Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

organ donors

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was talking to someone recently and they were almost repulsed by the thourght of having there body parts used for organ donation..I did tell them that you did have to be dead first...I don't mind they can have what they like off me when I'm gone...anyone else feel the same....ok its not a cheery subject but its better than talking about mind numbing shit like eastenders surely..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I was talking to someone recently and they were almost repulsed by the thourght of having there body parts used for organ donation..I did tell them that you did have to be dead first...I don't mind they can have what they like off me when I'm gone...anyone else feel the same....ok its not a cheery subject but its better than talking about mind numbing shit like eastenders surely.. "

Respect to doners ... Saved my lil brothers life

over a year ago

"I was talking to someone recently and they were almost repulsed by the thourght of having there body parts used for organ donation..I did tell them that you did have to be dead first...I don't mind they can have what they like off me when I'm gone...anyone else feel the same....ok its not a cheery subject but its better than talking about mind numbing shit like eastenders surely.. "

They can have anything apart from my eyes.

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

have been on the donor register for years, I think it should be compulsory for people to be on it, and should be able to opt out if they don't want to be a donor.

Devil

over a year ago

Well my thinking is im not gonna need it when im dead, so if i could save a life through donating an organ then id gladly do it

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

They can have what they like from me, although I think the liver, kidneys and lungs might be past their best.

I donate blood too. Good excuse for a lie down mid-afternoon.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"have been on the donor register for years, I think it should be compulsory for people to be on it, and should be able to opt out if they don't want to be a donor.

Devil "

Agree totally

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Can have mine too but dont think the recipient would be too happy they would probably worse than what they swapped for

over a year ago

Met a lovely lady on here who goes all over the place campaigning on this very subject, she lost one of her children and because of allowing the organs to be donated saved several lives. A very brave decision, by a very brave lady. Don't know at that particular time if I could have made the same decision.

over a year ago

I've been on the organ donor register since my twenties.

They can have what they want off me when I'm gone. I'm not going to need it am I?

Mind it's all going to be worn out and useless to them soon!

over a year ago

To be able to give someone the gift of life after Im gone is a lovely thought.

And if anything should happen to my children then Id want to do the same thing however hard it would be at the time. Life is very precious.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

They can have whatever they like, my son has told me the same. its not going to be much use to me

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

been on the register for years,but my Brother has first dibs on one of my kidneys

over a year ago

they can have all mine if they want them.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

dont mean to throw a spanner in the works guys but as someone who has donated a family memebers parts i can tell u it is not pleasant .. they firstly ask u to watch the operation .. and u have to wait while a doctor from london flies in ... one from ireland flies in .. etc etc as the doctor who takes the organ out has to put the organ back in ... its a very traumatic and time consuming event .. at ur darkest moment !! .. in the end .. someone .. with a modicum of sense from the donor organisation offered to watch the 12 hour operation on our behalf !

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Not sure what they can have of mine as I am a smoker and I drink.. But whatever they can get their hands on and is ok then great.. However not my eyes I am a great believer that your eyes are the window to your soul.. call me bonkers but its what I believe...

over a year ago

i lost my son when he was young and i donated his body parts

A lot of people in my family thought i did the wrong thing but to me if he could save the life of another child or maybe even two or three is life wasnt wasted, some cant cope with the thought of having a loved one cut up but i coped better knowing a bit of him was still living on

Its a very personal choice and theres no right or wrong i just felt it was the right thing for me to do and i have no regrets

As for me, they can take what they like why leave your body to rot or burn if you can help someone else

over a year ago

They can take anything of me, like a beer though so my liver might not be tip top. I'd like to give blood too but mine is shite apparently with me being anaemic

over a year ago

"i lost my son when he was young and i donated his body parts

A lot of people in my family thought i did the wrong thing but to me if he could save the life of another child or maybe even two or three is life wasnt wasted, some cant cope with the thought of having a loved one cut up but i coped better knowing a bit of him was still living on

Its a very personal choice and theres no right or wrong i just felt it was the right thing for me to do and i have no regrets

As for me, they can take what they like why leave your body to rot or burn if you can help someone else"

Very brave decision on your part xx

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

As for me, they can take what they like why leave your body to rot or burn if you can help someone else"

fully understand ur decision .. we got a very nice letter of williams F1 team as it was one of their engineers who benefited from our gesture ..meant alot as the guy was young with alot to live for

over a year ago

they can take what they want from me when im gone, its not any good to me is it?

By *inkyScot22Man
over a year ago

Anniesland

I've always wondered what happens when someone who's got a donor organ... gets a donor card... will it wear out or will my heart go on... and on...?

