Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Books!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I love reading myself, and love to find new books and enjoy talking to others who have the same interest.

So my question is...

What are you reading right now and what book that you have read would you recommend?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aomilatteCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

Swingers by Barry Calvert (club owner), very entertaining

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Just finished book 5 of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower, now onto book 6

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Haven't read much for a while, I'd highly recommend Catch 22 to anyone that hasn't read it, the white spider is great for those who live non fiction climbing books

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

The Foundation Myth by Andrew Seidel. It looks at Christian nationalism in the US and argues that it is unamerican.

By *ljamMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I like to have a fiction and a non-fiction on the go at any one time. Fiction-wise I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Non-fiction I've just finished Junky by William Burroughs, now getting through The Land Where the Blues Began by Alan Lomax

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

The midnight library by Matt Haig.

Don’t ask

over a year ago

Into Japanese culture. Favourite book that I read ages ago was Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

By *rFeelsGoodMan
over a year ago

Swansea

Been working my way through the Cormac McCarthy canon. Border trilogy was fantastic.

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

John Steinbeck's Travels with my Aunt. Short, quirky, classy, and lots of drugs.

By *lasphemousGirlWoman
over a year ago

Cambs

Currently reading a lot of Terry Pratchett,

over a year ago

Currently listening to 'about last night'

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I like to have a fiction and a non-fiction on the go at any one time. Fiction-wise I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Non-fiction I've just finished Junky by William Burroughs, now getting through The Land Where the Blues Began by Alan Lomax"

The Master and Margarita is on my pile of books to be read - how're you finding it?

over a year ago

"The midnight library by Matt Haig.

Don’t ask"

Also recommend this... Made me bawl my eyes out.

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

The Possibility of an Island by Michel Houellebecq

over a year ago

Just started Feline Philosophy by John Gray

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Currently reading Steve McQueen (actor) bio. Recommend the Roy Grace book series by Peter James.

By *ljamMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I like to have a fiction and a non-fiction on the go at any one time. Fiction-wise I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Non-fiction I've just finished Junky by William Burroughs, now getting through The Land Where the Blues Began by Alan Lomax

The Master and Margarita is on my pile of books to be read - how're you finding it?"

I'm not too far in but so far it's superb. Got that classic Russian literary flair for great characters, and wildly imaginative. Already feeling it'll become a favourite.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"Currently reading a lot of Terry Pratchett, "

Oh you're in for a treat, read them all, it's an entire world he invited

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I like to have a fiction and a non-fiction on the go at any one time. Fiction-wise I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Non-fiction I've just finished Junky by William Burroughs, now getting through The Land Where the Blues Began by Alan Lomax

The Master and Margarita is on my pile of books to be read - how're you finding it?

I'm not too far in but so far it's superb. Got that classic Russian literary flair for great characters, and wildly imaginative. Already feeling it'll become a favourite."

Fantastic, I think it'll be the next one I read!

By *apiomanMan
over a year ago

Shipley

I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It was good but couldn’t beat The Secret History

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"The midnight library by Matt Haig.

Don’t ask"

Soz

over a year ago

"I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It was good but couldn’t beat The Secret History "

I so want to read this, started it, but ran out off time (borrowed frim the Vicar's wife) Beautiful writing

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

(Mr) currently into Russian classics, top tip is to start with the short story by Gogol, the Cloak, then move onto the weightier tomes.

There’s a lot of criticism of the Constance Garnett translations of Russian literature, but frankly if you are more used to a propulsive story they are the best way to get into it.

Crime and Punishment is my favourite and maybe not what you’d expect.

By *aturing bullMan
over a year ago

TOOTING

"I love reading myself, and love to find new books and enjoy talking to others who have the same interest.

So my question is...

What are you reading right now and what book that you have read would you recommend?"

Reading the first George Smiley book “Call for the dead” by John le Carre. Interesting to see the beginning of this famous character

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Quite a fair few readers on here then

All titles are noted and be going on my list of to be read

over a year ago

Reading Miracle Morning at the moment ! And I think it’s going to change my life

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

Shopping and Fucking again, play by Mark Ravenhill

By *ike5678Man
over a year ago

LONDON

Couple next door by shari lapena is a page turner!

Also the girl with the dragon tattoo series.

If non fiction is more your thing: sapiens is incredible, also the spirit level

over a year ago

Be water , my friend . The true teachings of Bruce lee by Shannon lee.

It expands on lees philosophy , although not one of those self help type books I have found parts of it useful through lockdown and the pandemic.

By *00KissesCouple
over a year ago

Stourbridge

Lynda la plant, dirty dozen.

Enjoyed it.

Also bries submission series.

2 totally different genres.

over a year ago

Inside the NHS in a Time of Pandemic - Dr Rachel Clarke. Sounds incredibly bleak, but it's not, it's incredibly inspiring. Basically, an inside account of medical profession during covid.

over a year ago

Currently reading Dark Mountain by Richard Laymon.. don't know that I'd recommend it especially. But I'd definitely recommend the author works, if you enjoy horror he's your man. And very prolific.

