Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Footballers Wages

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I have no issue with footballers earning big wages. I hear people say, what about the doctors and surgeons who do useful things like saving lives...

Here is my take on it. There are probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of surgeons. But nobody else can play football like Messi or Ronaldo.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What use is football though. It's not helping anyone or worthwhile in any way.

over a year ago

"I have no issue with footballers earning big wages. I hear people say, what about the doctors and surgeons who do useful things like saving lives...

Here is my take on it. There are probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of surgeons. But nobody else can play football like Messi or Ronaldo. "

Lol - hilarious - and says more about you than it does about the greedy bar stewards fleecing everyone whilst "playing".

over a year ago

It's an absolute shit show that footballers get paid more than skilled professionals who risk their lives to save others daily.

Lu

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"It's an absolute shit show that footballers get paid more than skilled professionals who risk their lives to save others daily.

Lu "

It's the most popular sport in the world

TV companies pay millions to show the matches, so a big chunk of that money should go to the players.

It's the clubs who are just as greedy.

over a year ago

Man on 65k a yr..for kicking a leather bag around while wearing shorts n t shirt.

Nurse here work long hrs just to survive. I wouldnt say live..

Perhaps footballers n mps should live on my wages for a few weeks then money saved could go to those in need. "

Your wages are determined by the government who are stingy fuckers when it comes to pay rises for worthy people like yourself ....but footballers are paid that wage because the money is poured into the premier league from sky, sponsors etc because its the biggest sport in the world, them billions trickle down to the clubs and then down to the players, most players also do a lot for charity...also by the way Marcus Rushford is probably on about 300 grand a week not 65k a year

..he thoroughly deserves it for what he is doing and that is coming from a Liverpool fan

My reply in another thread above

It isn't the footballers fault....at the top of everything is the money poured in by the biggest sponsors in the world to be involved in football which trickles down to every club, which trickles down toe players, billions of pounds

On the same hand the government have a pot of cash which is trickled down and they determine what the nurses get paid and if they pay rises, this is the government's fault and doing, nothing to do with football

Another example......let's say rugby league they are not on amazing salaries (I still wouldn't mind there salary like) because the revenue isn't there because of lack of big crowds and how.much sponsors will.pay for the privilege

over a year ago

"It's an absolute shit show that footballers get paid more than skilled professionals who risk their lives to save others daily.

Lu

TV companies pay millions to show the matches, so a big chunk of that money should go to the players.

It's the clubs who are just as greedy."

It is.

I'm not saying they shouldn't earn decent money.

I'm saying it's ridiculous to me that they earn more than those saving lives for work.

I know which jobs I consider to be more important.

Lu

over a year ago

Lu

This this and this...I don't understand how people don't understand how money trickles down

over a year ago

"What use is football though. It's not helping anyone or worthwhile in any way. "

I disagree but football doesn't help anyone because many people find enjoyment in it.

By *eavertrackerMan
over a year ago

bridgwater

It's a small case of catch 22, I certainly don't agree with footballers being in such big wages, though if the clubs are getting paid millions from the sponsorship firms then why not...I certainly wouldn't want to see the clubs taking all the profits, plus because of taxes to these big earners who do you think is paying for our nhs,...without them we might not have a nhs system that works, so it's a case of you, you hate the big earners, but they are also supporting the nhs etc

By *ive Bar Beauty QueenWoman
over a year ago

Stoke

Not all footballers are on huge wages some lower level clubs pay very average wages.

over a year ago

Lu

It is.

I'm saying it's ridiculous to me that they earn more than those saving lives for work.

Lu "

Because if they don't receive them.salaries the greedy clubs/ chairmans will keep it all.....also without a salary cap players will ask 1 club for a certain salary and if another offers higher they will go there...simple as that

over a year ago

Lu

This this and this...I don't understand how people don't understand how money trickles down"

I understand perfectly.

I don't agree with it.

There's a difference.

over a year ago

Lu

It is.

Lu

Because if they don't receive them.salaries the greedy clubs/ chairmans will keep it all.....also without a salary cap players will ask 1 club for a certain salary and if another offers higher they will go there...simple as that "

Yeah....you don't need to mansplain it to me.

I understand how it all works.

I simply think it shouldn't be like that.

over a year ago

Lu

This this and this...I don't understand how people don't understand how money trickles down

I understand perfectly.

I don't agree with it.

