Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Customer is always right

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was working the other day and one of my colleagues caught shoplifter and he basically told her to empty her pockets because he knew full well that she was stealing stuff she put on the counter 2 chocolate bars, mouthwash a packet of polos and a packet of crisps she turned around and said they're not from here they're from another store so he let her go

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Could he prove they weren't? Did they have cctv of them taking it?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

This upset me man. They must be pretty desperate to steal those.

over a year ago

evesham

"This upset me man. They must be pretty desperate to steal those. "

To be fair I shoplifted when I was at school. I wasn't desperate, it was just a thrill thing. I also shoplifted sweets and drinks etc. Nothing major.

Then my dad found out

By *aver999Couple
over a year ago

East Mids

"I was working the other day and one of my colleagues caught shoplifter and he basically told her to empty her pockets because he knew full well that she was stealing stuff she put on the counter 2 chocolate bars, mouthwash a packet of polos and a packet of crisps she turned around and said they're not from here they're from another store so he let her go "

A strange combination of items to shoplift, nothing high value to sell on unless you have customers who love to stuff their face on chocolate and crisps, and finish off with a minty mouthwash

over a year ago

"This upset me man. They must be pretty desperate to steal those.

To be fair I shoplifted when I was at school. I wasn't desperate, it was just a thrill thing. I also shoplifted sweets and drinks etc. Nothing major.

Then my dad found out "

I get children shoplifting. But it's upsetting if it's because they are so poor. I am a softie I know.

By *adbutsanecoupleCouple
over a year ago

Calne

I used to own a shop and I saw a guy shove a Cornish Pasty down his joggers when I challenged him he denied it so I just pulled his joggers down around his ankles so he was stood in the shop in his boxers with a pasty bulge. His face was a picture ??

over a year ago

evesham

Then my dad found out

I get children shoplifting. But it's upsetting if it's because they are so poor. I am a softie I know."

We don't know how old the person in the OP was or their financial situation. Sometimes people just steal.

over a year ago

"I used to own a shop and I saw a guy shove a Cornish Pasty down his joggers when I challenged him he denied it so I just pulled his joggers down around his ankles so he was stood in the shop in his boxers with a pasty bulge. His face was a picture ??"

Did he report you for sexual assault?

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"This upset me man. They must be pretty desperate to steal those. "

Not always the case, but I know what you mean.

Where I grew up, kids used to steal things purely because they could and/or they didn't want to spend their own money.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I used to own a shop and I saw a guy shove a Cornish Pasty down his joggers when I challenged him he denied it so I just pulled his joggers down around his ankles so he was stood in the shop in his boxers with a pasty bulge. His face was a picture ??"

That could be the death knell of the sky remote comparison picture..

over a year ago

Like hell thry are there right until there wrong

By *ermite12ukMan
over a year ago

Solihull and Brentwood

"I used to own a shop and I saw a guy shove a Cornish Pasty down his joggers when I challenged him he denied it so I just pulled his joggers down around his ankles so he was stood in the shop in his boxers with a pasty bulge. His face was a picture ??

Did he report you for sexual assault?"

Maybe he wanted a warm pasty?

By *entlemenpipMan
over a year ago

not far

bravo

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I was working the other day and one of my colleagues caught shoplifter and he basically told her to empty her pockets because he knew full well that she was stealing stuff she put on the counter 2 chocolate bars, mouthwash a packet of polos and a packet of crisps she turned around and said they're not from here they're from another store so he let her go "

Mouthwash and polos? I’m guessing the crisps were cheese and onion

over a year ago

"... she turned around and said they're not from here they're from another store so he let her go"

Suspicious agreed, but even if the police were called they could not prove the person didn't own the items legitimately. Your colleague was quite right not to detain this person - there'd have been trouble.

By *ickychef1Man
over a year ago

Greenford

In Dubai you get a hands chopped of for shoplifting

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

People shoplifter weird things. I was at my brother's till in Aldi when he was asked to come and deal with a potential shoplifter. The guy had taken two large jars of coffee off the Special Buys section... Large joints of meat and alcohol are the most popular items to steal, both apparently to sell rather than consume. It's very sad indeed and my brother (being a big guy and often in charge of the shop) treads a fine line, knowing he's supposed to be ensuring zero losses...

