday "presents" have been the weekends Mr KC and I went away for. This has been something of a tradition for a while now, but didn't happen in 2020 for obvious reasons. We've visited lots of different places and always had a wonderful time together.

Worst? I don't really get physical presents anymore. Probably some "smellies" that someone will have bought - they always go straight into a raffle "

Hopefully with things easing up a bit, you'll be able to enjoy some time away this year, even if it is just somewhere in the UK. It's made me realise I've never been to Scotland, and that's definitely on the top of my list now.

over a year ago

When I buy a present for someone who doesn't particularly want anything I get lottery scratch cards.

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"I've been fortunate enough to receive a lot of lovely gifts throughout my life, but the ones that mean the most to me have been from people that I love that are personal and show how well that person knows me and knows what I like...a recent one was a gorgeous illustrated version of a book, accompanied by a delicious bottle of wine and a poem in my card.

I wouldn't say I've ever received a bad present, because I appreciate the fact that someone has taken the time and effort to get me a gift. "

That sounds like a great gift.

I 'try' so hard at getting personal, meaningful presents for people that matter to me, but it can be so tricky to find. I often end up making something... I hope they have always been liked though

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"When I buy a present for someone who doesn't particularly want anything I get lottery scratch cards."

Not a bad idea. Hopefully they'll share if they win big

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Best birthday "presents" have been the weekends Mr KC and I went away for. This has been something of a tradition for a while now, but didn't happen in 2020 for obvious reasons. We've visited lots of different places and always had a wonderful time together.

Worst? I don't really get physical presents anymore. Probably some "smellies" that someone will have bought - they always go straight into a raffle

Hopefully with things easing up a bit, you'll be able to enjoy some time away this year, even if it is just somewhere in the UK. It's made me realise I've never been to Scotland, and that's definitely on the top of my list now. "

One of our birthday weekends away was to Edinburgh. We had a jolly lovely time! We have until November for things to improve for this year, so here's hoping!

By *ersey GirlCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

My worst, my 16th being forgotten by my parents and my ex saying "I'm going pub" and leaving me on my own, on my birthday as a reminder of my importance.... or lack of "

Were you not talking about your birthday beforehand

R

By *ersey GirlCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Best- holiday to Dublin

worse-Mrs Brown DVD

R

over a year ago

Since wife died birthdays don’t get anything my wife bought me a motorcycle and wrapped it up with bow on it she wasn’t to know I nearly killed myself on it so it was right driving test luckily passed first time still mr speedy though

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I guess the worst birthday was my 30th. Two weeks before my husband left me and then i got sectioned

By *orraine999Woman
over a year ago

Somewhere

My best birthday gift was one I’d given myself 4 years ago, a trip to Manchester.

Worst, a flower off of a restaurant table.

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"Best- holiday to Dublin

worse-Mrs Brown DVD

R"

Mrs Brown! Urghh, I can't stand that show.

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"Since wife died birthdays don’t get anything my wife bought me a motorcycle and wrapped it up with bow on it she wasn’t to know I nearly killed myself on it so it was right driving test luckily passed first time still mr speedy though "

Sorry to hear about the wife and I'm glad you didn't kill yourself on it.

I love motorbikes too, but don't trust other road users enough to ride these days.

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"I guess the worst birthday was my 30th. Two weeks before my husband left me and then i got sectioned"

Oh no! That doesn't sound like a fun time. Hope things have picked up for you since (big hug)

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"My best birthday gift was one I’d given myself 4 years ago, a trip to Manchester.

Worst, a flower off of a restaurant table. "

That flower sounds like a slight afterthought. I hope they at least paid for the meal.

By *heNYCSausageMan
over a year ago

Everton

"

I’ve never had a bad birthday cause I appreciate every item I’ve ever given.

Nice!

"

It did help that the girlfriend at the time was a travel agent

By *adyHWoman
over a year ago

South Glos

"A yard of Jaffa Cakes - I don’t like Jaffa cakes haha

Swap you for a USB coffee warming mug! I love Jaffa cakes! "

Deal! I like my tea to stay hot haha

I’ll accept a personal delivery too...

over a year ago

Best: a posh handbag I bought it myself!

Worst: a bottle of radox & a cd presented to me in a Morrison’s bag (that was my 30th as well)

One of the myriad of reasons he is my ex- husband.

My ex mother in law also bought me a magnetic toaster tong and set of long latte spoons once as well.

By *orraine999Woman
over a year ago

Somewhere

"My best birthday gift was one I’d given myself 4 years ago, a trip to Manchester.

