Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Chlorinated Chicken

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The Govery are using a loophole so there is no no debate about importing it..

But.. would you eat it ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ersnickety PantsWoman
over a year ago

Club Meets Only

[Removed by poster at 11/10/20 10:01:04]

By *ersnickety PantsWoman
over a year ago

Club Meets Only

where are they importing it from?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'd probably eat more pheasant and rabbit

By *uriouscouple83Couple
over a year ago

Worcester

And don’t forget the hormone riddled beef.

By *uriouscouple83Couple
over a year ago

Worcester

"I'd probably eat more pheasant and rabbit "

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

Citation please

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Citation please "

Read the Independent online

over a year ago

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with it from a health perspective.

The problem is that they'll out-compete our local farmers, forcing us to lower our animal welfare standards or forcing them out of business.

Of course, neither of these are of concern to the modern conservative. We're a long way from the conservatism of Disraeli and the One-Nationers.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

..You are aware that bag salads are chlorinated also fruit pots the plastic only does part the job the rest is the chemicals it dipped in before it's put in there chlorination is not problem intensive farming practices were using antibiotics from start to finish so they can mass-produce both chicken and beef America has disgusting welfare standards for its animals.

Pretty much all the chicken you buy in your ready meals is from Thailand which is also awful welfare conditions.

Not saying you should give up meat buy British as we have some of the best welfare standards in the world.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

You'll end up eating it without knowing it.It is unlikely to be labelled as such.

It will end up hidden in all the processed foods as the cheapest option probably.

Another good reason to consider eating less meat .

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I dont eat any meat! X

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

If nobody buys it they'll soon stop importing it, don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

over a year ago

Cumbria

"I dont eat any meat! X"

Well that's just silly.

Kidding your choose.

over a year ago

Cumbria

"If nobody buys it they'll soon stop importing it, don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about it."
youh big in to your health and well-being not everything is.

By *uriouscouple83Couple
over a year ago

Worcester

"If nobody buys it they'll soon stop importing it, don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about it."

It won’t be clearly labeled and people will buy it without realising, it will damage British Agriculture hugely. Not to mention the environmental cost of importing food across the Atlantic.

over a year ago

Hell no.

I use a local butchers which works out cheaper than supermarkets that uses local meat from local farms (some from my parents farm).

I will not touch supermarket meat & chemical covered veg.

over a year ago

Cumbria

"If nobody buys it they'll soon stop importing it, don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

It won’t be clearly labeled and people will buy it without realising, it will damage British Agriculture hugely. Not to mention the environmental cost of importing food across the Atlantic. "

It's the old imported raw cook it and say produced in the UK

over a year ago

"Hell no.

I use a local butchers which works out cheaper than supermarkets that uses local meat from local farms (some from my parents farm).

I will not touch supermarket meat & chemical covered veg. "

I second this

I grew up eating and buying what was local to us

I buy from our local farm butchers the eggs come from a lovely little hen shed where you can watch them frolicking around in the field

And the farmers market On a Friday

Sadly of course bananas and grapes arnt local here so they obv not local but when I go home I do bring back bunches of bananas from my grandmas house not that I can eat them but kiddies love them

My advice is always buy British as best as you can

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

"If nobody buys it they'll soon stop importing it, don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

It won’t be clearly labeled and people will buy it without realising, it will damage British Agriculture hugely. Not to mention the environmental cost of importing food across the Atlantic. "

20 years ago I worked in a poultry processing factory in Yorkshire for a summer to earn a bit of money. During a busy time when they didn't have enough fresh chicken coming off the production line to meet customer demand for restaurants, they were digging boxes of older chicken that was very close to being off out of the large walk in fridges and having us spray it with chlorine to turn the greening meat white before boxing it up and sending it out. It's been going on for years in the UK.

By *uriouscouple83Couple
over a year ago

Worcester

It won’t be clearly labeled and people will buy it without realising, it will damage British Agriculture hugely. Not to mention the environmental cost of importing food across the Atlantic.

