Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Coming of anti depressants

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So last year I was put on a course of anti depressants. Sertraline to be specific. Some trouble in my personal life got on top of me culminating in an all out spiral at New Years. The massive global pandemic also was nice timing!

Started on 50g before going up to 100mg. On them for a year and combined with some other changes on my end to be more comfortable in my own skin. I gradually took the dose lower and lower and I've been meds free for a month.

I have been finding myself a little more tired, just wondered if anyone else who had stopped experienced any other side effects whilst coming off them?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

While coming off, yes, although not specifically fatigue.

I'm surprised that you're experiencing it a month out.

I'm not in any way diagnosing you (not qualified in any case), but I'm sure you're aware that fatigue can be a symptom of depression. Might be something to watch out for.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I would advise getting some blood tests done to see if you have any deficiencies (B12/folate/D/iron)

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Well done thats great news

How have you come off them? I came off them 6 months ago but it was a 3 month process to come off them. I came of them too quick a year previously and its pushed me into a exhausting, deep dark place.

This time yes its taken 6 months 'clean' to start to enjoy life again, tiredness loss of libido, loss of 'drive' by that i mean it made me so so lazy and lathargic.. not bothered or interested in anything and very emotional (i was in tears at the lion king!

6 months on the only effect im still having issues with libido my sex drive is average to say the least, it was ridiculously high.. however after speaking to my councillor she confirmed what im experiencing now is a 'normal' sex drive and what i had before was a 'coping mechanism' sex was used as a way to get a short thrill which you'll understand is what those of us do that suffer from depression.

By *asilyled1Man
over a year ago

ogmore valley

Hello op. Great news that you feel well enough to come off them.I’m on some myself. They do say talk to your doctor before coming off them,so maybe book an appointment and tell him you feel well enough to come off them but just ask for advice on how you’re feeling.like I said,great news you feel ok now

over a year ago

"Well done thats great news

How have you come off them? I came off them 6 months ago but it was a 3 month process to come off them. I came of them too quick a year previously and its pushed me into a exhausting, deep dark place.

This time yes its taken 6 months 'clean' to start to enjoy life again, tiredness loss of libido, loss of 'drive' by that i mean it made me so so lazy and lathargic.. not bothered or interested in anything and very emotional (i was in tears at the lion king!

6 months on the only effect im still having issues with libido my sex drive is average to say the least, it was ridiculously high.. however after speaking to my councillor she confirmed what im experiencing now is a 'normal' sex drive and what i had before was a 'coping mechanism' sex was used as a way to get a short thrill which you'll understand is what those of us do that suffer from depression. "

At first I was on 100mg and the doctor gave me 50mg just to see how I got on. Was on them for about 2 months and got on fine. From that I split the tablet in half going to 25mg.

Repeated the process for a week so I didn't go cold turkey essentially.

over a year ago

"So last year I was put on a course of anti depressants. Sertraline to be specific. Some trouble in my personal life got on top of me culminating in an all out spiral at New Years. The massive global pandemic also was nice timing!

Started on 50g before going up to 100mg. On them for a year and combined with some other changes on my end to be more comfortable in my own skin. I gradually took the dose lower and lower and I've been meds free for a month.

I have been finding myself a little more tired, just wondered if anyone else who had stopped experienced any other side effects whilst coming off them? "

get a Fuck buddy

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Well done thats great news

6 months on the only effect im still having issues with libido my sex drive is average to say the least, it was ridiculously high.. however after speaking to my councillor she confirmed what im experiencing now is a 'normal' sex drive and what i had before was a 'coping mechanism' sex was used as a way to get a short thrill which you'll understand is what those of us do that suffer from depression.

At first I was on 100mg and the doctor gave me 50mg just to see how I got on. Was on them for about 2 months and got on fine. From that I split the tablet in half going to 25mg.

Repeated the process for a week so I didn't go cold turkey essentially. "

Glad you tapered - that's important

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Well done OP!!

I would say maybe start writing a journal to see if you can pin point when you start to feel tired. It may be you're not actually getting proper sleep or to do with a vitamin/food deficiency, or even may be that your mood naturally dips at certain times in the day.

If you see a pattern you can work out ways to break the cycle hopefully.

over a year ago

As another poster said, it can sometimes take a few months, but if you're still feeling noticeably tired maybe get a blood test to check for deficiencies, which are quite common as we get a bit older. Nothing to overly stress about, you should be chuffed with yourself that you've managed to get to this point, ive been med free for 4 years now myself. Well done man

over a year ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the journal idea and will get blood tests if it persists.

Post new Message to Thread