There's a difference. "

Fair enough...I don't agree with nurses salaries, I agree with footballers salaries because of what they bring to fans mental health and wellbeing...and like I say sooner they have it than the fat cats,most are super tax payers as well which like someone said above helps this country

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Lu

It is.

Lu "

Footballers are an easy target

Christopher grayling gets paid about 10 grand for a few hours work as a consultant

Consultants at serco are on 6grand a day.

I do think the wages are ridiculous but they arent the only ones

over a year ago

"What use is football though. It's not helping anyone or worthwhile in any way.

I disagree but football doesn't help anyone because many people find enjoyment in it. "

Fair point.

Suppose it's like gigs. People don't complain (as much as about footballers) about pop star types getting millions from gigs.

over a year ago

Lu

It is.

Lu

Because if they don't receive them.salaries the greedy clubs/ chairmans will keep it all.....also without a salary cap players will ask 1 club for a certain salary and if another offers higher they will go there...simple as that

"

What's your alternative?

By *iker boy 69Man
over a year ago

midlands

The money players earn is a disgrace, the money involved in the game is also disgusting, be it from tv, sponsors etc. I stopped going because the game has been taken away from the working man. Yes its the most popular game in the world blah blah blah, but most folk would play for next to nothing for the love of the game. All these players want is to say to the next man, i earn more than you, so im more valuble. All the bollox about short career etc is bollox. If i was on 20k per week for 15 years, im pretty sure i could afford to live the rest of my life comfortably. Plus, if the weekly wage wasnt 20m quid, then clubs could charge fans 30 quid a game, instead of 70.

over a year ago

They do pay 50% tax. They do a lot for charity. They bring a smile to kids faces when them watch them play/meet them.

And if it’s that easy then go and fill ya boots and join them for there wages

over a year ago

Lu

It is.

Lu

What's your alternative? "

Personally, I think all these massive money businesses, football, media etc could give a little back, balance things out a bit.

If a footballer earns millions per year, he wouldn't miss 100 grand would he? Split that 100 grand each year from each big earner (footballer or otherwise) and pay those in live saving jobs an extra 10k per year...

The people earning the big money won't miss it and those earning a pittance will notice a massive difference.

It'll never happen of course.

Lu

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

It is what it is, it's only the top percent of footballers who earn what many would consider to be "big money"

Lower league players, not so much.

Also a professional athletes career is much shorter and also much riskier than most professions plus the sacrifices and dedication needed at a younger age.

What I don't like is the number of small clubs that go out of business with comparatively small debts, I think the football league (and top players) should do more to look after them.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Lu

It is.

Lu

What's your alternative? "

There is a salary cap in Italy but that can be easily swerved.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Lu

It is.

Lu

What's your alternative?

Personally, I think all these massive money businesses, football, media etc could give a little back, balance things out a bit.

If a footballer earns millions per year, he wouldn't miss 100 grand would he? Split that 100 grand each year from each big earner (footballer or otherwise) and pay those in live saving jobs an extra 10k per year...

The people earning the big money won't miss it and those earning a pittance will notice a massive difference.

Lu "

A fair society?

Nah..that will never catch on.

over a year ago

"They do pay 50% tax. They do a lot for charity. They bring a smile to kids faces when them watch them play/meet them.

And if it’s that easy then go and fill ya boots and join them for there wages "

Well said

over a year ago

"The money players earn is a disgrace, the money involved in the game is also disgusting, be it from tv, sponsors etc. I stopped going because the game has been taken away from the working man. Yes its the most popular game in the world blah blah blah, but most folk would play for next to nothing for the love of the game. All these players want is to say to the next man, i earn more than you, so im more valuble. All the bollox about short career etc is bollox. If i was on 20k per week for 15 years, im pretty sure i could afford to live the rest of my life comfortably. Plus, if the weekly wage wasnt 20m quid, then clubs could charge fans 30 quid a game, instead of 70. "

Fair play....what's your business plan/alternative to change this?

over a year ago

It's supply and demand really. Movie stars get paid loads because people pay to watch them, so they draw in the crowds. The same is true of football. Millions of people across the world take joy in watching them most skilled players play. I don't like football myself, but the pay of those at the very top is directly a result of people wanting to watch them, and so the clubs are willing to pay more to bring those players in.

over a year ago

Lu

It is.

Lu

What's your alternative?

