Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Faulty Towers!

Jump to newest

By *hillout OP   Man
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Recently I watched this comedy masterpiece for the first time a couple weeks back and finished the last two episodes this past weekend. Hilarious is an understatement for this brief series.

Though all were hilarious, The Germans, the psychiatrist and the kipper and the corpse were sheer brilliance.

What were your favourites and why?

Over to you

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Wow that brings memories

I use to love monty python years ago

Might have to start looking up some of this old stuff

Xxx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Prunella Scales saying " O'reilly, if you mention God one more time, I will bring you closer to him"

" I've seen more intelligent creatures than you, running round farmyards with their heads chopped off"

By *hillout OP   Man
over a year ago

"Prunella Scales saying " O'reilly, if you mention God one more time, I will bring you closer to him"

" I've seen more intelligent creatures than you, running round farmyards with their heads chopped off""

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Que?

The Germans and Basil the Rat are my favourites

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I thought the Germans had been pulled ?

No innuendo intended.

over a year ago

I like the one where he falls through the bar

By *oxyvixen99Woman
over a year ago

Newtownabbey

The waldorf salad one and basil the rat

By *oxyvixen99Woman
over a year ago

Newtownabbey

"I like the one where he falls through the bar "
blasphemer

By *hillout OP   Man
over a year ago

"I thought the Germans had been pulled ?

No innuendo intended. "

Remastered DVD box set. I had that for three years and only now opened it!

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Communication Problems (with the selectively deaf Mrs Richards) has always been my favourite. So many classic lines, including imho one of the greatest lines in comedy:

"You can see the sea. It's over there between the land and the sky."

That whole dialogue is amazing. "What do you expect to see out of a Torquay bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically..."

It also has some cracking insults which my children love to use, such as when Basil picks up a bit of dirt from the floor and says "Is this a piece of your brain?"

I gather Britbox or the BBC have taken out the Germans episode on account of it being racially insensitive. I think that's a shame because the person we are laughing at is not the German family but the idiot who is being highly insensitive.

By *hillout OP   Man
over a year ago

"Communication Problems (with the selectively deaf Mrs Richards) has always been my favourite. So many classic lines, including imho one of the greatest lines in comedy:

That whole dialogue is amazing. "What do you expect to see out of a Torquay bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically..."

It also has some cracking insults which my children love to use, such as when Basil picks up a bit of dirt from the floor and says "Is this a piece of your brain?"

I gather Britbox or the BBC have taken out the Germans episode on account of it being racially insensitive. I think that's a shame because the person we are laughing at is not the German family but the idiot who is being highly insensitive. "

Exactly in your last point. Yes, that episode with the deaf lady was brilliant

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

"Communication Problems (with the selectively deaf Mrs Richards) has always been my favourite. So many classic lines, including imho one of the greatest lines in comedy:

I gather Britbox or the BBC have taken out the Germans episode on account of it being racially insensitive. I think that's a shame because the person we are laughing at is not the German family but the idiot who is being highly insensitive.

Exactly in your last point. Yes, that episode with the deaf lady was brilliant "

"I'll expect a reduction."

"Why? Because Krakatoa's not erupting at the moment?"

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

No innuendo intended. "

Think it was reinstated shorty after it was pulled

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I can see Basil whipping the bonnet of his Austin 1100 with a branch from a tree when it wouldn’t go as I read this thread.

I’m also reminded of the cruel fate that has befallen Prunella Scales in later life, when you see her in full flow as Sybil Fawlty.

By *hillout OP   Man
over a year ago

Exactly in your last point. Yes, that episode with the deaf lady was brilliant

"I'll expect a reduction."

"Why? Because Krakatoa's not erupting at the moment?" "

By *ctionnotwords69Man
over a year ago

ENFIELD

Luv the episode when he's flirting with an Ozzie female guest....he's in the bathroom fixing a light and she's in the bedroom stretching by the door, back against the wall....and Basil's hand reaches around the door frame seeking the light switch ....and flicks her nipple!!

Brilliant...

...and the scene shortly afterwards where he's up a ladder outside ....tapping her bedroom window with his fingers... apparently testing the windows integrity...and then he sees that she's noticed him...his face as the ladder falls back from the window...

Brilliant!!

over a year ago

I like the psychiatrists episode

"what -your two doctors"?

like the scene where Basil touches the French woman's breasts instead of the light switch(I think that's the same episode)

over a year ago

The kipper and the corpse.

"Your happy today Mr Fawlty!"

"Yes well one of the guests has just died!"

By *lovebustyladiesMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Luv the episode when he's flirting with an Ozzie female guest....he's in the bathroom fixing a light and she's in the bedroom stretching by the door, back against the wall....and Basil's hand reaches around the door frame seeking the light switch ....and flicks her nipple!!

Brilliant...

...and the scene shortly afterwards where he's up a ladder outside ....tapping her bedroom window with his fingers... apparently testing the windows integrity...and then he sees that she's noticed him...his face as the ladder falls back from the window...

Brilliant!!

"

Then Sybil says if your going to grope the guest can you be in the same room as them awesome

By *aomilatteCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

When Basil thought Polly had swingers in a room, but they were friends and family

over a year ago

"A happy customer, we should have him stuffed"

Classic line

over a year ago

The builders for me is one of the best

"If the good lord is mentioned one more time I'll move you closer to him"

Timeless brilliance

over a year ago

Basil having a conversation with the chef...

"do you like cavalleria rusticana Terry?"

"I've never had it Mr Fawlty"

By *ensual pleasures 69Man
over a year ago

leeds

“Don’t mention the war”

“I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it”

Brilliance!!!

By *hloevtTV/TS
over a year ago

norwich

"The builders for me is one of the best

"If the good lord is mentioned one more time I'll move you closer to him"

Timeless brilliance "

Where is the door ?? X

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

No innuendo intended. "

Nope they reinstated it

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

I gather Britbox or the BBC have taken out the Germans episode on account of it being racially insensitive. I think that's a shame because the person we are laughing at is not the German family but the idiot who is being highly insensitive. "

It was the bit with the major in.

Not the german family

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Absolute classic

The fire alarm bit..I don't know why we bother we should let you all burn!

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I learned it from a book

over a year ago

Aired on tv in the days of real classic comedy..its not the same anymore...whatever you do dont ever mention the Spanish Inquisition

over a year ago

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Basil Fawlty based on real hotel owner Donald Sinclair.Gleneagles hotel, Torquay ..

When the Python team stopped there,he'd get angry if wrong size teapot placed out...

If a python actor was going out at night he'd bellow

"And where do you think you're going "?..

John cleese remembered him and wrote the script with Connie .

By *ittleRed18Woman
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"I learned it from a book "

One of my favourite scenes!

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

It's a Siberian hamster.

By *ust PeachyWoman
over a year ago

Prestonish

"Recently I watched this comedy masterpiece for the first time a couple weeks back and finished the last two episodes this past weekend. Hilarious is an understatement for this brief series.

Though all were hilarious, The Germans, the psychiatrist and the kipper and the corpse were sheer brilliance.

Over to you "

How on earth have you only watched it for the first time my lovely?

I grew up with it. I don’t recall specific episodes but it made me laugh a lot. As a child I particularly liked Manuel!

By *hillout OP   Man
over a year ago

"Recently I watched this comedy masterpiece for the first time a couple weeks back and finished the last two episodes this past weekend. Hilarious is an understatement for this brief series.

Over to you

How on earth have you only watched it for the first time my lovely?

I grew up with it. I don’t recall specific episodes but it made me laugh a lot. As a child I particularly liked Manuel! "

Better late than never!

Manuel....que??

Post new Message to Thread