Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Not so 'Grand National' ..

Jump to newest

By *ooo wet tight horny OP   Woman
over a year ago

lancashire

So it's the Grand National time..does any one else agree with me that there is nothing 'Grand' about it and it should be banned along with all the other Horse racing...flat and jumps?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Don't look like we're going to be very popular but there again I was never into popularity, a big yes I agree with you

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I've never been into horse racing, but do like to watch show jumping occasionally

over a year ago

Yes, ban it, iv lost on every fucking horse I bet on today..... Serious

over a year ago

Yeah why not, let's put the hundreds of thousands of people who work in the racing industry on the unemployed list!!!!!!

over a year ago

The horses are trained all their lifes to race and junp. Same as putting a human into a machine that could kill themselves and others. That's how I see it anyway.

over a year ago

Take it from me, if a horse doesn't want to jump a fence, you can't force it and they bloody love it!

over a year ago

" So it's the Grand National time..does any one else agree with me that there is nothing 'Grand' about it and it should be banned along with all the other Horse racing...flat and jumps?"

No.

over a year ago

lancashire

"Yeah why not, let's put the hundreds of thousands of people who work in the racing industry on the unemployed list!!!!!!"

I'm sure they would get other employment...and they are still alive!! my concern is for all the horses that either don't make the grade good enough and get taken to the slaughter man...even though they are fit and healthy, then there are the ones that get injured or suffer a heart attack during a race and have to be destroyed on the race course, or the ones injured or have a heart attack during training and also have to be destroyed. Many a human makes money from these beautiful animals...I just think it's wrong, cruel and should be stopped. Not all race horses get well looked after in to their retirement...plenty of web sites will tell you just how many race horses die every year...some with graphic pictures/videos..not nice to see. You may watch 1 horse race and maybe see 1 horse that gets put behind the green screens or left dead under a green tarpaulin while the rest of the race continues, the Horse ambulance arrives then that dead horse has a chain put around it's neck and mechanically dragged in to the trailer after been forced on to the floor by a few humans and a shot to the head..a dignified end?...I don't think so this goes on all around the world in Horse racing not just here in the UK..It's shocking and cruel.

over a year ago

The problem with having this point of view is that humans make money out of animals in many different industries.

It is impossible to live your life and not use or enjoy something that has not exploited animals.

So to single out one specific industry is a little simplistic.

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Animals have very little in the way of a functional role in human society these days and exist mostly for the pleasure of their owners. You could extrapolate from this argument to say that any domestication of animals is cruel and unnatural.

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

The Grand National is 182 years old and it’s a race that stops the nation.1981 Bob Champion beat cancer then won the Grand National and the story became a film with John Hurt.Red Rum won 3 Grand National in the 1970’s and is still remembered today.Today Rachael Blackmore won the race becoming the First Lady to win the Grand National.Hell even Freddie Starr won the Grand National as a owner.Long may it continue I say.

over a year ago

lancashire

"The horses are trained all their lifes to race and junp. Same as putting a human into a machine that could kill themselves and others. That's how I see it anyway."

The human has a choice...Horses don't, it's very rare you get a Horse that will not follow the herd and race..with a large whip cracked behind them most have the 'flight' instinct and will run with the herd ( a horse always runs away from what it is frightened off). The race horse may get the best in feed, vet and physio treatment...after all they are classed as Athletes...treating them any less would not produce the performance wanted. They are just treated as a money making commodity until they can no longer earn, not all Race Horses have the best in retirement. Any one remember Hello Dandy?..he won the grand national..but when he could no longer earn any money he was just left out in a field to die...luckily he was found in very poor condition and rescued and lived the rest of his life in comfort..thank fully. So the reasoning that 'it's what they are bred to do' just is not good enough. A Horse raced at the age of 2 years old when both the bone and soft tissue(ligaments/muscles) are not properly formed or at the full strength are at a high risk of those bones in the legs snapping during a race...and it does happen...can you imagine the pain that horse must be in? yet the jockey kicks and whips for them to run faster...till they can no longer run and collapse on the race track. Those of you that think I'm just going on and don't believe it is as bad as I say then go online and you will see I am right...maybe then you will stop placing bets and join with all other true Horse lovers in trying to get all this cruelty banned. So how many Race horses die each year....

There are estimated to be more than one million horses in the UK, with 20,000 in horse racing. Between 6,000 and 10,000 Race horses are slaughtered every year in Britain for horse meat.

over a year ago

lancashire

"The problem with having this point of view is that humans make money out of animals in many different industries.

It is impossible to live your life and not use or enjoy something that has not exploited animals.

So to single out one specific industry is a little simplistic. "

I don't agree with any animal being cruelly exploited just so humans can make money!!

over a year ago

No.. I won £500 today on my £50 bet.

Stop ruining peoples fun.

over a year ago

lancashire

"Animals have very little in the way of a functional role in human society these days and exist mostly for the pleasure of their owners. You could extrapolate from this argument to say that any domestication of animals is cruel and unnatural. "

There is a major difference in some one that has animals purely for the pleasure they bring...to the owners/trainers of Race Horses and the money they may bring them, and also any other animal used solely for the money making abilities to benefit only humans.

over a year ago

"No.. I won £500 today on my £50 bet.

Stop ruining peoples fun. "

Good for you. Have you thought about how many horses are maimed and killed in the name of 'fun'

Dispatched by the side of the track and left under tarpaulin, not even allowed a dignified end while people have 'fun' around them. It is a cruel sport and it is about time people spoke for the vulnerable creatures suffering who have no voice.

over a year ago

"Yeah why not, let's put the hundreds of thousands of people who work in the racing industry on the unemployed list!!!!!!"

And all those poor fucking horses to sleep!!!!!!!!

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Animals have very little in the way of a functional role in human society these days and exist mostly for the pleasure of their owners. You could extrapolate from this argument to say that any domestication of animals is cruel and unnatural.

There is a major difference in some one that has animals purely for the pleasure they bring...to the owners/trainers of Race Horses and the money they may bring them, and also any other animal used solely for the money making abilities to benefit only humans. "

So your objection is to the commodification of the animal rather than the fact that the animal has no choice about its treatment. Ultimately, by keeping pets in captivity, all pet owners prioritise their own pleasure over that of the animal, whether they make money from it or not.

By *heNYCSausageMan
over a year ago

Everton

" So it's the Grand National time..does any one else agree with me that there is nothing 'Grand' about it and it should be banned along with all the other Horse racing...flat and jumps?"

