Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

BMI

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just put my goal weight into a BMI calculator and it still says "overweight", oh dear

I have heard countless people, from medical professionals to fitness vloggers, say BMI is outdated and useless. But then when you look at diet and nutrition advice online it's always about "getting your BMI down to a healthy level". If it's so so outdated why does the NHS still go by it?

Or does this only apply to people who have a lot of mass in terms of muscle?

Or should I just suck it up and set a new, lower goal

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I wouldn't worry about BMI too much.

Just stick with the goal way but you have set and see how you feel when you get there.

I saying question to my dr and was told Is outdated but there is and really another universal system that would work.

By *rouble1998Woman
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

BMI isn’t very accurate at all, it doesn’t take muscle mass into consideration.

So your could be really fit, muscly and lean but be ‘obese’ by BMI standards

By *RONMAN16Man
over a year ago

Coventry

I'm obese by its standard, so take it with a grain of salt (or lard)

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

I wouldn’t take it as the best measure of holistic health by any means, however for most people it’s a good enough guideline that you can work out with 2 simple measurements and an easy bit of maths.

over a year ago

BMI is still broadly a good way to work out how much you need to lose/gain. Unless you're pregnant, an athlete, etc. People saying it's inaccurate are talking about exceptions (and you probably know if you're an exception).

Don't sweat it too much, just aim to get within the healthy range - but only through a healthy, sustainable approach. Unhealthy means to achieve a healthy weight is pointless!

over a year ago

Yeah im obese too, but im also sexy, hot and beautiful ha ha

Its a shame they use such a dated system, but if you are trying to loose weight dont focus on that, just try and vary your diet do some fitness, Im always up and down with my weight but never let it define me.

over a year ago

"Yeah im obese too, but im also sexy, hot and beautiful ha ha"

You laugh but this is worth reinforcing. BMI correlates with health outcomes - it's not a measure of attractiveness or self-worth.

Lose the weight to have more healthy, active years on this planet and less miserable, unhealthy years. Be sexy and beautiful all the way through that process

over a year ago

"Yeah im obese too, but im also sexy, hot and beautiful ha ha

You laugh but this is worth reinforcing. BMI correlates with health outcomes - it's not a measure of attractiveness or

Lose the weight to have more healthy, active years on this planet and less miserable, unhealthy years. Be sexy and beautiful all the way through that process "

Fair point

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

The only proper way to calculate BMW is also with the old pinch test which measures fat levels in different areas of the body which is why the nhs no longer uses it...some claimed it was degrading.

Most people these days (2/3's of UK) are over weight so it is possible that the calculator is medically correct.

over a year ago

A waist circumference measurement is a better marker of health.

Blokes tend to deposit weight around the waist which is proven to increase poor health outcomes (e.g. diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and heart attacks). This is the so called ‘Apple shape’ as opposed to the slighlty healthier ‘pear shaped’ deposition of fat.

A combination of healthy eating and exercise are the best ways to maintain health. High intensity exercise and intermittent fasting boosts health.

I write this...having just come back from the pub, eating a steak n ale pie, and I’ve just finished a bowl of dry roasted peanuts!

over a year ago

"The only proper way to calculate BMW is also with the old pinch test which measures fat levels in different areas of the body which is why the nhs no longer uses it...some claimed it was degrading.

Most people these days (2/3's of UK) are over weight so it is possible that the calculator is medically correct. "

I wish that I had a BMW still! Did you pinch it??

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I think there are much better ways of assessing whether you are a healthy weight or size (which are not necessarily the same thing) and tracking your progress.

If you want to be anal get some smart scales. They measure fat-to-muscle ratio and you metabolic rate, amongst other things. They are excellent for tracking.

Alternatively, I have found belt notches a great indicator and very satisfying as I have to tighten my belt over time. You may want to try that or similar things like trouser waist size or dress size.

By *unmatt888Man
over a year ago

Duns

"BMI is still broadly a good way to work out how much you need to lose/gain. Unless you're pregnant, an athlete, etc. People saying it's inaccurate are talking about exceptions (and you probably know if you're an exception).

"

This.

