Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Aw didn’t mean to offend...sometimes I do

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

If you are prone to this mode of cognition, it might be advisable to have a consultation with an experienced psychotherapist who would you through a new way of thinking, possibly using CBT-Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

In simply terms when you encounter a stressful situation, CBT will train you to have less anxiety and see potential solutions rather than the worst case scenario-a catastrophe.

You may be prone to anxiety because of adverse childhood circumstances or another trauma.

Professional assistance will facilitate a more speedy resolution of this way of thinking.

over a year ago

I’ve not suffered from it, but know several therapies that have worked well, such as the aforementioned CBT, some compassion based therapies and things like that. If you do suffer from it, I’d recommend seeing a GP as a starter, if it is indeed that which troubles you most, and / or it has been diagnosed etc.

Huge array of mental health tools available online, it’s just finding what works for you.

Never underestimate a handful of effective strategies that work for you, alongside a support network that both understands you and helps. Avoid those people and things that make you feel or think worse too.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

To a degree, as a result of my anxiety. If I think of the worst case scenario it means I can put in place a plan for when it happens. If it doesn’t happen then it’s a bonus.

over a year ago

I used to be debilitated by my catastrophising. CBT and ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) worked through recognising and breaking counterproductive thought patterns and establishing new healthy ones. It's a lot of work and effort, but totally worth it.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I am at the moment, and it isn't even under stressful situations. Usually when I'm lying in bed at night reading.

I use grounding and distraction techniques to stop. It takes practice, but I get there eventually.

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

"Does anyone else suffer from this?

I suffer badly with catastrophising.

"

I have suffered with this for over 20 years I have had cbt therapy so I’ve learnt ways to deal with it which might also help you.I’ve suffered a little set back this last year but it’s been a tough year for everyone.Have a look online as there’s lots of advice that could help you and get in touch with your Gp .

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I used to be debilitated by my catastrophising. CBT and ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) worked through recognising and breaking counterproductive thought patterns and establishing new healthy ones. It's a lot of work and effort, but totally worth it."

Sorry to hear that and thanks for replying

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"If you are prone to this mode of cognition, it might be advisable to have a consultation with an experienced psychotherapist who would you through a new way of thinking, possibly using CBT-Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

In simply terms when you encounter a stressful situation, CBT will train you to have less anxiety and see potential solutions rather than the worst case scenario-a catastrophe.

You may be prone to anxiety because of adverse childhood circumstances or another trauma.

Professional assistance will facilitate a more speedy resolution of this way of thinking."

Thanks for comments

Post new Message to Thread