Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Athletic profiles 2

Jump to newest

By *arol321 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Poole

What are people’s understanding of Athletic as a body type?

To me it indicates Gym fit/toned/muscular etc. I am seeing so many profiles that say athletic and the pictures show anything but.

I’m seeing lots of saggy tummy’s, a few beer bellies and some definite muffin tops. That’s not to say anything against these guys it’s just that to me it’s really not an ‘athletic’ body type.

Is it my definition that’s off or is it wishful thinking from the guys?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

To me it's slim and toned but that's just my own personal definition and I'm not overly fussed how other people want to define themselves. People have argued with me before about if I'm curvy or not but if I changed to fit one persons definition, someone else would only disagree.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Athletic to me would be like an actual athletes build. I would think runner/cyclist, so slim, hard body type, not much body fat.

I wouldn't class body builders in that, to me that would be muscular.

More options in the description boxes would be good!

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I think that athletic is a very specific thing. It’s about being fit physically.

It’s not a vague term, it’s not ‘curvy’ or ‘average’. Athletic has a very specific definition.

It took me a hell of a lot of hard work and dedication to get fit, to achieve weight loss and to change my body how I wanted. I think that it’s a little insulting when people use that term, when the only exercise they do is to walk to the fridge.

Let me be clear, I’m not body shaming anyone and I believe that all shapes and sizes can be and are beautiful but lying and deceiving people is just plain wrong

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Well I guess it depends on whether you would call all sports people athletic. For example - a lot of rugby players aren't exactly slender but they will be a hell of a lot fitter than me.

Each to their own really, everyone's perception will be different on shape and size. Which is where photos come in I guess

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Athletic to me would be like an actual athletes build. I would think runner/cyclist, so slim, hard body type, not much body fat.

More options in the description boxes would be good!"

I kind of agree with you but it depends on the type of athlete. Muscular and gym fit are lumped in, even though often, those types have little actual cardiovascular fitness (which is the definition of athletic)

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Clearly wishful thinking

over a year ago

I just look at the pictures.

over a year ago

"I just look at the pictures. "

Pics don’t tell the whole story lol

over a year ago

"I just look at the pictures.

Pics don’t tell the whole story lol"

I didn't say I took them at face value.

By *AABMan
over a year ago

Not far

I’d say athletic is the result of activities that promote cardiovascular fitness. Running, cycling, swimming, etc.

By *lyreelMan
over a year ago

King's lynn

If you think the term Athletic gets abused what about Fabulous!

You can have Ample, Large then Fabulous? Eh, shouldn’t that just be obese?

Now I don’t have a problem with anyone’s weight per se but terming being grossly overweight as fabulous is a strange concept. Shouldn’t we all just be fabulous?

over a year ago

I might be verging on thick here, but I don’t actually get what an ‘average’ body is, especially for females since there’s options for ‘slim’ ‘curvy’ etc

over a year ago

"What are people’s understanding of Athletic as a body type?

To me it indicates Gym fit/toned/muscular etc. I am seeing so many profiles that say athletic and the pictures show anything but.

I’m seeing lots of saggy tummy’s, a few beer bellies and some definite muffin tops. That’s not to say anything against these guys it’s just that to me it’s really not an ‘athletic’ body type.

Is it my definition that’s off or is it wishful thinking from the guys? "

Athletic should be slim and slightly defined just like an athlete

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Athletic should be slim and slightly defined just like an athlete "

So rugby players aren't athletes?

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

"I might be verging on thick here, but I don’t actually get what an ‘average’ body is, especially for females since there’s options for ‘slim’ ‘curvy’ etc "

I'm the same - I'll admit I don't even look at the body type if I can see from photos

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

14% body fat and under I'd class as Athletic, muscular or not, Skinny fat, not being in this category. Altho I'm a fat twat now with covid, 20+% body fat, I won't be getting my gunt out until its gone.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

So rugby players aren't athletes? "

They're athletes but not athletic build, they're muscular and usually have more body fat

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

"14% body fat and under I'd class as Athletic, muscular or not, Skinny fat, not being in this category. Altho I'm a fat twat now with covid, 20+% body fat, I won't be getting my gunt out until its gone."

I was 5.7% last check

By *assageCreweMan
over a year ago

near you

Low body fat - under 15% and visibly defined muscles.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"14% body fat and under I'd class as Athletic, muscular or not, Skinny fat, not being in this category. Altho I'm a fat twat now with covid, 20+% body fat, I won't be getting my gunt out until its gone."

I'll make you feel better with my 25% . Though I am a woman with big knockers!