Lu "

Yeah they all could...footballers, f1 drivers (arguably paid more than footballers Lewis Hamilton for starters isn't he a tax dodger) serco staff, mps, musicians at...

But regarding footballers the majority have their own charities, do a lot behind the scenes, pay super tax...... why should they have to fund the pay rises of nurses that is down tonthe government...maybe if the mps stopped fleecing the tax payers with expenses and not helping there mates out at serco etc the government could then rightly give nurses pay rises

over a year ago

"It's supply and demand really. Movie stars get paid loads because people pay to watch them, so they draw in the crowds. The same is true of football. Millions of people across the world take joy in watching them most skilled players play. I don't like football myself, but the pay of those at the very top is directly a result of people wanting to watch them, and so the clubs are willing to pay more to bring those players in."

Exactly!! Youve got it in one, I don't understand how people don't understand this

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's difficult to put a price on the joy and mental wellbeing that football brings to millions. It's not a tangible thing easily measured but just the joy of seeing a result and not seeing the game brings joy and unity. At twenty to five on a Saturday you hear people day, How did Rovers or United or the Town get on?.. It's huge.. and most of the professionals in the UK come from a working class background. Their only crime it seems is working hard and using their talent. How dare they better themselves.. ?

By *reamblueMan
over a year ago

London

I don't think anyone could argue that the prem footballer vs nurse salary is fair, or anything other than really unfair.

On the other hand, it is market forces that determine the salaries. The players are clearly worth it to the clubs who (most of the time) can afford to pay it.

I would try to introduce a trend where donating or investing more of their salary is cooler

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/10/20 12:04:30]

over a year ago

"It's difficult to put a price on the joy and mental wellbeing that football brings to millions. It's not a tangible thing easily measured but just the joy of seeing a result and not seeing the game brings joy and unity. At twenty to five on a Saturday you hear people day, How did Rovers or United or the Town get on?.. It's huge.. and most of the professionals in the UK come from a working class background. Their only crime it seems is working hard and using their talent. How dare they better themselves.. ?"

well said

over a year ago

"I have no issue with footballers earning big wages. I hear people say, what about the doctors and surgeons who do useful things like saving lives...

Here is my take on it. There are probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of surgeons. But nobody else can play football like Messi or Ronaldo. "

Well said. Who the fuck wants to watch a surgeon performing hip replacement surgery ?

over a year ago

I don't really get this argument as theres no comparison. Obviously, doctors should be paid more in principal but that's never going to happen. Football is a multi-million pound industry which funds the players wages. Doctors wages are funded by government, which we all know is not a priority of theirs. Its not the footballers fault our government is so backward!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

And no one can remove a brain tumour and give a human their life back like dr "x"

No society has its priorities twisted

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Footballer wages has made the game worse...specially in the UK. It's the 'haves' who can buy the best and most expensive players and therefore get the trophies. Leicester was a blip on the part of the "big six" but normal service has been resumed.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Comparing a footballers salary with that of a nurse is like comparing apples and oranges - do nurses deserve better pay? Of course they do, should their salary be compared with that of a footballer? Not in the slightest they are two completely different sectors and bear no comparison.

Footballers get paid what they do, because the money is there to pay them and clubs will pay sky high salaries because they want the best and in order to be the best they have to pay the sky high salaries - it's a perpetual circle.

It's no different from movie stars, pop stars or any other "celebrity" sector where the money is there and is used to attract the best.

It's the same with any media popular sport too - basketball, baseball, Formula 1, American Football and more all attract massive sponsorship and interest and so pay the best to get the best.

And what is forgotten is many of these players give lots to charity often unseen or unheard of - Marcus Rashford is particularly visible currently but as an example out of the limelight one of the Spurs players purchased and distributed tablets to disadvantaged kids at the start of lockdown to ensure they were able to continue with their education.

I actually find some of the charitable work footballers do a lot more humbling than some other celebrities who appear on charity programmes/records as inevitably many that do have nothing to gain whereas other celebs always seem to have a book or record out - it's quite well known that everyone that appeared at Live Aid got a boost in record sales off the back of it for example - now there's no denying that the work of Live Aid was fantastic but there's also a level of cynicism about who benefitted the most from it.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Footballer wages has made the game worse...specially in the UK. It's the 'haves' who can buy the best and most expensive players and therefore get the trophies. Leicester was a blip on the part of the "big six" but normal service has been resumed."

