Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Scientists have discovered ‘superhabitable’ planets

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Scientists have discovered 24 'superhabitable' planets with conditions that are better for life than Earth

Using a list of criteria, researchers identified a total of 24 planets which could be habitable out of a known 4,500.

All these planets are more than 100 lights years away, so we won’t be visiting them anytime soon. But the question is, not if there’s intelligent life out there, that’s in question, but what do they look like, why haven’t they said hi, have we been ghosted, have they seen the kind of shit that’s goes on here and are decided to stay away.

Or for some bizarre reason you think we are alone in the universe or like me, you know the truth, that the universe is teeming with intelligent life but they are all avoiding us and who can blame them ?!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Love this!

I think there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. Whether that are capable of making it to our solar system who knows, but if they have made it and are watching without contact..then I'd say they know our civilization is on the cusp of something important, possibly AI, and the idea then is to let us make this advancement before saying "Hello space-neighbours!"

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

Wales

They’re probably watching ET, Star Wars and Independence Day to find out our weak spots.

You heard it here first.

over a year ago

"They’re probably watching ET, Star Wars and Independence Day to find out our weak spots.

You heard it here first.

Saccharine, Sentimental endings to sci fi films ?

"

over a year ago

"They’re probably watching ET, Star Wars and Independence Day to find out our weak spots.

You heard it here first.

"

Saccharine, Sentimental endings to sci-fi films ?

over a year ago

You heard it here first.

"

They used an Apple Macintosh Powerbook 5300 to defeat the aliens in Independence Day. That's when I realised it wasn't a documentary

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

Wales

You heard it here first.

Saccharine, Sentimental endings to sci-fi films ?"

Yep. They’ll know we’re all a sucker for a happy ending.

By *akbearMan
over a year ago

Newbury

It's almost certain there is life out there, but is it a life as we recognise it?

Or possibly more likely they've been here, seen how intelligent we are and have left before we drag them down to our level.

over a year ago

I think they have visited and they were so disgusted they won't be back. They helped build the pyramids and thought humans would learn from them. But they didn't.

By *unmatt888Man
over a year ago

Duns

"Scientists have discovered 24 'superhabitable' planets with conditions that are better for life than Earth

Using a list of criteria, researchers identified a total of 24 planets which could be habitable out of a known 4,500.

All these planets are more than 100 lights years away, so we won’t be visiting them anytime soon. But the question is, not if there’s intelligent life out there, that’s in question, but what do they look like, why haven’t they said hi, have we been ghosted, have they seen the kind of shit that’s goes on here and are decided to stay away.

Or for some bizarre reason you think we are alone in the universe or like me, you know the truth, that the universe is teeming with intelligent life but they are all avoiding us and who can blame them ?!

"

Serious answer - we've had life on this planet for billions of years, and in that time precisely one species has had any means of making itself known to anyone else in space, and then only for the last hundred-odd years. Logically, if there is life out there there are probably millions of planets with life but without the ability to make radio waves, satellites, cheesecakes, suspension bridges, tumble driers and coat hangers.

over a year ago

"Scientists have discovered 24 'superhabitable' planets with conditions that are better for life than Earth

Serious answer - we've had life on this planet for billions of years, and in that time precisely one species has had any means of making itself known to anyone else in space, and then only for the last hundred-odd years. Logically, if there is life out there there are probably millions of planets with life but without the ability to make radio waves, satellites, cheesecakes, suspension bridges, tumble driers and coat hangers."

No cheesecake??? Then why the heck are we trying to find them?!

By *arex2Couple
over a year ago

Bradford

"

Trust me, they're not avoiding us. I've had six ufo sightings when I used to work early mornings. Absolutely astonishing phenomena!! They are here for sure and I don't think it'll be too long before we know the truth...