20 years ago I worked in a poultry processing factory in Yorkshire for a summer to earn a bit of money. During a busy time when they didn't have enough fresh chicken coming off the production line to meet customer demand for restaurants, they were digging boxes of older chicken that was very close to being off out of the large walk in fridges and having us spray it with chlorine to turn the greening meat white before boxing it up and sending it out. It's been going on for years in the UK."

That’s always going to be a risk when buying packaged meat, you can’t be sure how it’s been treated. This is about importing chicken that has to be chlorinated due to the shocking animal welfare standards in the US. The scale they are talking would shut down some poultry farms in the U.K. and make us reliant on lower quality imports.

The inspections my husbands farm goes through to make sure they comply with all the regulations are very thorough and reassuring. To get that red tractor logo on your packaged meat means that the farmer and the processors have been inspected and their processes checked. Some of the big supermarkets also conduct their own inspections as well as the soil association if it’s organic.

There will be none of these checks done on meat imported from the US.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Wouldn’t knowingly eat it rather shop local. I live within minutes of some lovely farm shops and can see where my meat comes from if I do wish.

Probably eat it all the time in takeaways and restaurants. I’m still here.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

20 years ago I worked in a poultry processing factory in Yorkshire for a summer to earn a bit of money. During a busy time when they didn't have enough fresh chicken coming off the production line to meet customer demand for restaurants, they were digging boxes of older chicken that was very close to being off out of the large walk in fridges and having us spray it with chlorine to turn the greening meat white before boxing it up and sending it out. It's been going on for years in the UK.

That’s always going to be a risk when buying packaged meat, you can’t be sure how it’s been treated. This is about importing chicken that has to be chlorinated due to the shocking animal welfare standards in the US. The scale they are talking would shut down some poultry farms in the U.K. and make us reliant on lower quality imports.

The inspections my husbands farm goes through to make sure they comply with all the regulations are very thorough and reassuring. To get that red tractor logo on your packaged meat means that the farmer and the processors have been inspected and their processes checked. Some of the big supermarkets also conduct their own inspections as well as the soil association if it’s organic.

There will be none of these checks done on meat imported from the US. "

I too come from a farming background and some farmers are very good, but there are others who definitely aren't. I worked on various different units for one of the biggest pig producers in Yorkshire for about 2 years, and saw some shocking treatment of them by some of the staff and some appalling living conditions for the animals. I've been out of the game for a long time now so hope things have improved with more frequent inspections etc.

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

"The Govery are using a loophole so there is no no debate about importing it..

But.. would you eat it ?"

No but that is my choice others will that is their choice, one of the benefits from living in a free country

over a year ago

"Hell no.

I will not touch supermarket meat & chemical covered veg. "

This ........ I’ve gone back to using a local butcher and grocer for my veg and salad stuff, it lasts longer too as well as tasting better...... it’s a win win all round

If only I could find a milk man to deliver!

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"You'll end up eating it without knowing it.It is unlikely to be labelled as such.

It will end up hidden in all the processed foods as the cheapest option probably.

Another good reason to consider eating less meat .

"

Less chorinated meat and more chlorinated salad ?

over a year ago

The nation eats absolute tripe as it is. This is more political spin than serious concern.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Hell no.

I will not touch supermarket meat & chemical covered veg.

I second this

I grew up eating and buying what was local to us

I buy from our local farm butchers the eggs come from a lovely little hen shed where you can watch them frolicking around in the field

And the farmers market On a Friday

Sadly of course bananas and grapes arnt local here so they obv not local but when I go home I do bring back bunches of bananas from my grandmas house not that I can eat them but kiddies love them

My advice is always buy British as best as you can

"

Is buying British racist ?

over a year ago

put it in the swimming pool.

job done

By *uriouscouple83Couple
over a year ago

Worcester

" The nation eats absolute tripe as it is. This is more political spin than serious concern. "

Unless you’re a farmer, someone who enjoys the countryside, someone who is concerned about food security or someone who cares about the quality of what they eat.

over a year ago

Fuck yeah. I ate horse for ages, I’ll eat anything

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/10/20 19:38:29]

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

Cook it very well - there's a reason America has much higher levels of salmonella and Listeria the the UK.

