Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Health snd long term issues

Jump to newest

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

So I’m sure most of you know since 2018 I’ve had a few problems, I’m ok, but suffer long term issues...

So here I want some opinions

I was diagnosed in July 2018 with spinal stenosis then 1 month later throat cancer, in 2019 I had a mild stroke from thinking of my arteries due to radiotherapy...

Ok ok

So here’s the thing, I’m ok I can do most things, but walking is really painful, so I have looked it up, apparently I qualify to be registered disabled.

Thus I can get a disability allowance, but in some ways I feel a fraud for even thinking about it, I spoke to my wife today about it, then dismissed it...

This evening I looked it up, despite spends £1000 plus on private injections it’s not any better, I literally can walk a couple of hundred yards before it’s agony..

I do try to do things, which I probably shouldn’t do,, I even do delivery work which kills me tbh.

Is it time to consider this as a serious option and try to live a life less painful?

Latest issue is nerve damage in right arm ( since Xmas I have had to wear a brace on my wrist)

I trust you fabbers to give considered and unbiased opinions

Thanks

Stella

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Apply for PIP, if you're entitled to it and awarded, take it.

I know a lot of people who went through the same thing when first claiming, feeling like a a fraud etc. Certainly not an uncommon thing.

It's there to help those with disability so claim everything you can. Partner may also be eligible for carers allowance depending on earnings etc.

By *irty PrettyWoman
over a year ago

Cardiff

Don’t feel like a fraud, if you need it you need it. It might be worth looking into a blue badge as well.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Apply for PIP, if you're entitled to it and awarded, take it.

I know a lot of people who went through the same thing when first claiming, feeling like a a fraud etc. Certainly not an uncommon thing.

It's there to help those with disability so claim everything you can. Partner may also be eligible for carers allowance depending on earnings etc."

Thanks

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Don’t feel like a fraud, if you need it you need it. It might be worth looking into a blue badge as well."

Thanks

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Definitely apply for PIP but join groups on FB and get advice on filling out the forms, gather as much evidence as you can (don't rely on the GP to fill out any forms)

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Talk to citizens advice about what you're entitled to.

By *hortarseWoman
over a year ago

Norfolk

I have the same with my back. I know how you feel. I don't claim for my illness because I feel like I can do things. I get by with the money I get as single parent. I walk everywhere try keep up with my exercise. I have my good days and bad days.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Definitely apply for PIP but join groups on FB and get advice on filling out the forms, gather as much evidence as you can (don't rely on the GP to fill out any forms) "
thank you

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"I have the same with my back. I know how you feel. I don't claim for my illness because I feel like I can do things. I get by with the money I get as single parent. I walk everywhere try keep up with my exercise. I have my good days and bad days."

I try I really do

But even mowing the lawns is really really painful

I can take a lot of pain, cancer taught me what pain you can put up with..

Even had to take prescribed morphine just to eat when I had cancer...

Zombie for6 weeks

By *inkyandperky555Couple
over a year ago

swansea

If you have been working all your life paying in then your entitlement look at all the illegal ones doing it your genuine so do it.

over a year ago

Get what you can out of the system. Had this with hubby. Worked for 30 years then was diagnosed with cancer. He's OK day to day, but can't work because of chemo and needing a medical as an hgv driver. He hated "claiming", but he's paid into the system long enough...

By *hortarseWoman
over a year ago

Norfolk

"I have the same with my back. I know how you feel. I don't claim for my illness because I feel like I can do things. I get by with the money I get as single parent. I walk everywhere try keep up with my exercise. I have my good days and bad days.

I try I really do

But even mowing the lawns is really really painful

I can take a lot of pain, cancer taught me what pain you can put up with..

Even had to take prescribed morphine just to eat when I had cancer...

Zombie for6 weeks"

I take a lot pain killers. More than I should to get me through.

Get in touch with the job centre there people that can help you get what you want. Good luck

over a year ago

west here ford shire

So read up on it...

Unless I can’t walk unless with walking frame

I won’t qualify...

Thanks everyone but it seems permanent pain isn’t enough

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"So read up on it...

I won’t qualify...

Thanks everyone but it seems permanent pain isn’t enough"

This is not true. PIP is scaled depending on the level of disability. When you apply, answer the questions based on your very worst day and you have to focus on what you CAN'T do, rather than what you can. Definitely apply for a blue badge too. Hidden disabilities like autism can qualify for a blue badge now, so there's nothing about having to walk with aids either.

It's not going to cost you anything to apply...

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

"So I’m sure most of you know since 2018 I’ve had a few problems, I’m ok, but suffer long term issues...

So here I want some opinions

I was diagnosed in July 2018 with spinal stenosis then 1 month later throat cancer, in 2019 I had a mild stroke from thinking of my arteries due to radiotherapy...

Ok ok

So here’s the thing, I’m ok I can do most things, but walking is really painful, so I have looked it up, apparently I qualify to be registered disabled.

Thus I can get a disability allowance, but in some ways I feel a fraud for even thinking about it, I spoke to my wife today about it, then dismissed it...

This evening I looked it up, despite spends £1000 plus on private injections it’s not any better, I literally can walk a couple of hundred yards before it’s agony..

I do try to do things, which I probably shouldn’t do,, I even do delivery work which kills me tbh.

Is it time to consider this as a serious option and try to live a life less painful?

Latest issue is nerve damage in right arm ( since Xmas I have had to wear a brace on my wrist)

I trust you fabbers to give considered and unbiased opinions

Thanks

Stella"

Definitely apply... hopefully you will be successful ..but the government screwed a lot of people over trying to save money.... you're living with a lot of issues that healthy people don't have to deal with... and the quality of society should be how it cares for the less lucky

over a year ago

"So read up on it...

I won’t qualify...

This is not true. PIP is scaled depending on the level of disability. When you apply, answer the questions based on your very worst day and you have to focus on what you CAN'T do, rather than what you can. Definitely apply for a blue badge too. Hidden disabilities like autism can qualify for a blue badge now, so there's nothing about having to walk with aids either.

It's not going to cost you anything to apply..."

I was just about to post the same re just applying and making it your worst day etc.

You can download the scoring and assessment criteria as well to help tailor your answers and include key words etc.

As for the hidden disabilities, they really dont make that easy. Still worth a try though.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"So read up on it...

I won’t qualify...

It's not going to cost you anything to apply..."

Thanks I’ll try

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

Nothing fraudulent about your circumstances. Claim for everything and anything you can and hope that it eases your situation.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Nothing fraudulent about your circumstances. Claim for everything and anything you can and hope that it eases your situation. "

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

It's about being able to do things repeatedly, safely and in a reasonable amount of time.

I would also suggest an OT, to see if you need any aids, you get points for them. Honestly, get an the help you can, don't suffer x

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Nothing fraudulent about your circumstances. Claim for everything and anything you can and hope that it eases your situation. "

Post new Message to Thread