No. I disagree. The national is an institution of British spirit where the whole country comes together for one day a year and I actually feel British.

It’s the only time of the year I let my kids gamble, just like my parents did for me and their parents for them. It’s tradition, and I hope my grandkids get to enjoy it. But that’s a long time away, eldest is only 11 haha

over a year ago

lancashire

"Animals have very little in the way of a functional role in human society these days and exist mostly for the pleasure of their owners. You could extrapolate from this argument to say that any domestication of animals is cruel and unnatural.

There is a major difference in some one that has animals purely for the pleasure they bring...to the owners/trainers of Race Horses and the money they may bring them, and also any other animal used solely for the money making abilities to benefit only humans.

So your objection is to the commodification of the animal rather than the fact that the animal has no choice about its treatment. Ultimately, by keeping pets in captivity, all pet owners prioritise their own pleasure over that of the animal, whether they make money from it or not."

It is both, and I disagree that all pet owners put their own pleasure over the health of any animal they have as a pet....there are some really cruel people that don't deserve to have any sort of animal...you only have to watch any 'animal rescue' programme to see that. I disagree totally with any sort of animal cruelty.

By *eorge JetsonMan
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

"Yeah why not, let's put the hundreds of thousands of people who work in the racing industry on the unemployed list!!!!!!

I'm sure they would get other employment...and they are still alive!! my concern is for all the horses that either don't make the grade good enough and get taken to the slaughter man...even though they are fit and healthy, then there are the ones that get injured or suffer a heart attack during a race and have to be destroyed on the race course, or the ones injured or have a heart attack during training and also have to be destroyed. Many a human makes money from these beautiful animals...I just think it's wrong, cruel and should be stopped. Not all race horses get well looked after in to their retirement...plenty of web sites will tell you just how many race horses die every year...some with graphic pictures/videos..not nice to see. You may watch 1 horse race and maybe see 1 horse that gets put behind the green screens or left dead under a green tarpaulin while the rest of the race continues, the Horse ambulance arrives then that dead horse has a chain put around it's neck and mechanically dragged in to the trailer after been forced on to the floor by a few humans and a shot to the head..a dignified end?...I don't think so this goes on all around the world in Horse racing not just here in the UK..It's shocking and cruel."

While i thoroughly and completely agree with the reasoning behind your personal wants of the race banned as it is unfortunate and barbaric in the method of taking an injured horse and ending its life from a fall.... Have you ever seen a racehorse couped and stopped from running. These unbelievable powerhouses are bred from the day they are born to be exercised, ran, trained and competitive. At 2 years old they are practically unstoppable on the racecourse and they gather momentum every year. The day you stop a racehorse racing is the day you get a wild, unpredictable and dangerous horse because the madness and boredom of not being out and racing and stretching every muscle over every jump sets in quickly... Very quickly. There's only 1 way you can deal with a horse that's gone mad with boredom......

By *shantyWoman
over a year ago

Folkestone

"The horses are trained all their lifes to race and junp. Same as putting a human into a machine that could kill themselves and others. That's how I see it anyway.

The human has a choice...Horses don't, it's very rare you get a Horse that will not follow the herd and race..with a large whip cracked behind them most have the 'flight' instinct and will run with the herd ( a horse always runs away from what it is frightened off). The race horse may get the best in feed, vet and physio treatment...after all they are classed as Athletes...treating them any less would not produce the performance wanted. They are just treated as a money making commodity until they can no longer earn, not all Race Horses have the best in retirement. Any one remember Hello Dandy?..he won the grand national..but when he could no longer earn any money he was just left out in a field to die...luckily he was found in very poor condition and rescued and lived the rest of his life in comfort..thank fully. So the reasoning that 'it's what they are bred to do' just is not good enough. A Horse raced at the age of 2 years old when both the bone and soft tissue(ligaments/muscles) are not properly formed or at the full strength are at a high risk of those bones in the legs snapping during a race...and it does happen...can you imagine the pain that horse must be in? yet the jockey kicks and whips for them to run faster...till they can no longer run and collapse on the race track. Those of you that think I'm just going on and don't believe it is as bad as I say then go online and you will see I am right...maybe then you will stop placing bets and join with all other true Horse lovers in trying to get all this cruelty banned. So how many Race horses die each year....

There are estimated to be more than one million horses in the UK, with 20,000 in horse racing. Between 6,000 and 10,000 Race horses are slaughtered every year in Britain for horse meat. "

The figures you have above are 15 years old, a lot has been done in that time to raise the standards and awareness of the welfare of racehorses, especially for those at the end of their racing career with so many good rehoming centres now that take on the horses both at the end of their careers and those that never make it to the track because they aren’t suitable for whatever reason. Yes there are certainly trainers and owners that don’t have the due care and attention for the horses but there are a lot more that do. They know their horses inside out giving them the best care and attention they can and would not look as good and healthy in the paddocks if they didn’t.

Fully agree they shouldn’t be run at an early age, but sadly can’t see this changing any time soon.

By *ucidityWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

So your objection is to the commodification of the animal rather than the fact that the animal has no choice about its treatment. Ultimately, by keeping pets in captivity, all pet owners prioritise their own pleasure over that of the animal, whether they make money from it or not."

I agree with some of what you say to an extent but there are folks who don’t support the continued breeding of animals we view as pets and instead chose to rescue animals as a way to stop the cycle. Still, it’s true that they are in captivity but I think it’s making the best of a situation rather than perpetuating it.

As to the Grand National, I don’t agree with any sport that involves animals. I don’t believe it’s for their benefit and as much as we can we should stop exploiting them.

over a year ago

lancashire

"Yeah why not, let's put the hundreds of thousands of people who work in the racing industry on the unemployed list!!!!!!

I'm sure they would get other employment...and they are still alive!! my concern is for all the horses that either don't make the grade good enough and get taken to the slaughter man...even though they are fit and healthy, then there are the ones that get injured or suffer a heart attack during a race and have to be destroyed on the race course, or the ones injured or have a heart attack during training and also have to be destroyed. Many a human makes money from these beautiful animals...I just think it's wrong, cruel and should be stopped. Not all race horses get well looked after in to their retirement...plenty of web sites will tell you just how many race horses die every year...some with graphic pictures/videos..not nice to see. You may watch 1 horse race and maybe see 1 horse that gets put behind the green screens or left dead under a green tarpaulin while the rest of the race continues, the Horse ambulance arrives then that dead horse has a chain put around it's neck and mechanically dragged in to the trailer after been forced on to the floor by a few humans and a shot to the head..a dignified end?...I don't think so this goes on all around the world in Horse racing not just here in the UK..It's shocking and cruel.

