Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Friends Reunited

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I recently had a Facebook message from an old friend I hadn't seen in over 25 years and it reminded me how many people I've touch with over the years, mostly by moving and changing jobs quite often.

Are you good at keeping in touch with old friends or even former partners and lovers, or are you happy to move on to new friendships as your life changes ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I recently had a Facebook message from an old friend I hadn't seen in over 25 years and it reminded me why I didn't keep in touch with him.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/04/21 18:09:05]

over a year ago

When Friends United first came out all those years ago, then of course superseded by Facebook, it was great to catch up with a few messages from old school friends while it was still all new.

Then it all fell away again, Friends Reunited ended, and Facebook became crap so I left.

So back to square one and no worse off for it really.

over a year ago

Yes and no. I carefully try to pick friends who are good in getting in touch even if I am not..

over a year ago

"Yes and no. I carefully try to pick friends who are good in getting in touch even if I am not.. "

That sound like a clever strategy, one to remember.

over a year ago

"Yes and no. I carefully try to pick friends who are good in getting in touch even if I am not..

That sound like a clever strategy, one to remember. "

I never do anything mindlessly

over a year ago

"When Friends United first came out all those years ago, then of course superseded by Facebook, it was great to catch up with a few messages from old school friends while it was still all new.

Then it all fell away again, Friends Reunited ended, and Facebook became crap so I left.

So back to square one and no worse off for it really. "

That's kind of how I feel. It's interesting to know what people are up to, and that they're doing ok, but there's probably good reasons why we lost touch in most cases.

over a year ago

"I recently had a Facebook message from an old friend I hadn't seen in over 25 years and it reminded me why I didn't keep in touch with him."

A shame. I enjoyed hearing from my former friend and sharing some happy memories.

over a year ago

I want my friend back

over a year ago

"I want my friend back "

over a year ago

I'm rubbish at keeping in touch. When Facebook first hit and I joined to see what it was what put me right off it was lots of people from school contacting me. Deleted the account within a few days and never been back.

over a year ago

"I want my friend back "

What happened to your friend?

over a year ago

"I'm rubbish at keeping in touch. When Facebook first hit and I joined to see what it was what put me right off it was lots of people from school contacting me. Deleted the account within a few days and never been back."

It sounds like you prefer it that way ? As Estragon said, sometimes there's a reason we lose touch with people.

By *100Man
over a year ago

Essex

I like to talk to new people every day you never know where your next friend is coming from

over a year ago

I have no friends

My mom:

What are you talking about

Every girl you've ever asked out said they just wanted to be friends

By *adbury girlWoman
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I was in a team of 8 that were offered redundancy about 14/15 years ago. 4 out of the 8 of us still keep in touch and meet up a couple times of year in the same pub round the corner from where we worked together.

This past year has been the longest we haven’t seen each other and we can’t wait to meet as soon as we are allowed

over a year ago

"I have no friends

My mom:

What are you talking about

Every girl you've ever asked out said they just wanted to be friends"

I feel that, although I suspect you're being rather modest !

over a year ago

"I was in a team of 8 that were offered redundancy about 14/15 years ago. 4 out of the 8 of us still keep in touch and meet up a couple times of year in the same pub round the corner from where we worked together.

This past year has been the longest we haven’t seen each other and we can’t wait to meet as soon as we are allowed "

Ah brilliant, and I bet you'll have a great reunion with a drink or three I'm envious too.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm in touch with one person from school and that's it. Both of us tend to move on. Occasionally someone will contact one of the other of us from years ago we haven't been tempted to do more than just politely chat for a while, yet...

over a year ago

Absolutely terrible at keeping in touch

By *hrough the looking gla55Couple
over a year ago

Cheam

I reached out to a friend a few years back who I was my besties with in high school. We hadn’t spoken in like almost ten years and then just picked up again like it was ten minutes

Still haven’t had a chance to see her so she’s on my list

Bx

over a year ago

"I'm rubbish at keeping in touch. When Facebook first hit and I joined to see what it was what put me right off it was lots of people from school contacting me. Deleted the account within a few days and never been back.

It sounds like you prefer it that way ? As Estragon said, sometimes there's a reason we lose touch with people."

Yes I do. Have always been comfortable in my own company. People tend to make me their friend rather than the other way around. I used to get through friendships like other people change their socks.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I have an awful lot of people on my Facebook who I've been close friends or acquaintances with at different stages in life, but no longer have anything in common with other than those shared memories from years ago before our lives went in other directions. It's nice to occasionally see how they're doing on there but I'll probably never see many of them again.

over a year ago

"I have an awful lot of people on my Facebook who I've been close friends or acquaintances with at different stages in life, but no longer have anything in common with other than those shared memories from years ago before our lives went in other directions. It's nice to occasionally see how they're doing on there but I'll probably never see many of them again."

That's similar to me, but there's a few I do think about seeing again.

over a year ago

"I reached out to a friend a few years back who I was my besties with in high school. We hadn’t spoken in like almost ten years and then just picked up again like it was ten minutes

Still haven’t had a chance to see her so she’s on my list

Bx "

What a positive outcome, good luck on your reunion

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

I am horrendous at keeping in touch, because well, I doubt very much someone wants to get a message from me. So I live in my own little world, occasionally people pop their head around the door to make sure I’m not eating the crayons, but other than that it’s a solitary existence for me (not complaining, that’s the way I loikes it)

over a year ago

"I am horrendous at keeping in touch, because well, I doubt very much someone wants to get a message from me. So I live in my own little world, occasionally people pop their head around the door to make sure I’m not eating the crayons, but other than that it’s a solitary existence for me (not complaining, that’s the way I loikes it) "

I often enjoy your posts on Forum if that counts as wanting a message from you ?!

