Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Shoplifting

Jump to newest

By *allySlinky OP   Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

A friend of mine was caught stealing £14 of goods from a large supermarket chain. She has been banned from all their stores. She has now been sent a demand for £150 for security cost fees. Is she obliged to pay this ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Why not

She shouldn’t have stolen in the first place

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Why not

She shouldn’t have stolen in the first place"

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Better than a conviction I suppose I've heard of the bans before not the security thing x

over a year ago

Legally speaking no she’s not.

Yes she shouldn’t of stolen. But for the debt to be enforceable they’d have to take her to court to recover it.

over a year ago

once a thief always a thief.

lucky she hasnt had her hand chopped off.

over a year ago

No sympathy.

Just pay it

over a year ago

Would people think differently if the person in question stole to feed children?

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

If she stole £14 worth of stuff, what makes them think she is able to pay a £150 fine?

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

"obliged" is the term I don't understand in your sentence.

Ultimately, theft has been allegedly committed. Therefore, the supermarket should be reporting this to the police as a legally criminal matter.

If the supermarket is claiming the security costs as part of the legal case, and your "friend" can prove they are not guilty, then there is no legally binding obligation.

There is so much missing details in your question though

over a year ago

"If she stole £14 worth of stuff, what makes them think she is able to pay a £150 fine? "

Thats along the lines of stupid fines for breaking lockdown rules.

I heard of a restaurant being fined for giving ( the only person in the shop) his takeaway at 10.04pm.

Quite how they expect these people to pay the fines is anyones guess

But like alot of things in this country, no one really thinks it through

By *andyblokeMan
over a year ago

birmingham

""obliged" is the term I don't understand in your sentence.

Ultimately, theft has been allegedly committed. Therefore, the supermarket should be reporting this to the police as a legally criminal matter.

If the supermarket is claiming the security costs as part of the legal case, and your "friend" can prove they are not guilty, then there is no legally binding obligation.

There is so much missing details in your question though "

i agree.

By *octor DeleriumMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Retail Loss Prevention Ltd seem to be behind a lot of these 'demand'.

Whilst I don't condone shoplifting, there isn't an obvious legal authority to make claims for security costs and such firms may well be targeting vulnerable individuals.

I suggest that your friend speaks confidentially with her local Citizen's Advice Bureau; they will have dealt with similar cases.

over a year ago

maybe she could rob a bank to pay them back

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Would people think differently if the person in question stole to feed children?"

There are food banks for people who can't afford basics.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

She should be made to pay it, without s doubt.

over a year ago

As far as I know, You have to go to court and court decides to fine the person etc etc.

Above someone wrote she's shouldn't have stolen in the first place, I agree but Alot of folks are going threw tough times and end up shoplifting to make ends meet. Not right but sadly happens.

By *hisisntpofMan
over a year ago

bristol

I bet she wishes she nicked 200 quids worth now

over a year ago

Shes probably nicked a lot more than £150 worth but this time shes been caught. Tough titty....she should just the pay the fine.

It's an age old saying but, "if ya cant do the time, dont commit the crime"

By *octor DeleriumMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Link to CAB advice:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/a-business-takes-legal-action-against-you-to-recover-losses-for-theft/

over a year ago

"I bet she wishes she nicked 200 quids worth now "

Think there aee different prosecution levels based on cost, but not sure, nicked a marathon bar once when I was 12.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Who sent the demand ?

over a year ago

"I bet she wishes she nicked 200 quids worth now "

over a year ago

"Legally speaking no she’s not.

Yes she shouldn’t of stolen. But for the debt to be enforceable they’d have to take her to court to recover it. "

By *entralscotscpl7Couple
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Who sent the demand ?"

This.

Is it the same type of demand that comes from private parking companies then i would say probably not.

By *xplorer13Man
over a year ago

glenrothes

put her in prison. She was starving so she stole. She will get 3 meals a day there. Jobs a good un

over a year ago

Wow so much judging. These are stressful times and sometimes we do stupid things without thinking. Speak to the Citizens advice I say, and good luck to your friend.

over a year ago

"Would people think differently if the person in question stole to feed children?.

There are food banks for people who can't afford basics."

There are

But my understanding is that you have to be 'referred' You cant just turn up.

And you have to be able to GET to the food bank in the first place

And then there's covid, which has caused alot of food banks to struggle

Life for some people, isnt simple

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Why was she stealing?

Was this the first offence?

Does she have any defence for her actions?

If she stole from you, how would you react?

over a year ago

I once caught a lad shoplifting, it was only a couple of quids worth of stuff.

I must admit I hated my job back then so I let him off and couldn't help but tell him if he was going to risk getting nicked he might as well go large.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Who sent the demand ?

This.

Is it the same type of demand that comes from private parking companies then i would say probably not."

These are not fines, it is a claim for damages and losses. If she doesn’t pay it, the supermarket has the option of taking a civil action against her. The burden of proof is much lower in a civil action compared to a criminal case. She could eventually end up paying legal costs on top of the initial claim.

She should seek legal advice regarding this.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Not sure it’s wise to ignore if they pursue civil action she could end up with all sorts of issues with fines and charges etc.

Citizens advice would be the best bet.

By *arteeneWoman
over a year ago

aylesbury

I have been working in loss prevention for over 20 years There is a difference between criminal prosecution and civil prosecution most retailers do this .

Retailers don’t all prosecute but use Civil recovery.

