Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Death of Prince Philip

Jump to newest

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Does the death of Prince Philip just short of his 100th birthday, and the fact that the Queen will be 95 this year, provide an opportune time for Charles to become monarch.

I feel no personal connection to the concept of a monarchy, but it is clearly an important facet of British culture that many citizens identify with.

Charles himself is not a young man, and if the Queen remains in power for several more years, might it be more appropriate for William to become monarch when the Queen dies, rather than Charles.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Why deny Charles his time, however brief it may be

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

You can't penalise someone just because their mother lives "too long"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Charles will never pass up his chance to be king.

Lu

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Depends how badly Charles wants to be King. And on protocol I’d imagine, not sure if he HAS to be King, or whether he can just pass to William.

It’s probably all very complicated.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Charles will never pass up his chance to be king.

Lu "

Tend to agree, plus it gives more time for his son to get ready for what the role entails..

over a year ago

It is kind of like History repeating itself. Because Victoria was on the throne until she was an old lady and consequently died, Edward VII was only on the throne 10 years until he died and I believe George V only 26 years ?

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Although I regard the concept of a constitutional monarchy as an anachronism, the British royal family appear to have been relatively successful in reinventing themselves as times change.

For example, becoming the Windsors rather than Saxe Coburg Gotha around the time of the first work war, I think during the reign of George V was an adroit decision.

The death of Prince Philip and in due course the Queen will merely accelerate emerging attitudes in Australia and Canada to drop the monarchical connection.

I think advisors to the British royal family will be assessing what will be most advantageous to the Windsors, at this watershed.

Prince Charles may have too much baggage, whereas William would bring youth vitality and potential longevity (and a young wife from humble stock) to this institution.

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

No matter how long he will reign I think Prince Charles should be king it is his birth right isn’t it and what he has trained for and sacrifice all these years.

over a year ago

Charles wants it, William doesn't. Although he knows he will have to eventually, he will be happy to keep it at bay as long as possible.

over a year ago

Not sure it matters anymore

over a year ago

I'm not sure there is a choice. Charles will be King because that is the order of the crown.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

perhaps the queen should be the last monarch

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

I kinda like the idea of the country having it's own matriarch that just about every generation throughout the world can relate to. Politicians rise and fall, but Her Majesty has always seemed as perennial as the grass, although I do know that she can't go on forever. I am bias as well because, my own mum is 88 and gets treated like a queen.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I think William would be the more popular choice.

Charles can chill and oversee what he already has.

I don’t think he will though.

By *esi_maverickMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I'd love to see Harry as king even though it would never happen.

By *atonMan
over a year ago

barnet

Cant contain my apathy

over a year ago

"perhaps the queen should be the last monarch "

Yes now is the time to end it all.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The queen won't abdicate, Charles will succeed to the throne as long as he outlives her.

The older the monarch the older their advisers and the more outdated the monarchy is. As an institution it's been reactive rather than proactive throughout history, whether that will change when Charles succeeds I don't know.

I don't expect to ever see Britain become a republic.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

We have been Elizabethans, Edwardians, Victorians. Will we become right Charlies ?

over a year ago

Maybe its time to abolish the monarchy.

over a year ago

Changing subject, has BBC and ITV gone totally overboard with their coverage of this ?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Does the death of Prince Philip just short of his 100th birthday, and the fact that the Queen will be 95 this year, provide an opportune time for Charles to become monarch.

I feel no personal connection to the concept of a monarchy, but it is clearly an important facet of British culture that many citizens identify with.

Charles himself is not a young man, and if the Queen remains in power for several more years, might it be more appropriate for William to become monarch when the Queen dies, rather than Charles.

"

It's never been about who or what is appropriate either. History would be very different were that the case

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Changing subject, has BBC and ITV gone totally overboard with their coverage of this ? "

They always do with anything royal. Rehashing the same bit of news a thousand times. In this day and age of 24/7 news broadcasting why do we have to sacrifice at least 2 TV stations to being told over and over again that someone has died?

It's the same with the marriages as well.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

"We have been Elizabethans, Edwardians, Victorians. Will we become right Charlies ?"

Charlie’s then Willies

I think Charles will be king once Elizabeth has gone, that’s the way it should be, he will probably 70 himself by then

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"We have been Elizabethans, Edwardians, Victorians. Will we become right Charlies ?