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

They're athletes but not athletic build, they're muscular and usually have more body fat "

I would definitely agree with that but from the body type choices should they then choose 'average' or 'large' which I'd say isn't a great description either?

over a year ago

So rugby players aren't athletes? "

Well I play rugby, would you say I’ve got an athletic body or a rugby players body....

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

"14% body fat and under I'd class as Athletic, muscular or not, Skinny fat, not being in this category. Altho I'm a fat twat now with covid, 20+% body fat, I won't be getting my gunt out until its gone.

I'll make you feel better with my 25% . Though I am a woman with big knockers! "

They probably make up at least 18% of that

over a year ago

Each to their own i say .

I think i have athletic on my profile , i shall have to check .

I am a tad older so there are some wobbly bits . I like to tjink i keep myself in good shape for a senior ha ha .

I cycle heaps of miles , walk , a bit of yoga and some of that planking marlaky .

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

They're athletes but not athletic build, they're muscular and usually have more body fat

I would definitely agree with that but from the body type choices should they then choose 'average' or 'large' which I'd say isn't a great description either? "

Muscular I guess

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Well I play rugby, would you say I’ve got an athletic body or a rugby players body.... "

I'm not entirely sure what you are rolling your eyes at because I'm pretty sure not all rugby players are your shape

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

Well I play rugby, would you say I’ve got an athletic body or a rugby players body.... "

More rugby I'd say personally

over a year ago

Good question.

I've actually got it on my profile, but wouldn't say I'm an athlete, but I do play sports, swim and go to the gym and try to keep myself fit and healthy. I've certainly got more a rugby player's build than a swimmer/cyclist/runner's that's for sure.

I also like a beer...

Given that you're female and likely to be getting bombarded with messages, why not simply ask potential suiters for a recent full body picture from several angles and poses.

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

I would definitely agree with that but from the body type choices should they then choose 'average' or 'large' which I'd say isn't a great description either?

Muscular I guess "

I would agree but that isn't in the Fab body shape options which I think is part of the problem. Many body shapes/types don't fit into the drop down menu options given to us.

over a year ago

Well I play rugby, would you say I’ve got an athletic body or a rugby players body....

I'm not entirely sure what you are rolling your eyes at because I'm pretty sure not all rugby players are your shape"

Exactly

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

Muscular I guess

I would agree but that isn't in the Fab body shape options which I think is part of the problem. Many body shapes/types don't fit into the drop down menu options given to us. "

I guess best to put average out of options then for now. People will always make their own mind up if you have it down differently to what they think your build is.

By *arker secrets 321Man
over a year ago

West Bromwich

I will let u decide x

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Muscular I guess

I would agree but that isn't in the Fab body shape options which I think is part of the problem. Many body shapes/types don't fit into the drop down menu options given to us.

I guess best to put average out of options then for now. People will always make their own mind up if you have it down differently to what they think your build is. "

Thats what I would say. As long as there are photos to go by I don't even notice what people have chosen as their body type.

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

"14% body fat and under I'd class as Athletic, muscular or not, Skinny fat, not being in this category. Altho I'm a fat twat now with covid, 20+% body fat, I won't be getting my gunt out until its gone.

I'll make you feel better with my 25% . Though I am a woman with big knockers! "

I think 22% and under is what is classed as athletic, 25% is perfect I'd say

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

"I will let u decide x "

I think I need more thigh photos to make an accurate decision

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

They probably make up at least 18% of that "

!

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I think 22% and under is what is classed as athletic, 25% is perfect I'd say "

Kinda blows your mind a bit. 1/4 of my body is fat. Crazy!

By *kyblue1878Couple
over a year ago

Southport

"Athletic to me would be like an actual athletes build. I would think runner/cyclist, so slim, hard body type, not much body fat.

More options in the description boxes would be good!"

Agree, serious body builders are very rarely athletes. Athletes may use weights for strength and conditioning but their strength lies in cardo vascular exercise.

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

Kinda blows your mind a bit. 1/4 of my body is fat. Crazy! "

Definitely better than being in bedsit to a marathon runner though, something to snuggle up to and appreciate a lot better,rather than skin and bones

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

Kinda blows your mind a bit. 1/4 of my body is fat. Crazy!