By *heslimoneMan
over a year ago

Deeside

Personally i choose to believe we are not alone, i think the odds are likely in favour of other intelligent species out there but being a little bit devils advocate there is not just the number of habitable planets to consider but also abiogenesis, add to that the time it takes a civilization to advance and all the things that can wipe it out during that time and you have to narrow the odds. As for knowing about us our radio signals haven't been out there long enough to reach the nearest star and any advanced species still needs to overcome issues surrounding ftl travel.

Against all that i still think the odds are good that some alien will send city jeans a message on here.

By *siancouplehantsCouple
over a year ago

K-PAX

If there is no life out there then its a hell of a waste if space

over a year ago

"Personally i choose to believe we are not alone, i think the odds are likely in favour of other intelligent species out there but being a little bit devils advocate there is not just the number of habitable planets to consider but also abiogenesis, add to that the time it takes a civilization to advance and all the things that can wipe it out during that time and you have to narrow the odds. As for knowing about us our radio signals haven't been out there long enough to reach the nearest star and any advanced species still needs to overcome issues surrounding ftl travel.

Against all that i still think the odds are good that some alien will send city jeans a message on here."

I’ve blocked aliens, but they still get through my filters

By *heslimoneMan
over a year ago

Deeside

"Personally i choose to believe we are not alone, i think the odds are likely in favour of other intelligent species out there but being a little bit devils advocate there is not just the number of habitable planets to consider but also abiogenesis, add to that the time it takes a civilization to advance and all the things that can wipe it out during that time and you have to narrow the odds. As for knowing about us our radio signals haven't been out there long enough to reach the nearest star and any advanced species still needs to overcome issues surrounding ftl travel.

Against all that i still think the odds are good that some alien will send city jeans a message on here.

I’ve blocked aliens, but they still get through my filters "

Sec let me test

By *unmatt888Man
over a year ago

Duns

Serious answer - we've had life on this planet for billions of years, and in that time precisely one species has had any means of making itself known to anyone else in space, and then only for the last hundred-odd years. Logically, if there is life out there there are probably millions of planets with life but without the ability to make radio waves, satellites, cheesecakes, suspension bridges, tumble driers and coat hangers.

No cheesecake??? Then why the heck are we trying to find them?! "

Maybe they have tiramisu.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman
over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

They are waiting for us to achieve warp speed, have you not seen First Contact

over a year ago

How fucked up would it be if conditions on their world were dam near exact to ours and when they show up they look just like us? Except, the men have super long dicks that have stopped working and the women are all sexy and in need of a good dicking. Beam me up

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

Let’s hope there’s intelligent life on other planets.

Because it’s sadly lacking on this one recently.

over a year ago

True story....

Aliens DID pass very close to Earth fairly recently.

One Alien said to the Pilot "Oooh look intelligent life , they've got nuclear weapons orbiting in space".

The pilot Alien said

"Na, they've got them pointing inwards"!.

over a year ago

Well, first you have to think of the energy and timescales involved in travelling here.

Also that not only is there distance but time scales to take into account ( we have not been on this planet that long but life has, just not us so life may exist but in a different time frame to us or visited when we are not around)

Also if something has the resources to get here you would imagine they are on a scientific mission and therefore would observe but would not interfere.

And we live on a planet in the suburbs of a very unfashionable galaxy and we treat the place like sh1t so why would any self respecting species want to go to the ‘council estate’ of the universe except to bring the kids and say ..... and that’s what happens if you don’t do your homework or clean your room!!

over a year ago

If the nearest planet with intelligent life is 100 light years away, and we've only been transmitting radio waves for just over 100 years, and actively sending out dedicated radio waves for less than that, how long will it take it for the nearest planet to detect us? Will they be able to recognise our radio waves for what they are; we can detect incoming radio and other electromagnetic bursts, but we cannot distinguish between a natural phenomenon or a purposely sent signal, nor we cannot decipher them and reply. Once we can understand each other, how long will it take to travel the vast distances, given that there's a good chance our planets could be travelling away from each other?

over a year ago

Would you tell a bully where you lived?