Been that way for years.

over a year ago

"I don't really get this argument as theres no comparison. Obviously, doctors should be paid more in principal but that's never going to happen. Football is a multi-million pound industry which funds the players wages. Doctors wages are funded by government, which we all know is not a priority of theirs. Its not the footballers fault our government is so backward!"

Well said ..this is what I said earlier but waffled on haha

over a year ago

"Comparing a footballers salary with that of a nurse is like comparing apples and oranges - do nurses deserve better pay? Of course they do, should their salary be compared with that of a footballer? Not in the slightest they are two completely different sectors and bear no comparison.

Footballers get paid what they do, because the money is there to pay them and clubs will pay sky high salaries because they want the best and in order to be the best they have to pay the sky high salaries - it's a perpetual circle.

It's no different from movie stars, pop stars or any other "celebrity" sector where the money is there and is used to attract the best.

It's the same with any media popular sport too - basketball, baseball, Formula 1, American Football and more all attract massive sponsorship and interest and so pay the best to get the best.

And what is forgotten is many of these players give lots to charity often unseen or unheard of - Marcus Rashford is particularly visible currently but as an example out of the limelight one of the Spurs players purchased and distributed tablets to disadvantaged kids at the start of lockdown to ensure they were able to continue with their education.

I actually find some of the charitable work footballers do a lot more humbling than some other celebrities who appear on charity programmes/records as inevitably many that do have nothing to gain whereas other celebs always seem to have a book or record out - it's quite well known that everyone that appeared at Live Aid got a boost in record sales off the back of it for example - now there's no denying that the work of Live Aid was fantastic but there's also a level of cynicism about who benefitted the most from it."

You've basically said what I said but in a more articulate way..well done sir

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Comparing a footballers salary with that of a nurse is like comparing apples and oranges - do nurses deserve better pay? Of course they do, should their salary be compared with that of a footballer? Not in the slightest they are two completely different sectors and bear no comparison.

I actually find some of the charitable work footballers do a lot more humbling than some other celebrities who appear on charity programmes/records as inevitably many that do have nothing to gain whereas other celebs always seem to have a book or record out - it's quite well known that everyone that appeared at Live Aid got a boost in record sales off the back of it for example - now there's no denying that the work of Live Aid was fantastic but there's also a level of cynicism about who benefitted the most from it."

Nail

Head etc

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Live Aid is another subject and I have my own views on that one ...

Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of doctors can remove tumours but boy oh boy. Nobody but nobody in my memory could play like Pele, Best, Maradonna, Cruyff, Messi, Ronaldo and myself... in my opinion

Just like nobody can drive a F1 car like Hamilton, or Schumacher etc

By *igh wide and handsomeMan
over a year ago

Dagenham

Footballers wages are fantastic because it's ONE of very few industries, where people who earn the money, receive the money.

Most industries reward the very few bosses on the shoulders of the hard workers.

over a year ago

Apologies as I haven’t read the whole thread as I got annoyed while wading through the jealous drivel of the anti football brigade.

First thing and probably the most important thing is it’s impossible to compare a sport to the health sector. It’s probably less than 1% of the population that make it as a professional footballer, it is a skill! I’m not saying it’s easy to become a surgeon, doctor or a nurse but these guys choose this as a profession knowing full well what salaries they will end up earning at the end of their training. Like all professions if you don’t like it get another job instead of moaning that you don’t earn enough in the profession you freely chose.

One thing with all this that I will agree on is the money that exists in football is obscene but this isn’t the fault of your average player. It’s no coincidence that all these inflated wages, transfer fees, agent fees and the ridiculous costs to get a season ticket for a premier league team lays firmly at the feet of Sky tv and the ludicrous fees that the premier league charge for rights to screen live matches. The FA is rotten to the core and run by dinosaurs.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Apologies as I haven’t read the whole thread as I got annoyed while wading through the jealous drivel of the anti football brigade.

First thing and probably the most important thing is it’s impossible to compare a sport to the health sector. It’s probably less than 1% of the population that make it as a professional footballer, it is a skill! I’m not saying it’s easy to become a surgeon, doctor or a nurse but these guys choose this as a profession knowing full well what salaries they will end up earning at the end of their training. Like all professions if you don’t like it get another job instead of moaning that you don’t earn enough in the profession you freely chose.