Charlie’s then Willies

I think Charles will be king once Elizabeth has gone, that’s the way it should be, he will probably 70 himself by then "

He's 72 now

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Changing subject, has BBC and ITV gone totally overboard with their coverage of this ? "

God yes. I've gone on shutdown. Can't listen to music stations or chat stations or the t.v.

He dies and my usual routine has to stop ?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Still no update on when we can watch the Masterchef final

over a year ago

"Changing subject, has BBC and ITV gone totally overboard with their coverage of this ?

God yes. I've gone on shutdown. Can't listen to music stations or chat stations or the t.v.

He dies and my usual routine has to stop ? "

I have made a complaint using the link the BBC has made as apparently they have been bombarded with complaints - I fully expect the reply to be “just wait till the Queen pops her clogs this is just a taster mate”

over a year ago

"Still no update on when we can watch the Masterchef final"

So who do you think will win? I think it will be Mike? And don’t you think Tom is a dead spit for Sheridan Smith?

over a year ago

Does Cromwell have any living descendants?

By *AABMan
over a year ago

Not far

The notion that we are subjects to someone because God choose them is all just a bit silly. The monarchy is great for the tourists but I really can’t get excited about them.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

"We have been Elizabethans, Edwardians, Victorians. Will we become right Charlies ?

Charlie’s then Willies

I think Charles will be king once Elizabeth has gone, that’s the way it should be, he will probably 70 himself by then

He's 72 now "

Oops I meant 80’s

By *AABMan
over a year ago

Not far

"Changing subject, has BBC and ITV gone totally overboard with their coverage of this ?

I have made a complaint using the link the BBC has made as apparently they have been bombarded with complaints - I fully expect the reply to be “just wait till the Queen pops her clogs this is just a taster mate”

"

It’s the obsequious Nicolas Witchell that grinds my gears

over a year ago

I thought royalty that had divorced couldn't become king/queen.

I'm probably very wrong.

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

"Still no update on when we can watch the Masterchef final"

Oh this!!!!!!!!!

It’s very sad for his family when an old man dies ......

(Is that restrained enough)

By *adbury girlWoman
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I think it should end when the queen dies, however don’t think it will.

I used to think William and Harry were more in touch with ‘the people’ however after William and Kate doing a whistle stop tour during a pandemic when people’s movements were restricted it showed they aren’t really in touch and Harry, well he has his own issues at present

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Charlie’s then Willies

He's 72 now

Oops I meant 80’s "

Lol he probably will be the poor chap.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

I dont understand the point of the discussion. We dont get any say in any of it. If you want a royal family, then they will do what suits themselves. Thats part and parcel of having a royal family. You just have to live with what they decide to do. Its not like its actually going to affect anyone else other than themselves anyway.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

The Queen is 95. She doesn't have many more years left herself.

By *en_Dover79Man
over a year ago

Oswaldtwistle

monarchy will never end.. we have had it 1000 years or so and will still have it in another 1000 years..

what is the alternative? A new president every 4/8 years? no thanks

while we have the monarchy we have the commonwealth and a kingdom.. we have the most stable regime in the world. get rid of all that and we will get overrun by military dictators.

The commonwealth countries back us up as allies in event of war. being little old England we would be on our arses..

Much rather live under the Royal family than a Putin or kim jong

anyone an idea who they would want as head of state if we had no royals?

By *r Rubba LoverMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"Why deny Charles his time, however brief it may be "

He may choose to pass it down to Wills. Simply because the monarch isn't allowed to speak out on politically sensitive issues such as climate change, decarbonisation and such.

Not assuming the crown will allow him to fully persue his green agenda whilst also having the ear of the monarch to green light things.

over a year ago

No!

By *AABMan
over a year ago

Not far

"monarchy will never end.. we have had it 1000 years or so and will still have it in another 1000 years..

while we have the monarchy we have the commonwealth and a kingdom.. we have the most stable regime in the world. get rid of all that and we will get overrun by military dictators.

The commonwealth countries back us up as allies in event of war. being little old England we would be on our arses..

anyone an idea who they would want as head of state if we had no royals?"

France, Germany, Spain are republics and are not over run with military dictators. They seem to do rather well actually without a class system or aristocracy hoarding 95% of the nation’s wealth.

