devon

Any tips cause I’ve never been but would like too

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Any tips cause I’ve never been but would like too"

Research.

Never enter a body of water without knowing about it.

Check Facebook for local groups that can recommend safe please to swim.

Never swim alone , always have a spotter on land if possible.

What's your open water swimming experience?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Looks like you are Devon based, perhaps research some local groups and consider sea swims to start with? Better to start with support initially, as another poster has mentioned.

Open water starts in April up here, just embrace the cold

over a year ago

Are you near Plymouth OP?

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

"Any tips cause I’ve never been but would like too

Research.

What's your open water swimming experience?"

This a thousand times this. Lots of beaches look fine but like my local beach could be hiding dangerous rip tides ect.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

We sea swim as a group as there are not many lakes that are suitable to swim in, most are used for fishing and they would be very cross if we rocked up.

An ambition is to do wild swimming at the lake district this year

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Op just be aware of water temperature, very dangerous if you are not used to it.

Lake's particularly deep one's can actually be colder than the sea as it's a standing body of water with little current to heat it up.

I absolutely love open water swimming and find pool swimming very boring.

If you cannot find a wild swimming group maybe a local triathlon club as they cater for all abilities and usually well organised.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Sent you a link

Join a group and don't swim alone, plenty of locations in Devon.

If you're going to go year round learn about warming up, water temperatures etc (you can't just jump in)

The sea is a whole new ball game with tides etc to learn about.

It's a friendly community though so you'll get the help you need

over a year ago

Sent you a link

If you're going to go year round learn about warming up, water temperatures etc (you can't just jump in)

It's a friendly community though so you'll get the help you need "

I know a few groups in Plymouth

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Sent you a link

It's a friendly community though so you'll get the help you need "

Definitely,sea swimming is dangerous if you are new.

Get a wetsuit to start.

I usually swim in a wetsuit until July/August then without until end of September when tide's and sea temperature changes.

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

Wild swimming? Is that jumping in water and frailing yr arms and legs like yr drowning?

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"Wild swimming? Is that jumping in water and frailing yr arms and legs like yr drowning? "

Yes on a January morning and you've broken ice to get in

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Sent you a link

It's a friendly community though so you'll get the help you need

I know a few groups in Plymouth "

Awesome, I've swum from the little cove below the cafe (just along from the outdoor pool)

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Sounds crazy but try getting your body used to cold showers and I know a few people who dip in cold water bins (empty the rubbish first) or even kids paddling pools.

Ps it might be that you're a summer months swimmer only, you don't have to go 12 months of the year.

over a year ago

I wild swim (through winter, too) but never swim alone. If you're intending to start now, try using the Wim Hof method of cold showering to get your body used to the cold water. Do your research!!! Loads of local wild swimming groups on Facebook with info on how, where, etc.

Know your limits. Today, I should manage 15 mins as the water temp is warmer. A month ago, 8 mins was plenty and I knew from the tingle it was time to get out.

Be aware of cold water drop.

over a year ago

The wild swimming app is a good way to hunt down locations and there are a couple of great guide books to spots in the uk.

But as others have said, dont go alone unless you're very comfortable with that particular water way (even then I would avoid it, plus it's a sociable thing), beware of currents if its tidal and be cautious of water temperatures. A lot depends on how aclimatised you are to it but I tend to look at about 1 minute per degree of the water as a good rule of thumb

over a year ago

" Today, I should manage 15 mins as the water temp is warmer. A month ago, 8 mins was plenty and I knew from the tingle it was time to get out.

Be aware of cold water drop. "

Are you wearing a wetsuit or just a cozzie? I am getting about 25 mins in a wetsuit, but my feet are numb well before that. It's a tidal area on the mouth of the Irish Sea. Not sure if the salt content and currents help or hinder swim length?

By *onguesandpunsMan
over a year ago

East Midlands

If you're on Facebook there's loads of wild swimming groups across the country, many of which have started as a direct result of lockdown closing public swimming pools.

Definitely consider getting some swimming shoes for protecting your feet on stoney shores. Lidl often sell them for under a fiver.

over a year ago

" Today, I should manage 15 mins as the water temp is warmer. A month ago, 8 mins was plenty and I knew from the tingle it was time to get out.

Be aware of cold water drop.

Are you wearing a wetsuit or just a cozzie? I am getting about 25 mins in a wetsuit, but my feet are numb well before that. It's a tidal area on the mouth of the Irish Sea. Not sure if the salt content and currents help or hinder swim length?"