The CDC published a report which estimated that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans contract foodborne diseases. I've been round food processing plants in the US and their standards are very different to the UK, so it's honestly no surprise to me.

Last year American peanuts were in short supply in the EU because the harvest had high aflatoxin levels so didn't meet EU safety standards for human consumption. EU safety standards state a maximum of 2 micrograms per kilogram of peanuts, US maximum is 20. I'd be more worried about that than I am about chlorinated chicken, but it's not as attention grabbing.

Just one of a dozen examples, sadly.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

But will you eat it.

.?

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Only get meat and veg from the local farm shop

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

This is precisely the reason everyone should buy British. Well produced high quality food with some of the highest animal welfare standards in the world.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"This is precisely the reason everyone should buy British. Well produced high quality food with some of the highest animal welfare standards in the world."

I just buy the tastiest..

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"This is precisely the reason everyone should buy British. Well produced high quality food with some of the highest animal welfare standards in the world.

"

Which is british

over a year ago

"This is precisely the reason everyone should buy British. Well produced high quality food with some of the highest animal welfare standards in the world.

Which is british"

Except thats just a statement echoed the world over by each respective country?

Of course there's some quality food, but there's some awful bland tasteless stuff produced here too?

By *..FirstMan
over a year ago

london

Of course i would eat it and so do you every time you go to New York or Disney Land... annoying when people wine about this. And on the topic of it coming to our stores, insist on American chicken having a sticker on and let us choose. I don’t need now-it-all gobshites telling me that it is some how worse than drinking water that has chlorine in or accidentally swallowing water at the swimming pool.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"

Is that borderline racist and imperialist ?

By *iverscuMan
over a year ago

Berkshire

I'd eat it.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Which is british

Except thats just a statement echoed the world over by each respective country?

Of course there's some quality food, but there's some awful bland tasteless stuff produced here too?"

Other countries don't have the welfare system we have though.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"Of course i would eat it and so do you every time you go to New York or Disney Land... annoying when people wine about this. And on the topic of it coming to our stores, insist on American chicken having a sticker on and let us choose. I don’t need now-it-all gobshites telling me that it is some how worse than drinking water that has chlorine in or accidentally swallowing water at the swimming pool."

It's not about the chlorine, it's about having lax hygiene standards which allow pathogenic bacteria to thrive in the meat and then dumping it in a chlorine bath in an attempt to disguise it.

Yes you can look at labels in shops, but do you honestly think ready meal manufacturers, pie makers, tinned soup companies, restaurants, takeaways etc will pay more for safer chicken if the salmonella and listeria levels of the US become legal in this country? Our demand for ever cheaper food means you'll be eating chlorinated chicken whether you want to or not, and our foodborne illness rates will increase accordingly. Maybe this year you won't be the one in six who is ill. Maybe you won't suffer next year either. Maybe you'll be one of the unfortunates who gets hospitalised.

The CDC estimates 48 million people get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die from foodborne diseases each year in the United States. In 2018, there were an estimated 2.4 million foodborne disease-related cases in the U.K, 16,300 needed hospital treatment and 180 deaths were reported. The US has more than double the death rate of the UK. The chlorine was never the issue.

By *..FirstMan
over a year ago

london

"Of course i would eat it and so do you every time you go to New York or Disney Land... annoying when people wine about this. And on the topic of it coming to our stores, insist on American chicken having a sticker on and let us choose. I don’t need now-it-all gobshites telling me that it is some how worse than drinking water that has chlorine in or accidentally swallowing water at the swimming pool.

It's not about the chlorine, it's about having lax hygiene standards which allow pathogenic bacteria to thrive in the meat and then dumping it in a chlorine bath in an attempt to disguise it.