By *en_Dover79Man
over a year ago

Oswaldtwistle

"monarchy will never end.. we have had it 1000 years or so and will still have it in another 1000 years..

France, Germany, Spain are republics and are not over run with military dictators. They seem to do rather well actually without a class system or aristocracy hoarding 95% of the nation’s wealth."

go live in one of them then if you dont like the royals

By *en_Dover79Man
over a year ago

Oswaldtwistle

France, Germany, Spain are republics and are not over run with military dictators. They seem to do rather well actually without a class system or aristocracy hoarding 95% of the nation’s wealth."

Spain has a monarchy.. King Felipe

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Why deny Charles his time, however brief it may be

He may choose to pass it down to Wills. Simply because the monarch isn't allowed to speak out on politically sensitive issues such as climate change, decarbonisation and such.

Not assuming the crown will allow him to fully persue his green agenda whilst also having the ear of the monarch to green light things."

he can't choose to pass the crown to William. It really isn't up to him. He can't decline the throne, renounce it or abdicate. It requires agreement by parliament and legislation

By *AABMan
over a year ago

Not far

France, Germany, Spain are republics and are not over run with military dictators. They seem to do rather well actually without a class system or aristocracy hoarding 95% of the nation’s wealth.

go live in one of them then if you dont like the royals"

What a ridiculous thing to say. This is the country of my birth, I like it here mostly and it’s convenient. But I couldn’t give a shit about the royals. If it wasn’t for the tourism interest they generate, I’d say abolish them.

By *apiomanMan
over a year ago

Shipley

The whole principle of the hereditary monarchy is that the crown passes to eldest child of the king or queen. Who decides that Charles should be missed out? Personally I think he shouldn’t be king, but I think we can do without kings and queens full stop. But if we do have them, let’s do it properly!

By *ine TimeMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"France, Germany, Spain are republics and are not over run with military dIctators."

Napoleon

Hitler

Franco...the last even within your own living memory.

Also, as has been pointed out, Spain does in fact have a monarchy.

over a year ago

Does it actually matter? Queen Elizabeth has been an exception. The monarchy is an out of date concept now. No-one in that family has the stature to fill her shoes. We should move on from this idea to a presidential system once she passes away.

over a year ago

"

go live in one of them then if you dont like the royals"

over a year ago

"Charles wants it, William doesn't. Although he knows he will have to eventually, he will be happy to keep it at bay as long as possible."

See this is what's on my mind now. I have historically always supported the monarchy, and debated with those that would abolish it. Maybe it's because I come from a military family. And was conditioned to sing "God save the Queen" through Brownies then cadets! But looking at it now, the life Harry and William have had. Luxury yes but everything before their mother died then after, and hounded by press. And looking at the Harry/Meghan shitshow now. I would abolish it all purely so no more children have to be born into the whole "duty to their country" thing. History maybe takes a dim view of Edward abdicating to be with Wallis Simpson. But perhaps he was actually the bravest

over a year ago

"I kinda like the idea of the country having it's own matriarch that just about every generation throughout the world can relate to. Politicians rise and fall, but Her Majesty has always seemed as perennial as the grass, although I do know that she can't go on forever. I am bias as well because, my own mum is 88 and gets treated like a queen. "

Yes, but it could have been Princess Margaret if she'd been born first. Imagine that?! We dodged a bullet and that's the problem with an heriditary system, you're stuck with them possibly for decades.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

So what if Margaret had been queen? Would it have made any difference to the lives of the vast majority of this country? No.

They dont make any decisions that affect you. They know what can happen if they try to interfere. They learned that lesson a long time ago.

Why the assumption that you have to replace them with an elected head of state?

over a year ago

If she abdicatef the responsibility of Monarch to Charles, would her title still be HM The Queen or Queen Elizabeth II

or summat else?

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

The constitution doesn't allow for the queen to abdicate and pass on the mantel to Charles. From what I have read, abdication does not just mean the monarch steps aside and the next in line takes over. Abdication is the abdication of the entire line. So the monarchy would go to the person who otherwise would be have been next in line if it hadn't been the current monarch. I'm not sure who that would be.