Just a costume and a hat, no gloves. My hands are my "tell"... I know when to get out by how they feel.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Out cycling last week I passed some in an old open cast site. They swam with floating indicators so you could always see them.

over a year ago

"Out cycling last week I passed some in an old open cast site. They swam with floating indicators so you could always see them. "

Probably the same place I swim, J. I dont have a float.. I'm a large enough mass in the water not to miss me.

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Advice on open water wetsuits would be appreciated, just looking to buy one to extend my swimming time in Windermere, I normally just wear a bikini in the lake but think it will be a little to chilly in April for that

over a year ago

"Advice on open water wetsuits would be appreciated, just looking to buy one to extend my swimming time in Windermere, I normally just wear a bikini in the lake but think it will be a little to chilly in April for that "

I have a zone 3 aspire triathlon wetsuit, because it has a decent shoulder movement range for triathlon. I think there are far cheaper options if you are looking for non sport use.

over a year ago

"

Just a costume and a hat, no gloves. My hands are my "tell"... I know when to get out by how they feel. "

Hardcore lady, I am nesh I'd wear a jumper if I could

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Advice on open water wetsuits would be appreciated, just looking to buy one to extend my swimming time in Windermere, I normally just wear a bikini in the lake but think it will be a little to chilly in April for that "

Avoid cheap ones and avoid shorties designed for windsurfing.

I'll be honest unless you know what size you are you may need to try one on, they need to be tight. Like skin tight.

Any baggy folds will cause issues with water getting trapped also and folds can cause chaffing.

Have a look on wiggle they do some decent suit's.

I got a cheap orca one a couple of years ago to replace my mega expensive one that I can't get into anymore.

As I'm not racing anymore I don't need an all singing and dancing one.

I know decathlon do some quite cheap but no idea on the quantity.

I wouldn't personally consider anything under £100

But that's just me.

Also invest in some body glide silicon lube for around neck and armpits particularly around neck as it can rub you red raw and worse with sea water.

Don't be tempted to use vasaline it will destroy the suit.

Practice getting it on read the instructions and maybe YouTube a tutorial last thing you want is to put a finger nail through the rubber first time on.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Advice on open water wetsuits would be appreciated, just looking to buy one to extend my swimming time in Windermere, I normally just wear a bikini in the lake but think it will be a little to chilly in April for that

Avoid cheap ones and avoid shorties designed for windsurfing.

I'll be honest unless you know what size you are you may need to try one on, they need to be tight. Like skin tight.

Any baggy folds will cause issues with water getting trapped also and folds can cause chaffing.

Have a look on wiggle they do some decent suit's.

I got a cheap orca one a couple of years ago to replace my mega expensive one that I can't get into anymore.

As I'm not racing anymore I don't need an all singing and dancing one.

I know decathlon do some quite cheap but no idea on the quantity.

I wouldn't personally consider anything under £100

But that's just me.

Also invest in some body glide silicon lube for around neck and armpits particularly around neck as it can rub you red raw and worse with sea water.

Don't be tempted to use vasaline it will destroy the suit.

Practice getting it on read the instructions and maybe YouTube a tutorial last thing you want is to put a finger nail through the rubber first time on."

Also I find when first getting in the water with it on I pull neck forward and scoop water in( it's forking cold) then work the water around chest and arms not only does it help the suit fit better also your body warms the water up and creates a heated barrier between yourself and the cold.

over a year ago

Giggling a bit here ... lots of people down here just sea swim every single day of the year (storms aside) in nothing but a swimming cozzie!

By *akedduo66Couple
over a year ago

Near Bordon

And the most important tip..

A wooly hat and cake and coffee for when you get out.

We skinny but invested in a Dryrobe each.

over a year ago

"And the most important tip..

A wooly hat and cake and coffee for when you get out.

We skinny but invested in a Dryrobe each. "

^^^ this totally! After swim essentials

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

"Giggling a bit here ... lots of people down here just sea swim every single day of the year (storms aside) in nothing but a swimming cozzie! "

Bit different than swimming in Windermere though which is 220ft deep with snow melt

over a year ago

If an outdoor dip is called wild swimming is lawn mowing wild hoovering ?