One thing with all this that I will agree on is the money that exists in football is obscene but this isn’t the fault of your average player. It’s no coincidence that all these inflated wages, transfer fees, agent fees and the ridiculous costs to get a season ticket for a premier league team lays firmly at the feet of Sky tv and the ludicrous fees that the premier league charge for rights to screen live matches. The FA is rotten to the core and run by dinosaurs."

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

Lu

If you think about it only the first tv company took a chance & paid millions & that was Sky, paid for the rights & then sold the viewing, now the viewing is there & pretty much guaranteed to make you money so there is next to zero risk. Anything with such a low risk will always be damn expensive to buy into & anyone with sport ppv pays the footballers wages. It’s pretty much a direct line to his wallet.

Don’t think they should earn so much? Do your little bit & don’t get ppv or a sky/bt football subscription.

Me? I think it’s obscene that a footballer can earn on a year what a brain surgeon would struggle to earn in a lifetime.

So no one can put a round ball in a big net like Messi....truthfully, so bloody what?

S

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Lu

If you think about it only the first tv company took a chance & paid millions & that was Sky, paid for the rights & then sold the viewing, now the viewing is there & pretty much guaranteed to make you money so there is next to zero risk. Anything with such a low risk will always be damn expensive to buy into & anyone with sport ppv pays the footballers wages. It’s pretty much a direct line to his wallet.

Don’t think they should earn so much? Do your little bit & don’t get ppv or a sky/bt football subscription.

Me? I think it’s obscene that a footballer can earn on a year what a brain surgeon would struggle to earn in a lifetime.

So no one can put a round ball in a big net like Messi....truthfully, so bloody what?

S"

BBC were 1st..they have been showing footy since the 60s.

Then ITV

Sky only got involved when the premier league began.

By *anana JoeMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Lu

S"

Thats life people want to watch the best players and subscribe and pay. The clubs then pay the players more money.

If brain surgeon got paid the same then only the few could afford it.

Lifer is not fair humanity is like it is because humans are opportunists and that doesn't benefit all.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Perhaps instead of blaming the 'government' for nurses wages we should look at who gives the government its money and who votes them in.

Ask people to pay an extra £15 a month in taxes to fund higher wages for nurses/teachers/police etc and how many takers will there be? Ask them to pay that to watch their favourite football team and they may grumble but they'll still do it - and fork out hundreds for tickets/kit/merchandise on top.

The reason footballers get paid more than nurses isn't the fault of government, it is the fault of us all. We all would rather spend our money on things we like than pay towards giving others wages. Nurses get paid exactly what we as a society (on average) think they should - however much people pretend otherwise online.

Mr

over a year ago

If you provide a service and are very good at it then you are in demand.

Footballers are just that and clubs want instant success so they can get what they want.

If they unhappy they move clubs just like people move jobs.

A lot of it is jealous for not being good enough to earn what they do.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I would think most people could survive on a doctor's wage. My local GP surgery post the wages and not much change out of 100k for most of them.

Anyone who is really really bright and can study could become a doctor.. most people who play football could train 8 hours a day and never make a living from it..

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I wouldn’t mind them earning such a high wage if they actually did something for it! Perhaps out of season charity work .... not many of them do

I didn’t agree they were paid when some clubs staff were furloughed though!

I think most of them should sit a degree in being role models

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"I wouldn’t mind them earning such a high wage if they actually did something for it! Perhaps out of season charity work .... not many of them do

I think most of them should sit a degree in being role models"

You'd be surprised how many of them actually do do charitable things and just don't shout about it DC - not all of course but a lot do, and most clubs have various charitable foundations and local community projects they get the players involved in too

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

I dislike the whole football thing based upon how the clubs and players are more than happy to take a fair wack of a avrage working persons weekly wage and add that to the millions in the bank their having difficulty spending quick enough

Makes me fuckin sick actually

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"I dislike the whole football thing based upon how the clubs and players are more than happy to take a fair wack of a avrage working persons weekly wage and add that to the millions in the bank their having difficulty spending quick enough

Makes me fuckin sick actually "

Do you feel the same about actors who are paid millions per movie just for pretending to be someone else? Or Formula 1 drivers just for driving a car? Or musicians who charge nearly £100 a ticket just to see them play?

