Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Why is

Jump to newest

By *emmefatale OP   Woman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Hair of the dog called hair of the dog ????????????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Dam HAIR of the dog, now you tell me. verytime i have had a hangover been eating rabbit stew. thought it was hare of the bloody dog.

over a year ago

every sorry

over a year ago

Its from a time when it was believe that if you got bitten by a rabid dog you would be ok if you rubbed some hair from said canine into the wound.

or didnt you want a sencible answer

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Its from a time when it was believe that if you got bitten by a rabid dog you would be ok if you rubbed some hair from said canine into the wound.

or didnt you want a sencible answer "

sensible answers are just fine n dandy

By *acuzziFlooziesCouple
over a year ago

Kent to Surrey

from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_of_the_dog

The origin of the phrase is literal, and comes from an erroneous method of treatment of a rabid dog bite by placing hair from the dog in the bite wound.[1] The use of the phrase as a metaphor for a hangover treatment dates back to the time of William Shakespeare. Ebenezer Cobham Brewer writes in the Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1898): "In Scotland it is a popular belief that a few hairs of the dog that bit you applied to the wound will prevent evil consequences. Applied to drinks, it means, if overnight you have indulged too freely, take a glass of the same wine next morning to soothe the nerves. 'If this dog do you bite, soon as out of your bed, take a hair of the tail in the morning.'"

It dosen't work though:

A hangover is due partly to poisoning by the toxic chemicals into which alcohol is converted by the body and the other components of the alcoholic drink, and partly to the body's reaction to withdrawal from alcohol. The symptoms of a hangover are similar to those of withdrawal, namely a throbbing headache, nausea, and possible vomiting. Thus consuming more alcohol ("hair of the dog") may help by blunting some of these symptoms,[4] but will only aggravate the symptoms once the liver breaks the alcohol down, because the body will have additional toxins to deal with.

The magic of the internet!

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

cor blimey governor

over a year ago

Can I just say I'm a very very lucky girl, I don't get hangovers - sorry xx

over a year ago

My hubbies band was called Hair of the dog in the nineties lmao..

over a year ago

"from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_of_the_dog

The origin of the phrase is literal, and comes from an erroneous method of treatment of a rabid dog bite by placing hair from the dog in the bite wound.[1] The use of the phrase as a metaphor for a hangover treatment dates back to the time of William Shakespeare. Ebenezer Cobham Brewer writes in the Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1898): "In Scotland it is a popular belief that a few hairs of the dog that bit you applied to the wound will prevent evil consequences. Applied to drinks, it means, if overnight you have indulged too freely, take a glass of the same wine next morning to soothe the nerves. 'If this dog do you bite, soon as out of your bed, take a hair of the tail in the morning.'"

It dosen't work though:

A hangover is due partly to poisoning by the toxic chemicals into which alcohol is converted by the body and the other components of the alcoholic drink, and partly to the body's reaction to withdrawal from alcohol. The symptoms of a hangover are similar to those of withdrawal, namely a throbbing headache, nausea, and possible vomiting. Thus consuming more alcohol ("hair of the dog") may help by blunting some of these symptoms,[4] but will only aggravate the symptoms once the liver breaks the alcohol down, because the body will have additional toxins to deal with.

The magic of the internet! "

the main cause of hangover is caused by alcohol causing drop in blood sugar. Hence the headache, nausea ect, a good cure is sweets, chocolate and in extreme cases flat lemonade with as much sugar as you can dissolve in it they use this method on alcoholics suffering withdrawls

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Lol, I dont get hangovers...... however I do get a dicky stomach if I drink way too much, especially if I mix my drinks.

Post new Message to Thread