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

You're awesome.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

"I've always wondered what happens when someone who's got a donor organ... gets a donor card... will it wear out or will my heart go on... and on...?"

ur spirit lives on !

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I'm on the doner register, have told my family (even if you're on the register your next of kin has final say and could refuse) I'm also on the bone marrow register too - thats one to consider as well.

I try to give blood, but I have low.blood pressure so they can't always take the full pint so its only any use for lab use not for surgeries.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

the hospital we donated to told us they get 3 donations a year on average so donor cards dont work as families can override ur decisions ..donor card or not

over a year ago

NN, I simply cannot articulate how I feel about this, such a beautiful blessing to many at what must have been such a difficult time for you xx

over a year ago

As for me, they can take what they like why leave your body to rot or burn if you can help someone else

fully understand ur decision .. we got a very nice letter of williams F1 team as it was one of their engineers who benefited from our gesture ..meant alot as the guy was young with alot to live for "

over a year ago

I am on the donor list plus a regular blood donor too x body is just a shell when you die x

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I been all signed up for long time ..,

over a year ago

They're honestly welcome to any part of me that they feel is serviceable when I die. Sadly I don't think there's going to be many parts of me that are

over a year ago

I've been on the bone marrow list for 26yrs now, I used to give blood until they told me they didn't want it coz I have MS, and as far as my organs are concerned, I am on the donor list, but I've been told that it will be down to the discretion of the intended recipient as to whether they are prepared to receive my organs. Surely, to have the heart from someone who has MS (which is a condition of the nervous system) has to be better than dying because you refused it, but hey, if someone wants my bits after I'm gone, they are there for the taking, as are those of any member of my family too.

I have always been an advocate of an "Opting Out" system rather than "Opting In", especially as even if you've opten in, your family can override your choice. I have had it marked on all my medical records, hospital, gp, etc, to say that my organs are there for the taking and that my decision is final, although I suppose I'm lucky in that my family have assured me that they would support my decision if asked.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I've had a donor card for years but finally registered online t'other week and posted the link on my Facebook page and some of my friends have now registered....my family also know my wishes so hopefully shouldn't over-ride them when the time comes

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Regarding the blood donor thing I did for yrs but from what I gather if you live this sort of lifestyle you would not be accepted as a blood donor?

over a year ago

"the hospital we donated to told us they get 3 donations a year on average so donor cards dont work as families can override ur decisions ..donor card or not"

That's why I think it should be opt out, not opt in. It drives me mad to think that I have carried a donor card for years, then when the time comes a member of my family could override my wishes.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"I've had a donor card for years but finally registered online t'other week and posted the link on my Facebook page and some of my friends have now registered....my family also know my wishes so hopefully shouldn't over-ride them when the time comes "

If my family over-rides my wishes I'll come back and haunt 'em!

over a year ago

fully understand ur decision .. we got a very nice letter of williams F1 team as it was one of their engineers who benefited from our gesture ..meant alot as the guy was young with alot to live for "

i never got any feed back after i got my sons body back, but i ask them not to, not because i didnt care but because i wasnt sure how id feel if i ever came face to face with someone who had a part of my child in them

I know that may sound odd but after they had taken what they needed i didnt want anymore to do with it, i just wanted to bury my child and get on with my life as i had another two children, i had my own memories and i was happy leaving it at that

If that makes sence

I guess we all deal with grief in our own way

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"dont mean to throw a spanner in the works guys but as someone who has donated a family memebers parts i can tell u it is not pleasant .. they firstly ask u to watch the operation .. and u have to wait while a doctor from london flies in ... one from ireland flies in .. etc etc as the doctor who takes the organ out has to put the organ back in ... its a very traumatic and time consuming event .. at ur darkest moment !! .. in the end .. someone .. with a modicum of sense from the donor organisation offered to watch the 12 hour operation on our behalf ! "

Is this true? You have to watch them take the organ?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

and

over a year ago

fully understand ur decision .. we got a very nice letter of williams F1 team as it was one of their engineers who benefited from our gesture ..meant alot as the guy was young with alot to live for

i never got any feed back after i got my sons body back, but i ask them not to, not because i didnt care but because i wasnt sure how id feel if i ever came face to face with someone who had a part of my child in them

I know that may sound odd but after they had taken what they needed i didnt want anymore to do with it, i just wanted to bury my child and get on with my life as i had another two children, i had my own memories and i was happy leaving it at that

If that makes sence

I guess we all deal with grief in our own way "

You're amazing. Hugs xxxx

over a year ago

"dont mean to throw a spanner in the works guys but as someone who has donated a family memebers parts i can tell u it is not pleasant .. they firstly ask u to watch the operation .. and u have to wait while a doctor from london flies in ... one from ireland flies in .. etc etc as the doctor who takes the organ out has to put the organ back in ... its a very traumatic and time consuming event .. at ur darkest moment !! .. in the end .. someone .. with a modicum of sense from the donor organisation offered to watch the 12 hour operation on our behalf !

