Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sertraline

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi guys Iv been suffering anxiety and depression the lockdowns hasn’t helped the doctor has put me on sertraline has anyone els taken these and did it mess with your sex life personal I know

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

I think one of the side effects is knocking your libido, although depression can do that too.

Your GP or NHS111 is probably a more informed place than random perverts on the internet

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Me and sertraline ain't friends, well, they did a great job of knocking me out for a month but I had a full force breakdown and was probably what I needed in all honesty to give my brain the sleep it needed so I suppose they worked well in that respect.

I changed to citalopram which were better for me in my opinion.

As for sex drive, it's hard to tell coz mine legs it when I'm in the clutches of a depression anyway, but it can be quite a common side effect.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Taken it in the past and it worked really well for me. It did stop me from orgasming though.

I believe that is a common side effect, yet from being on a support group for the drug, many say their libido was effected but they could still achieve orgasm, but it took longer.

Hope it helps you, bad mental health is the worst x

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

Two days ago a friend she mentioned about these two medications , and she mentioned about how bad efect they can bring

over a year ago

I've been on sertraline for a year now. Was 100mg now down to 50mg. I can't say I've noticed any change in my libido since we've been in lockdown and can't do anything anyway

It certainly has helped my depression and anxiety (combined with a few other changes) hope it helps you too

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Gave me a horrible feeling of disassociation which extended to my penis. Whilst hardness wasn’t an issue cumming in a timely fashion was. Took chuffing ages.

Was a summer of Tinder and Fab as well so got really frustrating. Came off cold Turkey in the end (do not do this!!)

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I would suggest you speak to a GP or healthcare professional since this drug affects different people in different ways

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"I would suggest you speak to a GP or healthcare professional since this drug affects different people in different ways"

By *hilledGuerillaMan
over a year ago

In the monkey house

I’ve used sertraline and citalopram (at different times) and found that while both didn’t have an affect on my libido I took longer to achieve orgasm. To a certain extent not a bad side effect.

over a year ago

Firstly OP well done for being open about things.

I have been on Sertraline for a while and I would say that I still crave sex as much as I used too however it is harder for me to cum, that said though, when in the right mood and right people it always happens.

Stay safe and hope things get better for you.

over a year ago

It affects people differently. It had no affect on my libido at all, but my sister said hers disappeared on sertraline. The other side effects were brutal for me. Spaced out, nausea, diarrhoea, weight gain etc. I'm on fluoxetine now which suits me much better. It can take 6-8 weeks to know for sure whether an AD is suited to you as your body will take a while to adjust. If after this time you're still not feeling right it's worth a trip to the gp to talk about altering the dose or trying a different drug altogether.

over a year ago

It was a mess! We didn't get along to keep story short. Saying that, everyone's reaction might be different. How long have you been on them? (Sorry I didn't read all.comments)

By *arbarianzCouple
over a year ago

BARNSTAPLE

Honestly, these threads are complex, because each drug effects YOU differently. one persons anecdotal experience would/could be wildly different to yours.

For e.g on Sertraline, I could NOT cum. I could get hard. but I couldn't bring it home. but that is not the same for everyone :P

All I'm saying is, sadly with these drugs, the Sertralines, venlafaxines, Citalopram etc, you have to just try them and see. and don't give up on them early, they can take 4+ weeks to adjust your system.

I personally managed to kick my tablets AND sleeping pills almost over night but I can't say how or I'll get the mods crying at me :P

over a year ago

I've been on sertraline for years. I only found it affected my ability to orgasm when I was on a very high dose.

Anti-ds are so subjective though, I tried three different ones before I found sertraline which has been a godsend. For others, they found the opposite. Keep an eye on your side effects (if any) and talk to your GP if worried. My doctor said the number one thing they are asked is about how it affects the libido!

over a year ago

"Me and sertraline ain't friends, well, they did a great job of knocking me out for a month but I had a full force breakdown and was probably what I needed in all honesty to give my brain the sleep it needed so I suppose they worked well in that respect.

As for sex drive, it's hard to tell coz mine legs it when I'm in the clutches of a depression anyway, but it can be quite a common side effect. "

I'm on 500mg of Citalopram... whats your strength?

over a year ago

"Me and sertraline ain't friends, well, they did a great job of knocking me out for a month but I had a full force breakdown and was probably what I needed in all honesty to give my brain the sleep it needed so I suppose they worked well in that respect.

As for sex drive, it's hard to tell coz mine legs it when I'm in the clutches of a depression anyway, but it can be quite a common side effect.