Worst, a flower off of a restaurant table.

That flower sounds like a slight afterthought. I hope they at least paid for the meal. "

Ex husband and yes, he paid.

By *luebellRacerCouple
over a year ago

Shropshire

Best: trip to Harry Potter studios with Mr Racer for my 30th, yeah I'm one of those big kids.

Worst: two birthdays in a row my dad and sister got me a cheap, crap timeturner necklace.. at least remember what you've already got me... they're literally plastic rubbish. I know it sounds ungrateful, but I'd just rather get nothing or a card!

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

My worst, my 16th being forgotten by my parents and my ex saying "I'm going pub" and leaving me on my own, on my birthday as a reminder of my importance.... or lack of

Were you not talking about your birthday beforehand

R"

With my parents? Hell no, you were expectant or entitled if you mentioned upcoming birthdays or Xmas.

The ex, well, he knew I'd booked the day off work for my birthday. I put some slap on and waited all day for him to let me know where we were going or what we were doing but not wanting to ask outright coz of spoiling any surprises.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Best have been almost every year since I turned 18 as I choose my birthday presents

Worst was the 5 years when the ex wanted to choose them

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

I’ll accept a personal delivery too... "

A personal delivery? Is that a euphemism?

I'm sure we could arrange something after lockdown... though the Jaffa Cakes might have gone stale.

Do Jaffa Cakes go stale?

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"Best: a posh handbag I bought it myself!

Worst: a bottle of radox & a cd presented to me in a Morrison’s bag (that was my 30th as well)

One of the myriad of reasons he is my ex- husband.

My ex mother in law also bought me a magnetic toaster tong and set of long latte spoons once as well."

FFS, did he not know Morrison's also sell gift bags?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

My best one recently was a memory foam pillow. God that makes me sound old.

Worst is none because someone forgets .

By *adyHWoman
over a year ago

South Glos

I'm sure we could arrange something after lockdown... though the Jaffa Cakes might have gone stale.

Do Jaffa Cakes go stale? "

I’ll have to buy new ones, those were eaten (by friends!) back when I received them!

....do they go stale....I’m going to say yes but they taste horrible either way haha

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"Best: trip to Harry Potter studios with Mr Racer for my 30th, yeah I'm one of those big kids.

Worst: two birthdays in a row my dad and sister got me a cheap, crap timeturner necklace.. at least remember what you've already got me... they're literally plastic rubbish. I know it sounds ungrateful, but I'd just rather get nothing or a card! "

I've never managed to get there yet. I'm guessing it's worth it?

Yes, people say it's the thought that counts, but occasionally the present shows there has been no thought.

What sort of necklace would you have preferred (I don't know much about jewellery tbh)?

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

"My best one recently was a memory foam pillow. God that makes me sound old.

Worst is none because someone forgets . "

They are pretty cool though

You've actually given me an idea as to what I want now too, as my pillows are awful.

By *luebellRacerCouple
over a year ago

Shropshire

"Best: trip to Harry Potter studios with Mr Racer for my 30th, yeah I'm one of those big kids.

Worst: two birthdays in a row my dad and sister got me a cheap, crap timeturner necklace.. at least remember what you've already got me... they're literally plastic rubbish. I know it sounds ungrateful, but I'd just rather get nothing or a card!

Yes, people say it's the thought that counts, but occasionally the present shows there has been no thought.

What sort of necklace would you have preferred (I don't know much about jewellery tbh)? "

Loved it. But I'm a proper geek, went dressed up, and as it was my actual birthday, I got to open the doors to the great hall on the first tour of the day.

I'm not even a jewellery person, so there was that.. just maybe not the same gift 2 years running

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

Do Jaffa Cakes go stale?

I’ll have to buy new ones, those were eaten (by friends!) back when I received them!

....do they go stale....I’m going to say yes but they taste horrible either way haha "

So you'd buy new Jaffa Cakes just so I could take them off your hands in person? I'm flattered and think I'd have to offer you more than just the USB mug!

By *ockosaurus OP   Man
over a year ago

Warwick

What sort of necklace would you have preferred (I don't know much about jewellery tbh)?

Loved it. But I'm a proper geek, went dressed up, and as it was my actual birthday, I got to open the doors to the great hall on the first tour of the day.

I'm not even a jewellery person, so there was that.. just maybe not the same gift 2 years running "

Was that in the costume you have in your photos? No wonder they let you open the doors

Post new Message to Thread