The monarch is really only a ceremonial role. I'm not sure why it's a problem the Charles has had to wait a long time.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

"I kinda like the idea of the country having it's own matriarch that just about every generation throughout the world can relate to. Politicians rise and fall, but Her Majesty has always seemed as perennial as the grass, although I do know that she can't go on forever. I am bias as well because, my own mum is 88 and gets treated like a queen.

Yes, but it could have been Princess Margaret if she'd been born first. Imagine that?! We dodged a bullet and that's the problem with an heriditary system, you're stuck with them possibly for decades. "

Back in the day, with the issuance of the Magna Carta waaaaaay back in 1215, the ruling monarch held absolute power over his/her subjects. When King John popped his seal to the Magna Carta, the folk of England slowly gained more rights as the power of the monarchy became much more limited.

As our British head of state, the Queen has the right to be consulted, the right to encourage, and the right to warn, but she is required to act on the advice of her governors, even when she disagrees with them. She can and does, however, retain the absolute right to veto any legislation she deems unfit.

She can also fire the prime minister, but he can’t do the same to her, so it seems that when all things are taken into consideration, the Queen is super powerful, but, if you look at how many plonker PM’s we’ve had, without The Queen giving them the old heave-ho, it’s more likely that we should be worried by our PM’s actions than our Queen’s.

So what I’m trying to say is that she is just The Managing Director and signs off the paperwork put before her, it’s those beneath her who set wheels in motion and have their own agenda. It’s them we need to keep an eye on.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Does the death of Prince Philip just short of his 100th birthday, and the fact that the Queen will be 95 this year, provide an opportune time for Charles to become monarch.

"

Royal protocol would not permit Charles to be skipped and William crowned. Jesus the royal courtiers would have a major breakdown at the thought! Rules are rules!

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"The constitution doesn't allow for the queen to abdicate and pass on the mantel to Charles. From what I have read, abdication does not just mean the monarch steps aside and the next in line takes over. Abdication is the abdication of the entire line. So the monarchy would go to the person who otherwise would be have been next in line if it hadn't been the current monarch. I'm not sure who that would be.

The monarch is really only a ceremonial role. I'm not sure why it's a problem the Charles has had to wait a long time. "

The Duke of Windsor abdicated and his brother became King

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It would be good for her to be the last and them to return their riches to the nation. Failing that, Charles to get his turn, when she's gone.

over a year ago

It’s the obsequious Nicolas Witchell that grinds my gears "

Even prince Charles was overheard saying "I can't stand that man".

By *he_virgin_maryWoman
over a year ago

Here, there and everywhere!

Just as Liz has said she would never abdicate, Charles has always said he constantly on preparing to become king so I don't think we should deny him that one thing he has always been destined to be.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 11/04/21 16:06:17]

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

It will be a shame if there is never a Charles the Third...

Richard (and Thora) could do with someone else to take the strain.

over a year ago

"I kinda like the idea of the country having it's own matriarch that just about every generation throughout the world can relate to. Politicians rise and fall, but Her Majesty has always seemed as perennial as the grass, although I do know that she can't go on forever. I am bias as well because, my own mum is 88 and gets treated like a queen. "

This is an important point. The British monarchy has provided a constant through all the political ebbs and flows of the decades that we have have had a parliamentary system. Without it we could stagger between the massive divisions of the political parties, like the US.

over a year ago

"So what if Margaret had been queen? Would it have made any difference to the lives of the vast majority of this country? No.

They dont make any decisions that affect you. They know what can happen if they try to interfere. They learned that lesson a long time ago.

Why the assumption that you have to replace them with an elected head of state? "

I think this misses the point. It's about national image and influence abroad. This does have an impact on all of us.

The Queen also has influence with the government through her regular meetings with the prime minister. Her views hold some sway without going so far as interference.

over a year ago

"It would be good for her to be the last and them to return their riches to the nation. Failing that, Charles to get his turn, when she's gone. "

Will all the other billionaires return their riches to the people?

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"I kinda like the idea of the country having it's own matriarch that just about every generation throughout the world can relate to. Politicians rise and fall, but Her Majesty has always seemed as perennial as the grass, although I do know that she can't go on forever. I am bias as well because, my own mum is 88 and gets treated like a queen.