Yet we send out radio signals..etc telling any resource seekers where we are..

over a year ago

I do believe there are other life forms out there, so much of space has been unexplored so it would be pretty narrow minded to assume that life on earth was the only life force.

Nasa space craft have plaques on their craft; depicting a figure of a Man and Woman and Earths

coordinates in our solar system, that's pretty awesome tbh.

Love anything to do with Extra terrestrial form and UFO or alien Craft (bearing in mind UFO is exactly that, unidentifiable, doesn't necessarily mean alien)

The Foo Fighters is a fascinating phenomena

over a year ago

"It's almost certain there is life out there"

No it isn't.

As yet there's absolutely no evidence for it whatsover. All there is is speculation based on probability.

over a year ago

"It's almost certain there is life out there

No it isn't.

As yet there's absolutely no evidence for it whatsover. All there is is speculation based on probability. "

Er, yes it is, I have no doubt there is, it’s highly unlikely we are alone, due to vastness of the universe.

over a year ago

No it isn't.

As yet there's absolutely no evidence for it whatsover. All there is is speculation based on probability. "

No evidence that you are aware of

By *heslimoneMan
over a year ago

Deeside

No it isn't.

They recently discovered chemicals thought only to be created by life on venus

over a year ago

Personally I believe they are here and amongst us. Not literally on Fab, that would be fucked up. Though it might explain a few of the profiles......

over a year ago

Isn't there a monolith on one of Jupiter's moons that scientists think couldn't be naturally made?

over a year ago

No it isn't.

As yet there's absolutely no evidence for it whatsover. All there is is speculation based on probability.

They recently discovered chemicals thought only to be created by life on venus"

The speculation of probability is based on the definition of infinity in both space and time dimensions ....

over a year ago

The other main factor is time. We have only had the ability to potentially communicate with other systems for last 20 years . Other systems may have tried to communicate billions of years ago. We could be ahead or behind by millions of billions of years.

Other life forms could have died out or are millions of years of evolution behind

over a year ago

Abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. It would be arrogant to believe in the vastness of universe we are the only planet with life. But life can be in so many different forms, some we maybe not even be able to see or acknowledge.

over a year ago

"Abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. It would be arrogant to believe in the vastness of universe we are the only planet with life. But life can be in so many different forms, some we maybe not even be able to see or acknowledge. "

That's close to what Helen Sharman, female astronaut once said... 'The aliens could be among us now in the form we cannot see/understand, as we have no idea what what dark matter is..

over a year ago

I use to think that they were to far away for us to ever know but the recent ufo videos taken by pilots are very interesting.

I imagine there are many habitable planets and some with intelligent life on them, maybe one with dinosaurs living on it like earth once was.

Some with life and plants like our own and others unrecognisable. I think it is stupid to think that we are alone in this vast cosmic arena.

over a year ago

I’ve said this before on here

I like the idea that we might be the start of intelligent life and eventually we will spread it all over the galaxy and universe and by way of that and depending on conditions create many sub-species of ourselves

over a year ago

"Personally I believe they are here and amongst us. Not literally on Fab, that would be fucked up. Though it might explain a few of the profiles......"

They are here and living inside us...give it up for the mighty mitochondria!

over a year ago

"Abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. It would be arrogant to believe in the vastness of universe we are the only planet with life. But life can be in so many different forms, some we maybe not even be able to see or acknowledge. "

over a year ago

im sure whatever is out there wants nothing to do with us.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Trust me, they're not avoiding us. I've had six ufo sightings when I used to work early mornings. Absolutely astonishing phenomena!! They are here for sure and I don't think it'll be too long before we know the truth..."