To get a fine of that amount it would of been more then £14 .and if not paid it goes up then bailiffs

over a year ago

Not clued up on any of this, but £14 seems a very small amount for a large store to be bothered with.

I do know that she can ask to pay the fine in installments.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"I have been working in loss prevention for over 20 years There is a difference between criminal prosecution and civil prosecution most retailers do this .

Retailers don’t all prosecute but use Civil recovery.

To get a fine of that amount it would of been more then £14 .and if not paid it goes up then bailiffs "

That’s when they add on all the Charges. Saw it on channel 5. Horror tv.

By *vilgasamWoman
over a year ago

The dot in the i

"Would people think differently if the person in question stole to feed children?.

There are

But my understanding is that you have to be 'referred' You cant just turn up.

And you have to be able to GET to the food bank in the first place

And then there's covid, which has caused alot of food banks to struggle

Life for some people, isnt simple"

This

By *ersnickety PantsWoman
over a year ago

Club Meets Only

"Who sent the demand ?

This.

Is it the same type of demand that comes from private parking companies then i would say probably not.

These are not fines, it is a claim for damages and losses. If she doesn’t pay it, the supermarket has the option of taking a civil action against her. The burden of proof is much lower in a civil action compared to a criminal case. She could eventually end up paying legal costs on top of the initial claim.

She should seek legal advice regarding this."

Surely as she was caught the got the stuff back which would mean they haven't made a loss?

By *arteeneWoman
over a year ago

aylesbury

There is still a large amount of money that it costs the company even if we get the stock back it’s the time it takes to deal with the incedent which can take 4 hrs per incedent and if the stock is damaged there is a loss . If the police take item there is a loss . Even if we get it back as the sale price would be less from when they stole it

over a year ago

Club Meets Only

"There is still a large amount of money that it costs the company even if we get the stock back it’s the time it takes to deal with the incedent which can take 4 hrs per incedent and if the stock is damaged there is a loss . If the police take item there is a loss . Even if we get it back as the sale price would be less from when they stole it "

Ahh ok, that makes sense

over a year ago

Leeds

The four items stolen were toiletries (pain relief) which were still in a saleable condition. The lady is a pensioner who won't ever be going to work again so she wonders if a criminal record would be a detriment to her if she didn't pay the £150 "security charge"

By *hat BlokeMan
over a year ago

Harrogate

You don’t know why or what she was stealing. I would be very hesitant to cast any judgement on anyone without knowing the facts.

over a year ago

"The four items stolen were toiletries (pain relief) which were still in a saleable condition. The lady is a pensioner who won't ever be going to work again so she wonders if a criminal record would be a detriment to her if she didn't pay the £150 "security charge" "

People over 60 get free prescriptions.

over a year ago

If there is a good reason, i would get someone to help me write a letter of apology and 'fall on my sword'.. exolaining why, accepting responsibility and begging for the fine to be suspended. I guess part of the reason for a fine is a deterrent. Perhaps someone from the community, eg, your local vicar if you were a churchgoer etc, could also help with a character reference if it is out of character, or to support the reason ?

Hope this of practical assistance x

over a year ago

Leeds

Thank you Dr Delerium for the CAB link

over a year ago

am not well off but i woudnt steal. If you cant afford it you go without.simples.

over a year ago

Leeds

Thanks Midnight Fetish. A good response

over a year ago

Leeds

I am not at all condoning what she did but the medication she stole is not available on prescription. A £150 fine to the NHS or the council would be perfectly acceptable but £150 for a security company who spent less than ten minutes taking her details seems a bit like profiteering.

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Bloody crazy.

Id love to see this one in front of 'Judge Rinder'. Lol

over a year ago

"I am not at all condoning what she did but the medication she stole is not available on prescription. A £150 fine to the NHS or the council would be perfectly acceptable but £150 for a security company who spent less than ten minutes taking her details seems a bit like profiteering. "

You’ve had someone from loss prevention explain this further up.

Your ‘friends’ version of events doesn’t stack up for the results. Perhaps think twice before stealing in future.

over a year ago

"Would people think differently if the person in question stole to feed children?"

No Because there is help available you just have to ask for it. there is absolutely no reason anybody would need to steal to feed their children in the UK.

over a year ago

No. There are ways to get food that doesn’t involve becoming a criminal.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Why couldn't your friend ask you for the money?

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Why couldn't your friend ask you for the money?"

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Probably not.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"put her in prison. She was starving so she stole. She will get 3 meals a day there. Jobs a good un"

Nothing like a bit of empathy.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Would people think differently if the person in question stole to feed children?

No Because there is help available you just have to ask for it. there is absolutely no reason anybody would need to steal to feed their children in the UK."

What help?

over a year ago

Sounds like the security firm is now trying to steal £150 from the shop lifter.

Like parking firms who haven't got a leg to stand on but they still demand money and sent out fake court letter.

I whipe my arse on all the letters. A lot of people get bullied into paying something which they really don't have to pay and companies who know the law are legally robbing vulnerable people and have been getting away with it for years.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Would people think differently if the person in question stole to feed children?

No Because there is help available you just have to ask for it. there is absolutely no reason anybody would need to steal to feed their children in the UK.

What help?"

Food banks, friends, family

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

Food banks, friends, family"

As above you need to be referred to a football k which I'm guessing would take Rome.

I'm also guessing if you have a well off family..you are probally unlikely to resort to shoplifting.

