Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

WHATS THE POINT

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

is it true that if your banned from forums or chat you can set up another account and be straight back on ?

surly this defeats the object or are we missing something

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"is it true that if your banned from forums or chat you can set up another account and be straight back on ?

surly this defeats the object or are we missing something "

It defeats the object.

They should have some way of obtaining each persons IP address or something (Is that your personal computer code?? I dunno lol)....

That way they wouldn't be able to get a new one on that computer.

But for the sad buggers that have two we are buggered.

x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Admin can block IP address and, in some cases mac address or uuid but not sure.

Tony

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Admin can block IP address and, in some cases mac address or uuid but not sure.

Tony"

Maybe they just choose not to?

x

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Admin can normally tell from a few things if a user has more than one account to use on the forums.

If however they have missed something and you think that people are getting around bans this way then it is best to report them from their profile.

It will get checked that way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"is it true that if your banned from forums or chat you can set up another account and be straight back on ?

surly this defeats the object or are we missing something

It defeats the object.

They should have some way of obtaining each persons IP address or something (Is that your personal computer code?? I dunno lol)....

That way they wouldn't be able to get a new one on that computer.

But for the sad buggers that have two we are buggered.

x"

IP is good to block if they have a static one, but some peeps still have dynamic

I think ours is static but can request for it to be changed from the isp.

Tony

Reply privately

over a year ago

we agree that if a person or persons are banned then all accounts should be banned othrewise it becomes a farse

there will always be cleaver people who find a loophole thats just a fact of life. If there wasnt there would be no such thing as, pirate dvds, dodgy sky or virgin boxes

Reply privately

over a year ago

"we agree that if a person or persons are banned then all accounts should be banned othrewise it becomes a farse

there will always be cleaver people who find a loophole thats just a fact of life. If there wasnt there would be no such thing as, pirate dvds, dodgy sky or virgin boxes "

Sorry had to re read that twice, I thought there were dodgy virgins in a box being sold,

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"we agree that if a person or persons are banned then all accounts should be banned othrewise it becomes a farse

there will always be cleaver people who find a loophole thats just a fact of life. If there wasnt there would be no such thing as, pirate dvds, dodgy sky or virgin boxes "

Exactly, and why the report button is there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes, you are correct, i'm sure admin are already real busy keeping the site and our details secure for us, its amazing what has to be watched out for like cross site scripting, iframe injection and a million and one other things..

I personally would prefer time spent on keeping the site secure for us than admin chasing the odd user that I could just block anyway lol

Tony

Reply privately

over a year ago

there will always be cleaver people who find a loophole thats just a fact of life. If there wasnt there would be no such thing as, pirate dvds, dodgy sky or virgin boxes

Sorry had to re read that twice, I thought there were dodgy virgins in a box being sold, "

you wont find a virgin on this site dodgy or not lol

Reply privately

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

BT broadband changes your IP everytime your connect.

I think it's AOL who all have the same IP addy.

If you use a Belkin Wireless router you have the same IP addy as everyone else who uses a Belkin.

And it's pretty easy to change your IP addy.... so I am told.

But back to the question - does it defeat the object?... Well I guess it doesn't, as the biggest pain in the arse for the banned person is they cannot post or chat as themselves. If you are unknown by anyone then it may not be so bad... but hey ho!

Reply privately

By *ricky_DickyMan
over a year ago

Mirfield

IP bans are pretty useless, you can easily obtain a different IP addy. Yes Polo you are correct AOL users all have the same IP addy or appear to do, this is because AOL and some othe ISP's use gateways to access the internet and its the IP of this gateway the rest of the web sees.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The simplest way would be for the site to only accept ISP based email addresses for new accounts created.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The simplest way would be for the site to only accept ISP based email addresses for new accounts created."

We are on "3" mobile broadband, don't get a free email address with that, that would be us buggered

Tony

Reply privately

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"The simplest way would be for the site to only accept ISP based email addresses for new accounts created."

I can't remember the ISP my bro uses but he's allowed unlimited email addresses. He uses a different one each time he orders something online so if he gets spam he knows which company passed on his info (or something like that).

Reply privately

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

Who cares!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The simplest way would be for the site to only accept ISP based email addresses for new accounts created.

We are on "3" mobile broadband, don't get a free email address with that, that would be us buggered

Tony"

But you already have an account

Reply privately

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

"Who cares! "

Thing is ITS A FREE SITE.

Don't ask for too much administration as they will start charging us loads as it becomes a full time job for the admin team.

If someone annoys you, block them, if they annoy you again block them again ad infinitum

Are we grown ups or children in the playground?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Admin can normally tell from a few things if a user has more than one account to use on the forums.

If however they have missed something and you think that people are getting around bans this way then it is best to report them from their profile.

It will get checked that way.

And yes, adults people are meant to be

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The simplest way would be for the site to only accept ISP based email addresses for new accounts created.

I can't remember the ISP my bro uses but he's allowed unlimited email addresses. He uses a different one each time he orders something online so if he gets spam he knows which company passed on his info (or something like that)."

Yeah your right, lots of ISP's offer 5 or more email addresses, but they're all traceable, we would imagine that if people couldn't hide behing third party emails that you can set up anonymously in a minutes, then they would be less reluctant to create profiles for the sole purpose of abusing others.

Reply privately