They will not land while covid is around

By *heslimoneMan
over a year ago

Deeside

If you are in to all things space and aliens but also grounded and realistic check out a guy called Isaac Arthur on youtube, tons of videos that dig really deep in to all kinds of space exploation and colonisation.

over a year ago

"If you are in to all things space and aliens but also grounded and realistic check out a guy called Isaac Arthur on youtube, tons of videos that dig really deep in to all kinds of space exploation and colonisation. "

Yea and event horizon

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

If the ISS live feed revealed images of genuine UFO/Alien spacecrafts

1) would they hide it?

2) would people believe it were true anyway?

over a year ago

"If the ISS live feed revealed images of genuine UFO/Alien spacecrafts

1) would they hide it?

2) would people believe it were true anyway?"

With so many "Joe Public"people with astronomical gadgets,super powerful telescopes etc,I doubt any government or even joint governments could hide any incoming aliens....

to appease our new overlords, I'd recommend keeping your cupboards full of Cadburys Smash..,( don't let them see us peeling potatoes with our little knives) .

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"I’ve said this before on here

I like the idea that we might be the start of intelligent life and eventually we will spread it all over the galaxy and universe and by way of that and depending on conditions create many sub-species of ourselves "

It's arguably a sad look out for the rest of the universe if we're the best that's available

over a year ago

I like the idea that we might be the start of intelligent life and eventually we will spread it all over the galaxy and universe and by way of that and depending on conditions create many sub-species of ourselves

It's arguably a sad look out for the rest of the universe if we're the best that's available "

Haha mate if we survive long enough to be in a position to colonise the cosmos then we must have upped our game

over a year ago

In the future,

when Alpha Centura(bastard)has crashed into our Milky Way...

The only thing left tootling along will be the voyager space probe,as long as it doesn't bang its head on something,

with possibly no Earth left..Any aliens would think we were just a bunch of lying so and so's..

over a year ago

"Abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. It would be arrogant to believe in the vastness of universe we are the only planet with life. "

On this thread yesterday I took issue with the claim that it is "almost certain" that life exists in the universe beyond earth. I simply made the point that as yet there was no hard evidence, and so by any reasonably scientific methodology there was no basis for claiming any degree of certitude on the matter.

Predictably I had a lot of objections from people saying that due to the vastness of the universe it was highly unlikely that life was exclusive to this planet. Again I reiterate my point that probability is a purely speculative/mathematical construct and therefore cannot be used as evidence for the existence of something.

The comment quoted above is presumably also meant as an objection to my comment. I agree that the absence of evidence does not prove non-existence, but I find it interesting that the argument here is borrowed from that used by religious groups made in favour of the existence of God! Science claims that the existence of God is untenable due to the lack of evidence, and believers reply that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

You can't have it both ways. If you believe in the strict methodology of science in determining what's real, then you cannot in all good conscience claim that extra-terrestrial life is almost certain. By all means you can still believe that it is, but that belief is not based on scientific evidence as such but on 'faith' in science and more importantly, on our ability to correctly comprehend the vast complexity of the universe at all.

Sorry for the rant and I expect it will fall on deaf ears, but for the record I am neither arguing against the existence of ET or for the existence of the God!

I have no dog it that race

over a year ago

Well that's another thread I've killed. Sorry Op

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Life has to start somewhere and it could be Earth which is the starting point. In other words, there is no other life out there until we reach out ourselves.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I like the idea that we might be the start of intelligent life and eventually we will spread it all over the galaxy and universe and by way of that and depending on conditions create many sub-species of ourselves "

Sorry see my previous post...stole your idea!

over a year ago

"

Quite funny how “Aliens” roll there eyes at us

By *lutonicMan
over a year ago

Leicester

[Removed by poster at 12/10/20 14:46:05]

over a year ago

"

It’s a strange thing to think of and a bit off topic, but I think the matrix has the human pinned down the best.

There is a scene in the film where agent smith calls humans a virus. But he isn’t far from the truth.

As an animal on the planet we take and don’t give back and ravage the food chain for monetary gain.