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

"In Dubai you get a hands chopped of for shoplifting "

I believe it's just one hand..so they then have to eat and wipe there arse with the same hand..

over a year ago

Then my dad found out "

Yeah we did the same as kids, mainly when we go camping and get d*unk and cause havoc around the village. Two of my friends at the time actually got into an arguement in a COOP about who was going to steal some Sausage Rolls

over a year ago

"People shoplifter weird things. I was at my brother's till in Aldi when he was asked to come and deal with a potential shoplifter. The guy had taken two large jars of coffee off the Special Buys section... Large joints of meat and alcohol are the most popular items to steal, both apparently to sell rather than consume. It's very sad indeed and my brother (being a big guy and often in charge of the shop) treads a fine line, knowing he's supposed to be ensuring zero losses..."

You can never ensure 0 lossses in retail though. Shrinkage is costed into the equation

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"People shoplifter weird things. I was at my brother's till in Aldi when he was asked to come and deal with a potential shoplifter. The guy had taken two large jars of coffee off the Special Buys section... Large joints of meat and alcohol are the most popular items to steal, both apparently to sell rather than consume. It's very sad indeed and my brother (being a big guy and often in charge of the shop) treads a fine line, knowing he's supposed to be ensuring zero losses...

You can never ensure 0 lossses in retail though. Shrinkage is costed into the equation"

Indeed, but I can assure you Aldi take a very dim view of unchallenged shoplifting and they employ minimal to no security. Store managers and assistant/deputy managers are expected to intervene unless evidently unsafe.

over a year ago

That sounds hilarious

over a year ago

I went to Mexican restaurant once where there was a big neon over the door.

The customer is always wrong !

over a year ago

"People shoplifter weird things. I was at my brother's till in Aldi when he was asked to come and deal with a potential shoplifter. The guy had taken two large jars of coffee off the Special Buys section... Large joints of meat and alcohol are the most popular items to steal, both apparently to sell rather than consume. It's very sad indeed and my brother (being a big guy and often in charge of the shop) treads a fine line, knowing he's supposed to be ensuring zero losses...

You can never ensure 0 lossses in retail though. Shrinkage is costed into the equation"

this randomly popped into my head the other day actually - places like topshop that have been bought by online only brands - they wont just save on not having stores and staff , they also save on stock loss too surely wether staff theft or customers

over a year ago

If this is true I'm thinking you're lucky you didn't end up with assault charges.

over a year ago

You can never ensure 0 lossses in retail though. Shrinkage is costed into the equation

this randomly popped into my head the other day actually - places like topshop that have been bought by online only brands - they wont just save on not having stores and staff , they also save on stock loss too surely wether staff theft or customers "

Yep, there probably is still some degree of loss in the warehouse. But yeah it will be saving them money same with not having to pay rent on bricks and mortar shops

Just i very much doubt that saving will be passed onto the consumer really. Bit like when Computer Games started to sold on online stores, Publishers no longer have to pay for the disks/boxes/artwork but still put prices up slowly to the point where a new game now can cost arround £60+ on consoles even if its digital while also destroying the preowned/trade in bussiness in the process

By *innocentMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

I would like a jacket with pockets big enough for to hold a bottle of mouth wash, for my phone is huge and I have to carry it in my hand everywhere.

By *ickychef1Man
over a year ago

Greenford

"In Dubai you get a hands chopped of for shoplifting

I believe it's just one hand..so they then have to eat and wipe there arse with the same hand.."

oh shit....I'd use a spoon to eat lol or better still dont shop lift.....as long as it's the left hand as my kebab prefers my right hand lol

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

When I worked in retail, you couldn't apprehend somebody unless you saw them taking it, seen where they were hiding it on their person and then you couldn't stop them until they were out of the door with no attempt to pay for it.

You had all the proof needed. This was in the days before cctv and the police would actually come around and arrest the suspects.

A small news item in the local paper about a shop lifter being in court and charged always lessened the offences happening for a few weeks after.

over a year ago

Calne

"I used to own a shop and I saw a guy shove a Cornish Pasty down his joggers when I challenged him he denied it so I just pulled his joggers down around his ankles so he was stood in the shop in his boxers with a pasty bulge. His face was a picture ??