Same principle

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

Yep... Think it's discusting

£150 a year is more than enough for anyone to live well and save up for a decent house and a nice car or few... Sure could get a decent monthly mortgage on that kind of money

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

Wayyyyy

Go on son kick it, kick it

heres £60 quid.. Take it

Having a laugh

By *elshcouple18Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Man on 65k a yr..for kicking a leather bag around while wearing shorts n t shirt.

Nurse here work long hrs just to survive. I wouldnt say live..

Perhaps footballers n mps should live on my wages for a few weeks then money saved could go to those in need. "

Your wages are determined by the government who are stingy fuckers when it comes to pay rises for worthy people like yourself ....but footballers are paid that wage because the money is poured into the premier league from sky, sponsors etc because its the biggest sport in the world, them billions trickle down to the clubs and then down to the players, most players also do a lot for charity...also by the way Marcus Rushford is probably on about 300 grand a week not 65k a year

..he thoroughly deserves it for what he is doing and that is coming from a Liverpool fan

My reply in another thread above

It isn't the footballers fault....at the top of everything is the money poured in by the biggest sponsors in the world to be involved in football which trickles down to every club, which trickles down toe players, billions of pounds

On the same hand the government have a pot of cash which is trickled down and they determine what the nurses get paid and if they pay rises, this is the government's fault and doing, nothing to do with football

Another example......let's say rugby league they are not on amazing salaries (I still wouldn't mind there salary like) because the revenue isn't there because of lack of big crowds and how.much sponsors will.pay for the privilege"

I agree regarding rashford and his campaign, but why doesn't he and the rest of the overpaid prima Donna's give up half their wages to help the cause, how much do you need to live comfortably on anyway. It would take most of us 5 yrs to earn what he does per week, and we put a lot more time and effort into it also.

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

I'm all up for communism me

30grand a year..no more, no less. Done

If you want a job you like, train for it

If you want to complain get nothing

over a year ago

No problem with the wages at all football has given me pleasure and my team mostly painby going for 50 years yes they are lucky to be blessed with talent but good luck to them

over a year ago

"I wouldn’t mind them earning such a high wage if they actually did something for it! Perhaps out of season charity work .... not many of them do

You’d be surprised. I can only speak for my team Wolves who are constantly working with the community with food banks and local initiatives. Before Covid the training ground was open on certain days for young fans to meet the team and get autographs from their idols.

Every Christmas without fail they visit new cross hospital with gifts to give the sick children and generally brighten their day.

over a year ago

A lot of hospices also benefit from the club too. They are at the forefront of the community.

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

You’d be surprised. I can only speak for my team Wolves who are constantly working with the community with food banks and local initiatives. Before Covid the training ground was open on certain days for young fans to meet the team and get autographs from their idols.

Every Christmas without fail they visit new cross hospital with gifts to give the sick children and generally brighten their day. "

Does that deserve a few million quid??

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

I agree regarding rashford and his campaign, but why doesn't he and the rest of the overpaid prima Donna's give up half their wages to help the cause, how much do you need to live comfortably on anyway. It would take most of us 5 yrs to earn what he does per week, and we put a lot more time and effort into it also. "

But you could use that argument about any kind of public funding and any kind of celebrity on a higher rate of income - they all pay their taxes at 50% why should they pay extra for something that arguably should be publically funded (and whether it should or shouldn't is a whole other conversation).

A lot of them *do* give to charity too or support charitable causes, and probably at a larger percentage of their salary than the average man on the street, so it's not all take take take

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"Yep... Think it's discusting

£150 a year is more than enough for anyone to live well and save up for a decent house and a nice car or few... Sure could get a decent monthly mortgage on that kind of money"

So you never watch a film, never go to a gig, never watch TV, never watch any form of professional sport? Because if you do any of those things you're endorsing what you are disagreeing with here

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

£150 a year is more than enough for anyone to live well and save up for a decent house and a nice car or few... Sure could get a decent monthly mortgage on that kind of money

So you never watch a film, never go to a gig, never watch TV, never watch any form of professional sport? Because if you do any of those things you're endorsing what you are disagreeing with here"

So what

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

So you never watch a film, never go to a gig, never watch TV, never watch any form of professional sport? Because if you do any of those things you're endorsing what you are disagreeing with here

So what "

So nothing other than undoing everything you were trying to say

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

I have no problem with what they earn as I don’t pay for sky sports I don’t have a season ticket for any club I don’t buy the merchandise technically I don’t contribute any thing to football so fair play to them that do it’s their money and it’s not a new thing that footballers are on good money I recently watched a documentary on Leyton orient circa 1995 and some of them where on 50k a year and for those bashing what they earn ask yourself would you turn that kind of cash down ? Exactly would ya fuck

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

So what

So nothing other than undoing everything you were trying to say "

I font care can't be doing with this analatic society looking for detail in what's wrong with it.