While i thoroughly and completely agree with the reasoning behind your personal wants of the race banned as it is unfortunate and barbaric in the method of taking an injured horse and ending its life from a fall.... Have you ever seen a racehorse couped and stopped from running. These unbelievable powerhouses are bred from the day they are born to be exercised, ran, trained and competitive. At 2 years old they are practically unstoppable on the racecourse and they gather momentum every year. The day you stop a racehorse racing is the day you get a wild, unpredictable and dangerous horse because the madness and boredom of not being out and racing and stretching every muscle over every jump sets in quickly... Very quickly. There's only 1 way you can deal with a horse that's gone mad with boredom...... "

This is why a race horse cannot just be sold on to be a 'hack out' horse even with an experienced rider...I am one of those..I have been riding horses since the age of 6...competed at Dressage too, but got my most pleasure just hacking out for a few hours...mostly walking with a bit of trotting even a small amount of cantering. Race horses can be rehabilitated into a horse than can be ridden normally, it's all in the schooling not just the breeding, you would not fill a normal riding horse full of energy giving feed like oats...this would make them ill and the possibility of Laminitus which can kill a horse. I do speak with experience not just some one that hates this cruel sport.

over a year ago

Good for you. Have you thought about how many horses are maimed and killed in the name of 'fun'

Dispatched by the side of the track and left under tarpaulin, not even allowed a dignified end while people have 'fun' around them. It is a cruel sport and it is about time people spoke for the vulnerable creatures suffering who have no voice.

"

Oh god. More doom, gloom and lectures

over a year ago

Oh god. More doom, gloom and lectures "

Yup, your welcome.

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

While i thoroughly and completely agree with the reasoning behind your personal wants of the race banned as it is unfortunate and barbaric in the method of taking an injured horse and ending its life from a fall.... Have you ever seen a racehorse couped and stopped from running. These unbelievable powerhouses are bred from the day they are born to be exercised, ran, trained and competitive. At 2 years old they are practically unstoppable on the racecourse and they gather momentum every year. The day you stop a racehorse racing is the day you get a wild, unpredictable and dangerous horse because the madness and boredom of not being out and racing and stretching every muscle over every jump sets in quickly... Very quickly. There's only 1 way you can deal with a horse that's gone mad with boredom......

This is why a race horse cannot just be sold on to be a 'hack out' horse even with an experienced rider...I am one of those..I have been riding horses since the age of 6...competed at Dressage too, but got my most pleasure just hacking out for a few hours...mostly walking with a bit of trotting even a small amount of cantering. Race horses can be rehabilitated into a horse than can be ridden normally, it's all in the schooling not just the breeding, you would not fill a normal riding horse full of energy giving feed like oats...this would make them ill and the possibility of Laminitus which can kill a horse. I do speak with experience not just some one that hates this cruel sport. "

It doesn't sound as though the horses you ride have a great deal of choice about being kept in stables to be ridden for your pleasure. I appreciate there is a question of degree here but your own activity is on the same continuum as horse racing even if you perceive it as more benign because it is less dangerous for the animal.

over a year ago

Yup, your welcome."

Shouldn’t of bothered. I didn’t pay any attention and skimmed it.

By *elethWoman
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

This is why a race horse cannot just be sold on to be a 'hack out' horse even with an experienced rider...I am one of those..I have been riding horses since the age of 6...competed at Dressage too, but got my most pleasure just hacking out for a few hours...mostly walking with a bit of trotting even a small amount of cantering. Race horses can be rehabilitated into a horse than can be ridden normally, it's all in the schooling not just the breeding, you would not fill a normal riding horse full of energy giving feed like oats...this would make them ill and the possibility of Laminitus which can kill a horse. I do speak with experience not just some one that hates this cruel sport. "

I agree with you completely. I have similar experiences and also worked briefly in the industry. It was not a pleasant experience, barring the company of those glorious animals. It's not just the racing itself which is damaging, but the way they're kept, separated from other horses in small stables with not enough forage. Very many exhibit stress behaviours, and stomach ulcers are also common. As you say, once money is involved, animal welfare takes a nosedive.

over a year ago

lancashire

This is why a race horse cannot just be sold on to be a 'hack out' horse even with an experienced rider...I am one of those..I have been riding horses since the age of 6...competed at Dressage too, but got my most pleasure just hacking out for a few hours...mostly walking with a bit of trotting even a small amount of cantering. Race horses can be rehabilitated into a horse than can be ridden normally, it's all in the schooling not just the breeding, you would not fill a normal riding horse full of energy giving feed like oats...this would make them ill and the possibility of Laminitus which can kill a horse. I do speak with experience not just some one that hates this cruel sport.

It doesn't sound as though the horses you ride have a great deal of choice about being kept in stables to be ridden for your pleasure. I appreciate there is a question of degree here but your own activity is on the same continuum as horse racing even if you perceive it as more benign because it is less dangerous for the animal."

Absolutely NO way is it the same, time in the field as well as the stable during rough weather, well kept with out the risk to it's life..

over a year ago

Yup, your welcome.

Shouldn’t of bothered. I didn’t pay any attention and skimmed it. "

Didn't stop you commenting though

over a year ago

Yup, your welcome.

Didn't stop you commenting though "

Last I knew you could comment and still not care what someone wrote. LOL

By *aulupforitMan
over a year ago

Corbridge

How dare you upset the sport of kings...

over a year ago

Yup.

Cruel, unnecessary, outdated.

I find it abhorrent tbh.

Lu

over a year ago

Yup, your welcome.

Didn't stop you commenting though

Last I knew you could comment and still not care what someone wrote. LOL "

Well my thoughts are out there and no way would I put money over the welfare of any animal. Death happens on the track, it is a reality of the sport. I don't care whether you read my posts or not.

Take care and have a wonderful evening is my last response to you

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

Well it's better then what the French do with horses, Burger meat and glue.

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"It doesn't sound as though the horses you ride have a great deal of choice about being kept in stables to be ridden for your pleasure. I appreciate there is a question of degree here but your own activity is on the same continuum as horse racing even if you perceive it as more benign because it is less dangerous for the animal.

Absolutely NO way is it the same, time in the field as well as the stable during rough weather, well kept with out the risk to it's life.. "

I didn't say it was the same - I said it was on the same spectrum of behaviour. Ultimately, you believe horses can be kept for your riding pleasure (which the horse does not choose) but not for the pleasure of competitive horse racing, which I agree is more dangerous. However, once you accept the principle that animals serve human desires, I think it is wrong to object to people whose limits are not the same as yours.

over a year ago

lancashire

The horse racing industry has always concealed from the public, and even from racing correspondents, the number of horses raced to death every year. Information on mortality is becoming more, rather than less, difficult to obtain.

