Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What is a relationship

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Loving the forum threads today!

In our swinging lives we all have boundaries and some of those seem more intensely intertwined with our views of relationship

So... What constitutes a relationship? Where are it's boundaries.. When do you 'know' you are in a relationship...

How about a fwb that you meet twice a week... Or a long distant friend, whom you speak with several times a day, but only meet once a month.. Where do they fall on your scale?

Is it only a relationship if you have 'feels'.. What if the other person doesn't - would you hide your feelings to preserve the 'relationship'

Gosh it's complicated isn't it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Loving the forum threads today!

In our swinging lives we all have boundaries and some of those seem more intensely intertwined with our views of relationship

So... What constitutes a relationship? Where are it's boundaries.. When do you 'know' you are in a relationship...

How about a fwb that you meet twice a week... Or a long distant friend, whom you speak with several times a day, but only meet once a month.. Where do they fall on your scale?

Is it only a relationship if you have 'feels'.. What if the other person doesn't - would you hide your feelings to preserve the 'relationship'

"

Mutual feelings (whatever they are) and mutual trust...I think so

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

That just gave me a headache.

Hugs don't constitute a relationship i hope.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm quite a literal person and if I'm meeting and talking to a person I call it a relationship.

I have a professional relationship with my doctor.

A sexual relationship with people we swing with.

Well, you get the picture.

On Facebook I know that declaring that you're "in a relationship" means you're romantically entwined and everyone should know it

By *oItForYorkshireCouple
over a year ago

Yorkshire

When you both want to be in it I suppose and faithful and honest to the point of whatever your rules dictate xx

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

I would probably say when feeling and expectations come into play on both sides.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"Romantic feelings" I suppose is the bluntest way I could put it.

I appreciate that's a shite description but I could probably fill the server if I tried to do any depth!

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

"

Relationships are usually very complicated and I think if you both feel as though you always want to be around each other and can't stop messaging or thinking about each other then you're pretty much in that place.

It has to be mutual or there's only half foundations to build on and it won't take long for it to come tumbling down.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I think it's when you have a set agreement on what are the expectations and boundaries you both have between each other. Be it friendship, FWB or a romantic relationship.

By *oItForYorkshireCouple
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I would probably say when feeling and expectations come into play on both sides.

"

I think that’s what I meant but S said it better

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

You have relationships with everyone even the postman. They’re just different ... I think in terms of 1-2-1 I use the word commitment as that’s totally different. I have relationships with everyone I meet but never commitment as I’m single.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I would only contemplate a alternative relationship this late in life! A fwb I suppose so I make that very clear! No more conventional relationships for me x

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

This is the thing with relationships... they should be two people who both have a full understanding and openness about the other, on whatever level that becomes. Yet we see daily so many in relationships looking for something secret outside that.

By *_the_impalerMan
over a year ago

canterbury

Different levels of relationships

Romantic

Business

Friendship

Professional to name a few

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Different levels of relationships

Romantic

Business

Friendship

Professional to name a few "

This ^^^

And I see the term even wider in as much that I consider brief encounters a form of temporary relationship.

The most important part is that both parties are in agreement to the terms f such encounters. Clarity of communication to manage expectations of each is key for a successful relationship... at any level.

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

I was writing a response but it became to complex, and both Saffron40 and Aphrodite said it spot on.

over a year ago

Im just scared of the R word so don't feel I can comment but I'm favouring _phrodites comment so far.

over a year ago

"

I don't think I'd ever think of it as a relationship if I had the feels but the other person didn't. I'd just give myself a talking to and move on.

I guess you'd agree together that things have turned into more, that you don't want to ever be without that person in your life. My idea of a relationship would be someone I want to share all parts of my life with, not just the sexual element or days out here and there.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"I'm quite a literal person and if I'm meeting and talking to a person I call it a relationship.

I have a professional relationship with my doctor.

A sexual relationship with people we swing with.

Well, you get the picture.

On Facebook I know that declaring that you're "in a relationship" means you're romantically entwined and everyone should know it "

This

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Relationships: old school where we date, potentially connect and live happily ever after. Our family and friends know we are in a relationship

FwB : not quite a relationship but we feel comfortable in one another’s space and happy to do vanilla things together too ** this is easily confused with dating which is NOT the same! ** Probably don’t share our FWB details with friends

FB: purely for sex - end of

NSA: where we can pick up and put down as time allows. No commitment expected or asked. Free to move on as and when we chose (respecting mutual feelings of course)

I fit into the NSA and FwB but I’m not looking for a relationship

over a year ago

A pipe dream of none existance

Post new Message to Thread