Yes you can look at labels in shops, but do you honestly think ready meal manufacturers, pie makers, tinned soup companies, restaurants, takeaways etc will pay more for safer chicken if the salmonella and listeria levels of the US become legal in this country? Our demand for ever cheaper food means you'll be eating chlorinated chicken whether you want to or not, and our foodborne illness rates will increase accordingly. Maybe this year you won't be the one in six who is ill. Maybe you won't suffer next year either. Maybe you'll be one of the unfortunates who gets hospitalised.

The CDC estimates 48 million people get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die from foodborne diseases each year in the United States. In 2018, there were an estimated 2.4 million foodborne disease-related cases in the U.K, 16,300 needed hospital treatment and 180 deaths were reported. The US has more than double the death rate of the UK. The chlorine was never the issue."

So a few things:

Firstly chicken is filthy. If you ever got the see a chicken processor such as Moy Park or Two Sisters you will realise that only cooking the shit out of chicken keeps us safe. Even here in the UK people die of food poisoning related to salmonella contamination. In actual fact a few people died recently in the NHS eating chicken sandwiches.

Right now I (and maybe you) am forced to eat Halal meat at restaurants and have you seen how they slaughter the animals to allow for some bullshit ritual...

Your stats are interesting and clearly it is a time bomb but unless we stop breeding, the population does not allow for anything other than battery farming. I know the politically correct will be quick to remind me that we should all be vegetarian but even they need to realise that even that will eventually not be sufficient without cutting down all the forests and national parks...

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I bet it pretty much tastes the same tho.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"Of course i would eat it and so do you every time you go to New York or Disney Land... annoying when people wine about this. And on the topic of it coming to our stores, insist on American chicken having a sticker on and let us choose. I don’t need now-it-all gobshites telling me that it is some how worse than drinking water that has chlorine in or accidentally swallowing water at the swimming pool.

The CDC estimates 48 million people get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die from foodborne diseases each year in the United States. In 2018, there were an estimated 2.4 million foodborne disease-related cases in the U.K, 16,300 needed hospital treatment and 180 deaths were reported. The US has more than double the death rate of the UK. The chlorine was never the issue.

So a few things:

Firstly chicken is filthy. If you ever got the see a chicken processor such as Moy Park or Two Sisters you will realise that only cooking the shit out of chicken keeps us safe. Even here in the UK people die of food poisoning related to salmonella contamination. In actual fact a few people died recently in the NHS eating chicken sandwiches.

Right now I (and maybe you) am forced to eat Halal meat at restaurants and have you seen how they slaughter the animals to allow for some bullshit ritual...

Your stats are interesting and clearly it is a time bomb but unless we stop breeding, the population does not allow for anything other than battery farming. I know the politically correct will be quick to remind me that we should all be vegetarian but even they need to realise that even that will eventually not be sufficient without cutting down all the forests and national parks...

"

Vegetarianism won't help if we drop our standards.

Aflatoxin is an immunosuppressant carcinogen, something to be avoided if at all possible.

The fungus that it comes from is rife in peanuts. In the EU the permissible limit is 2 parts per billion. In the US it's 20 parts per billion.

219 hospitalised and 6 dead in the US from eating bloody lettuce that was riddled with e coli because cow manure was in the water that was then used to irrigate the lettuce. It's not on the surface to be washed off, it's the water that's within the lettuce. That is completely unthinkable here, but is compliant with all current US safety standards.

I'm not anti-America, not even anti-American food. I buy huge volumes of American almonds, walnuts, soya and pecans, but I buy to EU standards and everything is tested on entry to the EU.

To go back to the original question, I don't have an issue with chlorinated chicken if the bird has been slaughtered and processed to our hygiene standards and meets our bacterial contamination limits. If it's then chlorine washed as an additional level of safety then I'm fine with that. Sadly the chlorine washing is being used as a replacement for those hygiene standards, not in addition.

Post new Message to Thread