Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Expelled Badminton players?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Case: 8 players from 4 teams who were already through to the next round played to lose in order to gain easier opposition in the next round. They have also stated that they didn't make the rallies too long to conserve their energy for later matches, with the support of their respective coaches.

What they did was not against the rules of Badminton (as I understand them) and that it is due to the fact that the World Badminton Federation has adopted a round-robin style approach to tournament play that enables opponents to not play as well as they could in certain matches. All these girls have done is use the new rules to leverage themselves easier matches later.

Should they have been kicked out?

(the four teams were all ladies teams, 1 from China, 1 from Indonesia and 2 from South Korea)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The problem is the format of the tournament.

over a year ago

One of the rules of badminton is that 'one must use ones best efforts to win a match'. There's also another clause in the rulebook about not bringing the sport into disrepute.

They did break the rules.

over a year ago

If it wasn't round robin I.e you lose you're out, then there would be no question of trying your best.

over a year ago

"One of the rules of badminton is that 'one must use ones best efforts to win a match'. There's also another clause in the rulebook about not bringing the sport into disrepute.

They did break the rules. "

exactly. my sentiments entirely.

i think they also sign a declaration to abide by the laws and the spirit of the games when they apply to compete.

ok. some will say they worked the format of the tournamentand it has been seen in many arenas of sport, like big teams resting key players in things like champions league stages final games etc, but this was a blatant attempt to lose, not to 'conserve energy' as they claimed.

most of the spectators were knowledgable badminton fans and they saw through it very quickly and it just isnt fair. some of those tickets were expensive and people paid a lot of money in travel, hotels etc to be there and they were the ones that were cheated.

i for one agree they made the right decison to kick them out... there will always be opportunity for people to fix results to suit, in any sport where there is a group format such as this, but as sportsmen they should abide by the spirit and give their best at all times.

and if they were British my opinion would be the same and i would be ashamed of them.

over a year ago

"If it wasn't round robin I.e you lose you're out, then there would be no question of trying your best. "

but there are loads of sports that have group stages or round robins and the vast majortiy of competitiors still always play to win.

this came about because they wanted an easier passage to the final which is cheating. if they were good enough to win, it woudnt matter if they played the stong opponents in round 2 or the final.

over a year ago

"If it wasn't round robin I.e you lose you're out, then there would be no question of trying your best.

but there are loads of sports that have group stages or round robins and the vast majortiy of competitiors still always play to win.

this came about because they wanted an easier passage to the final which is cheating. if they were good enough to win, it woudnt matter if they played the stong opponents in round 2 or the final.

"

Yes but it also happens football and other tournaments. How many times have we seen teams play for the draw as that's all they need to progress, and not get the tough draw.

That format allows for the opportunity to try and influence results to your advantage.

over a year ago

".

exactly. my sentiments entirely.

i think they also sign a declaration to abide by the laws and the spirit of the games when they apply to compete.

ok. some will say they worked the format of the tournamentand it has been seen in many arenas of sport, like big teams resting key players in things like champions league stages final games etc, but this was a blatant attempt to lose, not to 'conserve energy' as they claimed.

most of the spectators were knowledgable badminton fans and they saw through it very quickly and it just isnt fair. some of those tickets were expensive and people paid a lot of money in travel, hotels etc to be there and they were the ones that were cheated.

i for one agree they made the right decison to kick them out... there will always be opportunity for people to fix results to suit, in any sport where there is a group format such as this, but as sportsmen they should abide by the spirit and give their best at all times.

and if they were British my opinion would be the same and i would be ashamed of them."

Very well said

over a year ago

"If it wasn't round robin I.e you lose you're out, then there would be no question of trying your best.

Yes but it also happens football and other tournaments. How many times have we seen teams play for the draw as that's all they need to progress, and not get the tough draw.

That format allows for the opportunity to try and influence results to your advantage. "

thats true, but other than a straight knockout sytem for all sports the opportunity will sometimes crop up. over many years it has been deemed by the governing bodies that group stages within tournaments mean that in most cases the best of that sport end up winning over the duration of the tourmament. it is up to the competitors to abide by the rules and the spirit of the game to give their best. any sport is nothing without the spectators and they are entitled to see people do their best.

the format is fine as long as they all do that and if they dont, then punish them.

i am a wolves fan and my club were fined by the FA for fielding an under strength team in a match we knew we had litte chance of winning so punishment does happen and so it should.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"One of the rules of badminton is that 'one must use ones best efforts to win a match'. There's also another clause in the rulebook about not bringing the sport into disrepute.

They did break the rules. "

Irrespective of which country a sportsman represents - if they break rules they should expect to be punished.

over a year ago

Forget the format of the competition, they broke the one unwritten 'rule' and that is Sportsmanship... Nothing to do with what sex they are, nothing to do with what country they represent.. Playing 'to lose' is not part of sport, and if that is the avenue they chose to go down then they have no right to represent their country or the sport they are playing... I just with the FA would take this course of action on board and allow referees to send players off for abusing them or other players... Ok, we would be left with three men on the pitch after 90 minutes but we have to start installing respect some how

over a year ago

In it to win it.

If not then dont join in !!!!!!!

Post new Message to Thread