I pay £3 a week for a TV licence and buy a dvd occasionally from pound land...

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"I would think most people could survive on a doctor's wage. My local GP surgery post the wages and not much change out of 100k for most of them.

Anyone who is really really bright and can study could become a doctor.. most people who play football could train 8 hours a day and never make a living from it..

"

Anyone who is really really bright ..... apart from the fact that this means only a small percentage of the population and then on top of that you need more - not to be born into grinding poverty where you're working from the age of 13 to feed siblings and be able to study, not being abused, have supportive parents and encouraging teachers etc etc.

I do take your point though, professional careers may be there for the top 10% of people with the right mix of genes, luck, life circumstance etc while elite sport is just that - the top 0.0001% in the world. However, this alone doesn't explain the pay. If you take this analogy you could compare a GP to say the national league but there will be sugeons who are absolutely at the top of their game, capable of things only a few other people on earth could achieve yet while they're undoubtedly paid more than a family GP they certainly won't be getting the multi-million salary of top sports people. The difference comes from what people are prepared to pay and simply put we will spend more money on what makes us happy than for a surgeon or nurse we hope to never need.

By *adbod74Man
over a year ago

Dudley

I've always a hard days work requires a good day's pay, I think their pay is so high to avoid the clubs being taxed so much from income...... I've never really get why they earn so much but with it being such a high revenue business that money has to go somewhere

over a year ago

I’m not going to read the lot of this but I guarantee there are people doing direct comparisons to the military and people in medical fields... when was the last time you paid £30 to watch Iran v Israel in the war? The money footballers are paid is a direct correlation between what is paid in. If people stopped watching the product they’d get paid less. The argument is redundant. You can argue that politicians shouldn’t get paid what they do when nurses and teachers get pittance in comparison because those fields come from the same sector

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

" The argument is redundant. You can argue that politicians shouldn’t get paid what they do when nurses and teachers get pittance in comparison because those fields come from the same sector "

Now *that* is a far more valid comparison

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

It’s simple really, they are a commodity, they can charge whatever someone is willing to pay for that commodity.

They are ‘worth’ whatever they can get, that will be different for different people, but they are not likely to sell their services to the lowest bidder are they.

Am I envious of people who can command high salaries? Probably, if I’m being honest.

Am I resentful of people who can command high salaries? Not in the least, good luck to them.

Bye the way I don’t really follow football not much interest in it but what I have said goes for anyone on high salaries.

over a year ago

Every single one of you would do their job in a heartbeat If you could and happily take the money, if you can get paid a fortune for kicking a ball around no ones going to say no, I don’t blame them. Comparing it to other professions is redundant. We saw what jobs really mattered when we were on lockdown, but it still doesn’t mean diddly squat. It’s supply and demand, that’s the capitalist world we live in.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

You'd be surprised how many of them actually do do charitable things and just don't shout about it DC - not all of course but a lot do, and most clubs have various charitable foundations and local community projects they get the players involved in too "

Hey GM - nice to see you

They need to shout louder about it so we don’t think they’re doing nothing when not playing

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

You'd be surprised how many of them actually do do charitable things and just don't shout about it DC - not all of course but a lot do, and most clubs have various charitable foundations and local community projects they get the players involved in too

Hey GM - nice to see you

They need to shout louder about it so we don’t think they’re doing nothing when not playing "

And if they did that then everyone would be saying "Look at him showing off and virtue signalling" - they can't win

over a year ago

A lot of them do charity work and also a lot of the players took pay cuts so not sure where your getting your information...the s*n maybe?

over a year ago

"I’m not going to read the lot of this but I guarantee there are people doing direct comparisons to the military and people in medical fields... when was the last time you paid £30 to watch Iran v Israel in the war? The money footballers are paid is a direct correlation between what is paid in. If people stopped watching the product they’d get paid less. The argument is redundant. You can argue that politicians shouldn’t get paid what they do when nurses and teachers get pittance in comparison because those fields come from the same sector "

Well done....I don't understand how people don't get this

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"What use is football though. It's not helping anyone or worthwhile in any way. "
It is entertaining billions of people on this planet

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

I find the kicking a football argument a bit daft aswell.