Yes, Johnny Wilkinson was technically obese according to BMI. No, that doesn't mean BMI is rubbish unless you're actually Johnny Wilkinson.

over a year ago

"I think there are much better ways of assessing whether you are a healthy weight or size (which are not necessarily the same thing) and tracking your progress.

If you want to be anal get some smart scales. They measure fat-to-muscle ratio and you metabolic rate, amongst other things. They are excellent for tracking.

Alternatively, I have found belt notches a great indicator and very satisfying as I have to tighten my belt over time. You may want to try that or similar things like trouser waist size or dress size. "

So, the way those scales work is to measure your electrical impedance - this is affected by hydration, food intake etc such that the measurements aren't all that accurate.

Calipers (the "pinch test") are inaccurate but consistent, making them great for tracking fat loss - but they're not really more useful than BMI unless you're a bodybuilder or something.

I lift weights, and this means I'll always be on the heavier side (more muscle mass) - but it's clear from my fat% that my BMI isn't all that off at all. And the "healthy" range (18-25) is so large that unless you're doing something that is putting on large amounts of non-fat body mass it's an "accurate enough" way to work out where you are and where you need to go (and is why it's used by the NHS).

over a year ago

For the average person it’s fine, for elite athletes it’s not, because muscle is heavier than fat, I’m right in the middle of where I should be according to height, but I get told I’m skinny according to workmates, which kind of shows what is the norm now and where society is at.

over a year ago

I,be lost almost 2 stone since May but according to BMI I am still obese... like a previous poster says it doesn't take into account muscle. I am quite active so will have more muscle than an inactive person my height/weight. I don't think BMI is accurate at all.

over a year ago

I think a lot of people don’t like BMI cause it’s not telling them what they want to hear.

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

BMI is a rough guideline, not the be all and end all. According to the index I'm overweight too, and I know plenty of athletic people (including actual athletes) who are classed as overweight or obese.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Lots up online calculators to work out your fat percentage this is probably the way to go over BMI.

over a year ago

I just go by how my clothes fit. If they don't anymore, I gotta melt some fat

BMI is just a guidance, but you know yourself how active and healthy you are (or not). I do anyway.

over a year ago

My BMI says I’m morbidly obese

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

It can be so disheartening when you look at your BMI, to be told your obese.

I don't bother with it and go by my clothes instead.

I've dropped a dress size and that gives me incentive to keep going.

over a year ago

Just got to love the body you’re given, you only get the one. We’re all different. Love yourself and other will xxx

over a year ago

I wouldnt lower your goal based on BMI. Get to original goal you have first and then decide.

People don't need to know their BMI to know whether they are clinically overweight or obese.

If there's a handful of fat to be grabbed around the belly or thighs etc, people will generally know what they have to lose to not be overweight

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

I don't like BMI As it dose not count for bigger bones and mussels I go buy how I feel and pinch an inch (25mm) if you can pinch more than an inch you have to much simple.

But make targets achievable you need to feel good not say I'm going to lose 4 stone and beat your self up when you don't get there. So what do you weigh and how tall are you.PM if you want

over a year ago

BMI seems very out of date I stopped working mine out years ago.

Last time I tried to to get mine down to a healthy BMI I looked sick, barely ate and exercised constantly.

I’m happy not knowing anymore

By *vilgasamWoman
over a year ago

The dot in the i

According to bmi I’m now my ideal weight, I’m 7 1/2st and a size 4 struggling to gain weight because of an eating disorder, please don’t take bmi as a main measurement, I’ve been underweight and over, I definitely prefer over

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"My BMI says I’m morbidly obese "

Queenie, if yours says morbidly obese, then there's no hope for us. I'd kill for your figure. OK, where's the cake?

over a year ago

"BMI is still broadly a good way to work out how much you need to lose/gain. Unless you're pregnant, an athlete, etc. People saying it's inaccurate are talking about exceptions (and you probably know if you're an exception).

Don't sweat it too much, just aim to get within the healthy range - but only through a healthy, sustainable approach. Unhealthy means to achieve a healthy weight is pointless!"