By *eliciousladyWoman
over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

I usually alternate between thrillers/mysteries and light hearted romance.

Currently finishing Digital Fortress - Dan Brown, am really into it.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I’m reading Churchill’s history of world war 2.

By *ljamMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"(Mr) currently into Russian classics, top tip is to start with the short story by Gogol, the Cloak, then move onto the weightier tomes.

There’s a lot of criticism of the Constance Garnett translations of Russian literature, but frankly if you are more used to a propulsive story they are the best way to get into it.

Crime and Punishment is my favourite and maybe not what you’d expect."

Gogol's Dead Souls is fantastic

over a year ago

"I love reading myself, and love to find new books and enjoy talking to others who have the same interest.

So my question is...

What are you reading right now and what book that you have read would you recommend?"

The beach and the shack both great reads

By *rFeelsGoodMan
over a year ago

Swansea

"Be water , my friend . The true teachings of Bruce lee by Shannon lee.

It expands on lees philosophy , although not one of those self help type books I have found parts of it useful through lockdown and the pandemic. "

Yesss! Love a martial arts philosophy cross! I've read a lot on bushido and find it fascinating. I find a lot of comfort in the idea that through self improvement we can better the world around us and Eastern thinking frames the sentiment far better than Western.

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I'm reading stay close by Harlan coben

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

I'm reading the 6th book of the Steve Alten Meg series.

I'd recommend the Stephen Leather Jack Nightingale books.

over a year ago

Recently I started to read JD Robb In Death series. On book 4 now.

I’ve also read Ian Fleming’s Jams Bond novels, best in the order they were published, very entertaining.

over a year ago

The last person who called me sweet pea ended up dead by C J Skuse

And rereading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It was good but couldn’t beat The Secret History

I so want to read this, started it, but ran out off time (borrowed frim the Vicar's wife) Beautiful writing "

I love the Secret History, it's one of my favourite novels. I found the Litte Friend really peculiar so approached the Goldfinch with some trepidation.

It was OK (well written and involving enough), but I wasn't sure whether it was YA fiction, it just felt all a bit clichéd and lacked the subtlety of the Secret History.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"(Mr) currently into Russian classics, top tip is to start with the short story by Gogol, the Cloak, then move onto the weightier tomes.

Crime and Punishment is my favourite and maybe not what you’d expect.

Gogol's Dead Souls is fantastic"

"But... They are dead??? "

It's very funny yes

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

Long Road t Mercy - David Baldacci.

Love his crime books.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

Currently reading Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom series, just started book 3.

By *ino70Man
over a year ago

Telford

"Currently reading a lot of Terry Pratchett, "

Just thinking of starting The sheppards crown which i have been putting off since his death but then again as it been awhile since I been in discworld maybe should re-read from beginning first...

over a year ago

Plodding through Midnight Library.. its hard because it feels like I read the same thought s many times before. I don't find it original. And main character is annoying.

over a year ago

Still working my way through Starbuck chronicles bernhard Cornwall bit geeky American civil war

over a year ago

Still got battle flag and copperhead to read

over a year ago

Currently reading - The Breakthrough- Daphne du Maurier

Favourite reads - The New York Trilogy- Paul Auster

Kid napped - Robert Louis Stevenson

Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m going to read wuthering heights next time I’m on leave, am fascinated by it. My favourite novel is Bliss by Peter Carey , tend to read more autobiography than novels, started somebody to love (Freddy Mercury) but it’s too sad.

over a year ago

"Just finished book 5 of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower, now onto book 6"
yep read that one took bloody ages to read

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I’m going to read wuthering heights next time I’m on leave, am fascinated by it. My favourite novel is Bliss by Peter Carey , tend to read more autobiography than novels, started somebody to love (Freddy Mercury) but it’s too sad."

Wuthering Heights is the only novel I read at school where I hated every single character. Every time anyone died I did a little cheer!

By *Cocksucker84Man
over a year ago

newcastle

"I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It was good but couldn’t beat The Secret History

I so want to read this, started it, but ran out off time (borrowed frim the Vicar's wife) Beautiful writing

I love the Secret History, it's one of my favourite novels. I found the Litte Friend really peculiar so approached the Goldfinch with some trepidation.

It was OK (well written and involving enough), but I wasn't sure whether it was YA fiction, it just felt all a bit clichéd and lacked the subtlety of the Secret History."

I loved The Secret History. The Little Friend I struggled with and found messy but there are beautiful passages in it. The Christmas scene before the death of the little boy is particularly beautiful, and I loved the relationships between the three older sisters. I kind of felt like the real story was in their dynamic rather than the murder mystery. There seems to be two camps with The Goldfinch- those who disliked and those who absolutely loved. Though it probably could have done with another edit I'm definitely in the latter camp. Overall I love Donna Tartt as a writer and cannot wait to see what we get next.

My two favourite reads this year have been Douglas Stuart's Shuggie Bain and Hanya Yanagihara's A Little Life. Both are very emotional but A Little Life made me sob. Something I've never done before. Not an easy read but beautiful all the same.

Post new Message to Thread