FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Question for the teachers and parents on Fab....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It is now protocol to asked students what pronouns they would like to be addressed as...

You can choose Him/he/His , Her/hers/she’s , They , them....

Is this also being implemented in the British education system?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not that I know of. But that’s nice that it’s being implemented.

When I worked with kids I never said ‘your mum’ or ‘your dad’

I said ‘your parents’ or ‘your grown ups’

I worked with kids from dysfunctional backgrounds, sometimes they didn’t live with a mum or dad.

I know it’s totally different to correct pronouns, but it’s about being inclusive

over a year ago

"Not that I know of. But that’s nice that it’s being implemented.

I worked with kids from dysfunctional backgrounds, sometimes they didn’t live with a mum or dad.

I know it’s totally different to correct pronouns, but it’s about being inclusive "

I used to love receiving my fathers day card when my daughter was younger lol

over a year ago

I know it’s totally different to correct pronouns, but it’s about being inclusive

I used to love receiving my fathers day card when my daughter was younger lol "

Oh bless!

We didn’t do stuff like that either...the kids were asked if they wanted to make a card, but it wasn’t a set activity if you get me

By *umblefunMan
over a year ago

London/ South East

I know it’s totally different to correct pronouns, but it’s about being inclusive "

This is so right. Society is so focussed on gender that we forget it should be all about Inclusivity.....good shout Your Majesty !

over a year ago

"

I used to love receiving my fathers day card when my daughter was younger lol

Oh bless!

We didn’t do stuff like that either...the kids were asked if they wanted to make a card, but it wasn’t a set activity if you get me"

The school my daughter attends is pretty small (24 in a year group) and its common knowledge that her father has never been an active roll in her life so although i wasn't bothered by it and did laugh it off, to someone else it could have been a massive deal.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"It is now protocol to asked students what pronouns they would like to be addressed as...

Is this also being implemented in the British education system? "

This system has been implemented in my workplace yes

By *hilltoofarMan
over a year ago

Bournemouth

As most teachers now seem to use the American 'you guys', I am not sure that it matters much!

over a year ago

"It is now protocol to asked students what pronouns they would like to be addressed as...

Is this also being implemented in the British education system?

This system has been implemented in my workplace yes "

What age are the children?

You can reply privately, if you don’t want to expose yourself....

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

No.

over a year ago

I see it from both sides and my take on it is 'you can't please them all'

While I am all for inclusion I do wonder that if by using none gender specific language are we taking identity away from little girls and boys who know and are aware of their gender? Are we making an issue of it when there is no need too? Drawing attention to it if you will.

What about consent? We as parents make decisions surrounding our children because small children don't have the capacity to understand. I mean if my little boy is happy as a boy and I know that he is then I would like him to be referred too as a boy, not as a none gender specific because that then gets him querying why his gender isn't recognised, which in turn can cause all manner of issues.

It's complex

That said I have worked in early years for a long time and I always refer to the room name rather than "boys and girls" if I want groups attention

I work with 16 month olds now and if I want their attention I shout "Avengers Assemble" and they all come running to me

over a year ago

"I see it from both sides and my take on it is 'you can't please them all'

While I am all for inclusion I do wonder that if by using none gender specific language are we taking identity away from little girls and boys who know and are aware of their gender? Are we making an issue of it when there is no need too? Drawing attention to it if you will.

What about consent? We as parents make decisions surrounding our children because small children don't have the capacity to understand. I mean if my little boy is happy as a boy and I know that he is then I would like him to be referred too as a boy, not as a none gender specific because that then gets him querying why his gender isn't recognised, which in turn can cause all manner of issues.

It's complex

That said I have worked in early years for a long time and I always refer to the room name rather than "boys and girls" if I want groups attention

I work with 16 month olds now and if I want their attention I shout "Avengers Assemble" and they all come running to me "

You are 100 percent correct......

Out of say 60 students, I have maybe 1 or 2 they maybe trans or non binary.....

The others kinda look at me like “ you can call me by my name “

By *leasureaddictWoman
over a year ago

Sheffield

It's complex

I work with 16 month olds now and if I want their attention I shout "Avengers Assemble" and they all come running to me "

My 5yo would have come running for that too.. Avengers obsessed. He thinks he's bloody spiderman at times!

I was on our pta at school and a lot of the children came from households with seperated parents or one parent wasn't around. On fathers day/mothers day, we always used to make sure we didn't use mum or dad, just a special lady/gentleman, then the kids who didn't have or want to do it for mum or dad could do it for another significant adult in their life. X

over a year ago

It's complex

I work with 16 month olds now and if I want their attention I shout "Avengers Assemble" and they all come running to me

You are 100 percent correct......

Out of say 60 students, I have maybe 1 or 2 they maybe trans or non binary.....

The others kinda look at me like “ you can call me by my name “"

Exactly. And by excluding a demograph you are not being inclusive...Not sure what the answer is, I guess referring to a group it is wise to stick to non gender specifics. But to individuals their preferred identity if you know it.

Like I say the issue is far too complex

over a year ago

It's complex

My 5yo would have come running for that too.. Avengers obsessed. He thinks he's bloody spiderman at times!

I was on our pta at school and a lot of the children came from households with seperated parents or one parent wasn't around. On fathers day/mothers day, we always used to make sure we didn't use mum or dad, just a special lady/gentleman, then the kids who didn't have or want to do it for mum or dad could do it for another significant adult in their life. X "

Awww bless him! I love Superheroes too! And I know it causes controversy is the play camp since 'Superhero play' is a recognised playtype but I love it, Superheros for me are about positive empowerment and being in touch with who you are and what you stand for, as well as promoting empathy.

We do that too with regards to special days, if the child is pld enough they choose who they are making it for, if not then it is left generic open to interpretation by the parent as they wish.

I love my job, all the more during Autumn and Winter

over a year ago

It's complex

..."

Post new Message to Thread