Animal Aid has conducted a study of available evidence – including 15,000 pages of race results – to produce the most comprehensive survey of Thoroughbred racing fatalities ever to have been made public.

Previous estimates – even by animal protection groups such as Animal Aid – have suggested a maximum figure of 300 annual equine deaths. Our new investigation shows that around 375 horses who are entered into races each season die from their injuries; or they are killed because they are considered of no further commercial value, even though they are young enough to continue racing. However, this total is almost certainly short of the true figure. This is because our data is drawn from the Official Form Book, which does not list all deaths.

Reasons for horses being destroyed include broken legs, back, neck and pelvis; fatal spinal injuries, exhaustion, heart attack, and burst blood vessels in the lungs.

To the 375 racing casualties must be added the far larger, but unrecorded, number of ‘inferior specimens’ who are disposed of annually before they ever get to race – and the animals who are killed at the end of their racing careers, instead of receiving a properly-funded retirement. These victims probably total several thousand annually.

This report concentrates on the racing casualties. About 30% of the 375 annual victims die on the racecourse itself. This is an extraordinarily high figure given that the 59 British courses each stage, on average, a mere 12 racing days every year.

While some 30% of annual fatalities occur during, or immediately after a race, the remainder are killed because of injuries received in training, or after being assessed by their owners as no-hopers.

The four most hazardous of all the country’s courses are run by racing’s own governing body!

By *astleman46Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Most thoroughbred are treated like kings. Take a trip to Newmarket.

over a year ago

lancashire

" So it's the Grand National time..does any one else agree with me that there is nothing 'Grand' about it and it should be banned along with all the other Horse racing...flat and jumps?

Well it's better then what the French do with horses, Burger meat and glue. "

The french do breed horses just for their meat industry, the uk also exports Horse carcasses abroad for human consumption.

over a year ago

lancashire

"Most thoroughbred are treated like kings. Take a trip to Newmarket."

I'm not saying that the majority of Race Horses that are able to race are not treated well with the 5 star feed they get and all the other things like weekly vet visits, physio, water therapy, after all if they didn't get all that treatment they would not be in a 'race fit state'..

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

Well, I can't say that I follow equestrian events, but I always enjoy watching, and taking part in anything that involves several good jumps!

over a year ago

lancashire

"It doesn't sound as though the horses you ride have a great deal of choice about being kept in stables to be ridden for your pleasure. I appreciate there is a question of degree here but your own activity is on the same continuum as horse racing even if you perceive it as more benign because it is less dangerous for the animal.

Absolutely NO way is it the same, time in the field as well as the stable during rough weather, well kept with out the risk to it's life..

I didn't say it was the same - I said it was on the same spectrum of behaviour. Ultimately, you believe horses can be kept for your riding pleasure (which the horse does not choose) but not for the pleasure of competitive horse racing, which I agree is more dangerous. However, once you accept the principle that animals serve human desires, I think it is wrong to object to people whose limits are not the same as yours."

I do agree that animals serve human desires. A horse bought for the pleasure of riding out is totally different to a Race horse that is purely for the financial benefit of the owners/trainers regardless of how it's life may end in that one race..or even when it is too old to race or does not make the right grade to race. Far too many horses are bred for the race industry that actually do make it as a race horse. Also thoroughbred mares are force mated, legs shackled so they cannot kick the stallion and also can not move away, a female will only mate when she is 100% ready...and with a chosen stallion of her choice.

over a year ago

I don’t understand why horse racing should be banned.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

The National is disgusting.

The racing industry is disgusting.

It is no different from bear baiting, cock fighting, dog fighting, fox hunting, or any other disgusting form of animal torture.

The fact that horse racing is the UK's second largest spectator sport is quite an insight into how deeply sick this country is.

"Nation of animal lovers" my arse.

over a year ago

lancashire

"The National is disgusting.

It is no different from bear baiting, cock fighting, dog fighting, fox hunting, or any other disgusting form of animal torture.

The fact that horse racing is the UK's second largest spectator sport is quite an insight into how deeply sick this country is.

"Nation of animal lovers" my arse. "

I so agree...no animal should suffer in the name of so called sport...it's not just the UK though it goes on around the world...shocking all of it.

For any one that does not understand why....just go online and the evidence is there. 1 horse died at this years national...The Long Mile..aged 7yrs old broke a hind leg and was destroyed.

over a year ago

"Nation of animal lovers" my arse. "

If you want to ban horse racing then exaggerating isnt going to help your cause.

Its very very different to bear baiting, cock fighting, fox hunting etc

You turn people away from your cause with this rhetoric.

By *aulupforitMan
over a year ago

Corbridge

I so agree...no animal should suffer in the name of so called sport...it's not just the UK though it goes on around the world...shocking all of it.

For any one that does not understand why....just go online and the evidence is there. 1 horse died at this years national...The Long Mile..aged 7yrs old broke a hind leg and was destroyed. "

You are still losing on points

over a year ago

Explain the animal rights activists sending letter bombs to kill humans? Doesn't make sense

over a year ago

lancashire

For any one that does not understand why....just go online and the evidence is there. 1 horse died at this years national...The Long Mile..aged 7yrs old broke a hind leg and was destroyed.

You are still losing on points "

No I don't think so....any thing that includes animals been injured or killed in the name of sport and where people win/loose money from it is Disgusting...and 'all' should be banned from where ever in the world it is going on!!

over a year ago

lancashire

"Explain the animal rights activists sending letter bombs to kill humans? Doesn't make sense"

I'm not an animal rights extremist...I just want to stand up for animal rights and make my feelings known with out violence.

over a year ago

"Explain the animal rights activists sending letter bombs to kill humans? Doesn't make sense

I'm not an animal rights extremist...I just want to stand up for animal rights and make my feelings known with out violence. "

Wasn't aimed at you,just generalising

By *andSCouple
over a year ago

PDI for now

If you it a horse in a large enough field it will run. If you put a number of horses in a large enough field one will want to run fastest to lead the herd. Banning it is fighting with nature.

However, altering it to ban the use of whips is to be encouraged.

As with all things there needs to be balance.

over a year ago

Still...is anyone going to explain why racing should be banned?

over a year ago

lancashire

"If you it a horse in a large enough field it will run. If you put a number of horses in a large enough field one will want to run fastest to lead the herd. Banning it is fighting with nature.