If this is true I'm thinking you're lucky you didn't end up with assault charges. "

I owned shops and petrol stations for 25 years, I had vast amounts of money invested and worked 7 days a week to provide for my family and to be able to pay 50 odd people there wages and lost thousands of pounds to thieving scum.

Over that time I was stabbed once, threatened with a needle, run over by a car and held up at gun point. So I didn’t give a shit about the poor darlings feelings or rights they are thieving scumbags and believe me I did much worse to some of them than pulling their joggers down.

By *usty kayWoman
over a year ago

Burnham

I went through a spate of shoplifting when I was a teen. I once stole a Cadbury’s cream egg from a little newsagent type shop. When we walked outside there was a group of girls waiting for a friend of mine so we ran back into the shop and the couple who owned it were so lovely. They let us stay there and called my friends parents to pick her up. I’ve never felt so guilty for anything in my life so I put the egg back. I’m sure he saw me put it back but he never said anything.

Sometimes kindness works better than brutality

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/04/21 09:11:01]

over a year ago

Customers are rarely 100% right

It's how you deal with it that matters, both as a company and as a representative of that company

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

If this is true I'm thinking you're lucky you didn't end up with assault charges. "

Agreed! First rule dealing with shoplifters, YOU don't touch them, let them touch you first, then you can take action.

Equally, you have to see them take the goods, follow them at every step they to ensure they don't place the goods elsewhere in the shop, until they reach an exit point and have passed every till or payment place, then you have every right to stop and question them.

Searching must be done in private, not in public areas.

OP, if on my watch in past store security teams, for that action, you'd have been fired that day. There are rules for dealing with shoplifters, even if you don't like them, and Police will take your actions into account too.

Yes, I have been threatened by some brandishing weapons including syringes filled with god knows what liquids, spat at and subsequently tested in hospital, or physically assaulted, but I behaved correctly due to my training regardless of the provocation. I was lucky in that store staff could be at my side within seconds in support.

But shoplifters have rights too, odd as it may sound. Get it wrong, they might end up getting off free of charges.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

this randomly popped into my head the other day actually - places like topshop that have been bought by online only brands - they wont just save on not having stores and staff , they also save on stock loss too surely wether staff theft or customers "

I dunno, online retailers must spend a fortune replacing stuff nicked from peoples doorsteps. Not to mention the items thieving scrotes deny was delivered.

over a year ago

Calne

If this is true I'm thinking you're lucky you didn't end up with assault charges.

Agreed! First rule dealing with shoplifters, YOU don't touch them, let them touch you first, then you can take action.

Equally, you have to see them take the goods, follow them at every step they to ensure they don't place the goods elsewhere in the shop, until they reach an exit point and have passed every till or payment place, then you have every right to stop and question them.

Searching must be done in private, not in public areas.

OP, if on my watch in past store security teams, for that action, you'd have been fired that day. There are rules for dealing with shoplifters, even if you don't like them, and Police will take your actions into account too.

Yes, I have been threatened by some brandishing weapons including syringes filled with god knows what liquids, spat at and subsequently tested in hospital, or physically assaulted, but I behaved correctly due to my training regardless of the provocation. I was lucky in that store staff could be at my side within seconds in support.

But shoplifters have rights too, odd as it may sound. Get it wrong, they might end up getting off free of charges."

I owned the shops so couldn’t get fired. In my shops shoplifters had no rights, anyone complaining to the police my cctv was out of operation at that time ??

over a year ago

I worked in security at a big dublin shopping center when I was younger.

I seen all different types of shoplifters.

Some were lifting for laughs, some for desperation and some because they could.

Proving that someone shoplifted is really hard. You can't just accuse people because they can make complaints against you and the company you work for. Its messy.

I never had to deal with the actual lifters luckily. I definitely relate more to them than the shops

By *wo4FemCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

Hope that you didn't put it back on the shelf.

Mr2

over a year ago

Calne

Hope that you didn't put it back on the shelf.

Mr2 "

Well it was wrapped lol ??

Post new Message to Thread