Even if they are gifted they put years in training,practicing etc.and even then only a tiny few make it to the top.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"I find the kicking a football argument a bit daft aswell.

Even if they are gifted they put years in training,practicing etc.and even then only a tiny few make it to the top."

It's no different from anyone else at the top of their profession really - sure the salary scales may be vastly different and driven by various factors but a professional footballer will command a top salary for their profession, just as a top lawyer will command a top salary for theirs or a top nurse, teacher, retail staff etc will in their respective professions. Some may be more bound in pay grades and less negotiable than others but it's still the same principle.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I find the kicking a football argument a bit daft aswell.

Even if they are gifted they put years in training,practicing etc.and even then only a tiny few make it to the top.

It's no different from anyone else at the top of their profession really - sure the salary scales may be vastly different and driven by various factors but a professional footballer will command a top salary for their profession, just as a top lawyer will command a top salary for theirs or a top nurse, teacher, retail staff etc will in their respective professions. Some may be more bound in pay grades and less negotiable than others but it's still the same principle."

But when people say..just for kicking a footy around..when years of practice have gone into it.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Lu

It is.

Lu

"

Sexist much?

over a year ago

The amount of money they get paid for kicking a ball around is ridiculous

By *r. JoystickMan
over a year ago

Bexley

Their income is often representative of the vast sums of money they bring in. Clubs wouldn't be paying these sums if it wasn't worth it.

There is also the fact they need to attract the best talent, whose 'top' candidate pool is very small in comparison to some other industries.

Additionaly, footballer's professional careers are relatively short - in a way these larger sums -now- offset the loss of income in later life. (Realistically the top players can carry on earning post-retirement via media/reputation - but a vast majority will not.)

The figures can be huge, but you cannot forget that these are literally, in most cases we hear about, the top 100/1000s of players. Not every footballer is on this. Its less l

publisised (as not typically media worthy) but there are tons of private business owners that will be making bank on similar levels.

Footballers (the higher earning ones) often donate portions of their salaries to charities/grass-roots etc. So many do it, but do not publicise it. Thru don't have to, but they do.

IMO footballers are singled out unjustly. Yes they can earn tons, but that's just the way it is. Different industries will earn you different sums. IT/Banking vs. Teaching/Healthcare etc. It's not 'fair' and people in all industries work just as hard as others, often on better causes - but at the end of the day if you are making bank for the company you work for, you deserve to be compensated for that relatively proportionally.

over a year ago

Why is it footballers are always the ones singled out for being paid so well?

If anybody was in the top .1% of there profession they would be compensated well, to compare to nurses and the like is utterly ridiculous

over a year ago

Hey GM - nice to see you

They need to shout louder about it so we don’t think they’re doing nothing when not playing "

Why should they tell you what they’re doing when they’re not playing? Their job is playing football.

They are entitled to a private life with their families.

The amount of jealousy on here is pathetic.

over a year ago

Footballers have to pay a load in tax okay they pick up a lot of money, but not much of a private life and constantly being hassled is it worth that amount of cash? The fame and the love for the game must be worth it and the buzz but they do bring a lot of pleasure for a lot of people, men women children oaps it’s just a game if they can make a lot of money from it fair play x

over a year ago

Blame the football clubs, not the players.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"Blame the football clubs, not the players. "
perhaps it’s more the agents but I can see why the agents demand the best deal for their client that riola chap is very wealthy perhaps we should bash the agents and leave the ones with the actual talent alone

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Nobody ever seems to mention the golfers.. Tiger and Rory are paid a fortune for hitting a ball with a stick..

Has anyone ever tried? It's not as easy as it looks

over a year ago

If a surgeon or a doctor worked in front of thousands of fans and on live TV then give them a sponsorship deal and pay them a fortune. As it is though they save lives but the only money they make for the hospital or surgery is from avoiding malpractice suits. They don't sell tickets or merchandise so I can see how they aren't paid the same as a sports professional. They do a more important job for sure but business us business

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

If any high end athletes earn a disproportionate amount of money, blame society, not the players. They only earn what they do because a large percentage of people feed that system. Switch off the tv, do something productive or engage in a pursuit with friends or loved ones - if enough people did this, you'd see the situation quickly change.

Post new Message to Thread