So if I was an advanced form of life looking at us from afar, I’d keep us at arms length as well.

By *arry WindsorMan
over a year ago

Heaton Park Manchester

"

Personally I suspect that they are ignoring us because we have no verifications.

over a year ago

Weird how Earth is the only inhabitable planet in our solar system and we all live on it, what are the odds.

By *heslimoneMan
over a year ago

Deeside

"Weird how Earth is the only inhabitable planet in our solar system and we all live on it, what are the odds. "

Sometimes i wish i didn't

By *irenGuy70Man
over a year ago

Cirencester

"I think they have visited and they were so disgusted they won't be back. They helped build the pyramids and thought humans would learn from them. But they didn't.

"

I don't know what you're talking about, we've got pyramid-shaped teabags nowadays . Not to mention one-man tents, metronomes, toblerone and the Louvre. The aliens would've been proud if they had bothered to stick around, or at the very least stayed in touch.

over a year ago

Why is Miss Universe always won by someone from Earth ?

over a year ago

"I think they have visited and they were so disgusted they won't be back. They helped build the pyramids and thought humans would learn from them. But they didn't.

I don't know what you're talking about, we've got pyramid-shaped teabags nowadays . Not to mention one-man tents, metronomes, toblerone and the Louvre. The aliens would've been proud if they had bothered to stick around, or at the very least stayed in touch. "

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

I don’t blame them but they might be all ugly buggers

over a year ago

Sorry see my previous post...stole your idea!"

Mate no worries

over a year ago

If aliens landed,and say "take me to your leader" ,the leader of the free world is Donald Trump!

Aren't we lucky.

over a year ago

Probably inhabited by women who’re swamped with messages from other planets.

No reply = no interest.

Get over it

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

"Weird how Earth is the only inhabitable planet in our solar system and we all live on it, what are the odds. "

There was a BBC documentary last year (i think) by Brian Cox and he said other planets in our solar thousands and thousands of years ago would likely have had current earth-like conditions and may have harboured life.

By *atonMan
over a year ago

barnet

"

Its not unthinkable that we are alone..see fermi paradox and drakes equation. If the universe was indeed teeming with life and bare in mind several constellations are much older than ours giving them a huge head start , we would have heard something by now. When you consider the several catastrophic events that happened in the our planets past ..pure freak events that had they not occurred we wouldn't exist, it seems almost a miracle that we do. The odds on us being here are so hugely prohibitive it would be like winning the lottery every week for a year. A cosmologist analagised that it is like an explosion in a junkyard and the result is a fully formed 747 jet. All those events would have to be replicated elsewhere . Fantastic though it sounds in a universe with more stars than grains of sand on this planet its possible we are alone.

over a year ago

"Weird how Earth is the only inhabitable planet in our solar system and we all live on it, what are the odds.

There was a BBC documentary last year (i think) by Brian Cox and he said other planets in our solar thousands and thousands of years ago would likely have had current earth-like conditions and may have harboured life."

Mars quite likely...love them to find definite microbial life on Mars in my lifetime..from that we can conclude some form of life has to be out there...

over a year ago

"Abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. It would be arrogant to believe in the vastness of universe we are the only planet with life.

On this thread yesterday I took issue with the claim that it is "almost certain" that life exists in the universe beyond earth. I simply made the point that as yet there was no hard evidence, and so by any reasonably scientific methodology there was no basis for claiming any degree of certitude on the matter.

Predictably I had a lot of objections from people saying that due to the vastness of the universe it was highly unlikely that life was exclusive to this planet. Again I reiterate my point that probability is a purely speculative/mathematical construct and therefore cannot be used as evidence for the existence of something.