By *arteeneWoman
over a year ago

aylesbury

The security firm is not trying to steal from a shop lifter

Stealing from anyone is an offence to many think well it’s only a shop what people forget is a lot of business go out of Business because people steal from them ,and jobs are lost .

People should not break the law then they would not get a bill .

If someone broke into your house would you not want compensation

"Sounds like the security firm is now trying to steal £150 from the shop lifter.

Like parking firms who haven't got a leg to stand on but they still demand money and sent out fake court letter.

I whipe my arse on all the letters. A lot of people get bullied into paying something which they really don't have to pay and companies who know the law are legally robbing vulnerable people and have been getting away with it for years. "

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

What help?

As above you need to be referred to a football k which I'm guessing would take Rome.

I'm also guessing if you have a well off family..you are probally unlikely to resort to shoplifting."

Football k? Rome? I'm not understanding that.

You don't need a well of family.A loaf of bread costs 50p. She has a friend in the OP. Surely she could of asked her if was so desperate.

over a year ago

"Wow so much judging. These are stressful times and sometimes we do stupid things without thinking. Speak to the Citizens advice I say, and good luck to your friend."

My thoughts exactly

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"

Stealing from anyone is an offence to many think well it’s only a shop what people forget is a lot of business go out of Business because people steal from them ,and jobs are lost .

I whipe my arse on all the letters. A lot of people get bullied into paying something which they really don't have to pay and companies who know the law are legally robbing vulnerable people and have been getting away with it for years. "

If someone robs your house you dont get compensation.

There is a also a minor difference between an oap robbing some painkillers from a shop and some snack heads rifling a house.

over a year ago

No.

I've been burgled and had my wallet stolen in a separate instance.

After the burglary I had to move house, it's a horrible thing.

Shoplifting/burglary/theft, all the same. I have no sympathy at all regardless of anyones situation.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

I'm also guessing if you have a well off family..you are probally unlikely to resort to shoplifting.

You don't need a well of family.A loaf of bread costs 50p. She has a friend in the OP. Surely she could of asked her if was so desperate."

Sorry typo.

If you go to a foodbank you need to be referred which takes time.

Some times people are forced to do desperate things.

For those sitting on their high horse I'd point them in the direction of I Daniel Blake.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

No.

I've been burgled and had my wallet stolen in a separate instance.

After the burglary I had to move house, it's a horrible thing.

Shoplifting/burglary/theft, all the same. I have no sympathy at all regardless of anyones situation."

No they are completely different.

By *arteeneWoman
over a year ago

aylesbury

So if the woman is over 65 she should not of been passed onto civil recovery

It’s under 14 over 65 . And other reasons for not paying

"The four items stolen were toiletries (pain

relief) which were still in a saleable condition. The lady is a pensioner who won't ever be going to work again so she wonders if a criminal record would be a detriment to her if she didn't pay the £150 "security charge" "

over a year ago

What help?

You don't need a well of family.A loaf of bread costs 50p. She has a friend in the OP. Surely she could of asked her if was so desperate.

Sorry typo.

For those sitting on their high horse I'd point them in the direction of I Daniel Blake."

Even when referred i don't think you get free rein to take even what you need, i think you get a couple of slots? Maybe it depends on the referral

over a year ago

What help?

I'm also guessing if you have a well off family..you are probally unlikely to resort to shoplifting."

No it doesn't take time, normally the same day. You can get a foodbank voucher from some doctors surgery's and a lot of schools doing them, social services have them as do job centres. You can get them from a lot of local churches, Local housing office, Support worker ect...

Also the children will get free school meals and in the holidays a lot of schools and churches have provision.

Anyone that wanted a foodbank voucher could get one the same day in most cases. There are hardship funds at local housing officers for council tenants and we have a benefit system. Quite a lot of schools or so have a small cupboard with emergency food in available to families. There is plenty of help you just need to ask.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

Sorry typo.

For those sitting on their high horse I'd point them in the direction of I Daniel Blake.

Even when referred i don't think you get free rein to take even what you need, i think you get a couple of slots? Maybe it depends on the referral

"

They will probably do an assessment etc..it will prob take weeks.

over a year ago

What help?

Sorry typo.

"

Totally depends on the type of food bank. In most you get given an emergency food parcel with basics. Its enough to feed the amount of people in their family.

My local food bank gives enough for 5 to 7 days depending on requirements.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Anyone can send an invoice , unless they can prove she read, understood and agreed to the terms of the transaction for “security services” it’s not enforceable in any county court, just tell her reply “cease desist” I have hundreds of these (not for shoplifting)

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

No it doesn't take time, normally the same day. You can get a foodbank voucher from some doctors surgery's and a lot of schools doing them, social services have them as do job centres. You can get them from a lot of local churches, Local housing office, Support worker ect...

Also the children will get free school meals and in the holidays a lot of schools and churches have provision.

Anyone that wanted a foodbank voucher could get one the same day in most cases. There are hardship funds at local housing officers for council tenants and we have a benefit system. Quite a lot of schools or so have a small cupboard with emergency food in available to families. There is plenty of help you just need to ask."

According to the citizens advice bureau you need a referral?

over a year ago

What help?

Sorry typo.

They will probably do an assessment etc..it will prob take weeks."

