Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Laser eye surgery

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone here had laser eye surgery ? Glasses are so expensive and a pain to wear so I'm wondering about surgery. I am in contact with a clinic but obviously they will want to sell it to me so i am hoping for some info from people who have had it done. I wear varifocals and my left eye is especially bad.

Thank you x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I haven't, but I have relatives and friends who have.

For one it's been a complete fix, no regrets.

For another it's been less successful - the vision deterioration just started again, so she now needs glasses again. I suspect I'd be in that category (although deterioration from 20/20 would be a different proposition from deterioration from 200/20 )

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

You'll never pay the price on the advert,ever and there's no guarantee you'll not need glasses again, even in the near future

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Has anyone here had laser eye surgery ? Glasses are so expensive and a pain to wear so I'm wondering about surgery. I am in contact with a clinic but obviously they will want to sell it to me so i am hoping for some info from people who have had it done. I wear varifocals and my left eye is especially bad.

Thank you x"

Morning, I have stuck with the spectacles and I am glad because corrective surgery would have shot my chances at the job I have now

Anyway I know 2 people who have had the procedure and praise the results to high heaven and one of the two had similar problems as you describe and is now specs free and loving it

over a year ago

Not sounding good then

over a year ago

"Has anyone here had laser eye surgery ? Glasses are so expensive and a pain to wear so I'm wondering about surgery. I am in contact with a clinic but obviously they will want to sell it to me so i am hoping for some info from people who have had it done. I wear varifocals and my left eye is especially bad.

Thank you x

Morning, I have stuck with the spectacles and I am glad because corrective surgery would have shot my chances at the job I have now

Anyway I know 2 people who have had the procedure and praise the results to high heaven and one of the two had similar problems as you describe and is now specs free and loving it

"

Ah better

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Two of my friends got it done over 10 years ago and now require glasses or surgery again.

over a year ago

"I haven't, but I have relatives and friends who have.

For one it's been a complete fix, no regrets.

For another it's been less successful - the vision deterioration just started again, so she now needs glasses again. I suspect I'd be in that category (although deterioration from 20/20 would be a different proposition from deterioration from 200/20 )"

I haven’t either but friends who have had it have no regrets but it can deteriorate over time, as mentioned above. Age can also be a factor.

I don’t have much advice except to probe for details about any concerns you have and to check the rate of deterioration. Balance that with whether you feel it is worth the bill.

over a year ago

Thank you x

Ah better "

Indeed however one had it done 7 years ago and one 3.5 years ago so all is still good but I can’t comment on the outcome of other experiences but if you want it done I’m sure a good clinical consultation, with a list of questions, will steer you in the right direction

over a year ago

I always wanted lazer eyes id never have a cold coffee again

over a year ago

"I always wanted lazer eyes id never have a cold coffee again"

By *eerobCouple
over a year ago

solihull

Was going to pm you but im the wrong sex.

Get a consultation...you may be able to have lens replacement..which is more permanent than laser.

over a year ago

We've both been lasered, best decision ever! No probs with mine at all and it must be 10 years ago now.

Tabitha x

over a year ago

My friend had her lenses replaced. Very quick operation; literally seconds. They do one eye then the other six months later I think.

She went from jam jars to perfect vision.

She still uses reading glasses but it’s only a mild prescription.

A year or two later she found her eyesight deteriorating and went back to see them to find a Misty coating had formed, which is quite common. A quick blast with the laser and it’s perfect again and has been for years now.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I’m very interested in getting this done myself. I am sick of contacts and glasses do my big old head no favours.

What worries me is having a small incision made in the eye that freaks me out for a number of reasons. Especially as I don’t like being closed in so worry I will panic a little.

By *eerobCouple
over a year ago

solihull

Weve both had it done. Truly you have no comprehension of what is being done.

I had to have a bit if laser later because of a bit of cloudiness..thats been the only problem.

Had one eye done on Saturday then my otherone the next day.i have no regrets.

over a year ago

"I’m very interested in getting this done myself. I am sick of contacts and glasses do my big old head no favours.

What worries me is having a small incision made in the eye that freaks me out for a number of reasons. Especially as I don’t like being closed in so worry I will panic a little. "

Just think about it as staring into a light. You won't feel anything. If you can cope with an eye exam this is even easier!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"I’m very interested in getting this done myself. I am sick of contacts and glasses do my big old head no favours.

What worries me is having a small incision made in the eye that freaks me out for a number of reasons. Especially as I don’t like being closed in so worry I will panic a little.

Just think about it as staring into a light. You won't feel anything. If you can cope with an eye exam this is even easier!"

Cheers.