I'm on 500mg of Citalopram... whats your strength?"

500mg??

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Hi guys Iv been suffering anxiety and depression the lockdowns hasn’t helped the doctor has put me on sertraline has anyone els taken these and did it mess with your sex life personal I know "

Well done for being proactive and seeking help. Firstly very clearly you can see you aren't alone. I didn't get along with sertraline. It made me feel very spaced out and I didn't like it. But I didn't stick with it. I ended up with citalopram. Which did and didnt affect sex drive...in as much as feeling over whelmed with a depression kind of kills the sex drive anyway and whilst it may be a worry for you, I'd suggest your emotional balance is much more important. I wish you luck with it and as others have said... Your gp is your friend if in any doubts.

By *arbarianzCouple
over a year ago

BARNSTAPLE

Sorry to reply again!

but I've just realised it wasn't Sertraline it was CITALOPRAM where I couldn't finish. Sertraline was fine sexually for me.

over a year ago

"Sorry to reply again!

but I've just realised it wasn't Sertraline it was CITALOPRAM where I couldn't finish. Sertraline was fine sexually for me.

"

I'm the opposite!

over a year ago

Sertraline kills my sex drive.

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"I’ve used sertraline and citalopram (at different times) and found that while both didn’t have an affect on my libido I took longer to achieve orgasm. To a certain extent not a bad side effect. "

Same here just took longer to orgasm

over a year ago

"Hi guys Iv been suffering anxiety and depression the lockdowns hasn’t helped the doctor has put me on sertraline has anyone els taken these and did it mess with your sex life personal I know "

It’s massively different for every individual, so I’m sorry but you just to try and see how it works for you. It’s awful for some and the absolute answer for others! I hope you have a good experience (mine was up and down, didn’t affect my libido though) x

By *aulupforitMan
over a year ago

Corbridge

I found sertraline to be better than others but am on a high dose 300 mg and was hiding behind the sofa and not wanting to go out or answer my calls.

Was going to come off them slowly until lockdown started but not at the minute.

I think of sex in my brain most of the day but do very little about it but other medication and health problems do not help with me either,it takes me a while to cum and sometimes just give up.

You are not alone out there so speak out and reach out.Good Luck and Take Care

By *arbarianzCouple
over a year ago

BARNSTAPLE

Oh yes, I should add.. jokes aside!

IF anyone ever needs help, of course, reach out to professionals, but failing that, anyone is always welcome to message us if they are struggling.. It's something we've dealt with in the past and if you need a non judgemental ear just to listen, we're around.

Don't suffer in silence!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I would suggest you speak to a GP or healthcare professional since this drug affects different people in different ways"

Very much this.

By *r and Mrs 81Couple
over a year ago

Leicester

I'm on citelapram,, I'm not aure its the tablets that affect libido or just your mood in general

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've never had an antidepressant alter my libido, but I've had lots of them do other stuff I couldn't tolerate.

over a year ago

"I think one of the side effects is knocking your libido, although depression can do that too.

Your GP or NHS111 is probably a more informed place than random perverts on the internet "

Sensible words.

over a year ago

I was on 50mg then 100mg a day I think. First prescription dosage for about 2 months and did nothing. Dosage was upped by the GP and it turned me into a zombie for about two weeks then wasn't as bad.

Worst side effects I had was a dodgy stomach and some very livid dreams. I was able to come pretty much as normal, may have just taken a tad longer than before

over a year ago

No idea if it was Sertrailine but my doc put me on a anti depression tablet and it stopped me being able to orgasm so I binned them and went au natural.

Just happened that I read an article stated that this can happen in 50% of the users of such tablets.

See your GP and change your meds op until you find one that works for you and don’t just accept the loss.

T

over a year ago

"Hi guys Iv been suffering anxiety and depression the lockdowns hasn’t helped the doctor has put me on sertraline has anyone els taken these and did it mess with your sex life personal I know

No idea if it was Sertrailine but my doc put me on a anti depression tablet and it stopped me being able to orgasm so I binned them and went au natural.

Just happened that I read an article stated that this can happen in 50% of the users of such tablets.

See your GP and change your meds op until you find one that works for you and don’t just accept the loss.

T"

I would be careful about stopping them cold turkey. Some people experience bad withdrawal. X

over a year ago

"Hi guys Iv been suffering anxiety and depression the lockdowns hasn’t helped the doctor has put me on sertraline has anyone els taken these and did it mess with your sex life personal I know

T

I would be careful about stopping them cold turkey. Some people experience bad withdrawal. X"

Yeah that's what I did, it wasn't particularly nice

By *bearMan
over a year ago

Guildford

I was on sertraline a couple years ago, it really didn't agree with me. It made me nauseated after eating, which is meant to be a temporary side effect, unfortunately for me this wasn't the case. I lost sex drive, my erections were not as hard and it was very hard to climax. After 8 months I spoke to my gp and she put me on citalopram, which was far better.