That is not how it works. The most a family with need to wait would be maybe 2 days if they have to phone their social worker and they can't get through to them or something like that but there are plenty of places that will refer. Also if somebody turned up in absolute desperate need at a food bank they will almost certainly be given at least one days of food and it would be explained to them where they could get a voucher from.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I probably wouldn’t begrudge someone shoplifting to feed their family. There are multiple reasons why they would not or could not reach out.

Swerved a little from the OP somewhat.

I think citizens advice would be the best course of action OP.

over a year ago

What help?

Anyone that wanted a foodbank voucher could get one the same day in most cases. There are hardship funds at local housing officers for council tenants and we have a benefit system. Quite a lot of schools or so have a small cupboard with emergency food in available to families. There is plenty of help you just need to ask.

According to the citizens advice bureau you need a referral?"

Back can be given by almost any professional and also loads of churches and schools have them. What they mean via referrals you can't just turn off. You simply go to one of the places that does them, tell them your situation they fill the form and find the food bank to tell them your way.

Nobody would wait more than about 2 days .

over a year ago

No

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

Back can be given by almost any professional and also loads of churches and schools have them. What they mean via referrals you can't just turn off. You simply go to one of the places that does them, tell them your situation they fill the form and find the food bank to tell them your way.

Nobody would wait more than about 2 days . "

2 days with no food,?

over a year ago

Club Meets Only

What help?

Anyone that wanted a foodbank voucher could get one the same day in most cases. There are hardship funds at local housing officers for council tenants and we have a benefit system. Quite a lot of schools or so have a small cupboard with emergency food in available to families. There is plenty of help you just need to ask."

There is an awful lot of help & for a lot of us its not that hard to ask for advice/help or to source the places of help available for ourselves.

There are folk who for whatever reason can't, say for example an older person who isn't tech/web savvy, they may not have many people they can call etc

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

What help?

Sorry typo.

They will probably do an assessment etc..it will prob take weeks."

No, it doesn't. A close friend of ours helps out at a local food bank run by the church. They are there to help in moments of crisis.

over a year ago

What help?

Nobody would wait more than about 2 days .

2 days with no food,?"

But you wouldn't have to, You would have to do what the rest of us do and plan ahead if you know you are going to run out of food in say 2 or 3 days and you have no money coming in till goodness knows when then surely you've thought it out before you run out of food.

Obviously there are unforseen emergencies but there is also provision for that.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"A friend of mine was caught stealing £14 of goods from a large supermarket chain. She has been banned from all their stores. She has now been sent a demand for £150 for security cost fees. Is she obliged to pay this ? "

Probably not. Unless the supermarket insists on taking her to court or passes it on to debt recovery company (baliffs).

My advice would be for her to ignore it and see what the supermarket do next, whether they send her a reminder or forget about it.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

Sorry typo.

No, it doesn't. A close friend of ours helps out at a local food bank run by the church. They are there to help in moments of crisis."

Maybe not weeks but still a few days in an absolute emergency.

over a year ago

What help?

There is an awful lot of help & for a lot of us its not that hard to ask for advice/help or to source the places of help available for ourselves.

There are folk who for whatever reason can't, say for example an older person who isn't tech/web savvy, they may not have many people they can call etc "

Doctors surgeries often have information available for older people in financial difficulties.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

There are folk who for whatever reason can't, say for example an older person who isn't tech/web savvy, they may not have many people they can call etc "

It's easy to sit here and say "oh the help is out there and it's easy to get'

I hope to God I'm never in that position

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"once a thief always a thief.

lucky she hasnt had her hand chopped off."

over a year ago

What help?

Sorry typo.

No, it doesn't. A close friend of ours helps out at a local food bank run by the church. They are there to help in moments of crisis.

Maybe not weeks but still a few days in an absolute emergency. "

No you wouldn't because like I said there is emergency provision available. I refer families to these services all the time.

There is so many options. No one needs to steal food.

over a year ago

Leeds

In no way do I condone shoplifting (although I accept some people are in desperate circumstances) My thread was to ask if it is legal for a private security firm (rather than the council) to fine someone £150.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

There are folk who for whatever reason can't, say for example an older person who isn't tech/web savvy, they may not have many people they can call etc

Doctors surgeries often have information available for older people in financial difficulties."

Can you go into a drs?

over a year ago

What help?

I hope to God I'm never in that position "

But it really is. There are so many options and yes some people might be too proud to ask but does that mean but they can just steal what they want?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

Sorry typo.

No you wouldn't because like I said there is emergency provision available. I refer families to these services all the time.

There is so many options. No one needs to steal food. "

She didnt steal food

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

What help?

I hope to God I'm never in that position "

I hope you aren't too because you aren't willing to listen to people telling you that there is help available.

over a year ago

What help?

Doctors surgeries often have information available for older people in financial difficulties.

Can you go into a drs?"

They have a telephone look I don't know what your problem is I'm why you're trying to suggest there is no option but for people to steal. There are loads of options available.

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

"Wow so much judging. These are stressful times and sometimes we do stupid things without thinking. Speak to the Citizens advice I say, and good luck to your friend."

over a year ago

What help?

Sorry typo.

There is so many options. No one needs to steal food.

She didnt steal food "

I know she didn't but this is in response to a question but somebody asked about whether somebody should steal food to feed their family why are you being difficult?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

But it really is. There are so many options and yes some people might be too proud to ask but does that mean but they can just steal what they want? "

Are you aware of the homeless situation in this country?

Have you any idea how many people are struggling to survive?

