Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Less Bugs

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've noticed the last few years each summer there are less and less bugs around. Last year wasps and bees would fly in my window the second I opened it but this year almost none. Haven't seen any big moths either or the bigger spiders...

Anyone else noticing bug numbers declining in your area??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

I currently have four massive spiders waltzing around my living room so they are about the same up here

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Actually I have; When I was a child, turning over any log or paving slab would always reveal a wealth of insect and arachnid life to my curious (if a little wary) eyes; beetles, centipedes, earwigs, spiders, worms, snails and slugs.

Now, apart from wood lice, there seems to be a huge and sad decline in the numbers.

In turn there appear to be less garden birds also

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I see fewer splatting my windscreen but lots in our garden this summer. We planted wild flowers and sunflowers and we had tons of creepy crawlies and wingéd creatures

By *aveed74Man
over a year ago

a round and a bout Midlands

The natural world is fucked. We are playing out the endgame.

By *ongueTwistererMan
over a year ago

telford/ shrewsbury/ bridgnorth/ wolverhampton

"Actually I have; When I was a child, turning over any log or paving slab would always reveal a wealth of insect and arachnid life to my curious (if a little wary) eyes; beetles, centipedes, earwigs, spiders, worms, snails and slugs.

Now, apart from wood lice, there seems to be a huge and sad decline in the numbers.

"

Are you sure its just that your not turning over as many logs or looking for them as much as you would do when you were younger.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"Actually I have; When I was a child, turning over any log or paving slab would always reveal a wealth of insect and arachnid life to my curious (if a little wary) eyes; beetles, centipedes, earwigs, spiders, worms, snails and slugs.

Are you sure its just that your not turning over as many logs or looking for them as much as you would do when you were younger."

I admittedly don’t search for the little critters as much these days but I have recently on a number of occasions been trying to get my little niece used to insects in order that she won’t be scared of them and noticed the distinct absence of numbers and indeed variety whilst doing so

By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"The natural world is fucked. We are playing out the endgame."

David Attenborough has a new one off program - one life on our planet. Will open your eyes to the real end game, many lump in the throat moments.

He calls it his witness statement to the horrors that await us as a race if things are not changed with our current lifestyle.

It's 1hr 20 of must see video

By *inkySeeKinkyDoWoman
over a year ago

'tween PontyCarlo & CasVegas in West Yorks

I think its cos theyre all living here at mine rent free the cheeky little blighters

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I read a report a few years back that this country was losing approximately 4 species of insect a month, which I found hard to believe. It was a study from the rspb which was recording a drop in the song bird population. The reason on the whole was that we were too tidy these days with our gardens and more people own land without having come from a land owning background. I ve always managed the woodland the old ways and at the time of this paper the National Trust changed their policy on the disposal of leaves and brushwood etc. Vital for insects which then bring the songbirds.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

We have a steady number of birds and insects with lots of species of birds come to feed down here before taking off on migration. This because we have controlled national parks and nature reserves which are managed wild spaces with livestock.

Unfortunately the mosquito population has boomed this year and my legs are falling victim on a regular basis and I don't normally get bitten often

over a year ago

"We have a steady number of birds and insects with lots of species of birds come to feed down here before taking off on migration. This because we have controlled national parks and nature reserves which are managed wild spaces with livestock.

Unfortunately the mosquito population has boomed this year and my legs are falling victim on a regular basis and I don't normally get bitten often "

My problem this year was horseflies...but its my working choice so tis what it is. The right management of even the smallest space helps...even if it means leaving a scruffy overgrown corner in the garden. The farmer whose wood I manage has quit with modern chemicals. His fields have been put back to a medieval herbal and grass mix. Which means piles of colour but its still as efficient and productive as modern farm methods. The insects and bird population has risen because of it.

over a year ago

I grew a lot of wildflowers in my garden which attracted a lot of bees and down at the end there was a buddelia which they call a butterfly bush but I’ve never see so many butterflies all different types on it all throughout summer it was really nice

over a year ago

"I currently have four massive spiders waltzing around my living room so they are about the same up here "

I like the spindley spiders but the bigger, speedy one I still keep an eye on.... See what their up to

Are your 4 spiders spindley?

By *uvhandle20Man
over a year ago

SE London

I had a lot of bees and even butterflies in the garden this summer, but I noticed that a lot of birds have disappeared.

Oh, and a number of spiders asked if they can stay over winter, they like the bedroom walls and the ceiling over my bed

over a year ago

Actually the opposite, always see spiders about the house I couldn’t dream of killing one, if I have my doors and windows open flies and the occasional bee/wasp, I must admit Iv not seen as many butterflies of late x

over a year ago

"Actually the opposite, always see spiders about the house I couldn’t dream of killing one, if I have my doors and windows open flies and the occasional bee/wasp, I must admit Iv not seen as many butterflies of late x "

I used to kill all spiders until I saw one flinch when I put a shoe near it. It totally changed my view so never kill them now.

over a year ago

"I've noticed the last few years each summer there are less and less bugs around. Last year wasps and bees would fly in my window the second I opened it but this year almost none. Haven't seen any big moths either or the bigger spiders...

Anyone else noticing bug numbers declining in your area?? "

Hmm not sure but it’s the usual amount of crane flies this year

over a year ago

"The natural world is fucked. We are playing out the endgame.

David Attenborough has a new one off program - one life on our planet. Will open your eyes to the real end game, many lump in the throat moments.

He calls it his witness statement to the horrors that await us as a race if things are not changed with our current lifestyle.

It's 1hr 20 of must see video "

I seen this it’s disheartening and makes u feel ashamed as humans and as drastically shocking as it is, most people will carry on regardless as it won’t be this generation that suffer

over a year ago

Are you sure its just that your not turning over as many logs or looking for them as much as you would do when you were younger."

I loved doing this as a kid, catching slow worms even lizards crickets etc

over a year ago

"

Hmm not sure but it’s the usual amount of crane flies this year "

Are they the same as dragon flies?

over a year ago

We did snail races at my primary school