Yes, but it could have been Princess Margaret if she'd been born first. Imagine that?! We dodged a bullet and that's the problem with an heriditary system, you're stuck with them possibly for decades.

Back in the day, with the issuance of the Magna Carta waaaaaay back in 1215, the ruling monarch held absolute power over his/her subjects. When King John popped his seal to the Magna Carta, the folk of England slowly gained more rights as the power of the monarchy became much more limited.

As our British head of state, the Queen has the right to be consulted, the right to encourage, and the right to warn, but she is required to act on the advice of her governors, even when she disagrees with them. She can and does, however, retain the absolute right to veto any legislation she deems unfit.

She can also fire the prime minister, but he can’t do the same to her, so it seems that when all things are taken into consideration, the Queen is super powerful, but, if you look at how many plonker PM’s we’ve had, without The Queen giving them the old heave-ho, it’s more likely that we should be worried by our PM’s actions than our Queen’s.

So what I’m trying to say is that she is just The Managing Director and signs off the paperwork put before her, it’s those beneath her who set wheels in motion and have their own agenda. It’s them we need to keep an eye on."

Exactly. Shes a rubber stamp. Nothing more.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"So what if Margaret had been queen? Would it have made any difference to the lives of the vast majority of this country? No.

Why the assumption that you have to replace them with an elected head of state?

I think this misses the point. It's about national image and influence abroad. This does have an impact on all of us.

The Queen also has influence with the government through her regular meetings with the prime minister. Her views hold some sway without going so far as interference. "

What influence??? People are driven by money and power, deep down they couldnt give a shit about a visit from a queen. Her views do not hold sway. She might give her opinion but she will no doubt be routinely ignored. As for the image they portray abroad, i can honestly say that I am ashamed we still have a royal family. Not the personalities but the positions. They are a ludicrous anachronism, just like any other royalty throughout the world.

By *atonMan
over a year ago

barnet

All you fawning deferential subjugates buttressing an archaic and outdated institution that holds us mere mortals in contempt. How has the worlds rudest man suddenly upon his demise become a Saint?

over a year ago

"All you fawning deferential subjugates buttressing an archaic and outdated institution that holds us mere mortals in contempt. How has the worlds rudest man suddenly upon his demise become a Saint? "

Give your head a wobble you mug!

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

God Save The Queen

over a year ago

"God Save The Queen"

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"All you fawning deferential subjugates buttressing an archaic and outdated institution that holds us mere mortals in contempt. How has the worlds rudest man suddenly upon his demise become a Saint? "
show some respect for a man that whatever your views on the monarchy he has served his country

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I feel very sad for her. I feel sad for anyone in that situation but not everyone has the eyes of the world on them while they are experiening grief

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

A service as beautiful as fitting a tribute to the Duke, in its powerful simplicity, an amazing display of members of the Armed Forces - he had dedicated his life to Queen and country.

You do not need to be a Royalist to appreciate today's service and display. This to me is a true part reflective of British culture.

over a year ago

"A service as beautiful as fitting a tribute to the Duke, in its powerful simplicity, an amazing display of members of the Armed Forces - he had dedicated his life to Queen and country.

You do not need to be a Royalist to appreciate today's service and display. This to me is a true part reflective of British culture."

Loved how the family walked back up the hill rather than take the cars. Private family funeral in a way.

over a year ago

I think it should go straight to William anyway !

over a year ago

I actually shed a tear for The Queen this afternoon, while watching the live coverage on TV...as did many. RIP Prince Philip. You Were One Of Kind

over a year ago

"I actually shed a tear for The Queen this afternoon, while watching the live coverage on TV...as did many. RIP Prince Philip. You Were One Of Kind "

*One Of A Kind

over a year ago

I think all the blood has gone to your dick instead of your brain !

By *uminsiderMKMan
over a year ago

St Austell

"A service as beautiful as fitting a tribute to the Duke, in its powerful simplicity, an amazing display of members of the Armed Forces - he had dedicated his life to Queen and country.

You do not need to be a Royalist to appreciate today's service and display. This to me is a true part reflective of British culture."

There is a reason why Britain and its Monarchy attracts massive attention and interest from all over the globe, and today's proceedings were a prime example - we do pageantry, pomp and circumstance better than anyone else...