Some people do stupid things when they are desperate.

over a year ago

Can you send your mate my number? Have a Xmas shopping list here I could do with getting ?

over a year ago

There are food banks for people who can't afford basics."

Exactly and many of us are paying taxes that go to provide all sorts of benefits for these people.

It’s great that we also have to cover the costs of their thieving by prices reflecting it.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"Can you send your mate my number? Have a Xmas shopping list here I could do with getting ? "

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

Can you go into a drs?

They have a telephone look I don't know what your problem is I'm why you're trying to suggest there is no option but for people to steal. There are loads of options available."

I'm not saying there is no option

I'm saying people sometimes do stupid things when they are desperate.

Again..go and watch I Daniel Blake and then come back and tell.me about the 'loads of options.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Exactly and many of us are paying taxes that go to provide all sorts of benefits for these people.

It’s great that we also have to cover the costs of their thieving by prices reflecting it. "

Jesus wept.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Of course however the cost of shoplifting does get passed onto the consumer which sucks.

Probably why they do civil recovery as well now.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

The lack of empathy on this thread is unbelievable. She wasnt stealing food she was a pensioner stealing painkillers. Do food banks supply painkillers?

over a year ago

What help?

But it really is. There are so many options and yes some people might be too proud to ask but does that mean but they can just steal what they want?

"

OK here we go I knew you were going to say something like this.

Yes I am very aware, I grew up in the care system and was homeless until the age of 28, I have known major hardship I have lived in hostels I've none people who have really suffered as have I, Oil so no there is help available and I've never stolen anything in my life.

The problem is people do not want to take personal responsibility now business comes so far from the original point.

I don't know the mental States of the person and I only have sympathy for them if they really did feel that was their only option. But it is also not an option to just say, oh well they might have a perfectly good reason because there is no good reason to break the law like that.

over a year ago

"The lack of empathy on this thread is unbelievable. She wasnt stealing food she was a pensioner stealing painkillers. Do food banks supply painkillers?"

I don't know what your talking about because no one is saying but food banks supply painkillers a question was asked later on in the thread and people are discussing it how does that show lack of empathy?

Also in the 16 pence for a pack of paracetamol.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

The OP wasn't about theft to put food on the table, it was apparently painkillers (x4 boxes) with a value of £14. That's £3.50 a pack. The only painkillers you might struggle to get on prescription are plain paracetamol and ibuprofen and they cost pennies if you buy (or nick) own brand ones, like 30p. I do not believe that someone would not be able to get a prescription for a painkiller that is available OTC, on the open shelf, at the £3.50 cost bracket. If the person is not exempt though, the £3.50 item would cost £9.20 or whatever the prescription charge is. Frankly, a 1:1 with a pharmacist for free or a trip to the out of hours GP might have generated some appropriate pain relief help.

Other than paracetamol/ibuprofen, all other OTC pain killers like low dose diclofenac, Migraleve and anything else with codeine in, etc are kept behind a counter and you need to ask a pharmacy assistant for them. You can buy them, but only if you answer their questions in a satisfactory manner. You'd struggle to nick 4 packs of them and scarper.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"The lack of empathy on this thread is unbelievable. She wasnt stealing food she was a pensioner stealing painkillers. Do food banks supply painkillers?"

That Tory landslide makes more and more sense each day.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

OAP's get free prescriptions. Why didn't she just ask her GP?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"The lack of empathy on this thread is unbelievable. She wasnt stealing food she was a pensioner stealing painkillers. Do food banks supply painkillers?

I don't know what your talking about because no one is saying but food banks supply painkillers a question was asked later on in the thread and people are discussing it how does that show lack of empathy?

Also in the 16 pence for a pack of paracetamol."

lack of empathy for a pensioner stealing pain killers some people on this thread have shocked me with their holier than though attitude people who harp on how kind caring and sympathetic they are

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

Yes I am very aware, I grew up in the care system and was homeless until the age of 28, I have known major hardship I have lived in hostels I've none people who have really suffered as have I, Oil so no there is help available and I've never stolen anything in my life.

The problem is people do not want to take personal responsibility now business comes so far from the original point.

I don't know the mental States of the person and I only have sympathy for them if they really did feel that was their only option. But it is also not an option to just say, oh well they might have a perfectly good reason because there is no good reason to break the law like that."

I'm saying we dont know the full situation but people are quick to castigated her and compare her to a house robber.

I dont know the full situation but I'm guessing she was probslly desperate and did something a bit stupid.

It happens.we are human

Although everyone on here appears to be applying for fucking sainthood.

over a year ago

"The OP wasn't about theft to put food on the table, it was apparently painkillers (x4 boxes) with a value of £14. That's £3.50 a pack. The only painkillers you might struggle to get on prescription are plain paracetamol and ibuprofen and they cost pennies if you buy (or nick) own brand ones, like 30p. I do not believe that someone would not be able to get a prescription for a painkiller that is available OTC, on the open shelf, at the £3.50 cost bracket. If the person is not exempt though, the £3.50 item would cost £9.20 or whatever the prescription charge is. Frankly, a 1:1 with a pharmacist for free or a trip to the out of hours GP might have generated some appropriate pain relief help.

Other than paracetamol/ibuprofen, all other OTC pain killers like low dose diclofenac, Migraleve and anything else with codeine in, etc are kept behind a counter and you need to ask a pharmacy assistant for them. You can buy them, but only if you answer their questions in a satisfactory manner. You'd struggle to nick 4 packs of them and scarper. "

Absolutely. no that wasn't what the OP was but I was replying to to a poster who asked People would feel differently if someone was stealing to feed their children.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

[Removed by poster at 07/10/20 22:22:07]

over a year ago

"The lack of empathy on this thread is unbelievable. She wasnt stealing food she was a pensioner stealing painkillers. Do food banks supply painkillers?