As with all things there needs to be balance."

I don't think you can get any balance in Horse Racing at all...yes horses run in fields..they also play together in fields...they don't end up dead cos' some human chooses to race them...

By *AABMan
over a year ago

Not far

Where would supermarket lasagne get its meat from if we banned horse racing?

over a year ago

Not to mention the horses that would have to be put down.

We have never few working horses now and we don't have wild horses so what would happen to them?

over a year ago

"Explain the animal rights activists sending letter bombs to kill humans? Doesn't make sense"

My friends are farmers and they have had death threats from vegans.

over a year ago

lancashire

We have never few working horses now and we don't have wild horses so what would happen to them?"

Once banned all the over breeding and any breeding of Thoroughbreds would stop instantly, the ones left can be rehabilitated to become normal riding horses and go on to live better lives and for longer.

By *andSCouple
over a year ago

PDI for now

"If you it a horse in a large enough field it will run. If you put a number of horses in a large enough field one will want to run fastest to lead the herd. Banning it is fighting with nature.

As with all things there needs to be balance.

I don't think you can get any balance in Horse Racing at all...yes horses run in fields..they also play together in fields...they don't end up dead cos' some human chooses to race them..."

Yes because they use whips excessively, hence balance.

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

So your objection is to the commodification of the animal rather than the fact that the animal has no choice about its treatment. Ultimately, by keeping pets in captivity, all pet owners prioritise their own pleasure over that of the animal, whether they make money from it or not.

It is both, and I disagree that all pet owners put their own pleasure over the health of any animal they have as a pet....there are some really cruel people that don't deserve to have any sort of animal...you only have to watch any 'animal rescue' programme to see that. I disagree totally with any sort of animal cruelty."

Perhaps slightly off topic. All animals that are kept as pets are actually wild animals. Many cats , dogs etc are breed to sell as pets. Also people say zoos should be banned . Yet a lot ( not all ) have breeding programs to ensure wild population is not lost.

over a year ago

"Still...is anyone going to explain why racing should be banned? "

I think because of animal cruelty. Which seems sound. Unfortunately elite sport, whether human or animal, often leads to the abuse of the participant because of the stakes.

over a year ago

Does anyone here actually ride horses? Or are you all just sounding off about things you don’t know about to sound trendy again?

By *aver999Couple
over a year ago

East Mids

No one cares about the horses and it'll never be banned because it's big business - Gambling.

over a year ago

"Does anyone here actually ride horses? Or are you all just sounding off about things you don’t know about to sound trendy again? "

I don't but I grew up in a rural village so thats why I Don't think it should be banned.

There was a riding and hunting stable up the road and we used to go up there all the time is children those people absolutely adore those horses and are so well looked after.

over a year ago

"Does anyone here actually ride horses? Or are you all just sounding off about things you don’t know about to sound trendy again?

I don't but I grew up in a rural village so thats why I Don't think it should be banned.

There was a riding and hunting stable up the road and we used to go up there all the time is children those people absolutely adore those horses and are so well looked after. "

My point exactly. Those who don’t know complain and whinge

over a year ago

lancashire

"Does anyone here actually ride horses? Or are you all just sounding off about things you don’t know about to sound trendy again? "

A horse rider and horse lover here a passion I have had since the age of 6..

over a year ago

lancashire

This year since the 1st of January 2021 till the 6th of April 2021 64 race Horses have died on UK race tracks..

By *irky_coupleCouple
over a year ago

kirky

This really gets my goat. "Oh it's cruel,oh it's barbaric,they should be in a field where there is no risk" Utter bollocks! There is risk everywhere when it comes to animals. It's a fact of life. You can't wrap them in cotton wool,that does them more harm than good. They are bred to race. One horse had to be put to sleep today because of a broken leg and I say put to sleep because I absolutely detest the phrase "destroyed". The horse wasn't destroyed,thats anti propaganda to make it sound horrific and then you get the muppets who say "why can't it be saved,that's cruel just killing it" Not a clue as to how it's virtually impossible to save a horse with a broken leg (Google Barbaro and see that it's not due to not being financially viable) and they jump on the bandwagon of ban racing because its cruel. I've had horses break their leg in the field running about. Shit happens.

Roughly 14000 thoroughbred horses in training in the UK alone,thats not counting standardbreds,equestrian,cross country,dressage,etc and people want it all banned because you can't ban 1 without the others not being banned. Where do all these horses go? Some idiot who wants a horse for their daughter? Might as well shoot it now.

over a year ago

"This really gets my goat. "Oh it's cruel,oh it's barbaric,they should be in a field where there is no risk" Utter bollocks! There is risk everywhere when it comes to animals. It's a fact of life. You can't wrap them in cotton wool,that does them more harm than good. They are bred to race. One horse had to be put to sleep today because of a broken leg and I say put to sleep because I absolutely detest the phrase "destroyed". The horse wasn't destroyed,thats anti propaganda to make it sound horrific and then you get the muppets who say "why can't it be saved,that's cruel just killing it" Not a clue as to how it's virtually impossible to save a horse with a broken leg (Google Barbaro and see that it's not due to not being financially viable) and they jump on the bandwagon of ban racing because its cruel. I've had horses break their leg in the field running about. Shit happens.

Roughly 14000 thoroughbred horses in training in the UK alone,thats not counting standardbreds,equestrian,cross country,dressage,etc and people want it all banned because you can't ban 1 without the others not being banned. Where do all these horses go? Some idiot who wants a horse for their daughter? Might as well shoot it now."

By *isces WomanWoman
over a year ago

West London

I'd like to see horse and dog racing stopped

over a year ago

"I'd like to see horse and dog racing stopped"

Don't think iv ever seen a dog race a horse

By *irky_coupleCouple
over a year ago

kirky

"I'd like to see horse and dog racing stopped"
Why?

By *andSCouple
over a year ago

PDI for now

I did, for many years. Now I’m too heavy and wouldn’t dream of riding anything in a school. They’re worked hard enough without me on their back.

I’ve even jumped too. If a horse didn’t want to jump anything it would stop. Seen Badminton too many times to know know who is really in charge. It isn’t the rider!

By *unover40Couple
over a year ago

yeovil

Definitely cant agree here.

By *lint-EverhardMan
over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

Why ban it just because you don't like it?

