Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Staycation

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

So.... Having a lively debate on Facebook with someone who asserts that using the term staycation in reference to a holiday in the UK is entitled behaviour as implies it is less than a holiday abroad.

They also claim that the majority of people in the UK actually holiday here rather than go abroad.

What do you think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I think they are talking shite

over a year ago

evesham

"I think they are talking shite"

Me to. I told them as much

By *aiseaneyebrowMan
over a year ago

Fylde

Holiday is a break from normality in my view. Where, isn’t the key point.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I think they are talking shite"

yup

Lu

over a year ago

Tell Karen on Facebook to get off Facebook and

enjoy the lovely weather!!!!

T

over a year ago

Prefer holidays abroad that’s from a personal view think my best holiday was sharm el sheik in Egypt

over a year ago

I wanna go back to Thailand. One for leisure and two for work. Check out some firms there

Wanna work and live abroad while I'm still fit enough too

over a year ago

evesham

But do we think the term staycation is an entitled term.... That's her argument.

By *heshirefungirlWoman
over a year ago

ammanford

My holiday's are normally formed by visiting friends and family in england and a trip to chames for bbw, this time I'm currently spending my week off having a staycation, staying in my bed with my new wand lol

I dont think its entitled I could normally go abroad if I want to be I chose to stay in the uk

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

"I think they are talking shite

Me to. I told them as much "

Staycation is literally holiday at home. There is nothing worthy about it, it is entirely due to the impracticality of travel due to circumstances beyond the worlds control

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I'm not so sure they're talking shite (though the word staycation does grate).

It's difficult to get a real figure on the number of British adults who don't hold a passport, but it's normally estimated between 14 and 17%.

Then you look at people like my mum's siblings who hold passports for ID but are in their 80s and have never been abroad (her brother did National Service but that's the only time he's ever left the country).

When you look at my generation most have been abroad, but among my cousins few take a foreign holiday every year. I know a lot of people whose usual holidays are camping in the UK or renting a static caravan for a week or two.

When money is tight flights are an easy luxury to do without.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I'm not so sure they're talking shite (though the word staycation does grate).

It's difficult to get a real figure on the number of British adults who don't hold a passport, but it's normally estimated between 14 and 17%.

Then you look at people like my mum's siblings who hold passports for ID but are in their 80s and have never been abroad (her brother did National Service but that's the only time he's ever left the country).

When you look at my generation most have been abroad, but among my cousins few take a foreign holiday every year. I know a lot of people whose usual holidays are camping in the UK or renting a static caravan for a week or two.

When money is tight flights are an easy luxury to do without."

Bugger, forgot to answer the original question!

Do I think it's an entitled term, no. I don't think the word implies it's less than a foreign holiday, it's just one of those annoying words that crops up. I've also not really heard it to refer to holidays away in the UK, normally I hear it being used for holidays taken at home.

over a year ago

I thought a staycation was staying at your house for your time off and doing lots of day trips and things:

People use it for a holiday in the UK which I don’t think is the right term.

over a year ago

Don't know if the majority holiday here. Many won't be able to afford to holiday anywhere but at home.

Staycation is just a buzzword. Like snowflake.

What are her arguments for it being entitled? Or is it just her feeling?

Assuming she can't afford to go away and is feeling shit.

over a year ago

"But do we think the term staycation is an entitled term.... That's her argument. "

I suppose it depends whos saying it. Some people so view holidaying in the UK as beneath them, its a step down from ‘flashy’ holidays abroad. Others feel they’d rather holiday around the UK there are so many places to visit etc. Others have a balance they appreciate both UK holidays and traveling abroad. If you feel youre better than other people because you’re traveling abroad then maybe you are entitled.

over a year ago

It's an irritating word.

I don't speak Facebook or social media so I don't have to look at people talking bollocks - just here

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I think they are talking shite

Me to. I told them as much

Staycation is literally holiday at home. There is nothing worthy about it, it is entirely due to the impracticality of travel due to circumstances beyond the worlds control"

I agree with birthday boy

Post new Message to Thread