Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Advice please..home selling

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi folks,

I'm selling my house, and just realized I've been putting it off for weeks because I have no feck'n clue how to go about it

I have chosen the Estate Agent I'm going to use. I have had the house valued by them.

So my questions are...

Does a solicitor still have to be involved?

If so should I be looking for my own solicitor?

Would it be cheaper using my own?

At which point do I involve the solicitor? Do I wait till the house sells?

Would a solicitor want a deposit type thing? or would they wait for the sale?

Thanks in advance

Stressed of Leeds

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

They usually wait till it sells and deduct their fees before handing you the proceeds of sale.

I would choose your own

good luck with the sale, hope it goes great

over a year ago

Thanks View

So... I should find one now then? and give their details to the estate agent??

I'm so crap at this stuff! can feel me blood pressure rising just thinking about it! lol!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Contact a conveyancing company and they will help, its far cheaper that way.

over a year ago

"Contact a conveyancing company and they will help, its far cheaper that way. "

Aaaarghgh not something else in the pot! lol! you trying to give me a heart attack?

Thanks hon, I'll do a google

over a year ago

Wait until you start getting serious interest/offers on your house before you find yourself a solicitor. The property market is very slow at the moment

By *enturianMan
over a year ago

Bideford

Be very wary of estate agents they are just in it to screw you for all they can,, never use a conveyancing agency attached to an estate agent as once the deal is done they start a go slow, they are all only money driven. Are you buying as well?

Also if you play estate agents off against each other you can get their percentage right down.

over a year ago

i would ask what there charges would be befor e i instruct one to act for me..then at the end you have a figure too haggle with when the greedy bastards try to stuff you..also..i would start clearing out your rubbish ready for when you start to pack..try and sit back and just let it all happen..good luck with it..x

By *estless in batterseaCouple
over a year ago

Wandsworth

Yes you need a solicitor and it's best to shop around, estate agents will recommend ones though as they know the solicitors that move the process quickly.

You don't need one until an offer is put in and you accept. Most solicitors do want a deposit up front though and take rest of monies from sale proceeds.

Good luck

over a year ago

Wandsworth

Yes you need a solicitor and it's best to shop around, estate agents will recommend ones though as they know the solicitors that move the process quickly.

You don't need one until an offer is put in and you accept. Most solicitors do want a deposit up front though and take rest of monies from sale proceeds.

Good luck

over a year ago

You have to get a conveyancing lawyer to deal with the financial transactions signing of missives. Accepting the offer and vice versus if you are also buying. So yes have to be involved from pretty much the beginning. Will also need a surveyor to value your home and the estate agent to sell. Fees vary greatly from one company to another. Best to call and get some quotes.

Good luck x

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

When selling your house creative the illusion of more space by sawing off the legs to all of your furniture and employing a dwarf estate agent to show people around.

over a year ago

Wandsworth

We sold a 6 bedroom house in South West London and we did not use a conveyancing company, don't even know what that is... We used Foxtons and completed in quick time.

over a year ago

In the past, I would ask the estate agent handling the property sale to suggest a suitable lawyer.

I would do the same when it is time for me to move on.

Good luck!

over a year ago

"Be very wary of estate agents they are just in it to screw you for all they can,, never use a conveyancing agency attached to an estate agent as once the deal is done they start a go slow, they are all only money driven. Are you buying as well?

Also if you play estate agents off against each other you can get their percentage right down. "

eeerrr.. why would anyone who doesnt get paid until completion, go on a go slow?????? its in their interest to complete asap....

but in response to another poster. try and get a fixed fee agreed beforehand and get it in writing if you can.

lawyers do have a habit of 'adding' things like extra correspondence, phone calls etc

over a year ago

"We sold a 6 bedroom house in South West London and we did not use a conveyancing company, don't even know what that is... We used Foxtons and completed in quick time."

thats because they would have done the conveyancing in house or appointed a lawyer to do it as part of the package.

there will have been a lawyer somewhere in the chain to complete all the legal necessities..

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"We sold a 6 bedroom house in South West London and we did not use a conveyancing company, don't even know what that is... We used Foxtons and completed in quick time."

Foxtons use Ashfords LLP Solicitors for conveyancing

over a year ago

Wandsworth

See so that's why a big player Estate agent is good, they know the best solicitors and package the whole business quick smart!

over a year ago

Wandsworth

"We sold a 6 bedroom house in South West London and we did not use a conveyancing company, don't even know what that is... We used Foxtons and completed in quick time.

thats because they would have done the conveyancing in house or appointed a lawyer to do it as part of the package.

there will have been a lawyer somewhere in the chain to complete all the legal necessities.."

No we got our solicitors, just asked which solicitors they recommend. Used a firm in Brighton, who did it all via email and the odd DHL package as working abroad.

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

once wanted to sell a flat;

other tennants sold theirs before me

used a cheap sols or conveyance comp;

i couldnt sell mine for ages as they

haddnt signd the freehold over.

long story ;dont scrimp

get legal as soon as you have offers

is your house cheap?

i am looking at momment and can afford

downtown baggdad prices

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"See so that's why a big player Estate agent is good, they know the best solicitors and package the whole business quick smart! "

They'll also take a big chunk of money off you in the process!

To the OP, its worth speaking to at least a couple of different estate agents and asking them what their fees are. Don't just pick one at random. If you have a few examples of costs you can you can try and negotiate one of them down a bit.

over a year ago

I sold and bought all my houses privately so saved a fortune.. but just went to my solicitor and they did everything needed

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Im not sure of anyone else has stated this but you can get a fixed fee quote from a solicitor and it depends if there are two properies involved ie you are selling and buying.

The same with the Estate Agents - negotiate a fixed fee with them. Also get it in writing.