Also in the 16 pence for a pack of paracetamol.lack of empathy for a pensioner stealing pain killers some people on this thread have shocked me with their holier than though attitude people who harp on how kind caring and sympathetic they are"

Paracetamols are 30 pence maximum. It's not a lack of empathy but there is no excuse for stealing.

over a year ago

What help?

I don't know the mental States of the person and I only have sympathy for them if they really did feel that was their only option. But it is also not an option to just say, oh well they might have a perfectly good reason because there is no good reason to break the law like that.

I'm saying we dont know the full situation but people are quick to castigated her and compare her to a house robber.

I dont know the full situation but I'm guessing she was probslly desperate and did something a bit stupid.

It happens.we are human

Although everyone on here appears to be applying for fucking sainthood."

One person compare that.

It's not appropriate or legal to steal and am sorry but I will not have anyone say it's ever justified. Yes this person may need help then I'm sorry but it's their responsibility to ask for it.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

OAP's get free prescriptions. Why didn't she just ask her GP?"

They weren't available on prescription.

Why are people assuming they are paracetamol?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Also in the 16 pence for a pack of paracetamol.lack of empathy for a pensioner stealing pain killers some people on this thread have shocked me with their holier than though attitude people who harp on how kind caring and sympathetic they are

Paracetamols are 30 pence maximum. It's not a lack of empathy but there is no excuse for stealing. "

Who said anything about paracetamol?

over a year ago

Why are people assuming they are paracetamol?"

Because any painkiller except paracetamols is available on prescription.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

It's not appropriate or legal to steal and am sorry but I will not have anyone say it's ever justified. Yes this person may need help then I'm sorry but it's their responsibility to ask for it.

"

Another said she should go to prison.

Some people actually need help in our society

over a year ago

North West

I'm curious to know what painkiller isn't available on prescription. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are usually not, because they are very cheap in supermarkets but a GP still has some discretion. Every other painkiller I can think of (and I can think of a LOT) are all available on prescription, which pensioners do not have to pay for. Genuinely curious.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

What painkillers can you buy in a shop that aren't available on prescription?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Why are people assuming they are paracetamol?

I'm curious to know what painkiller isn't available on prescription. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are usually not, because they are very cheap in supermarkets but a GP still has some discretion. Every other painkiller I can think of (and I can think of a LOT) are all available on prescription, which pensioners do not have to pay for. Genuinely curious. "

Dunno.

Only repeating what the op said.

over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

Some people actually need help in our society "

So because 1 or 2 people have rather extreme views you are taking out on everybody else but has perfectly reasonable and rational contributions to add. Like I said and I will say it one last time I am sure this lady needs some help and I hope but she doesn't have to pay a massive fine for 1 mistake. How ever like I said we all have personal responsibility to ask for help when we need it.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

So because 1 or 2 people have rather extreme views you are taking out on everybody else but has perfectly reasonable and rational contributions to add. Like I said and I will say it one last time I am sure this lady needs some help and I hope but she doesn't have to pay a massive fine for 1 mistake. How ever like I said we all have personal responsibility to ask for help when we need it."

Read back through the thread

A good 90% immediately said she got what she deserved .

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

That Tory landslide makes more and more sense each day."

There is still time for you to bring Brexit into this one Lionel

over a year ago

Leeds

"

What painkillers can you buy in a shop that aren't available on prescription? "

It was Deep Freeze aerosol pain relief

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

seriously though people need to put things into perspective. She stole £14 worth of items its hardly up there with crime of the century

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

There is still time for you to bring Brexit into this one Lionel "

I havent mentioned the b word

over a year ago

Leeds

"

What painkillers can you buy in a shop that aren't available on prescription? "

over a year ago

That Tory landslide makes more and more sense each day."

People’s views on this have nothing to do with politics. Why politicise this subject? It’s convenient for you to label anyone that doesn’t support your view as a Tory, just becuase you evidently didn’t vote for them. Peope were asked if the lady should pay £150 coats for her theft - whatever you want to call it - and for the most part, people said yes, she should. That’s not a political, but a Moral, perspective.

over a year ago

"seriously though people need to put things into perspective. She stole £14 worth of items its hardly up there with crime of the century"

My friend once stole a traffic cone and received 27 hours

Community service.

over a year ago

"

"

Is this the 1st time the person in question has been in trouble for something like this? It could be that the reason she's been fined is that she's a repeat offender.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

People’s views on this have nothing to do with politics. Why politicise this subject? It’s convenient for you to label anyone that doesn’t support your view as a Tory, just becuase you evidently didn’t vote for them. Peope were asked if the lady should pay £150 coats for her theft - whatever you want to call it - and for the most part, people said yes, she should. That’s not a political, but a Moral, perspective. "

I take it back.

over a year ago

People’s views on this have nothing to do with politics. Why politicise this subject? It’s convenient for you to label anyone that doesn’t support your view as a Tory, just becuase you evidently didn’t vote for them. Peope were asked if the lady should pay £150 coats for her theft - whatever you want to call it - and for the most part, people said yes, she should. That’s not a political, but a Moral, perspective. "

