Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Badminton Scandal

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

so.......naughty badminton teams from South Korea, China and Indonesia have been disqulified from the tournement following deliberately losing games to get an easy draw.

What are our thoughts on this?

Yes it goes against the nature of the tournament....striving to do your bast againt any opponent etc but inreality how different is that to swimmers slacking off the pace in heats to give them an easy ride?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Why would swimmers slack off? They need a good time to get through.

over a year ago

evesham

they do do it, ok its risky but it happens

phelps himself only scraped by in one of the opening heats because he didnt go fast enough

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Any athlete who doesn't give their all on purpose should be booted out.

over a year ago

some of the GB team tweeted to say it was just playing strategically.

over a year ago

easing off and saving energy is tactics.deliberately losing points and throwing a game is cheating

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"they do do it, ok its risky but it happens

phelps himself only scraped by in one of the opening heats because he didnt go fast enough"

That might not be slacking off though. If one other person had gone faster he wouldn't have qualified.

Bit different from trying to lose on purpose.

over a year ago

evesham

"easing off and saving energy is tactics.deliberately losing points and throwing a game is cheating"

but it wasnt to further their opponents chances, it was to give them a tactical advantage by having an easier draw in the next round

over a year ago

I think its effectively match fixing is it not? and therefore they should be booted out

The public shouldn't have to pay for expensive tickets just to see someone hitting the shuttlecock into the net

over a year ago

"easing off and saving energy is tactics.deliberately losing points and throwing a game is cheating

but it wasnt to further their opponents chances, it was to give them a tactical advantage by having an easier draw in the next round"

it was to avoid the other chinese pair in the quarter finals. thus ensuring the chinese would win a medal.its cheating. i've no doubt the 'right' chinese pair wouls have won the quarter final too.by cheating again

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

"I think its effectively match fixing is it not? and therefore they should be booted out

The public shouldn't have to pay for expensive tickets just to see someone hitting the shuttlecock into the net "

Exactly! it was shocking at how obvious they were, I'm glad they were all disqualified

over a year ago

sorry,meant by the chinese losing they could only meet the other chinese in the final

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the irony of this all is that it only happened because the chinese world champs, who were trying their best... got beat in a shock upset....

and then everyone tried their best to get out of that half of the draw by losing.....

now the world champs path has been cleared....

there is a difference between effectively throwing a game, and saving energy for the next round...

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

The thing is that no matter how the swimmers paced themselves to conserve energy you and I would never beat them.

But the fact that everyone in the badminton games was trying to loose points it ended up that if they'd picked spectators from the crowd they would have played a better game!

It looked like those kids who really don't want to do games who half heartedly just tap the shuttlecock and don't even move their feet!

over a year ago

What the problem here is, is the format of the tournament.

If it were straight knockout, rather than grips followed by knockout you wouldn't get that situation.

The format allows you to an extent dictate how you progress. The same goes with any game in this format.

over a year ago

"so.......naughty badminton teams from South Korea, China and Indonesia have been disqulified from the tournement following deliberately losing games to get an easy draw.

Yes it goes against the nature of the tournament....striving to do your bast againt any opponent etc but inreality how different is that to swimmers slacking off the pace in heats to give them an easy ride?"

. What do you expect from those country's? Very sly

over a year ago

It was utterly scandalous. I'm pleased that the offending teams have been disqualified but the BWF really needs to impose some sanctions on the coaches too who in my opinion, were the culprits.

over a year ago

" What do you expect from those country's? Very sly"

??????????

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"What do you expect from those country's? Very sly"

over a year ago

"What do you expect from those country's? Very sly"

Offensive.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I am not sure I am comfortable with that statement

over a year ago

"so.......naughty badminton teams from South Korea, China and Indonesia have been disqulified from the tournement following deliberately losing games to get an easy draw.

Yes it goes against the nature of the tournament....striving to do your bast againt any opponent etc but inreality how different is that to swimmers slacking off the pace in heats to give them an easy ride?"

Hang them from the pips from the net I say

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

bit uncalled for and without any foundation..

By *dinMan
over a year ago

Nr Biggleswade

Send a bloody gun boat to scare them cant have johny foreigner coming over here spoiling everyones fun...Wheres nurse with my drink?...Bahhhh!

over a year ago

Not seen it but from what I hear they weren't too subtle about it.

It's nothing new to edge the draw to your advantage, but to clearly throw it, stupidity alone deserves their disqualification.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What do you expect from those country's? Very sly

Offensive. "

it could be... however in this case china's record in badminton tournys isn't the best...... there is back story

this from the guardian

"There have previously been concerns about Chinese badminton officials deciding in advance who should win when players from the country meet in tournaments. The online magazine Badzine published figures in December 2011 showing that of the 99 all-Chinese matches played in the year's major tournaments, 20 were walkovers or ended in a retirement."

it would have very much have been a coaches call on this..... and notice that the chinese were the one nation not to appeal at all...

the indonesians started an appeal but withdrew it...

the koreans had their appeal rejected....

what they do in other sports to combat this is to allow the top seeds to choose their next opponents... and maybe this is the way ahead

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"What do you expect from those country's? Very sly

Offensive. "

Is it?

It might be, but it might not be..... depends what is meant behind it.

Post new Message to Thread