Is this true? You have to watch them take the organ?"

i have to be honest i was never asked such a thing

After i agreed to donate the next i heard was when they realised my child back to me for burial

it was never even suggested to me that i should watch them

maybe different areas or hospitals do things differently i dont know

By *aldybiMan
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

A lot of people in my family thought i did the wrong thing but to me if he could save the life of another child or maybe even two or three is life wasnt wasted, some cant cope with the thought of having a loved one cut up but i coped better knowing a bit of him was still living on"

Wow! Enormously brave decision in the toughest of times, and deepest respect to you. X

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

"have been on the donor register for years, I think it should be compulsory for people to be on it, and should be able to opt out if they don't want to be a donor.

Devil "

i agree with this, however, i would still not be art of it.

By *ue care and attentionWoman
over a year ago

birmingham

"dont mean to throw a spanner in the works guys but as someone who has donated a family memebers parts i can tell u it is not pleasant .. they firstly ask u to watch the operation .. and u have to wait while a doctor from london flies in ... one from ireland flies in .. etc etc as the doctor who takes the organ out has to put the organ back in ... its a very traumatic and time consuming event .. at ur darkest moment !! .. in the end .. someone .. with a modicum of sense from the donor organisation offered to watch the 12 hour operation on our behalf ! "

Not calling you a liar but this sounds incredulous. Why on earth would a traumatised family be asked to watch their loved one dissected? For what purpose? Also, how can the second part be true when the donated organs can be blue lighted or even flown miles to the recipient? I've never seen the doctor on the back of the motorbike transporting the organ?

over a year ago

"dont mean to throw a spanner in the works guys but as someone who has donated a family memebers parts i can tell u it is not pleasant .. they firstly ask u to watch the operation .. and u have to wait while a doctor from london flies in ... one from ireland flies in .. etc etc as the doctor who takes the organ out has to put the organ back in ... its a very traumatic and time consuming event .. at ur darkest moment !! .. in the end .. someone .. with a modicum of sense from the donor organisation offered to watch the 12 hour operation on our behalf !

Is this true? You have to watch them take the organ?"

In 'some' hospitals they give you the option to watch the operation, but not in all. I understand it is so that families who are concerned their deceased will simply be 'butchered' (sorry to have to use that term to some of the posters) can see that the donors body is treated in exactly the same way as the recipients.

I have never heard of anyone being asked , or - worse - told, to watch the operation being carried out. Personally I wouldn't....

By *ue care and attentionWoman
over a year ago

birmingham

In 'some' hospitals they give you the option to watch the operation, but not in all. I understand it is so that families who are concerned their deceased will simply be 'butchered' (sorry to have to use that term to some of the posters) can see that the donors body is treated in exactly the same way as the recipients.

I have never heard of anyone being asked , or - worse - told, to watch the operation being carried out. Personally I wouldn't....

"

Can't see them getting many offers if that was part of the conditions

over a year ago

Can't see them getting many offers if that was part of the conditions"

Quite.........

over a year ago

i am a registered organ donor and have been for many years, i have four gorgeous kids and have spoken at length with their dad (no longer together) about what we would do if anything happened to them an we agreed that if it gave another child or person the chance of life then we would take it.

as for watching the operations that is a matter of choice and should never have been tried to have been forced on you and is not something i ever witnessed during my nursing career, although i have been present at organ retrieval and donation and it truly is an awe inspiring experience.

fair play to everyone who wishes to donate their organs and to those who dont it is purely a matter of choice.

over a year ago

"I've been on the bone marrow list for 26yrs now, I used to give blood until they told me they didn't want it coz I have MS, and as far as my organs are concerned, I am on the donor list, but I've been told that it will be down to the discretion of the intended recipient as to whether they are prepared to receive my organs. Surely, to have the heart from someone who has MS (which is a condition of the nervous system) has to be better than dying because you refused it, but hey, if someone wants my bits after I'm gone, they are there for the taking, as are those of any member of my family too.

I have always been an advocate of an "Opting Out" system rather than "Opting In", especially as even if you've opten in, your family can override your choice. I have had it marked on all my medical records, hospital, gp, etc, to say that my organs are there for the taking and that my decision is final, although I suppose I'm lucky in that my family have assured me that they would support my decision if asked."

I'm in a similar position to you as I also have MS. I'm interested they told you it was down to the discretion of the intended recipient as I was told my organs would/could not be used for transplant purposes. I'm glad they are now not ruling it out completely.

Post new Message to Thread