Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Motivation bottomed out

Jump to newest

By *awk90 OP   Man
over a year ago

Amsterdam

Please help! I can't seem to find that spark at work this week... Any ideas on how to get there?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ankie303Woman
over a year ago

Weirdsville South Coast Dorset

I seemed to of left my motivation at work so I'm hibernating till I go back tomorrow

By *awk90 OP   Man
over a year ago

Amsterdam

Yeah, I wish I could just hibernate away for a while... Sadly there are deadlines coming at me way too fast

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

After a week off I've logged on to over 700 emails...how I wish that I could just delete them all

By *awk90 OP   Man
over a year ago

Amsterdam

"After a week off I've logged on to over 700 emails...how I wish that I could just delete them all "

Oh dear...

I hate that about taking time off. It just means more work once back, sort of defeating the purpose :/

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

"After a week off I've logged on to over 700 emails...how I wish that I could just delete them all

Oh dear...

I hate that about taking time off. It just means more work once back, sort of defeating the purpose :/"

Yeah, but I'm super chilled after a lovely break, so I'm just sat with a cuppa going through them...and doing a bit of procrastination on here

By *awk90 OP   Man
over a year ago

Amsterdam

"

Yeah, but I'm super chilled after a lovely break, so I'm just sat with a cuppa going through them...and doing a bit of procrastination on here "

Oh, that does sound nice though!

As long as no one is breathing down your neck to get all the emails done within an hour, it's all good!

I'm trying to write on my thesis, but I'm just so out of motivation... So I too end up procrastinating

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Watch some papa swolio on YouTube

over a year ago

Try working a night shift the minute you get there just after 10 at night your motivation is literally left your body

over a year ago

"After a week off I've logged on to over 700 emails...how I wish that I could just delete them all "

I’m the idiot that’s been reading my emails while off

over a year ago

"After a week off I've logged on to over 700 emails..."

It's none of my business but 700 emails in one week!?

If that's average then there are some serious efficiency problems with your job. Either you had a load of them in your inbox before you took the week off, or your entire job must consist only of responding to emails.

over a year ago

700 emails in a week.

imagine if that was actual mail.

makes you think doesnt it

By *awk90 OP   Man
over a year ago

Amsterdam

"700 emails in a week.

imagine if that was actual mail.

makes you think doesnt it"

The forests are definitely happy email was invented...

By *awk90 OP   Man
over a year ago

Amsterdam

"

I’m the idiot that’s been reading my emails while off "

I do this too, and then I stress about not replying! Very silly

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

I was taught a new thing recently, in that motivation is purely an emotion and it will pass. Like anger, or sadness. All emotions can feel overwhelming, but they will pass eventually.

What you need here is to reconnect to the purpose, the passion, of what you're doing. Why are you doing it? What will it bring you?

Maybe if you can stand back and answer those questions you will feel better about it.

If not, you'll need to query why you're bothering with it at all....

Hope this helps, and good luck OP!

By *ister_ee_1981Man
over a year ago

Sunniest Exeter...

If you would like a president, a large insurance company I used to work for had, at one point, a 20,000 case backlog. The chief exec made the decision to bin the lot! He said, "we are never going to clear this, so if there is anything urgent in there, it will be requested again" So go on, select all those emails and bin them all!

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"After a week off I've logged on to over 700 emails...

It's none of my business but 700 emails in one week!?

If that's average then there are some serious efficiency problems with your job. Either you had a load of them in your inbox before you took the week off, or your entire job must consist only of responding to emails. "

Okaaaay, so you have no idea what the job is, yet you are saying there are serious efficiency problems.

That's 100 a day.

Still less than some women get on here.

If a shop had 100 customers a day would you say they're inefficient? No, you'd say they seem to be doing well. So why is 100 emails a day any different?

By *awk90 OP   Man
over a year ago

Amsterdam

"I was taught a new thing recently, in that motivation is purely an emotion and it will pass. Like anger, or sadness. All emotions can feel overwhelming, but they will pass eventually.

What you need here is to reconnect to the purpose, the passion, of what you're doing. Why are you doing it? What will it bring you?

Maybe if you can stand back and answer those questions you will feel better about it.

Hope this helps, and good luck OP! "

Thank you! This is in theory useful. I'll try to have a think.

Currently I am not sure why I bother at all, but I think that's just the autumn darkness talking

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"I was taught a new thing recently, in that motivation is purely an emotion and it will pass. Like anger, or sadness. All emotions can feel overwhelming, but they will pass eventually.

Currently I am not sure why I bother at all, but I think that's just the autumn darkness talking"

It can be really fucking hard when the motivation is literally to keep a roof over your head. Knowing you're working yourself sick for zero luxuries

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

Currently I am not sure why I bother at all, but I think that's just the autumn darkness talking

It can be really fucking hard when the motivation is literally to keep a roof over your head. Knowing you're working yourself sick for zero luxuries "

Agreed. I'm in that situation at the moment, but am taking time to think about what I actually want to do and will get myself back out looking for a new job. Not great timing I know, but hopefully something good will come of it

By *umblefunMan
over a year ago

London/ South East

Never mind the emails.... I agree OP I’ve lost all my motivation too. It trailed out of the door a week ago... I need it back!

Post new Message to Thread