Thanks in advance X

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

"Advice on open water wetsuits would be appreciated, just looking to buy one to extend my swimming time in Windermere, I normally just wear a bikini in the lake but think it will be a little to chilly in April for that

I have a zone 3 aspire triathlon wetsuit, because it has a decent shoulder movement range for triathlon. I think there are far cheaper options if you are looking for non sport use."

I looked at this one, It’s just going to be leisure swimming but I don’t like the feel of being restricted.

over a year ago

"Giggling a bit here ... lots of people down here just sea swim every single day of the year (storms aside) in nothing but a swimming cozzie!

Bit different than swimming in Windermere though which is 220ft deep with snow melt "

Very much so! Also outside temperatures here are usually quite mild!

over a year ago

We have swam in the sea during the Winter, everything goes numb but you feel fantastic for the rest of the day. Important to make sure you have warm clothes you can quickly get into when you come ouy of the sea / lake

By *etanoiaWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I would love to get onto this, I’ve joined some groups and currently researching

By *ubberclubberMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I've got all the stuff, live right by the sea just need some company/supervision at some point so I've joined to local Facebook groups.

By *hil12 OP   Man
over a year ago

devon

"I've got all the stuff, live right by the sea just need some company/supervision at some point so I've joined to local Facebook groups."

What all the stuff ?

By *hil12 OP   Man
over a year ago

devon

I been wild swimming couple times now but in a wet suit is that being a chicken?lol

By *kyblue1878Couple
over a year ago

Southport

Just had this morning cancelled due to the high winds. Putting it off until tomorrow morning (late morning tidal).

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

What all the stuff ?"

Goose grease

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Research.

Good advice above. Cold water shock is a killer, take care.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"I been wild swimming couple times now but in a wet suit is that being a chicken?lol"

More of a seal unless your wetsuit has feathers

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"I been wild swimming couple times now but in a wet suit is that being a chicken?lol"

Make sure you don't try to cross from north Devon to Tenby because there's a walrus over there that might try to mate with you if you look like a female walrus in your wet suit

By *ED00Woman
over a year ago

South Devon... Torbaydos

I started in January and love it. I did a lot or reading first and joined Open Water swimming uk site on Facebook who have loads of hints and tips I've been this morning at 7am and I'm still warming up lol

By *hil12 OP   Man
over a year ago

devon

"I been wild swimming couple times now but in a wet suit is that being a chicken?lol

More of a seal unless your wetsuit has feathers "

Lol

By *hil12 OP   Man
over a year ago

devon

"I started in January and love it. I did a lot or reading first and joined Open Water swimming uk site on Facebook who have loads of hints and tips I've been this morning at 7am and I'm still warming up lol "

In the sea ? Just ur swim suit ?

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"I've got all the stuff, live right by the sea just need some company/supervision at some point so I've joined to local Facebook groups."

Give me a shout in a few weeks buddy happy to go for a splash.

By *ED00Woman
over a year ago

South Devon... Torbaydos

I started in Feb in the sea and love it. I go in the sea. The worst part is walking in and the sea hitting your bits !!! And when you get out trying to get dried and stay warm. I always take a lemonade bottle with hot water in it and when I get out I pour it over me just to warm me up. Boots and gloves help and when you go in wiggle your hands in the water as you walk on it helps to regulate your temp.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m not a big wild swimmer but a wild camper, mostly winter in mountains, and we will often do naked wild swims in freezing cold lakes the following morning.

It’s hard to describe until you do it but it makes you feel very alive , charged for several days after and hot, your skins literally burns and glows when you come out standing in snow and ice, not shivering abs rushing to get dressed as you’d expect, but basking and needing to cool down

For this kind of swim , don’t go alone , stay close to the shore not too deep and practice in autumn before going into freezing water as there’s a risk of heart attack

By *lueEyesEnigmaMan
over a year ago

Dublin

Research.

There are Meet up groups too. Be very cautious of tides, currents rocks.

I have seen too many accidents.

By *anae21Woman
over a year ago

Nearer than you think

"

It’s hard to describe until you do it but it makes you feel very alive , charged for several days after and hot, your skins literally burns and glows when you come out standing in snow and ice, not shivering abs rushing to get dressed as you’d expect, but basking and needing to cool down

For this kind of swim , don’t go alone , stay close to the shore not too deep and practice in autumn before going into freezing water as there’s a risk of heart attack "

Agree! I liken it to drinking four consecutive espressos... buzzing with adrenalin! The water temperature now feels almost balmy compared to the Jan/Feb ice swims.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Huge fan and coasteering

Post new Message to Thread