Hope this helps. Xx

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Sorry to reply again!

"

It's almost 12 months to the day since I stopped taking them. A couple of years on Sertraline, followed by a few months on Citalopram.

I won't miss the side effects, nor the cold turkey symptoms.

I don't seem to get hangovers any more, yay!

Running to the throne, on the hour every hour, has now gone; though I had some mild IBS symptoms (porridge is bad news for me).

ED is still a problem, as I have lost a lot of penile sensitivity to touch and heat. I am not sensitive to hot water from the shower any more on my helmet, but the scrotum is still normal.

I'd have thought normality would have returned by now, alas some switch has not been reset.

over a year ago

Sertraline killed all feeling in my penis, orgasms just did not happen.

Better than citalopram though as that turned me into a gibbering wreck.

Everyone reacts differently though.

over a year ago

Had no noticeable effect on me down below, but sometimes I get the most terrible heartburn shortly after taking it.

over a year ago

I used to take 200mg Sertraline. The only side effects for me were tiredness and dry mouth.

It was very much trial and error with various medications, but Sertraline worked well for me

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

All SSRIs had sexual side effects for me but Sertraline wasn't as bad as Citalopram.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

why are these side effects not mentioned during consultation?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I think one of the side effects is knocking your libido, although depression can do that too.

Your GP or NHS111 is probably a more informed place than random perverts on the internet "

Less of the random

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

I know a girl who takes this and her sex drive is off the wall not so sure how it would affect a man

By *arbarianzCouple
over a year ago

BARNSTAPLE

"why are these side effects not mentioned during consultation?"

The thing you have to remember is, everyones chemistry is different. that is why side effects lists can look so vague.. this thread alone shows it, we've had people who can get it up on X, whilst others can't. people who love X and had nothing but shite with Y etc..

Try the med for at least 6 weeks to give it time to work, and if its doing feck all or having bad side fx head back to the GP or 111

I know its easy to be like 'the NHS is suffering at the mo, don't wanna burden it' but your mental health is some important shit!

Get it well looked after!

And as always, inbox is open if anyone needs to talk 3 not remotely a professional, I barely qualify as a grown up, but I'm a sympathetic ear!

Stay up!

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"why are these side effects not mentioned during consultation?

The thing you have to remember is, everyones chemistry is different. that is why side effects lists can look so vague.. this thread alone shows it, we've had people who can get it up on X, whilst others can't. people who love X and had nothing but shite with Y etc..

Try the med for at least 6 weeks to give it time to work, and if its doing feck all or having bad side fx head back to the GP or 111

I know its easy to be like 'the NHS is suffering at the mo, don't wanna burden it' but your mental health is some important shit!

Get it well looked after!

And as always, inbox is open if anyone needs to talk 3 not remotely a professional, I barely qualify as a grown up, but I'm a sympathetic ear!

Stay up! "

I was promised an increase in energy/reduced lethargy if I went over to Citalopram. I spent years on Sertraline, so I really gave it time to kick in.

As for talking to 111; I was at the MIND office speaking to their staff when had a follow up call from the mental health team member a few minutes later...Their response was "Contact MIND", MIND'S response was contact 111.

So, straddling the line between logic and madness, I said to the caller "I'm at their office now, why don't you speak to them, as they're telling me to chat to you?" and then handed my mobile over.

I didn't get the result I wanted, i.e help. So I left feeling slightly pissed off with being lied to. Asking for help and not getting it just tips me over the edge. I can't risk it, ever.

I am not a ping pong ball, stop it!

As for the meds, I've got half the side effects, but I'm not paying good money to double them. It's enough to drive a sane person mad.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"

Stay up! "

Thanks! and TFF Viagra!