That makes sense, thanks

over a year ago

"Yeah im obese too, but im also sexy, hot and beautiful ha ha

Its a shame they use such a dated system, but if you are trying to loose weight dont focus on that, just try and vary your diet do some fitness, Im always up and down with my weight but never let it define me. "

It's great that you feel sexy and confident

I have days when I feel like this too, but also days when I feel like an absolute monster and think "my god what have I done to myself"

over a year ago

My bmi is 22.5

10st

Wasn’t always that weight

Was 16 st a few years ago

over a year ago

"A waist circumference measurement is a better marker of health.

Blokes tend to deposit weight around the waist which is proven to increase poor health outcomes (e.g. diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and heart attacks). This is the so called ‘Apple shape’ as opposed to the slighlty healthier ‘pear shaped’ deposition of fat.

A combination of healthy eating and exercise are the best ways to maintain health. High intensity exercise and intermittent fasting boosts health.

I write this...having just come back from the pub, eating a steak n ale pie, and I’ve just finished a bowl of dry roasted peanuts! "

Haha I discovered a not-so-well hidden bag of doritos in the kitchen last night! literally fisted a handful straight into my open jaws like a hangry bear but luckily I caught myself just in time and spat them out!

over a year ago

I was told by my cardiologist to ignore BMI. According to BMI I am overweight, but my cholesterol levels are normal.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it was designed as a population wide measure, for groups not individuals. I think about my energy levels and how well I feel.

over a year ago

"I think there are much better ways of assessing whether you are a healthy weight or size (which are not necessarily the same thing) and tracking your progress.

Alternatively, I have found belt notches a great indicator and very satisfying as I have to tighten my belt over time. You may want to try that or similar things like trouser waist size or dress size. "

I had smart scales a few years ago, really good (and expensive) fitbit ones that were linked to my phone but it was a nightmare, they kept breaking! Got them replaced by fitbit a couple of times and then I just gave up and got a £20 Salter one. Doesn't measure body fat but at this point I know it's just "a lot"

By *oppolocosTV/TS
over a year ago

inverurie

BMI like most of these things is just a guide. If you look in the mirror and you see flab you're overweight. If you see muscle you're in good shape. If there's lots of flab BMI is a guide to just how dangerous that flab is to your health.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/10/20 15:53:54]

over a year ago

"For the average person it’s fine, for elite athletes it’s not, because muscle is heavier than fat, I’m right in the middle of where I should be according to height, but I get told I’m skinny according to workmates, which kind of shows what is the norm now and where society is at. "

"society" shouldn't be commenting on people's bodies either way.

over a year ago

"BMI is a rough guideline, not the be all and end all. According to the index I'm overweight too, and I know plenty of athletic people (including actual athletes) who are classed as overweight or obese."

Yeah that's a lot of peoples' main argument, that it only takes weight into account and not actual body fat percentage.

over a year ago

"I,be lost almost 2 stone since May but according to BMI I am still obese... like a previous poster says it doesn't take into account muscle. I am quite active so will have more muscle than an inactive person my height/weight. I don't think BMI is accurate at all. "

Congratulations on your weight loss

over a year ago

"My BMI says I’m morbidly obese "

No it fucking doesn't

over a year ago

"It can be so disheartening when you look at your BMI, to be told your obese.

I've dropped a dress size and that gives me incentive to keep going."

That's great, well done!

I've only been wearing lounge wear and pj's since lockdown and have had very few occasions to get dressed up so I don't really know where I'm at ie dress size. I recently reorganised my wardrobe and stupidly put away all my clothes that were too small so everything in my wardrobe at the moment fits me.

I'm 47lbs (and 8 BMI points) down so I reckon that's at least one size dropped, right?

over a year ago

It's a very generalised measure. For a large number of the population it's ok as a rough guide.

If you do a lot of sport, compete etc. Its bollocks. Doesn't take into account muscle mass etc.

Im just under 18st, BMI just over 32, that makes me morbidly obese. Body fat is around 19%.

Smart scales are garbage, measures my bodyfat at anywhere between 27-34 %. I tried before and after a gym session and my % went up by just over 4%.

over a year ago

That's great, well done!