Yep, I Don't agree with him and I'm yellow though and though.

over a year ago

North West

"

"

Sally, your friend can get far more effective treatment on prescription, for free if they are a pensioner. Perhaps that might help her in future.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

So because 1 or 2 people have rather extreme views you are taking out on everybody else but has perfectly reasonable and rational contributions to add. Like I said and I will say it one last time I am sure this lady needs some help and I hope but she doesn't have to pay a massive fine for 1 mistake. How ever like I said we all have personal responsibility to ask for help when we need it."

your lack of compassion is unbelievable. Not everyone has the mental capacity to take personal responsability i know i cant at times. Theres a lot of ill and vulnererale people in society. Also it appears the woman was in a lot of pain which in itself can do odd things to you

over a year ago

Leeds

"

Sally, your friend can get far more effective treatment on prescription, for free if they are a pensioner. Perhaps that might help her in future. "

Thank you. I will let her know.

over a year ago

Club Meets Only

"seriously though people need to put things into perspective. She stole £14 worth of items its hardly up there with crime of the century

My friend once stole a traffic cone and received 27 hours

Community service. "

over a year ago

Leeds

"

Is this the 1st time the person in question has been in trouble for something like this? It could be that the reason she's been fined is that she's a repeat offender. "

She has never even had a parking ticket or speeding fine in her life and she is 83.

over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

So because 1 or 2 people have rather extreme views you are taking out on everybody else but has perfectly reasonable and rational contributions to add. Like I said and I will say it one last time I am sure this lady needs some help and I hope but she doesn't have to pay a massive fine for 1 mistake. How ever like I said we all have personal responsibility to ask for help when we need it.your lack of compassion is unbelievable. Not everyone has the mental capacity to take personal responsability i know i cant at times. Theres a lot of ill and vulnererale people in society. Also it appears the woman was in a lot of pain which in itself can do odd things to you"

So even though you have no idea of my mental health Status or my background you have decided that simply because I don't agree with someone shoplifting I have no compassion.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"

Is this the 1st time the person in question has been in trouble for something like this? It could be that the reason she's been fined is that she's a repeat offender.

She has never even had a parking ticket or speeding fine in her life and she is 83. "

Stick her in jail

over a year ago

"

She has never even had a parking ticket or speeding fine in her life and she is 83. "

In that case maybe she needs some mental health support.

I would see if she'd let you contact her doctor for her or even age UK.

Also age UK have access to legal advice so they might be able to offer a suggestion about a fine.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

So because 1 or 2 people have rather extreme views you are taking out on everybody else but has perfectly reasonable and rational contributions to add. Like I said and I will say it one last time I am sure this lady needs some help and I hope but she doesn't have to pay a massive fine for 1 mistake. How ever like I said we all have personal responsibility to ask for help when we need it.your lack of compassion is unbelievable. Not everyone has the mental capacity to take personal responsability i know i cant at times. Theres a lot of ill and vulnererale people in society. Also it appears the woman was in a lot of pain which in itself can do odd things to you

So even though you have no idea of my mental health Status or my background you have decided that simply because I don't agree with someone shoplifting I have no compassion.

"

i dont need to know anything i make my judgements based on whwhat i read and i do know about your babackground as youve just posted about it

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

I really don’t understand the associated drama with this post. Stealing is wrong. It’s illegal. As shit as life can be there are other options and this is from someone who has hit the floor.

Fines are shit. But if it was a court fine would people be as outraged? It seems that because it’s civil there’s an element of debate?

Does it matter if the person was a thug or in desperate need of something? In the eyes of the law no.

We have lines and we have them for a reason. As compassionate as you might be towards circumstance, this doesn’t change the fact that theft is wrong.

over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

So because 1 or 2 people have rather extreme views you are taking out on everybody else but has perfectly reasonable and rational contributions to add. Like I said and I will say it one last time I am sure this lady needs some help and I hope but she doesn't have to pay a massive fine for 1 mistake. How ever like I said we all have personal responsibility to ask for help when we need it.your lack of compassion is unbelievable. Not everyone has the mental capacity to take personal responsability i know i cant at times. Theres a lot of ill and vulnererale people in society. Also it appears the woman was in a lot of pain which in itself can do odd things to you

i dont need to know anything i make my judgements based on whwhat i read and i do know about your babackground as youve just posted about it"

So you are telling me not to judge someone but you're happy to judge me is that correct?

over a year ago

"I really don’t understand the associated drama with this post. Stealing is wrong. It’s illegal. As shit as life can be there are other options and this is from someone who has hit the floor.

Fines are shit. But if it was a court fine would people be as outraged? It seems that because it’s civil there’s an element of debate?

Does it matter if the person was a thug or in desperate need of something? In the eyes of the law no.

We have lines and we have them for a reason. As compassionate as you might be towards circumstance, this doesn’t change the fact that theft is wrong. "

Exactly. But it seems that you have to know the full history and background of somebody before your allowed to have an opinion on whether stealing is wrong.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

"

If the solution to everyone problems was so easy can I ask why do we have so many people living on the streets?

Why are kids going hungry?

Why cant old people afford heating?

Some people have complex issues and the solution is very rarely..The answer is out there if you want it.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

i dont need to know anything i make my judgements based on whwhat i read and i do know about your babackground as youve just posted about it

So you are telling me not to judge someone but you're happy to judge me is that correct?"