....though today was subdued in comparison to previous such ceremonial funerals, the dignity and precision with which HRH made his final journey will have been seen and marvelled at by millions around the world...

....such occasions always make me, for one, immensely proud to be British.

over a year ago

"All you fawning deferential subjugates buttressing an archaic and outdated institution that holds us mere mortals in contempt. How has the worlds rudest man suddenly upon his demise become a Saint? I think all the blood has gone to your dick instead of your brain !"

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

You do not need to be a Royalist to appreciate today's service and display. This to me is a true part reflective of British culture.

Loved how the family walked back up the hill rather than take the cars. Private family funeral in a way. "

Me, too

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

There is a reason why Britain and its Monarchy attracts massive attention and interest from all over the globe, and today's proceedings were a prime example - we do pageantry, pomp and circumstance better than anyone else...

....though today was subdued in comparison to previous such ceremonial funerals, the dignity and precision with which HRH made his final journey will have been seen and marvelled at by millions around the world...

....such occasions always make me, for one, immensely proud to be British."

100%

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

I agree

By *wosunloversCouple
over a year ago

Witney

Haha! Rumour strongly has it that Prince Charles wishes to take the name George VII, when he succeeds the Queen, so people will be "Georgians" (again!).

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Losing a partner after such a long time together reminded me of my wonderful grandparents. Seeing the Queen sat alone was a very sad sight.

It was a beautiful ceremony that was indicative of the times.

He lived a tough life from an early age and knew sorrow and sacrifice. People like him are a dying breed.

By *aughty_tonyMan
over a year ago

King's Lynn

"Losing a partner after such a long time together reminded me of my wonderful grandparents. Seeing the Queen sat alone was a very sad sight.

He lived a tough life from an early age and knew sorrow and sacrifice. People like him are a dying breed. "

I second that, I watch with tears. And felt so much for The Queen sat alone

over a year ago

"Losing a partner after such a long time together reminded me of my wonderful grandparents. Seeing the Queen sat alone was a very sad sight.

He lived a tough life from an early age and knew sorrow and sacrifice. People like him are a dying breed.

I second that, I watch with tears. And felt so much for The Queen sat alone"

Same for me, she looked so lost without him by her side.

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

RIP Prince Philip.The Queen will find it difficult to adjust after all they were married for 73 years.Can I ask when the Queen got into the car there was a lady in the car with her I believe they call her a lady in waiting.Would it have been better if one or both of her daughter in law or granddaughters had got into the car with her or is that not part of royal protocol.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

this was so true.. I shed a tear or two this afternoon

over a year ago

"obsequious "

Anybody else spontaneously ejaculate with this bit of language porn, or was it just me?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"RIP Prince Philip.The Queen will find it difficult to adjust after all they were married for 73 years.Can I ask when the Queen got into the car there was a lady in the car with her I believe they call her a lady in waiting.Would it have been better if one or both of her daughter in law or granddaughters had got into the car with her or is that not part of royal protocol."

I guess the lady in waiting is in her bubble.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"RIP Prince Philip.The Queen will find it difficult to adjust after all they were married for 73 years.Can I ask when the Queen got into the car there was a lady in the car with her I believe they call her a lady in waiting.Would it have been better if one or both of her daughter in law or granddaughters had got into the car with her or is that not part of royal protocol."

Because of Covid restrictions I believe the families were in their own groups.

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

Loved how the family walked back up the hill rather than take the cars. Private family funeral in a way. "

I think a few people would have opted for different shoes if they realised the weather was going to be so nice that Charles and Anne decided everyone should walk!

over a year ago

Loved how the family walked back up the hill rather than take the cars. Private family funeral in a way.

I think a few people would have opted for different shoes if they realised the weather was going to be so nice that Charles and Anne decided everyone should walk!"

Yeah those heels!

Gave the world a chance to see William and Harry talking.

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"RIP Prince Philip.The Queen will find it difficult to adjust after all they were married for 73 years.Can I ask when the Queen got into the car there was a lady in the car with her I believe they call her a lady in waiting.Would it have been better if one or both of her daughter in law or granddaughters had got into the car with her or is that not part of royal protocol.