I've only been wearing lounge wear and pj's since lockdown and have had very few occasions to get dressed up so I don't really know where I'm at ie dress size. I recently reorganised my wardrobe and stupidly put away all my clothes that were too small so everything in my wardrobe at the moment fits me.

I'm 47lbs (and 8 BMI points) down so I reckon that's at least one size dropped, right?"

47 lbs is fantastic!

Well done you.

That's about 3 dress sizes down - its about one dress size per stone.

over a year ago

That's great, well done!

I'm 47lbs (and 8 BMI points) down so I reckon that's at least one size dropped, right?

47 lbs is fantastic!

Well done you.

"

Thank you!

I think that calculation probably applies to more average sized people lol, if I were 3 sizes down I'd know as my clothes would be falling off me and they're definitely not

Now you mention it I'm not seeing that many changes in my body, if any. Will need to lose a lot more before it starts being noticeable.

over a year ago

That's great, well done!

47 lbs is fantastic!

Well done you.

Thank you!

I think that calculation probably applies to more average sized people lol, if I were 3 sizes down I'd know as my clothes would be falling off me and they're definitely not

Now you mention it I'm not seeing that many changes in my body, if any. Will need to lose a lot more before it starts being noticeable. "

I bet there is a difference but it's difficult to see in yourself.

47lbs is loads - you should get some old clothes and try them on - I bet they're big on you x

over a year ago

"I'm 47lbs (and 8 BMI points) down so I reckon that's at least one size dropped, right?"

That's impressive - and remember, it's not all-or-nothing. That's made reductions on all sorts of risks; you've literally given yourself more life, and more healthy life, to live.

Well done, and keep it up!

over a year ago

"A waist circumference measurement is a better marker of health.

I write this...having just come back from the pub, eating a steak n ale pie, and I’ve just finished a bowl of dry roasted peanuts!

Haha I discovered a not-so-well hidden bag of doritos in the kitchen last night! literally fisted a handful straight into my open jaws like a hangry bear but luckily I caught myself just in time and spat them out! "

Hahaha!! Love it!

This is my inner Monologue when I’m raiding the biscuit drawer or crisp cupboard:

Me: “what are you doing?”

My inner chimp: “I’m hungry”

Me: “well have an apple then”

My inner chimp: “no, I don’t fancy that”

Me: “well you’re not hungry then are you? You are just bored”!

My inner chimp tends to back down...but not always!

over a year ago

"I was told by my cardiologist to ignore BMI. According to BMI I am overweight, but my cholesterol levels are normal.

"

Cholesterol level is formed from HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol). When you are given your cholesterol level, ask what the level of these constituents are. Another lipid level which, if elevated, is a good prognostic factor of health outcomes (e.g. stroke and heart attacks) is triglyceride level. Triglyceride levels are more closely correlated to what we eat as opposed to cholesterol which is a combination of diet/exercise/genetics.

over a year ago

What matters is how you feel about yourself. Numbers aren't everything.

over a year ago

Did you change your goal weight in the end?

over a year ago

"Did you change your goal weight in the end?"

I'm going to get closer to it first and see how I feel

By *ikesEmBigMan
over a year ago

Herts

I'm just a chunky bugger

over a year ago

"Did you change your goal weight in the end?

I'm going to get closer to it first and see how I feel "

Best way as you see how you go you can adjust your target.

It's how my brother got me running longer distances a few years back, just kept saying you see that next lamp post aim for that, then he'd see something just past the post etc.

It's better to set an easier target and push it back than set a hard one and be disappointed when you can't so it x

over a year ago

"Did you change your goal weight in the end?

I'm going to get closer to it first and see how I feel

Best way as you see how you go you can adjust your target.

It's how my brother got me running longer distances a few years back, just kept saying you see that next lamp post aim for that, then he'd see something just past the post etc.

It's better to set an easier target and push it back than set a hard one and be disappointed when you can't so it x"

I just like the goal I've set because it would mean I've lost 200lbs, it's a nice round number lol. Plus I'm almost 1/4 of the way through and setting a new goal would mean I'm not as far along in my progress.

We'll see. I should probably worry about actually getting to a close enough weight that I can even think about adjusting haha I'm miles away at the moment

Post new Message to Thread