Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Oxfam banned

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

From applying for more funds from UK after more allegations.

Time to end this gravy train permanently methinks..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I often wonder how many donkeys/dancing bears/ soggy kittens/soggy doggies etc get saved by all the TV appeals on the daytime TV channels...and how many charity CEOs have big shiny cars and houses because of them

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Poor staving oxen

over a year ago

"From applying for more funds from UK after more allegations.

Time to end this gravy train permanently methinks.."

What allegations?

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

What allegations?"

More sexual misconduct allegations have come to light

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

"I often wonder how many donkeys/dancing bears/ soggy kittens/soggy doggies etc get saved by all the TV appeals on the daytime TV channels...and how many charity CEOs have big shiny cars and houses because of them"

If the general public knew what was going on with charities and where a lot of the money goes they would all stop donating. They are no longer charities but businesses!

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"I often wonder how many donkeys/dancing bears/ soggy kittens/soggy doggies etc get saved by all the TV appeals on the daytime TV channels...and how many charity CEOs have big shiny cars and houses because of them"

The answers are 1)none and 2)lots

over a year ago

"I often wonder how many donkeys/dancing bears/ soggy kittens/soggy doggies etc get saved by all the TV appeals on the daytime TV channels...and how many charity CEOs have big shiny cars and houses because of them

If the general public knew what was going on with charities and where a lot of the money goes they would all stop donating. They are no longer charities but businesses!"

Also the online fundraising sites where people can do their fundraising activity - they make millions shaving off their percentage.

over a year ago

My mum's Branch of Age Concern was shut down because someone was spending all the money on themself. It's hard to know which Charities to give to these days!

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Amazing how uncaring people can become once a cheque for a few quid arrives on their desk.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I know that one of the charities with a major high street presence (not Oxfam) give 11% to charitable causes - and they are one of the better ones.

Lots of the parents at my kid's private school work for charities.

Nuff said

C

over a year ago

Charities usually have a CEO earning 600k to million a year.

They are not charities. They are a profit making business

over a year ago

"My mum's Branch of Age Concern was shut down because someone was spending all the money on themself. It's hard to know which Charities to give to these days! "

A charity shops where I live was closed and the manager went to prison because she was selling a lot of the donations on selling sites for a personal profit.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"Charities usually have a CEO earning 600k to million a year.

They are not charities. They are a profit making business"

And from what I have read, charities can be toxic environments in which to work; narcissistic individuals know that many workers and volunteers in charities have a pro-social mindset and thus can be exploited and bullied by a Machiavellian exploiter who insinuates themselves into this fertile environment.

over a year ago

They are not charities. They are a profit making business

And from what I have read, charities can be toxic environments in which to work; narcissistic individuals know that many workers and volunteers in charities have a pro-social mindset and thus can be exploited and bullied by a Machiavellian exploiter who insinuates themselves into this fertile environment."

This is true. The Samaritans branch, in my city had to close due to a culture of bullying by management. It was that endemic, the staff who worked in the shop and on the phone lines, ended up needing to speak to counsellors themselves. Absolutely terrible.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

There is a particular form of psychopath called the community narcissist who derives their supply from feigning concern for others whilst actually being a self-interested bully who exploits, cajoles controls and manipulates others to their own ends.

Workers in charities (and members of religious orders in developing countries) have been found to be some of the vindictive abusers in existence whilst hiding behind the uniform and mask of purported benevolence.

Members of UN organisations have been found to have similar traits; some of them, but not all of them.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

"My mum's Branch of Age Concern was shut down because someone was spending all the money on themself. It's hard to know which Charities to give to these days!

A charity shops where I live was closed and the manager went to prison because she was selling a lot of the donations on selling sites for a personal profit. "

I buy a lot of stuff on EBay and there are a few charities on there saying sale profits go to a certain charity, but I guess there is no way of being sure whose pocket the money actually goes in

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

here, take a look https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEO_compensation_among_charities_in_the_United_Kingdom

over a year ago

Alot of charities are just scams, before donating to the larger ones check how much there ceo is on (often 1m+) and what actual percentage actually goes too the person it claims to help

often pennies in the pound

so much rather prefer to help locally independently run ones, they appreciate so much more and wont bombard you with open hands id you decide to stop

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

They should be made to display a big sign saying what percentage actually goes the the end person, animal, etc. after 'administration'.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"They should be made to display a big sign saying what percentage actually goes the the end person, animal, etc. after 'administration'. "

Loads of UK governments have previously promised transparency on this sort of thing, but when I did my Will fairly recently it was still almost impossible to find out the actual numbers for the charities that I was considering.