I guess the lady in waiting is in her bubble. "

. Thanks what you are saying makes sense

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"RIP Prince Philip.The Queen will find it difficult to adjust after all they were married for 73 years.Can I ask when the Queen got into the car there was a lady in the car with her I believe they call her a lady in waiting.Would it have been better if one or both of her daughter in law or granddaughters had got into the car with her or is that not part of royal protocol.

Because of Covid restrictions I believe the families were in their own groups."

. Thanks I guess the lady in waiting is probably part of her group

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

....such occasions always make me, for one, immensely proud to be British."

No other country comes anywhere near the UK for our pomp and circumstance whatever the occasion.... military precision at its best.

#proudtobebritish

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

From what I saw of Prince Philip's funeral today, it appeared to be a dignified largely family affair that was in keeping with his wishes.

He was a highly complex individual, with a troubled initial upbringing that appeared to have been stabilised after his marriage in the late-1940s.

May he rest in peace.

over a year ago

""

Fat man, give your head a wobble lad!

By *reamblueMan
over a year ago

London

'King', 'Queen' plus 'power'?

Not really 21st century stuff

By *arakiss12TV/TS
over a year ago

Bedford

I think the Queen should remain as Monarch.

Charles should skip it.

Harry and William should fight over it, with proper armies with suits of armour, maces, swords and shields.

Harry would probably win and become King, the new Henry VIII.

We then invade France and Spain and take all their gold and silver.

And we all live happily ever after.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"I think the Queen should remain as Monarch.

Charles should skip it.

Harry and William should fight over it, with proper armies with suits of armour, maces, swords and shields.

We then invade France and Spain and take all their gold and silver.

And we all live happily ever after."

It’s a bold strategy cotton!

over a year ago

He dies and my usual routine has to stop ? "

Your usual routine?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

"

He would be Henry IX

over a year ago

The whole notion you get to be king or queen just because you belong to a certain family is a bit beyond me. The UK has never fully grasped the concept of democracy.

Who you get as your king or queen is a bit like russian roulette, they could be awful. Just imagine if it had been Margaret rather than Elizabeth, or if Andrew was next in line?

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

....such occasions always make me, for one, immensely proud to be British.

No other country comes anywhere near the UK for our pomp and circumstance whatever the occasion.... military precision at its best.

#proudtobebritish"

Take a trip to Thailand then.

over a year ago

I love Royalty threads online, they bring out all the lefty Royal haters and I enjoy reading their replies while they vent their spleens.

Gives me so much pleasure!

By *atonMan
over a year ago

barnet

"All you fawning deferential subjugates buttressing an archaic and outdated institution that holds us mere mortals in contempt. How has the worlds rudest man suddenly upon his demise become a Saint?

Give your head a wobble you mug! "

pussy

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

I wonder if anyone knows whether the specially commissioned Land Rover hearse is to go on permanent display; it would be a waste to have it hidden away under dust covers.

over a year ago

"I wonder if anyone knows whether the specially commissioned Land Rover hearse is to go on permanent display; it would be a waste to have it hidden away under dust covers."

It will almost certainly be used again. Off the top of my head i can think of two senior royals that would certainly want to use it.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"I wonder if anyone knows whether the specially commissioned Land Rover hearse is to go on permanent display; it would be a waste to have it hidden away under dust covers.

It will almost certainly be used again. Off the top of my head i can think of two senior royals that would certainly want to use it."

I'm sure that if someone enterprising crated a clone of it they would not go short of bookings.

Now, if The Monarchy PLC wanted to get closer to the masses, they ought to consider renting out the existing one.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I love Royalty threads online, they bring out all the lefty Royal haters and I enjoy reading their replies while they vent their spleens.

"

Oh dear - that's a bit of an assumption and stereotyping, isn't it?

Leftie here, and neither anti Royals (on the contrary as they do a lot for the UK) nor a looney...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I love Royalty threads online, they bring out all the lefty Royal haters and I enjoy reading their replies while they vent their spleens.

"

Ah, how wrong you are..

This lefty has the utmost respect for Our Queen, that could be because I recognise duty and commitment or because I took her shilling as a younger man..

Even the ones within that family that I don't think we should be supporting from the public purse I don't 'hate', I think when she passes there will be a trimming down of such things..

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"...if someone enterprising crated a clone of it ... "

Ooops, that should, of course. have read 'created'

I wasn't suggesting putting it in a box!

Post new Message to Thread