Definitely better than being in bedsit to a marathon runner though, something to snuggle up to and appreciate a lot better,rather than skin and bones "

*bed next

By *91kMan
over a year ago

Maidstone

Is it my definition that’s off or is it wishful thinking from the guys? "

Athletic to me suggests muscular definition, not necessarily muscular size. You could have massive muscles whilst not being particularly athletic and vice versa, you could have fairly average sized muscles but very athletic in appearance. Just my two cents

By *arker secrets 321Man
over a year ago

West Bromwich

"I will let u decide x

I think I need more thigh photos to make an accurate decision "

Not got any will do some ASAP x

over a year ago

Male athletes typically have between 6 and 13 percent body fat, whereas female athletes have about 14 to 20 percent body fat.

ACE identifies a man with 14 to 17 percent body fat or a woman with 21 to 24 percent body fat to be in the "fitness" category. ACE also categorizes 18 to 24 percent body fat for men and 25 to 31 percent body fat for women as "acceptable" ranges.

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

"I will let u decide x

I think I need more thigh photos to make an accurate decision

Not got any will do some ASAP x "

They would be very much appreciated and not only by me I'm sure

over a year ago

Everyone has their own vieW as to what defines athletic.

I put myself down as this. 18 stone, bodyfat around 18-20%, it's very obvious I lift yet. I compete at national/European level.

I've been called a fat bastard and should change my profile to average or overweight because I dont have rock hard abs.

I do plenty of cardio, fit as fiddle.

If I dont meet someones definition of athletic I really dont give a shit.

By *mbisextrousCouple
over a year ago

Manchester/Glossop

We posted the original and if definitely wasn’t supposed to be like this,it wasn’t about how others were or looked it’s was about we felt xx

over a year ago

"I think that athletic is a very specific thing. It’s about being fit physically.

It’s not a vague term, it’s not ‘curvy’ or ‘average’. Athletic has a very specific definition.

It took me a hell of a lot of hard work and dedication to get fit, to achieve weight loss and to change my body how I wanted. I think that it’s a little insulting when people use that term, when the only exercise they do is to walk to the fridge.

Let me be clear, I’m not body shaming anyone and I believe that all shapes and sizes can be and are beautiful but lying and deceiving people is just plain wrong "

Hardly the most athletic of athletic folk tho are you? A skinny chest with a bit of pecs really. Why not just let others choice how they difine thenselves

By *t3_jalapenoMan
over a year ago

darlo

Id be athletic if i had muscles

over a year ago

"I think that athletic is a very specific thing. It’s about being fit physically.

Let me be clear, I’m not body shaming anyone and I believe that all shapes and sizes can be and are beautiful but lying and deceiving people is just plain wrong

Hardly the most athletic of athletic folk tho are you? A skinny chest with a bit of pecs really. Why not just let others choice how they difine thenselves "

You've put yourself as athletic with little to no muscle, pot kettle black

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

"Everyone has their own vieW as to what defines athletic.

I put myself down as this. 18 stone, bodyfat around 18-20%, it's very obvious I lift yet. I compete at national/European level.

I've been called a fat bastard and should change my profile to average or overweight because I dont have rock hard abs.

I do plenty of cardio, fit as fiddle.

If I dont meet someones definition of athletic I really dont give a shit.

"

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

[Removed by poster at 05/04/21 19:45:57]

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

To me it indicates Gym fit/toned/muscular etc."

To me it indicates that too, that is why I have selected athletic on my profile. I workout and have a 6pack

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Hardly the most athletic of athletic folk tho are you? A skinny chest with a bit of pecs really. Why not just let others choice how they difine thenselves "

Funnily enough, I’d just ran a marathon in those pictures and have a resting heart rate of less than 60. By what definition is that not athletic?

over a year ago

Why do you feel the need to pull others down? Think that's an uncalled for comment to be honest and was pretty rude

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

[Removed by poster at 05/04/21 20:19:02]

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

Hardly the most athletic of athletic folk tho are you? A skinny chest with a bit of pecs really. Why not just let others choice how they difine thenselves

Why do you feel the need to pull others down? Think that's an uncalled for comment to be honest and was pretty rude "

Especially when the rude person reminds me of a melted candle hahaha

over a year ago

Think I'm maybe in that category

over a year ago

Athletic to me suggests muscular definition, not necessarily muscular size. You could have massive muscles whilst not being particularly athletic and vice versa, you could have fairly average sized muscles but very athletic in appearance. Just my two cents"

Also think you've hit the nail on the head here

But really who cares what people label themselves as, most people have pictures of what they look like so you can be the judge of whether you like that body type or not.

Her x

over a year ago

But who gives a shit when you've aa big cock right ?

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"But who gives a shit when you've aa big cock right ? "

If that’s all you’ve got, then no one will care

over a year ago

"But who gives a shit when you've aa big cock right ?