Dont take the first price they offer you and shop around. You will find that they tend to give a better deal for exclusive rights as the only agent for the property.

Good luck. x

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

Before you sign anything with the estate agent, make sure you find out how long the sole agency agreement is for (if you are having one). Also, and this is where they get a bit tricky, find out what the notice period is to cancel the sole agency agreement.

Most have a 12 week sole agency agreement that they want you to sign, but then want you to give 14 days written notice to cancel.

I had one estate agent quote me 26 weeks sole agency - and yes I did tell them where to get off.

With regards Solicitors, do some research of local solicitors, what they offer as fixed packages, but you don't have to instruct them until such time as an offer is made and accepted ......... which in today's current market could be a bit of time.

over a year ago

Estate Agents will recommend a solicitor but they are usually on commission so their choice for you may not be the best option.

Shop around and get a few quotes. Fees will depend on the price of your house.

The fees will be paid out of the sale funds, as will your estate agent fees.

By *exybabyMan
over a year ago

Canterbury....ish

Estate Agents are, purely and simply, robbing, lying, two-faced, deceitful, bullshitters that ARE only interested in getting their commission.

They do not care about their clients and always seem to 'employ underhand tactics' that only THEY benefit from.....they are very, very taciturn...

....beware, be careful and be scrupulous.

over a year ago

"Contact a conveyancing company and they will help, its far cheaper that way. "

Best advice here as they are cheaper usually.

Don't wait till you need one get one before lined up and negotiate prices and ask how many they have done before. If poss use recommendations as some are good and some right assholes and drag things out. Time spent now maybe a couple of hours but miles better than a rush job and a headache later.

Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly and you get the price you want.

By *smCouple
over a year ago

Liskeard

"Wait until you start getting serious interest/offers on your house before you find yourself a solicitor. The property market is very slow at the moment "

second that... we have been on the market for over 6 months... so frustrating....

ask friends and relatives to recomand someone.... have a look on martins money advice, lots of great help there for selling and buying.. x

good luck.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"Estate Agents are, purely and simply, robbing, lying, two-faced, deceitful, bullshitters that ARE only interested in getting their commission.

They do not care about their clients and always seem to 'employ underhand tactics' that only THEY benefit from.....they are very, very taciturn...

....beware, be careful and be scrupulous. "

I used to think like that but having just recently moved house my opinion has changed. I liked a property in my street and had my heart set on it. However, the estate agent badgered me to go see another house in the same street that was considerably cheaper. I had ruled it out thinking it wasn't what I wanted but he kept badgering me to _iew it. I gave in just to shut him up, but turned out he was right and the house had a much better layout than the one I was interested in originally. Now, he may have only done this because I chose to sell my house with the same agent hoping that 2 lots of commission would act as an incentive, but regardless of that, he saved me somewhere in the region of £20K... and the house I was interested in originally took forever to sell, whereas this one had a lot of interest so would've sold even if I hadn't bought it.

So, my opinion of estate agents has changed... some are actually not just motivated by money, and they do have their client's best interest at heart.

over a year ago

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great advice, loads of useful stuff here and already feeling less lost and have set things in motion.

Hoping it goes fast at this end as I've seen a couple affordable places that will likely get snapped up!

Cheeeers! xx

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Flicked though posts

My advice would to use a decent solicitor to sort things. What I would do us ask friends, family and at work for who they used and what they thought, not just company but the person too. I have one and over years saved me a same fortune in doing his job right. Good luck and remember a few months of hassle equals a new home at the end.

over a year ago

"Estate Agents are, purely and simply, robbing, lying, two-faced, deceitful, bullshitters that ARE only interested in getting their commission.

....beware, be careful and be scrupulous. "

oohh methinks someone has had a bad experience....

thats a very sweeping statement and one that could be deemed as libelous if there are any estate agents on here willing to fight you over a statement like that.

whilst the profession does not always get good press, there are a lot of very professional estate agents out there who do everything to keep the client happy..

i once had a shit pair of spex from Specsavers and even shitter level of aftercare when i complained about it, but it doesnt make all opticians bad!!!

to the OP.. ask around,, word of mouth is by far the best recommendation.

and good luck

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Before choosing which Estate Agent you may use, pop in as a browsing house purchaser, re_iew their newspaper house sales ads, and see how their service really is for a similar property to one you're selling. This will allow you to compare their prices, as well as their service based on real experience you've had. If they're crap in the sales office, then they're not worth much at all really.

Haggle with prices anyway, and ensure that you keep the minimum period you're tied to them as short as possible, in case you want to change etc, including notice period, as someone mentioned above. Agree what reports they'll provide to you, such as no of enquiries managed, how much literature given out etc, and at what frequency.

over a year ago

"Before choosing which Estate Agent you may use, pop in as a browsing house purchaser, re_iew their newspaper house sales ads, and see how their service really is for a similar property to one you're selling. This will allow you to compare their prices, as well as their service based on real experience you've had. If they're crap in the sales office, then they're not worth much at all really.

Haggle with prices anyway, and ensure that you keep the minimum period you're tied to them as short as possible, in case you want to change etc, including notice period, as someone mentioned above. Agree what reports they'll provide to you, such as no of enquiries managed, how much literature given out etc, and at what frequency. "

Hi, I have chosen one now thanks. They set up a 'site-page' for me to look at anytime and all information is updated there so I always know what's going on. Also have no initial package fee due to having my own thingy efficiency survey done

12 week tie in with a written thing in the contract saying if I find a buyer without them it's got bugger all to do with them.

They have the highest success rate in my particular area, and advertise on loads of different sites and newspapers.

It's all looking good so far

Thanks again everyone x

Post new Message to Thread