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"I am horrendous at keeping in touch, because well, I doubt very much someone wants to get a message from me. So I live in my own little world, occasionally people pop their head around the door to make sure I’m not eating the crayons, but other than that it’s a solitary existence for me (not complaining, that’s the way I loikes it)

I often enjoy your posts on Forum if that counts as wanting a message from you ?!"

Kind of you to say, thank you.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

I was lucky enough to reconnect with a friend I grew up with as a wee child unaware he was searching for me but I never forgotten about either so one day I thought I'd give it a try and before they got the chance to reply I messaged if they fancied to come out and play we lived on the same street as we grew up until teen I moved north and unexpectedly they moved to Yorkshire so quickly requested the number and spent hours over the phone haven't saw each other well over 30 years and this virus has put a block for a reunion I'm so looking forward to since they are Now under management of a bar never thought would be something they would go for and unexpectedly the other one moved to Glasgow unaware my time living in Scotland so close I can see will be tears of joy when the time comes

By *odgerMan
over a year ago

Coventry(ish)

"I recently had a Facebook message from an old friend I hadn't seen in over 25 years and it reminded me how many people I've touch with over the years, mostly by moving and changing jobs quite often.

Are you good at keeping in touch with old friends or even former partners and lovers, or are you happy to move on to new friendships as your life changes ?"

Of course, as life moves on, different places, different jobs, kids you make new 'friends' though quite often they're more like acquaintances as you get older. Strong bonds, particularly I think for guys, are formed in younger years, nights out, weekends away, going out with work folk etc etc. When kids arrive that time becomes much rarer and then as you get older its simply impossible to meet all the folk you'd like to see regularly because there just isn't enough time.

But then you do have those that you meet years later and carry on as though it were yesterday....and yes there's quite a few that when you start chatting again you do realise why you hadn't kept in touch.

over a year ago

Thanks for the above guys ^. I do think its harder for men to make new friends as we get older, or that's been my experience. That's what got me thinking about those friends I'd left behind.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Thanks for the above guys ^. I do think its harder for men to make new friends as we get older, or that's been my experience. That's what got me thinking about those friends I'd left behind."

I wouldn't agree since I've made very good friends all around UK and amount from living where I am but lived south doesn't feel like that I had moved more like born here as I connect with folk same applies to my years in Scotland, being open little loud and outspoken is the key

By *lessedXXXWoman
over a year ago

“I never meet”

I’ve only got a handful of Facebook friends and don’t open messages from anyone not a friend.

Anyone in my past can stay right where they are, I’m looking to the future, that’s all that matters to me

By *lessedXXXWoman
over a year ago

“I never meet”

"Thanks for the above guys ^. I do think its harder for men to make new friends as we get older, or that's been my experience. That's what got me thinking about those friends I'd left behind."

It’s easier for men, you just go to the pub or to a football match and get chatting.

It’s harder for women especially if the kids have grown up and they’re not into the gym etc.

In my case run my business from home and don’t encounter people in real life so it’s really difficult to meet anyone to make friends with

By *revaunanceCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

Some friends you genuinely lose contact with, others you choose to let slip.

At this point there are only two questions:

1. Are you the slipper or the slippee.

2. Have I just made up the word slippee?

over a year ago

"

Are you good at keeping in touch with old friends or even former partners and lovers, or are you happy to move on to new friendships as your life changes ?"

I’ve lost touch with old friends. Some that I talk/think about often and I truly miss them. Even sone that I worked with for a length of time I considered friends more than just a workmate.

I recently reconnected with an old pal a few years ago and has become a good friend again, and I I think I now know why my friends might drift off like they did.

Good friends are like work colleagues, they kinda get you through life with a little bit of encouragement and laughter. They are also there to show you it ain’t all hard work if you have a pal to help you out.

over a year ago

"Some friends you genuinely lose contact with, others you choose to let slip.

At this point there are only two questions:

1. Are you the slipper or the slippee.

2. Have I just made up the word slippee?"

2.Probably but I like it!

over a year ago

"Thanks for the above guys ^. I do think its harder for men to make new friends as we get older, or that's been my experience. That's what got me thinking about those friends I'd left behind.

It’s easier for men, you just go to the pub or to a football match and get chatting.

It’s harder for women especially if the kids have grown up and they’re not into the gym etc.

In my case run my business from home and don’t encounter people in real life so it’s really difficult to meet anyone to make friends with "

I'm not a pub person so that's ruled out, perhaps I'll start drinking more.

I also was self employed for several years and it can definitely limits the opportunities for new friendships.

over a year ago

"

Are you good at keeping in touch with old friends or even former partners and lovers, or are you happy to move on to new friendships as your life changes ?

I’ve lost touch with old friends. Some that I talk/think about often and I truly miss them. Even sone that I worked with for a length of time I considered friends more than just a workmate.

I recently reconnected with an old pal a few years ago and has become a good friend again, and I I think I now know why my friends might drift off like they did.

Good friends are like work colleagues, they kinda get you through life with a little bit of encouragement and laughter. They are also there to show you it ain’t all hard work if you have a pal to help you out.

"

I'm sure lockdown has made us all even more aware of the importance of real friends. Great to hear about your renewed friendship, long may it last

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I'm really bad at keeping in touch with anyone must be why I'm Billy no mates

By *ostonJoeMan
over a year ago

Boston

Getting in touch with old friends only serves to remind you why you are no longer friends.

over a year ago

"Getting in touch with old friends only serves to remind you why you are no longer friends. "

Sometimes but hopefully not always, as some of the stories here prove

over a year ago

I’m awful at it

Post new Message to Thread