Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Oh dear time for a new hard drive

Jump to newest

By *G Lana OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

Drat, just started up the pc only to have chkdsk cut in and identify masses of problems. Thankfully it doesn't look like it's affecting anything to critical yet but definitely time to run another back up and get a new disk.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Go to Novatech I got a 2TB HD for less than 80 quid brand new and suggest you back up to DVD or external drive before it goes and you lose everything

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"Drat, just started up the pc only to have chkdsk cut in and identify masses of problems. Thankfully it doesn't look like it's affecting anything to critical yet but definitely time to run another back up and get a new disk."

I used to get that a lot. 5 years later the old warhorse is still running (touch wood!)

By *G Lana OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

Back up is covered as I run a separate network storage drive, just needed to update files from the last week. I normally use Novatech for parts but thanks for the tip though.

Given that the laptop is four years old and struggles with some of the photo editing I do I am contemplating just replacing it.

By *aldybiMan
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"Back up is covered as I run a separate network storage drive, just needed to update files from the last week. I normally use Novatech for parts but thanks for the tip though.

Given that the laptop is four years old and struggles with some of the photo editing I do I am contemplating just replacing it."

Time to bite the bullet and buy a Mac

over a year ago

I'd go for a solid state drive over a traditional hard drive any day of the week even if it's just for your operating system.

Solid state drives

over a year ago

"Back up is covered as I run a separate network storage drive, just needed to update files from the last week. I normally use Novatech for parts but thanks for the tip though.

Given that the laptop is four years old and struggles with some of the photo editing I do I am contemplating just replacing it."

By *aldybiMan
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"I'd go for a solid state drive over a traditional hard drive any day of the week even if it's just for your operating system.

Solid state drives "

I've just fitted a 750GB Seagate HDD/Flash Hybrid to my 3 year old MB Pro for £108 - try finding a 512GB SSD for less than 4x that!

Photo-editing in Aperture is now a delight once more and it's knocked 30s off the boot time!

As always, it's horses for courses, and at present the capacity/price ratio of SSD has yet to hit a sweet-spot for anyone without the deepest of pockets.

I agree a small one is cheap enough and useful for the OS, but how many twin-disk laptops do you know of? My old Alienware aside... (c:

over a year ago

"I'd go for a solid state drive over a traditional hard drive any day of the week even if it's just for your operating system.

Solid state drives

I've just fitted a 750GB Seagate HDD/Flash Hybrid to my 3 year old MB Pro for £108 - try finding a 512GB SSD for less than 4x that!

Photo-editing in Aperture is now a delight once more and it's knocked 30s off the boot time!

As always, it's horses for courses, and at present the capacity/price ratio of SSD has yet to hit a sweet-spot for anyone without the deepest of pockets.

I agree a small one is cheap enough and useful for the OS, but how many twin-disk laptops do you know of? My old Alienware aside... (c:"

Solid state drives will stay really pricey until they fully replace normal hard drives and as they have no moving parts thats why they are so expensive ( the downside being if they fuck up thats it game over lol ) But generally they are very reliable just too dam pricey lol !!!

By *aldybiMan
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

" as they have no moving parts thats why they are so expensive ( the downside being if they fuck up thats it game over lol ) But generally they are very reliable just too dam pricey lol !!! "

High price is due to reduced availability of NAND chips. As supply increases to approach demand we can expect prices to plummet - it's the LAW!

Realistically, a hardware failure on a magnetic HDD is just as catastrophic - ever heard a "proper" disk crash?

Backups always save the day - frequent, verified, stored off-site... Just my professional opinion, of course!

over a year ago

" as they have no moving parts thats why they are so expensive ( the downside being if they fuck up thats it game over lol ) But generally they are very reliable just too dam pricey lol !!!

High price is due to reduced availability of NAND chips. As supply increases to approach demand we can expect prices to plummet - it's the LAW!

Realistically, a hardware failure on a magnetic HDD is just as catastrophic - ever heard a "proper" disk crash?

Backups always save the day - frequent, verified, stored off-site... Just my professional opinion, of course! "

Hence why i run my OS on one HD and store everything on another lol

Post new Message to Thread