If that’s all you’ve got, then no one will care"

Oh no, that's all us women look for. Big cock... Didn't you know?

over a year ago

If that’s all you’ve got, then no one will care"

I don't want people to care pal because we all know feelings and thoughts change like the wind

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I don't want people to care pal because we all know feelings and thoughts change like the wind "

Unless people think you’re an ass, that never changes

over a year ago

I don't want people to care pal because we all know feelings and thoughts change like the wind

Unless people think you’re an ass, that never changes"

People have been thinking I'm an ass for decades, but some also tell me regular I'm a star and a legend as I'm sure future encounters most certainly do also, that's life

over a year ago

Unless people think you’re an ass, that never changes"

People also judge no matter what anyway, I'm not fitting inside noones box

over a year ago

"

Peronelly you dont really have the body to play rugby as your too skinny. Nothing wrong with your look but i would expect a rugby player to be more beefy and bigger built

over a year ago

You've put yourself as athletic with little to no muscle, pot kettle black"

Wasnt meaning to be rude or cause offence was just giving my opinion and i do lots of walking, swimming and running so i class myself as Athletic and like others have said it means different things to different folk

By *eliciousladyWoman
over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

An interesting argument..

When one has worked out for many weeks, I consider them (and myself) athletic.

Being less active for a few weeks, possibly makes them (and me) average.

I personally alternative between the two.

By *91kMan
over a year ago

Maidstone

"

Peronelly you dont really have the body to play rugby as your too skinny. Nothing wrong with your look but i would expect a rugby player to be more beefy and bigger built "

Dude, sometimes it's better to keep an opinion to yourself. If he wants to play rugby, then he wants to play rugby... End of story

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

Wasnt meaning to be rude or cause offence was just giving my opinion and i do lots of walking, swimming and running so i class myself as Athletic and like others have said it means different things to different folk "

Are you seriously having a laugh! you have a half pic with no tone or definition, yet you dare criticise other over their physiques, you have, ur profile down as athletic, your what one might say no rudeness intended "skinny fat but dare to judge other wtf

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

ur defo athletic pal

over a year ago

Wasnt meaning to be rude or cause offence was just giving my opinion and i do lots of walking, swimming and running so i class myself as Athletic and like others have said it means different things to different folk

Are you seriously having a laugh! you have a half pic with no tone or definition, yet you dare criticise other over their physiques, you have, ur profile down as athletic, your what one might say no rudeness intended "skinny fat but dare to judge other wtf"

Im hardly fat im a 32 waist so if we are splitting hairs im probably average but i choose athletic due to my running and swimming activities that i do. I know you wasnt being rude but with respect you cant really make a judgement from 1 half photo

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

Are you seriously having a laugh! you have a half pic with no tone or definition, yet you dare criticise other over their physiques, you have, ur profile down as athletic, your what one might say no rudeness intended "skinny fat but dare to judge other wtf

Im hardly fat im a 32 waist so if we are splitting hairs im probably average but i choose athletic due to my running and swimming activities that i do. I know you wasnt being rude but with respect you cant really make a judgement from 1 half photo "

Bit if ur gna judge other and be rude ur gonna get the truth back and your not athletic, waist has nothing to do with it, It's bodyfat percentage. This is fact

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Guys...

over a year ago

I know loads of people who are athletic but not ripped. If I let ona few lb I wouldn't look ripped but I'd still be athletic if that makes sense. Looks sumo wrestler for example carries alot of body fat but super fit they have hardly any inside them it's all subcutaneous

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

"Guys..."
Very rude though

over a year ago

Im hardly fat im a 32 waist so if we are splitting hairs im probably average but i choose athletic due to my running and swimming activities that i do. I know you wasnt being rude but with respect you cant really make a judgement from 1 half photo

Bit if ur gna judge other and be rude ur gonna get the truth back and your not athletic, waist has nothing to do with it, It's bodyfat percentage. This is fact"

Im a very athletic person i have done matothons etc and yes i get what your saying about body fat but hardly anyone could tell you what body fat they have and most of us who do say we are athletic probably dont come into the official box but athletic means different things to different folk as its subjective so each to their own and i wasnt meaning to be rude just giving my opinion. Apologies if it caused offence

By *undayTarkaMan
over a year ago

South west

Bit if ur gna judge other and be rude ur gonna get the truth back and your not athletic, waist has nothing to do with it, It's bodyfat percentage. This is fact