If thats how you want to read it so be it ive drawn my conclusions

over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

So you are telling me not to judge someone but you're happy to judge me is that correct?If thats how you want to read it so be it ive drawn my conclusions"

We can tell.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

"

Sally, I really hope she's going to be ok.

Could you take her to CAB? As I'm concerned that she may feel she has no option but to pay. Yes, stealing is wrong, but FFS, the poor woman has suffered enough.

And for everyone else on here telling her to "get them on prescription". Its hard enough getting to see a DR at the best of times, let alone Covid-19!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

So you are telling me not to judge someone but you're happy to judge me is that correct?If thats how you want to read it so be it ive drawn my conclusions

We can tell. "

im glad its obvious not you but the whole thread has sickened me

over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

So you are telling me not to judge someone but you're happy to judge me is that correct?If thats how you want to read it so be it ive drawn my conclusions

We can tell. im glad its obvious not you but the whole thread has sickened me"

I am not sure why though because when people start to getting more information about this lady people were more sympathetic because its seems like there us more going on her her.

it doesn't change the fact that stealing is illegal.

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"

Ffs.. I have mental illness. Can I steal? No.

If she’s in need she clearly needs assistance. Does that change the fact that theft is wrong? No.

Two entire separate issues.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

We can tell. im glad its obvious not you but the whole thread has sickened me

I am not sure why though because when people start to getting more information about this lady people were more sympathetic because its seems like there us more going on her her.

it doesn't change the fact that stealing is illegal. "

You can evade millions on tax and get a slap on the wrist.

But if you rob a painkiller spray you get hammered.

Standard.

over a year ago

Club Meets Only

"

Standard."

That sounds about right tbh

over a year ago

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

Standard."

Who can? Millionaires? I bet there arent as many millionaires evading tax as there are people stealing traffic cones !

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

Standard.

Who can? Millionaires? I bet there arent as many millionaires evading tax as there are people stealing traffic cones ! "

Someone was sued today by the police for £10m in assets, the police know they wash money from drugs, fraud and theft into legit. property development but the guy can afford better lawyers than the state so the settler for a civil case and he’s free to carry on - less £10m. So yes millionaires can do what they like

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

Standard.

Who can? Millionaires? I bet there arent as many millionaires evading tax as there are people stealing traffic cones ! "

Yep I heard it's a big problem.

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

Standard."

It’s shit yes. But tax evasion has no relation to someone robbing in Asda. If nobody stuck to the jaw we would have anarchy. The systems broke. So is society.

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

Also in the 16 pence for a pack of paracetamol.lack of empathy for a pensioner stealing pain killers some people on this thread have shocked me with their holier than though attitude people who harp on how kind caring and sympathetic they are"

Sadly I’m not shocked..

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

Standard.

It’s shit yes. But tax evasion has no relation to someone robbing in Asda. If nobody stuck to the jaw we would have anarchy. The systems broke. So is society."

Not paying the appropriate tax is stealing.

Robbing something from the asda is stealing.

The penalties are quite different.

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

What help?

It happens.we are human

One person compare that.

Standard.

It’s shit yes. But tax evasion has no relation to someone robbing in Asda. If nobody stuck to the jaw we would have anarchy. The systems broke. So is society.

Not paying the appropriate tax is stealing.

Robbing something from the asda is stealing.

The penalties are quite different. "

Neither is right. Take it up with politicians and the judicial system.

over a year ago

Don't do the crime then no need to repay a fine.. Simple.

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple
over a year ago

norwich

Your friend is under no obligation to pay unless order by a court after being charged by the police.

A lot of people losing their minds over shoplifting 14 quids worth of stuff from ASDA

I don't know if she stole out of desperation or just being silly. Either way its no biggy, she made a mistake that's all.

Hope she's ok

X

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Don't do the crime then no need to repay a fine.. Simple.

"

It's not that black and white.

over a year ago

There but for the grace of God, go I

By *ohn8210tCouple
over a year ago

Warwick

Yes it is a biggy ! Stealing is stealing.

If you go to a shop you PAY like all good citizens! What does it matter people might say If a few items go missing.

What happens if your friend gets away with it . Do it again- and again !

There’s hundreds of I pods/ smart speakers etc in the electrical shops . What does it matter if one goes missing ??? What about in our shop ? We have lots of small of ornaments. Does it matter we loose some? Who pays the vat on these stolen items ??? And replaces them ? Where do you draw the line ???

We had our car stolen and we caught the bounders. One was out of prison with a tag on just one day !!!! Just got a slapped wrist. We lost our car and they wouldn’t say where it had gone. We lost thousands, the insurance went up like a rocket. I failed to make the monthly instalment as I understand the insurance settle this but they did not ! We got blacklisted for being a victim of theft !!

If you go past Bristol docks there’s 1000s of cars there waiting to come in ! Does it matter if one goes missing ?

Where do we stop !

There’s plenty of food banks- social help etc etc.

A friend of ours caught someone stealing ‘His‘ produce out of a field. They gave the sob story of no job or money, so he helped them out !

He made him go to work starting at 5.00 am in the dark and cold the next day, working in the fields like all the other law abiding, tax paying workers. He paid the bounder his wage at the end of the month .

Hopefully it might of done some good ?

Don’t Steal!

Ps probably going to get lots of flack for this post !

over a year ago

"

Call it what you like.. The security firm is asking for a hundred and fifty quid and without the court backing them up there's not much they can do about it.

Post new Message to Thread