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Yes very passionately and totally agree with u it's a barbaric so called sport for greedy humans! Vile! X

over a year ago

Race horses are treated better than most people, believe me I’ve owned one. And what does a horse do when it unseats a rider...carries on running with the group, they do it on instinct. The way they’ve changed the sport and brought in so much horse welfare over the past 20 years is great. You can’t shut down an industry just cos it’s an animal, there’s risk in everything, ban football, and ban F1 while you’re at it. As an industry horse racing and the punters contribute millions in taxes (through betting companies granted) and it employs thousands.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"The horses are trained all their lifes to race and junp. Same as putting a human into a machine that could kill themselves and others. That's how I see it anyway.

There are estimated to be more than one million horses in the UK, with 20,000 in horse racing. Between 6,000 and 10,000 Race horses are slaughtered every year in Britain for horse meat. "

I was actually in tears at end of reading this! x

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"This really gets my goat. "Oh it's cruel,oh it's barbaric,they should be in a field where there is no risk" Utter bollocks! There is risk everywhere when it comes to animals. It's a fact of life. You can't wrap them in cotton wool,that does them more harm than good. They are bred to race. One horse had to be put to sleep today because of a broken leg and I say put to sleep because I absolutely detest the phrase "destroyed". The horse wasn't destroyed,thats anti propaganda to make it sound horrific and then you get the muppets who say "why can't it be saved,that's cruel just killing it" Not a clue as to how it's virtually impossible to save a horse with a broken leg (Google Barbaro and see that it's not due to not being financially viable) and they jump on the bandwagon of ban racing because its cruel. I've had horses break their leg in the field running about. Shit happens.

Roughly 14000 thoroughbred horses in training in the UK alone,thats not counting standardbreds,equestrian,cross country,dressage,etc and people want it all banned because you can't ban 1 without the others not being banned. Where do all these horses go? Some idiot who wants a horse for their daughter? Might as well shoot it now."

Murdered shd b the word used!!!

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

We have never few working horses now and we don't have wild horses so what would happen to them?

Once banned all the over breeding and any breeding of Thoroughbreds would stop instantly, the ones left can be rehabilitated to become normal riding horses and go on to live better lives and for longer."

Yes! I have a friend that has a ex race horse he lives a lovely life with her and her other horses x

over a year ago

"Does anyone here actually ride horses? Or are you all just sounding off about things you don’t know about to sound trendy again?

A horse rider and horse lover here a passion I have had since the age of 6.."

I could kind of see your point OP but the fact you ride horses yourself purely for your own pleasure kind of loses it for me, sorry

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

For any one that does not understand why....just go online and the evidence is there. 1 horse died at this years national...The Long Mile..aged 7yrs old broke a hind leg and was destroyed. "

No animal should suffer in the name of anything not just sport. But I bet some on here have mixed breed dogs with the associated health conditions it brings or a Bulldog for instance? A breed so fucked about with for aesthetic reasons they can no longer give birth naturally & has a whole plethora of other health issues. Hey but they look cool so that’s ok .

As someone else said you can’t cherry pick, especially if your cherry picking comes across as more a class thing than an animal welfare one. .

Go pick on dog breeders, compared to horse racing the numbers there are more like WW1 casualty figures but you’ll still have your cockerpoo & labradoodles I bet.

S

By *elethWoman
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

As I said in my response, I have ridden horses, I have worked in the equine industry and I have worked in racing itself. I loathe horse racing and would love to see it end. Your comment is rather dismissive given you evidently haven't taken the time to read people's comments, including the OP's thoroughly, which also states she rides.

By *elethWoman
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Race horses are treated better than most people, believe me I’ve owned one. And what does a horse do when it unseats a rider...carries on running with the group, they do it on instinct. The way they’ve changed the sport and brought in so much horse welfare over the past 20 years is great. You can’t shut down an industry just cos it’s an animal, there’s risk in everything, ban football, and ban F1 while you’re at it. As an industry horse racing and the punters contribute millions in taxes (through betting companies granted) and it employs thousands. "

The difference being a human can make an informed decision about whether to get in a race car, or play a football match. Horses are not given a choice.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

One horse had to be put down. One too many and it happens time and time again.

By *eerobCouple
over a year ago

solihull

You dont need horrendous jumps in horse racing..so no one would be put out of a job...stop it? Big yes from me.

over a year ago

As I said in my response, I have ridden horses, I have worked in the equine industry and I have worked in racing itself. I loathe horse racing and would love to see it end. Your comment is rather dismissive given you evidently haven't taken the time to read people's comments, including the OP's thoroughly, which also states she rides. "

I am being dismissive, but not to those that have taken the time to actually articulate why they would want the sport banning. The ‘it’s cruel and barbaric’ crowd who back it up with zero evidence or experience grip my tits. As is always the case on fab with a subject that’s edgy, there are people who throw in their opinion on a subject they know nothing about. Everyone is entitled to an opinion here, and I fundamentally disagree with yours and anyone else who says the sport should be banned. My whole life I’ve ridden and competed and my horses, and the horses I’ve known have all been treated with a level of kindness and dignity I don’t even see people giving to their dogs.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

As I said in my response, I have ridden horses, I have worked in the equine industry and I have worked in racing itself. I loathe horse racing and would love to see it end. Your comment is rather dismissive given you evidently haven't taken the time to read people's comments, including the OP's thoroughly, which also states she rides.

I am being dismissive, but not to those that have taken the time to actually articulate why they would want the sport banning. The ‘it’s cruel and barbaric’ crowd who back it up with zero evidence or experience grip my tits. As is always the case on fab with a subject that’s edgy, there are people who throw in their opinion on a subject they know nothing about. Everyone is entitled to an opinion here, and I fundamentally disagree with yours and anyone else who says the sport should be banned. My whole life I’ve ridden and competed and my horses, and the horses I’ve known have all been treated with a level of kindness and dignity I don’t even see people giving to their dogs. "

It's the breaking of legs being shot! Having heart attacks! All manor of injuries they suffer and consequently most of time get shot! The whipping to make them go faster etc etc etc x

over a year ago

I am being dismissive, but not to those that have taken the time to actually articulate why they would want the sport banning. The ‘it’s cruel and barbaric’ crowd who back it up with zero evidence or experience grip my tits. As is always the case on fab with a subject that’s edgy, there are people who throw in their opinion on a subject they know nothing about. Everyone is entitled to an opinion here, and I fundamentally disagree with yours and anyone else who says the sport should be banned. My whole life I’ve ridden and competed and my horses, and the horses I’ve known have all been treated with a level of kindness and dignity I don’t even see people giving to their dogs.

