Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any Tips?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone got any good tips on how to ease the hot flushes during the menopause? I have tried evening primrose oil capsules which was recommended by my doctor as an alternative to HRT and been using capsules for just over 3 months but they don't seem to be having any affect whatsoever. I don't really want to go on HRT if I can help it, but the way I am feeling at the moment I am more than tempted, the heat is unbelievable. I would say that I am incredibly lucky in that this is my only symptom. Can anyone recommend anything else that I could try to relieve this heat? Thank you.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Apparently Sage, yoga and deep breathing!

over a year ago

Thank you. Is that any particular type of yoghurt/sage?

over a year ago

Ooops I thought you said yoghurt lol

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

My Mum did thai chi (apologies if spelt wrong) and she said that helped her sweats and moods, even after trying hrt.

Good luck and hoe you find something that works for you.

over a year ago

Thank you Lulu (that's my cat's name too), I do find that they are less the more active I am but I was just hoping to find something I could take.

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

"Thank you Lulu (that's my cat's name too), I do find that they are less the more active I am but I was just hoping to find something I could take."

Meoooow (best cat impression I could do, sorry!)

Have you tried speaking to someone in holland & barrat or a health shop/chinese health place, dont know if they'd be any use but may be worth a go

over a year ago

I will give it a go, thanks.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

You can go to a herbalist and they will mix you something up, strangley my main symptoms are night sweats, thats why ive just got back up

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

Jack Daniel's

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I find a pint of Guinness works well, 5 or 7 even better !!! Whoops sorry for being flippant

over a year ago

Asparagus...?

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

i went into an early menopause at 40,and sorry to say i still get night sweats and hot flushes(im now 56)only now and then,i find red wine sets them off

i went onto HRT it worked realy well for me,not for everybody i know

over a year ago

Thank you everyone. Thanks Lacey, I really wanted to avoid HRT if I could because of the health implications and I had heard that once you stop taking it you go back to having the hot flushes again.

I am going to try all of these suggestions here lol, one of them might work!!!

over a year ago

I never expected any suggestions from men, but then on the other hand .............!!! lol

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I had horrendous hot flushes when I went throught the menapause, horrible mood swings. I was a complete bitch

Went on HRT took it for about 2 years and weened myself of it. Touch wood no symptoms came back

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

when I get a bad attack of hot flushes, usually about 4am, my man will go and sit in his car with the aircon blasting then get back into bed nice and cold !

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've read that black cohosh or red clover helps but just because a remedy is "herbal" or "alternative" doesn't mean it doesn't have side effects too, these things have massive warnings against them also.Lots of people also recommend soya.

I know people who've tried all three of these with varying degrees of success.

Hope you find something that works, in the meantime always make sure you have a bottle of water, don't wear man made fibres and carry a small fan.

over a year ago

"Has anyone got any good tips on how to ease the hot flushes during the menopause? I have tried evening primrose oil capsules which was recommended by my doctor as an alternative to HRT and been using capsules for just over 3 months but they don't seem to be having any affect whatsoever. I don't really want to go on HRT if I can help it, but the way I am feeling at the moment I am more than tempted, the heat is unbelievable. I would say that I am incredibly lucky in that this is my only symptom. Can anyone recommend anything else that I could try to relieve this heat? Thank you."

I send you a PM (asit has some web links)

Hope it helps

over a year ago

"when I get a bad attack of hot flushes, usually about 4am, my man will go and sit in his car with the aircon blasting then get back into bed nice and cold ! "

aww that's really nice

over a year ago

"Has anyone got any good tips on how to ease the hot flushes during the menopause? I have tried evening primrose oil capsules which was recommended by my doctor as an alternative to HRT and been using capsules for just over 3 months but they don't seem to be having any affect whatsoever. I don't really want to go on HRT if I can help it, but the way I am feeling at the moment I am more than tempted, the heat is unbelievable. I would say that I am incredibly lucky in that this is my only symptom. Can anyone recommend anything else that I could try to relieve this heat? Thank you.

I send you a PM (asit has some web links)

Hope it helps

"

Thank you.

over a year ago

"I've read that black cohosh or red clover helps but just because a remedy is "herbal" or "alternative" doesn't mean it doesn't have side effects too, these things have massive warnings against them also.Lots of people also recommend soya.

I know people who've tried all three of these with varying degrees of success.

Hope you find something that works, in the meantime always make sure you have a bottle of water, don't wear man made fibres and carry a small fan. "

Thank you for this advice. I have a huge stand alone fan which does help. Will try the water too and clothing.

Post new Message to Thread