By *landElCouple
over a year ago

Kent

I took this and it disagreed with me badly.. Constantly feeling sick. I then got put on venlafaxine steadily going from 75mg upto 150mg. Took months to come off it. It doesn't cure anxiety or depression it just makes you feel middle of the road about everything. It also makes you feel that way about sex and as a guy.. Made it very difficult to orgasm and not in a fun way! My advice would be.. Seek counselling, perhaps change your diet to include less natural depressants and try to keep active 2 or 3 times a week. Way better then feeling middle of the road about everything. Good luck whatever you decide.

over a year ago

Your GP or NHS111 is probably a more informed place than random perverts on the internet

"

would you advise against people confiding in or talking to their friends and family? i can never understand why people are so dismissive of fab forums as a bunch of random perverts as though enjoying sex diminishes your other human qualities ... we are just normal people afterall

all a doctor can do before he starts taking a new medication is tell him the possible side effects which he could have read on the leaflet anyway

i dont see how hearing from a range of people with anecdotal experience to put your mind at ease that different people will or wont get some / all of the effects is all that harmful ... at the very least he now knows he is not alone and many others on the forum have already given the same medication a go

By *he RingmasterMan
over a year ago

Canford Cliffs

Everyone reacts differently to medication for depression. Some doctors will favour one drug over another.

Ive been on Ecitalopram on and off for 10 years and it works for me. I was advised that it could delay orgasm but I havent really noticed it - plus in one sense its a bonus. A GP once tried to change me to Citalopram but it didn't work at all. Just meant I had to go through the side effects twice while it kicked in.

If you're depressed you possibly feel that going back to the GP is a bad move - nothing wrong with feeding back how you feel and seeing if there are alternatives. Depression treatment is never a 'one size fits all' solution.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

" Depression treatment is never a 'one size fits all' solution. "

That is so true.

By *on-snowedMan
over a year ago

harlow

I'm on fluoxitine, takes 45 mins just for a wank sometimes.

Can be so frustrating.

over a year ago

The only experience I have is that an ex started taking it (work pressure amongst other things) and it didn’t affect her libido, but everybody responds differently (she got dreadful nausea at the beginning). What I did notice was that it took a period of time at the beginning for things to settle to a steady state and she started feeling better.

over a year ago

I was on Sertraline but I changed to Fluoxetine 20mg as Sertraline was totally zoning me out, however both killed my Libido completely. I have just had an increase in my BP tablets and my libido is slowly coming back ( pardon the pun )

I do intend to talk to my doctor at some point this week as I now want to come off them and try to get away from feeling like an emotional zombie, I will however come off them as the doctor prescribes.

By *ustylouWoman
over a year ago

Aylesbury

I was on sertraline last year for about the 4 or 5th time over the years. I hate the stuff. The side effects are awful. The constant nausea is bad enough as well as feeling a bit spaced out. But it kills my sex drive. Makes me very dry. Unable to orgasm for 3 months was as almost as bad as the original problems I had.

In the past I was on citalopram. It left me suicidal.

I'm currently not taking anything and doing ok but ive just completed an online CBT course which has been helpful but again I'm left to cope alone now its ended.

I'm currently awaiting a further assessment with another department and bi polar has been mentioned which I'm sure will open a whole other can of worms.

By *on-snowedMan
over a year ago

harlow

Lusty lou, someone said to me whe I went on them, "you make sure you get the ones good for you"

I had to try 3 different types the first two made me feel sick and like a zombie.

Eventually went on prozac what I'm on now they are much better.

We must be sensitive to them.

As much as the sex bit can be frustrating they do make you feel a lot better . I promise that much.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Citalophram( spelling?)

Knocked me sideways and caused suicidal

Feelings and awful knight terrors.

Stopped taking them about ten years ago.

Recently been put on sertraline and I feel wasted tbh tired all the time and zero energy like the walking dead as for libido think that legged it a few years ago.

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

I'm on 50mg , not seen any noticeable side effects, doesn't seem to have affected my libido in any way, but as been said, we are in restrictions, so not sure till I am able to actually meet

over a year ago

Was on it for 2 weeks but gave me awful gut ache.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

I was on them for a few months and they made me not care which ruined a lot of good things for me.

They also made it harder to cum which was frustrating but didn't change my libido.

I split up with my girlfriend and it took about a month for me to get upset about it and it was me that made rash choice to end it.

I'd say they mostly done more harm than good so now I just cope best I can without them

By *rooperRedMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

They screwed with me as well. I'd get a boner but like it's been said, couldn't finish. Weird AF. So I got off them. Coaching has helped me more, but they got me through a rough patch. Never going back on it though.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

I've been off Citalopram and before that Sertraline. There is no point staying on any med after 3 months or so if your quality of life is getting worse. Have a look at MIND's website and read up on every medication, as they will help to inform you. A GP only has ten minutes to predict how you will react to your newest medication.

I can't give any answers here, but you will need to do the research your self: just make sure that the sites are UK based and are deemed to be trustworthy.

Post new Message to Thread