Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Reading too much into things

Jump to newest

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Watching Frozen 2 this morning (don’t ask) and I remember when the film came out that a lot of people read into the plot line as being a ‘coming out’ allegory. I’m not saying that it’s wrong but it seems to be a bit of a reach.

This has got me thinking, do you read too much into things? Do you try to burrow into something and see deeper meanings and try to draw comparisons to your personal circumstances?

Is something ‘just a thing’?

Is there a balance between reading into meanings and stretching too far?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i read so deeply into everything, that i basically follow the antipode all the way through to the Pacific Px

By *MrandMrsRedxCouple
over a year ago

Wiltshire

I am getting much better but I find it difficult to take things at face value. I’ll be watching a film or TV show and just go deep, this also happens in every day life. I am improving though and beginning to allow some things to just be things

Mr

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I like to think about what the influences might be behind things for sure.

When it comes to people though I'm quite a literal person. Sometimes I like to ponder upon subconscious influences on people's behaviour but as for the whole world of intentionally saying one thing when you mean another or trying to send a message with obscure actions, it's a mystery to me. I get frustrated when people try to find hidden meanings in what I say and do as I wouldn't even know where to begin with doing that. It seems like a lot of effort. Either say it or don't.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"i read so deeply into everything, that i basically follow the antipode all the way through to the Pacific Px "

I like that turn of phrase

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Now that purely depends on my mood at the time, I can make my brain overthink and latch onto a quality of the film that I wouldn't do if my mindset was different.

I like looking at things through others eyes and seeing if I can have some understanding of their point of view, especially if it doesn't match my own

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Everyone said that inception was really complex so i had invented a whole back story and was quite disappointed with the ending.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've noticed that a lot of people over think. I don't think it's something that can be controlled.

I suspect I under think.

I tend to take things at face value unless asked to consider them more deeply.

over a year ago

Never been a particularly deep thinker. I tend to take things at face value, unless something occurs to me about what I'm watching or reading.

It is interesting when you find out later from a creator that a piece of work had an underlying message or meaning though.

over a year ago

I can think analytically without being over analytical about most things

over a year ago

People always want to put 2+2 together and get 5 or 7.

I find it exhausting when people want to go over and over the same stuff

It's like they are looking for something/drama that doesn't exist... But then again i do think i am more man than woman with my approach to life haha

over a year ago

Now critical thinking.. That is very exciting!

over a year ago

Yep everytime i watch a movie i find a new way to frame the meaning in my head same with music

over a year ago

Yeah I often find myself reading into things. I can be a deep thinker, especially with music I often look into the meaning of the lyrics...

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

It depends. If something is very clearly stated and I understand it then I will take it on face value. Quite often when I overthink there's ambiguity or one thing is said which is in direct contrast to a previously stated thing which confuses me. I do also read into things depending on my frame of mind at the time, how personally I take something... if I've compartmentalised whatever it is, I've got a distance and it's far easier for me to accept it rather than think too much about it.

I deliberately avoid searching for a deeper meaning when it comes to the Arts for the most part as I spent five years doing so and that was intense enough!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'll sometimes watch a film, read a book or see some art that makes me think about a deeper meaning. If I know someone has an agenda I pick up on veiled insult. Mostly I wander around in blissful ignorance.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I try not to. Ignorance is bliss.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Life is a choose your own adventure book.

Over thinking is the equivalent of keeping your fingers on those pages where you made decisions, so you can try and follow them through to the end, so that you can go back and try another choice.

over a year ago

"Never been a particularly deep thinker. I tend to take things at face value, unless something occurs to me about what I'm watching or reading.

It is interesting when you find out later from a creator that a piece of work had an underlying message or meaning though."

Like art?

over a year ago

"Now critical thinking.. That is very exciting! "

Why exciting?

over a year ago

I'm the opposite, I read Animal Farm convinced it was an allegorical account of the Russian revolution. Turned out it was a story about pigs....

over a year ago

You could probably say I'm difficult, I probably talk too much. I over-analyze and over-think things. Yes it's a nasty crutch

I'm usually only waiting for you to stop talking

So that I can, Concerning two-way streets I have to say, that I am not a fan.

over a year ago

If it helps you process some feelings.. maybe it's just an over feeling. And you can spiral too much into both thinking and feeling. Maybe sometimes we are just over stimulated these days and find it difficult to just be, just see, just listen.

over a year ago

"i read so deeply into everything, that i basically follow the antipode all the way through to the Pacific Px "

x

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I think it's only too much if you get it wrong.

Often it can be our own projection, other times it's from patterns we've picked up on through our lives. If it helps us understand more about ourselves then I don't think it's always a bad thing.

If you're wrong tho, it can go spectacularly wrong and really cause problems.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"I think it's only too much if you get it wrong.

Often it can be our own projection, other times it's from patterns we've picked up on through our lives. If it helps us understand more about ourselves then I don't think it's always a bad thing.

If you're wrong tho, it can go spectacularly wrong and really cause problems."

I will add tho, switch off time is necessary to function properly, or you can get al consumed by anything and everything. I go through phases of trying to make sense of stuff, it can be to my detriment.

By *eorge JetsonMan
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

I'm doing this right now with falcon and the winter soldier. I've got about 10 different sub plots going on in my head trying to tie up loose ends that I don't even need to be thinking about

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

In art I love it. I really enjoy the interplay between literal and figurative, metaphor, the different ways symbols can be manipulated and interpreted.

In person it's a waste of time.

over a year ago

"I try not to. Ignorance is bliss.

"

Ignorance is bliss! Trying not to is the tough bit.

Post new Message to Thread