The comment quoted above is presumably also meant as an objection to my comment. I agree that the absence of evidence does not prove non-existence, but I find it interesting that the argument here is borrowed from that used by religious groups made in favour of the existence of God! Science claims that the existence of God is untenable due to the lack of evidence, and believers reply that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

You can't have it both ways. If you believe in the strict methodology of science in determining what's real, then you cannot in all good conscience claim that extra-terrestrial life is almost certain. By all means you can still believe that it is, but that belief is not based on scientific evidence as such but on 'faith' in science and more importantly, on our ability to correctly comprehend the vast complexity of the universe at all.

Sorry for the rant and I expect it will fall on deaf ears, but for the record I am neither arguing against the existence of ET or for the existence of the God!

I have no dog it that race "

Hey no, sorry its not at all...I worded things maybe too harshly. And it was not based on any faith in anyone or thing. It was merely a statement of an open mind, which is just me...its me saying we know too little of our own planet and new species are turning up all the time that would not have been believed in past years. There are creatures that live in deep oceanic thermals of thousands of degrees, I believe Bob Ballard was one of the first to discover them using the same kit that he used to find the titanic. It wasn t aimed at any individual, more at human kind in general. Im sorry if I offended, that was not my intent.

over a year ago

Is there life on Uranus ?

Certainly none on mine.

By *atonMan
over a year ago

barnet

I must add that yes the universe will be teeming with bacterial life but the scarcity or non existence of mammalian type intelligent life is possible

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Its not unthinkable that we are alone..see fermi paradox and drakes equation. If the universe was indeed teeming with life and bare in mind several constellations are much older than ours giving them a huge head start , we would have heard something by now. When you consider the several catastrophic events that happened in the our planets past ..pure freak events that had they not occurred we wouldn't exist, it seems almost a miracle that we do. The odds on us being here are so hugely prohibitive it would be like winning the lottery every week for a year. A cosmologist analagised that it is like an explosion in a junkyard and the result is a fully formed 747 jet. All those events would have to be replicated elsewhere . Fantastic though it sounds in a universe with more stars than grains of sand on this planet its possible we are alone."

I think you've misunderstood Fred Hoyle's 747 argument that was put forward as an argument against abiogenesis. It is flawed as it tries to calculate the chances of complex life appearing fully formed rather than as a continuous process starting with simple self perpetuating chemical reactions. There is a great deal we don't understand about how life started (or even how it could) but no one believes complex life forms (even 'simple' cells are complex in this regard) suddenly appeared by random chance.

Mr

over a year ago

You know when you start a thread, but then you feel out of your depth and you feel Like Joey in Friends when everyone’s talking using big words he doesn’t understand, but he’s nods in agreement anyway.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

I don't know what you're talking about, we've got pyramid-shaped teabags nowadays . Not to mention one-man tents, metronomes, toblerone and the Louvre. The aliens would've been proud if they had bothered to stick around, or at the very least stayed in touch.

"

I've always wondered why it is that a life form with the technology required to cross interstellar space would travel all this way to teach people how to build simple geometric shapes from stone and nothing else? If they were going to be helpful then perhaps they could have taught how to produce steel in industrial quantities or the basics of thermo-dynamics so that steam power could be utilised but no, it was really important that people knew how to shift whopping great lumps of stone.

For anyone answering that we weren't ready for more advanced technology, don't forget that the ancients knew about as much as was rediscovered during the enlightenment. They were not stupid at all.

Mr

over a year ago

"You know when you start a thread, but then you feel out of your depth and you feel Like Joey in Friends when everyone’s talking using big words he doesn’t understand, but he’s nods in agreement anyway. "

Hahaha...love it

over a year ago

"

Hey no, sorry its not at all...I worded things maybe too harshly. And it was not based on any faith in anyone or thing. It was merely a statement of an open mind, which is just me.. Im sorry if I offended, that was not my intent."

No offence taken dude in fact it's my bad for presuming

Thanks for clarifying what you meant

over a year ago

What's an Aliens favourite meal?

Fission chips.

By *arry WindsorMan
over a year ago

Heaton Park Manchester

"What's an Aliens favourite meal?