It's the breaking of legs being shot! Having heart attacks! All manor of injuries they suffer and consequently most of time get shot! The whipping to make them go faster etc etc etc x"

Warmbloods absolutely live for sport tho. They have been selectively bred for that reason. And horses by their very nature are prone to injuries they may never recover from. Mines got a splint at the minute because she keeps barrelling into walls to try and knock them down, and no matter what I do I can’t stop her doing it when I’m not watching her. It’s what horses do.

over a year ago

Race horses are treated better than most people, believe me I’ve owned one. And what does a horse do when it unseats a rider...carries on running with the group, they do it on instinct. The way they’ve changed the sport and brought in so much horse welfare over the past 20 years is great. You can’t shut down an industry just cos it’s an animal, there’s risk in everything, ban football, and ban F1 while you’re at it. As an industry horse racing and the punters contribute millions in taxes (through betting companies granted) and it employs thousands.

The difference being a human can make an informed decision about whether to get in a race car, or play a football match. Horses are not given a choice.

On the same note, no domestic pets are given a choice. Children can't choose their parents.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Race horses are treated better than most people, believe me I’ve owned one. And what does a horse do when it unseats a rider...carries on running with the group, they do it on instinct. The way they’ve changed the sport and brought in so much horse welfare over the past 20 years is great. You can’t shut down an industry just cos it’s an animal, there’s risk in everything, ban football, and ban F1 while you’re at it. As an industry horse racing and the punters contribute millions in taxes (through betting companies granted) and it employs thousands.

On the same note, no domestic pets are given a choice. Children can't choose their parents. "

Not really a valid comparison is it? X

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

It doesn't sound as though the horses you ride have a great deal of choice about being kept in stables to be ridden for your pleasure. I appreciate there is a question of degree here but your own activity is on the same continuum as horse racing even if you perceive it as more benign because it is less dangerous for the animal.

Absolutely NO way is it the same, time in the field as well as the stable during rough weather, well kept with out the risk to it's life.. "

It is the same. Yours could fall because you put it at a jump wrong, put a foot in a rabbit hole whilst hacking because you chose that track to hack down, have a heart attack because you didn't notice a heart problem, we own these animals so we have to take responsibility for their daily lives and deaths.

The money in racing comes from betting, this enables the trainers and owners to provide the best care they possibly can for their athletes, but mistakes happen and the racing community amends its behavior to hopefully avoid those mistakes being repeated

over a year ago

It is the same. Yours could fall because you put it at a jump wrong, put a foot in a rabbit hole whilst hacking because you chose that track to hack down, have a heart attack because you didn't notice a heart problem, we own these animals so we have to take responsibility for their daily lives and deaths.

The money in racing comes from betting, this enables the trainers and owners to provide the best care they possibly can for their athletes, but mistakes happen and the racing community amends its behavior to hopefully avoid those mistakes being repeated"

The problems I’ve had with horses Christ. They are just as individual, fickle and fragile as any other animal, and can have completely unnoticed underlying health conditions that randomly flair up. Been the same with my last 3 and the new one is just a cantankerous fiery little witch so keeps injuring herself. Thoroughbreds are far and away the best looked after horses I’ve ever seen. More so than the big public order horses the police use.

By *uriouscayotesCouple
over a year ago

Falkirk

Cheltenham was only last month but its always the grand national that makes people lose their cool. Horse racing won't be banned. Tune in next year for the same debate

over a year ago

"Most thoroughbred are treated like kings. Take a trip to Newmarket."

I worked and lived in Newmarket and this is absolutely not true.

Having worked in the racing, breeding and rehab of racehorses, I have concluded that they are used as a commodity by the wealthy, and whilst the majority of the lads and lasses that care for them on a daily basis do it as a vocation, they too are used up and spat out when no longer cheap and pliable.

I broadly speaking agree with the OP's premise, but its not as simple as just banning it.

By *elethWoman
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Most thoroughbred are treated like kings. Take a trip to Newmarket.

I worked and lived in Newmarket and this is absolutely not true.

Having worked in the racing, breeding and rehab of racehorses, I have concluded that they are used as a commodity by the wealthy, and whilst the majority of the lads and lasses that care for them on a daily basis do it as a vocation, they too are used up and spat out when no longer cheap and pliable.

I broadly speaking agree with the OP's premise, but its not as simple as just banning it. "

Oh yes, the human side of it is horrendous too! Ridiculous working hours paid at less than minimum wage fiddled for official purposes by claiming a 60+ hour week is only 40 making the wage seem like it reaches the legal minimum. And absolutely treated like shite. I was treated like I was stupid, I couldn't stand still for a moment without being told to get back to work, you're not allowed the time to really build a bond with your horses because there's always more work to do it's fucking awful, and dangerous, made moreso by the working conditions. I only did about 3 weeks before I'd completed my mission of learning just how bad it really was from the perspective of an actual industry insider, and we learned in that just that small amount of time of a lass who'd been killed by getting a foot caught in a stirrup while falling off, and being dragged. It is a truly awful industry for the people as well as the horses.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

I cannot stand the Grand National. Nothing grand about it at all! The height of those jumps, for starters. Just why?

The clamouring to bet is unseemly and I guess therein lies the reason it'll never be banned - the gambling& betting sector.

I'm sure winning horses are treated like kings, while they're winning... I'm sure there are responsible owners out there. But seeing horses being shot on the field and recent photographs of trainers sitting on the corpses of their cash cows, sums up why the whole industry makes me sick.

And if you don't agree with me, shame on you!

over a year ago

"I cannot stand the Grand National. Nothing grand about it at all! The height of those jumps, for starters. Just why?

The clamouring to bet is unseemly and I guess therein lies the reason it'll never be banned - the gambling& betting sector.

I'm sure winning horses are treated like kings, while they're winning... I'm sure there are responsible owners out there. But seeing horses being shot on the field and recent photographs of trainers sitting on the corpses of their cash cows, sums up why the whole industry makes me sick.

And if you don't agree with me, shame on you!"

I don’t agree with you. And I don’t feel ashamed. So what now?

over a year ago

"I cannot stand the Grand National. Nothing grand about it at all! The height of those jumps, for starters. Just why?