I managed to pick Oxfam as a beneficiary right before the first scandal broke, got to laugh.

I'm going to amend my will, but still the same problem, trying to find out the key metrics.

I'm sure I will go for a local one now.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

"I often wonder how many donkeys/dancing bears/ soggy kittens/soggy doggies etc get saved by all the TV appeals on the daytime TV channels...and how many charity CEOs have big shiny cars and houses because of them

here, take a look https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEO_compensation_among_charities_in_the_United_Kingdom"

wow ... that's disgusting

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

here, take a look https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEO_compensation_among_charities_in_the_United_Kingdom wow ... that's disgusting "

and that's only the CEO, apparently people are on a wage right down to and including the shop managers, the only people not being paid are the volunteers on the shop floor

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

I was looking at a job at a certain charity recently. Same thing I'm doing now, but at their headquarters in London... and paying less than I'm getting out here in the provinces.

Didn't bother applying, obviously.

Remember, folks: Charities only exist because government has failed.

over a year ago

What I've thought for years.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"I was looking at a job at a certain charity recently. Same thing I'm doing now, but at their headquarters in London... and paying less than I'm getting out here in the provinces.

Didn't bother applying, obviously.

Remember, folks: Charities only exist because government has failed.

"

Have you seen the size of the shiny Salvation Army headquarters near St Paul's? Must have been 50 million spunked on that alone.

over a year ago

I often wonder about all the money we give to cancer,yet we still can't find a cure.

There's a vaccination made for covid in less than a year,so it makes me think....do they really want to find a cure,maybe finding a cure will put too many people out of jobs,including a lot of people not getting the money anymore.

I lost both my parents to cancer many years ago,and I pay into certain cancer charities,but lately I'm having my doubts.

I could be wrong here but I've never ever heard about any of the royal family getting cancer,yet all of you reading this will all have known someone who has had cancer or died from it...I've never heard any of them getting it.

I could be clutching at straws..but it makes you think.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I wonder the same thing...

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

More to this than meets the eye

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I often wonder about all the money we give to cancer,yet we still can't find a cure.

There's a vaccination made for covid in less than a year,so it makes me think....do they really want to find a cure,maybe finding a cure will put too many people out of jobs,including a lot of people not getting the money anymore.

I lost both my parents to cancer many years ago,and I pay into certain cancer charities,but lately I'm having my doubts.

I could be wrong here but I've never ever heard about any of the royal family getting cancer,yet all of you reading this will all have known someone who has had cancer or died from it...I've never heard any of them getting it.

I could be clutching at straws..but it makes you think. "

George VI the current monarchs father had lung cancer, his brother the Duke of Windsor had throat cancer and two of Queen Victoria's children had cancer

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I often wonder about all the money we give to cancer,yet we still can't find a cure.

George VI the current monarchs father had lung cancer, his brother the Duke of Windsor had throat cancer and two of Queen Victoria's children had cancer"

And?

By *andy_tomMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

What allegations?

More sexual misconduct allegations have come to light"

Yes I think we have been fucked over enough

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

George VI the current monarchs father had lung cancer, his brother the Duke of Windsor had throat cancer and two of Queen Victoria's children had cancer

And?"

the poster said that they'd never heard of any of the royal family getting cancer. I named some

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And?

the poster said that they'd never heard of any of the royal family getting cancer. I named some"

Got it.. thank you

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

They are not charities. They are a profit making business"

And why would they want to solve world problems and put themselves out of business.

over a year ago

George VI the current monarchs father had lung cancer, his brother the Duke of Windsor had throat cancer and two of Queen Victoria's children had cancer"

That was long before modern medicine etc....couldn't be helped then.

My point is there's more than likely a cure there,but it'll cost too much to release into the population....but with a royal family that brings in a lot of tourists which brings money to this country..its worth keeping them going....we all want to protect assets that make us a lot of money.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

That was long before modern medicine etc....couldn't be helped then.

My point is there's more than likely a cure there,but it'll cost too much to release into the population....but with a royal family that brings in a lot of tourists which brings money to this country..its worth keeping them going....we all want to protect assets that make us a lot of money. "

Surely not...

Post new Message to Thread