How long were you off your feet for?

over a year ago

Thank you, lots to think about. X

By *eerobCouple
over a year ago

solihull

Just think about it as staring into a light. You won't feel anything. If you can cope with an eye exam this is even easier!

Cheers.

How long were you off your feet for? "

Really easy. Take it easy and dont drive for 24 hours. No bending down etc. After three days pretty well do anything not to strenuous..back to gym after 2 weeks.

No pain or discomfort..truly really easy...

over a year ago

Thank you x

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Two of my friends had it. One at an Optimax clinic, the other at the most expensive place on Harley Street. Both very satisfied with the outcome.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

There is a better option now where they permanently replace the lens and it lasts forever and cures things like astigmatisms. It’s expensive and insurance won’t cover it but then they wont cover laser surgery either, which is annoying as they will pay a grand a year for glasses which is much more expensive in the long run. I’m waiting 3-4 years till the price stops then getting it done abroad

over a year ago

"There is a better option now where they permanently replace the lens and it lasts forever and cures things like astigmatisms. It’s expensive and insurance won’t cover it but then they wont cover laser surgery either, which is annoying as they will pay a grand a year for glasses which is much more expensive in the long run. I’m waiting 3-4 years till the price stops then getting it done abroad "

I think this is what I'm more likely to go for, probably have to save for a while.

over a year ago

I have three friends who had it done - 2 blokes in USA and one girl who went to s Korea on holiday to have it done (so she had both eyes at once)

All praised the process and love the results - nome of them had complications or any issues afterwards

Been a few years now, maybe 8-10 years

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS
over a year ago

doncaster

I had both eyes done 12 years ago, you can msg for my experience if you like

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS
over a year ago

doncaster

[Removed by poster at 09/04/21 15:32:16]

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS
over a year ago

doncaster

"There is a better option now where they permanently replace the lens and it lasts forever and cures things like astigmatisms. It’s expensive and insurance won’t cover it but then they wont cover laser surgery either, which is annoying as they will pay a grand a year for glasses which is much more expensive in the long run. I’m waiting 3-4 years till the price stops then getting it done abroad "
intra ocular implants have been available for years now for sight correction surgery

By *Wman15Man
over a year ago

Manchester

I've just had both lenses replaced - 4 weeks apart. Left eye had a serious cataract after retinal detachment surgery last year. Laser surgery not an option for me

Was due to have them done on the NHS last Autumn but op cancelled twice

At £6.5k by no means cheap but perfect vision bar reading

Truly life changing and completely painless

If anyone wants to know more feel free to PM me

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

Working in the trade the cheaper deals are generally the older technique for it, it's the old addage you get what you pay for, the latest technology and best techniques will cost more money but worth it, and they can now correct for presbyopia (multifocal) whereas you used to have to go back and have it tweaked as you age (you may still have to dependant on prescription)

over a year ago

Thank you

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS
over a year ago

doncaster

"Working in the trade the cheaper deals are generally the older technique for it, it's the old addage you get what you pay for, the latest technology and best techniques will cost more money but worth it, and they can now correct for presbyopia (multifocal) whereas you used to have to go back and have it tweaked as you age (you may still have to dependant on prescription)"
12 years ago I had LASIK with intralase wavefront technology,had both eyes done same time , when I first enquired and was assessed for laser correction in 1992 I was unsuitable as they couldn't correct the high astigmatism then so had to wait for the technology to develop and in 2009 I had it done , long wait lol

over a year ago

Had it done a couple of days ago. My only regret .... not doing it a long time ago. Quick, painless, with instant 20/20 vision. Cost a little over £3000. I was due new glasses and sunglasses which prob would have spent around £1500-2000. So value wise it’s great also.

My advice would be go for a consultation. Find a surgeon you feel happy with and take the plunge.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Working in the trade the cheaper deals are generally the older technique for it, it's the old addage you get what you pay for, the latest technology and best techniques will cost more money but worth it, and they can now correct for presbyopia (multifocal) whereas you used to have to go back and have it tweaked as you age (you may still have to dependant on prescription)"

Any companies to recommend? Based on multifocal and strong (blind as a bat) prescription?

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS
over a year ago

doncaster

"Working in the trade the cheaper deals are generally the older technique for it, it's the old addage you get what you pay for, the latest technology and best techniques will cost more money but worth it, and they can now correct for presbyopia (multifocal) whereas you used to have to go back and have it tweaked as you age (you may still have to dependant on prescription)

Any companies to recommend? Based on multifocal and strong (blind as a bat) prescription? "

had mine done by OE , cost just over £4000 12 years ago , I had a high degree of astigmatism and moderately short sighted , LASIK is said to be the best option

Post new Message to Thread