Im a very athletic person i have done matothons etc and yes i get what your saying about body fat but hardly anyone could tell you what body fat they have and most of us who do say we are athletic probably dont come into the official box but athletic means different things to different folk as its subjective so each to their own and i wasnt meaning to be rude just giving my opinion. Apologies if it caused offence "

Anyway I'm a sack after lockdown, hahaha need to get my arse in the gym once it reopens

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Agree, serious body builders are very rarely athletes. Athletes may use weights for strength and conditioning but their strength lies in cardo vascular exercise. "

If we're going to get technical, athletes in throwing events (hammer, javelin, discus, shot put) do not require significant cardiovascular fitness. They compete in the sporting events we call "athletics" - the field bit of track & field. Short distance sprinters don't need much cardiovascular fitness either, but good luck telling Mr Bolt and friends that they aren't athletes.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Why do you feel the need to pull others down? Think that's an uncalled for comment to be honest and was pretty rude

Especially when the rude person reminds me of a melted candle hahaha"

Ha ha ha ha!!! Spot on

over a year ago

Agree, serious body builders are very rarely athletes. Athletes may use weights for strength and conditioning but their strength lies in cardo vascular exercise.

If we're going to get technical, athletes in throwing events (hammer, javelin, discus, shot put) do not require significant cardiovascular fitness. They compete in the sporting events we call "athletics" - the field bit of track & field. Short distance sprinters don't need much cardiovascular fitness either, but good luck telling Mr Bolt and friends that they aren't athletes."

The track and field is still athletics though. The Olympics is an Olympic competition

over a year ago

North West

If we're going to get technical, athletes in throwing events (hammer, javelin, discus, shot put) do not require significant cardiovascular fitness. They compete in the sporting events we call "athletics" - the field bit of track & field. Short distance sprinters don't need much cardiovascular fitness either, but good luck telling Mr Bolt and friends that they aren't athletes.

The track and field is still athletics though. The Olympics is an Olympic competition "

Correct they are, but my point is many athletes in the throwing events would not pass the Fab athletic body type test, which seems to imply a ripped physique. The point is, actual athletes come in all shapes and sizes. Athlete isn't a body description.

over a year ago

The track and field is still athletics though. The Olympics is an Olympic competition

Correct they are, but my point is many athletes in the throwing events would not pass the Fab athletic body type test, which seems to imply a ripped physique. The point is, actual athletes come in all shapes and sizes. Athlete isn't a body description."

But, for the sake of the thread, what physic would you expect a “sweeping generalisation” athletic body to be like

over a year ago

North West

Correct they are, but my point is many athletes in the throwing events would not pass the Fab athletic body type test, which seems to imply a ripped physique. The point is, actual athletes come in all shapes and sizes. Athlete isn't a body description.

But, for the sake of the thread, what physic would you expect a “sweeping generalisation” athletic body to be like"

Honestly, I don't look at the descriptors people choose on their profile. I look at the pictures and decide if I'm interested (plus if they sound interesting/intelligent from the blurb). So I personally have no expectation.

over a year ago

But, for the sake of the thread, what physic would you expect a “sweeping generalisation” athletic body to be like

Honestly, I don't look at the descriptors people choose on their profile. I look at the pictures and decide if I'm interested (plus if they sound interesting/intelligent from the blurb). So I personally have no expectation."

Irrelevant. In every day life. If someone said an athlete physic, how would you expect that body to look?

over a year ago

North West

Honestly, I don't look at the descriptors people choose on their profile. I look at the pictures and decide if I'm interested (plus if they sound interesting/intelligent from the blurb). So I personally have no expectation.

Irrelevant. In every day life. If someone said an athlete physic, how would you expect that body to look?"

I'm sorry if I sound evasive, but I don't have any specific expectation. I play competitive sports. I go to the gym with athletes and I used to throw discus and put shot. I know athletes come in a variety of shapes so I genuinely have no pre conceived shape or size.

over a year ago

Irrelevant. In every day life. If someone said an athlete physic, how would you expect that body to look?

I'm sorry if I sound evasive, but I don't have any specific expectation. I play competitive sports. I go to the gym with athletes and I used to throw discus and put shot. I know athletes come in a variety of shapes so I genuinely have no pre conceived shape or size. "

So why comment then

over a year ago

North West

I'm sorry if I sound evasive, but I don't have any specific expectation. I play competitive sports. I go to the gym with athletes and I used to throw discus and put shot. I know athletes come in a variety of shapes so I genuinely have no pre conceived shape or size.

So why comment then "

Because I commented to refute a suggestion by someone else (not you) that all athletes have good cardiovascular fitness. I didn't even comment about body shape....

Post new Message to Thread