Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

help with running

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A while back I tore my left calf (grade 2) and have only started back on the gym recently having piled on the lb's.

I quite active play football, go to spinning classes but I have a complete mental block to running.

When I get on tread mill I can't wait to get off, even after a minute. Mentally I feel I don't have the capacity to run for more than 10 minutes, and I really need help.

I have an ipod, incase you were gonna suggest it.

I'd welcome any tips on running, any at all.

Thanks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

u have to put one leg in front of the other rather rapidly i think

sorry that wasnt too helpful, but hopefully made u smile, why does it have to be running ???? why not something else to burn the carbs??

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

You could pretend you got a train to catch . yes i know i know not very helpful

over a year ago

"You could pretend you got a train to catch . yes i know i know not very helpful"

u and me is gonna get into trouble again lol

over a year ago

just think your running to a nice tight wet pussy open and ready for you

over a year ago

"You could pretend you got a train to catch . yes i know i know not very helpful"

Ha ha ha Karen, think that's the fastest I've ever ran

over a year ago

"u have to put one leg in front of the other rather rapidly i think

sorry that wasnt too helpful, but hopefully made u smile, why does it have to be running ???? why not something else to burn the carbs?? "

Fab helps me burn a few lol

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I got plantar fasciitis when I started running. I'll quote what the doctor said when I went to see him (its incredibly helpful ):

'Stop running then!'

There are several other cardio exercises instead of running, and walking for the same amount of distance burns the same calories. It just takes twice as long.

over a year ago

I'm the same, it just bores the crap out of me. Most obvious suggestion is just don't, there are plenty of other ways to do cardio.

Turning it into a fartlek or interval session can help if you definitely want to keep it up. It's also generally much better exercise that way. On treadmills I used to do something like 3 minutes gentleish jog then up the speed for 1 minute to a hard jog then down for 1 minute to a brisk walk. Then increase the incline and repeat, do that 4 times and you have a 20 minute run.

Still much rather be on a rowing machine though.

over a year ago

Should maybe add that that's just an example, it's important to push yourself but you can push too hard and become counterproductive as well. If you're in better or worse shape than I was you can fiddle around with the durations, or the speeds or inclines you choose might be different or whatever.

over a year ago

Why do you need to run?

Its one of the worst ways to get fit unless you are in it to train for marathons.

Treadmills ruin your knees aswell. Do HIIT training on a speed bike in the gym but first get your knee+legs up to scratch.

over a year ago

Tie a nice rump steak to the back of your shorts and then wave it in a pitbulls face!!

Happy running!!

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Maybe if they had a treadmill in Chams you'd like running ??

Oh and no more late night cupcakes and samosas lol xx

over a year ago

we're doing the couch25k programme atm. its builds u up gradually and it really works. google it. made me go from hating running to bring addicted to it xx

By *eaverfeverCouple
over a year ago

nr Manchester

Try circuit training at your local leisure centre, loads of fun.and that burns the cals

over a year ago

"Why do you need to run?

Its one of the worst ways to get fit unless you are in it to train for marathons."

Well that's quite a generalisation, there are loads of different ways of running to get fit and loads of different sports that will benefit from one or more of them.

over a year ago

Decent trainers

over a year ago

Turning it into a fartlek or interval session can help if you definitely want to keep it up. It's also generally much better exercise that way. On treadmills I used to do something like 3 minutes gentleish jog then up the speed for 1 minute to a hard jog then down for 1 minute to a brisk walk. Then increase the incline and repeat, do that 4 times and you have a 20 minute run.

This is excellent advice and set the treadmill at a one degree incline and that will save your knees.

Listen to some Muse too

over a year ago

"Maybe if they had a treadmill in Chams you'd like running ??

Oh and no more late night cupcakes and samosas lol xx"

Those Samosa's never made it to the motorway from chams, babes.

Lol. Now you see why I need to run.

over a year ago

"Why do you need to run?

Its one of the worst ways to get fit unless you are in it to train for marathons.

Treadmills ruin your knees aswell. Do HIIT training on a speed bike in the gym but first get your knee+legs up to scratch."

its the best way to loose weight tho, theres not much that will get your heart pumping faster and burn off the cals quicker

over a year ago

I know its crap on your knees etc, but what about running in the great outdoors??

I too get really bored on a running machine, and although I hate hills I can run for much longer outside.

By *obsrocketMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

Do you just run in the Gym on a treadmill? I used to hate treadmills but loved running outdoors. If you have several different routes it would certainly relieve the boredom of the same gym wall or mirror. Would definataly recommend interval or fartlek sessions as if like myself you have gained a few pounds you will be more at risk of further calf damage. unfortunately i did not heed this advise and my calves wont last more than 10 minutes if I try to run now.

over a year ago

Interesting that the last two posts recommend running outdoors, I always found that the worst! On a treadmill you've at least got concrete figures to motivate yourself with

By *taffs_hotwifeCouple
over a year ago

wombourne

I did something similar and I was advised to run in waist deep water, did the trick for me.

By *obandruthCouple
over a year ago

wolverhampton

get a nice stake tie it to your pants and get a german sheperd that hast been fed for a few days beleave me you would soon learn to run and pritty dam quick

over a year ago

"Why do you need to run?

Treadmills ruin your knees aswell. Do HIIT training on a speed bike in the gym but first get your knee+legs up to scratch."

How do you work that one out? It is the number one, free to do exercise used by military organisations across the world to get people fit. Costs nothing and achieves loads.

over a year ago

"A while back I tore my left calf (grade 2) and have only started back on the gym recently having piled on the lb's.

I quite active play football, go to spinning classes but I have a complete mental block to running.

When I get on tread mill I can't wait to get off, even after a minute. Mentally I feel I don't have the capacity to run for more than 10 minutes, and I really need help.

I have an ipod, incase you were gonna suggest it.

I'd welcome any tips on running, any at all.

Thanks"

Make a written plan and achievment record and stick to it.

You need to have aims and targets to achieve. Start slowly with a mile (or 1500 metres) and build you speed up and/or distance.

Match this to a weight loss plan and you will soon become motivated again.

over a year ago

"I did something similar and I was advised to run in waist deep water, did the trick for me. "

I thought about running in the swimming pool at my gym, but did wanna look like a plum lol

Post new Message to Thread