I don’t agree with you. And I don’t feel ashamed. So what now? "

Hmmm you've created a paradox here

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

The so called “animal rights” group PETA kill more animals for absolutely no reason on a monthly basis than have died in the Grand National in its entire history

By *ral_isthenewblackMan
over a year ago

london

I'm sure they would get other employment...and they are still alive!! my concern is for all the horses that either don't make the grade good enough and get taken to the slaughter man...even though they are fit and healthy, then there are the ones that get injured or suffer a heart attack during a race and have to be destroyed on the race course, or the ones injured or have a heart attack during training and also have to be destroyed. Many a human makes money from these beautiful animals...I just think it's wrong, cruel and should be stopped. Not all race horses get well looked after in to their retirement...plenty of web sites will tell you just how many race horses die every year...some with graphic pictures/videos..not nice to see. You may watch 1 horse race and maybe see 1 horse that gets put behind the green screens or left dead under a green tarpaulin while the rest of the race continues, the Horse ambulance arrives then that dead horse has a chain put around it's neck and mechanically dragged in to the trailer after been forced on to the floor by a few humans and a shot to the head..a dignified end?...I don't think so this goes on all around the world in Horse racing not just here in the UK..It's shocking and cruel."

the irony is some care more bout the horses than the humans who would loose their jobs... never heard anyone even worry bout the safety of the jockies who ride them.. only bout the horses.. hmmmmmm... thinking

over a year ago

"The so called “animal rights” group PETA kill more animals for absolutely no reason on a monthly basis than have died in the Grand National in its entire history "

Hmm Interesting

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

I don’t agree with you. And I don’t feel ashamed. So what now? "

Nothing. I just judge you and get along with my day

over a year ago

I don’t agree with you. And I don’t feel ashamed. So what now?

Nothing. I just judge you and get along with my day "

Lol

By *igsteve43Man
over a year ago

derby

And what do you believe would happen to the horses if it was banned?

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

And what do you believe would happen to the horses if it was banned?"

No one would want them, they would be destroyed

over a year ago

And what do you believe would happen to the horses if it was banned?"

There’s another question of the sheer bizarre hyperbole around their description of putting the horse down. Fuck me I've lost so many of my horses now but I’ve only ever had one put to sleep by injection and never again. He could feel the poison working through his system and panicked. Never want to see that again. The kindest way to destroy an animal that big is by shooting them. Switches them off instantly. Far more humane

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

And if you don't agree with me, shame on you!"

. The Grand National is still the race that stops the nation.Things have improved over the years with regards to the Grand National the race is 400 metres shorter and the material used for the fences reduces the risk of serious injury although sadly a horse had to be put down in yesterday’s race.The picture of Gordon Elliott sitting on the dead horse was out of order.As someone that has a bet on the horses on a regular basis something I would like to see are less race meetings a small example today is Sunday and we have 4 race meetings going on the the UK today all with 7-8 races.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

And if you don't agree with me, shame on you!. The Grand National is still the race that stops the nation.Things have improved over the years with regards to the Grand National the race is 400 metres shorter and the material used for the fences reduces the risk of serious injury although sadly a horse had to be put down in yesterday’s race.The picture of Gordon Elliott sitting on the dead horse was out of order.As someone that has a bet on the horses on a regular basis something I would like to see are less race meetings a small example today is Sunday and we have 4 race meetings going on the the UK today all with 7-8 races."

He sat on the dead horse??? omg! What a sicko!

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

And if you don't agree with me, shame on you!. The Grand National is still the race that stops the nation.Things have improved over the years with regards to the Grand National the race is 400 metres shorter and the material used for the fences reduces the risk of serious injury although sadly a horse had to be put down in yesterday’s race.The picture of Gordon Elliott sitting on the dead horse was out of order.As someone that has a bet on the horses on a regular basis something I would like to see are less race meetings a small example today is Sunday and we have 4 race meetings going on the the UK today all with 7-8 races.

He sat on the dead horse??? omg! What a sicko!"

. Yes Gordon Elliott top Irish trainer sat on a dead horse picture was on social media as well as newspapers at first friends said it may have been altered but Gordon Elliott within a day said it’s a genuine picture which had not been altered.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

And if you don't agree with me, shame on you!. The Grand National is still the race that stops the nation.Things have improved over the years with regards to the Grand National the race is 400 metres shorter and the material used for the fences reduces the risk of serious injury although sadly a horse had to be put down in yesterday’s race.The picture of Gordon Elliott sitting on the dead horse was out of order.As someone that has a bet on the horses on a regular basis something I would like to see are less race meetings a small example today is Sunday and we have 4 race meetings going on the the UK today all with 7-8 races.

He sat on the dead horse??? omg! What a sicko!. Yes Gordon Elliott top Irish trainer sat on a dead horse picture was on social media as well as newspapers at first friends said it may have been altered but Gordon Elliott within a day said it’s a genuine picture which had not been altered."

over a year ago

lancashire

It's the breaking of legs being shot! Having heart attacks! All manor of injuries they suffer and consequently most of time get shot! The whipping to make them go faster etc etc etc x

Warmbloods absolutely live for sport tho. They have been selectively bred for that reason. And horses by their very nature are prone to injuries they may never recover from. Mines got a splint at the minute because she keeps barrelling into walls to try and knock them down, and no matter what I do I can’t stop her doing it when I’m not watching her. It’s what horses do. "

Is this whilst jumping? I don't understand that statement!! All the years of being around Horses them running in to walls is not some thing they do...a bad jumper will hit the jumps and injure them selves, even a good jumper will a some point hit the jump, more often it's rider error.

over a year ago

lancashire

And what do you believe would happen to the horses if it was banned?

There’s another question of the sheer bizarre hyperbole around their description of putting the horse down. Fuck me I've lost so many of my horses now but I’ve only ever had one put to sleep by injection and never again. He could feel the poison working through his system and panicked. Never want to see that again. The kindest way to destroy an animal that big is by shooting them. Switches them off instantly. Far more humane"

I know that giving a horse the injection rather than shooting it delays the dying process..not some thing that any one having to go through this awful thing would want. I meant that the whole thing that the Race horse goes through at the end is un dignified.

over a year ago

lancashire

He sat on the dead horse??? omg! What a sicko!. Yes Gordon Elliott top Irish trainer sat on a dead horse picture was on social media as well as newspapers at first friends said it may have been altered but Gordon Elliott within a day said it’s a genuine picture which had not been altered.

"

Yes shame on Gordon Elliott...he did sit on a dead Race horse that had a cardiac arrest whilst training...shocking and he should have got a life time ban instead of the 12 month...with 6 months of that suspended ban he received he also got a £13,000 fine, his excuses for doing it are as bad. Also a Irish jockey also did the same..sat on a dead Race horse that also had died...Rob James an ameteur jockey also got just a 12 month ban.

Post new Message to Thread