Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Woke media

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

In the current political climate the term "woke media" seems to be a fashionable term that has been hijacked by people such as Nigel Farage, Ian Dale, Piers Morgan and many others and used as a label to criticise the media. I find it sad that people would actually try to use the fact that media channels or any other group are aware of matters of social, racial or any other form of injustice, surely being classed as"woke" should be something to be proud of.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"In the current political climate the term "woke media" seems to be a fashionable term that has been hijacked by people such as Nigel Farage, Ian Dale, Piers Morgan and many others and used as a label to criticise the media. I find it sad that people would actually try to use the fact that media channels or any other group are aware of matters of social, racial or any other form of injustice, surely being classed as"woke" should be something to be proud of. "

Don't you think it's because "woke" means different things to different people. It's lazy. And then when people have different understanding of it they can be criticised.

I'm not sure that many would disagree with media (and society) being socially responsible. But the issue I believe comes from "woke" being used to drive divisive agendas and shame people who don't share the same agenda. For me it is pretty much always used in a negative way.

"wake up"... "if you're not woke you're broke" type sly insinuations. I dislike the word and the way it is used to divide us. But I am all for socially responsible, fact checked, accurate media.

over a year ago

Yes you are right, as in a lot of cases the original intent of a word can be taken and twisted by people meaning that an admirable trait can in fact be turned into an insult. It's always happed, I guess it's just more prevalent in today's polarised society.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Yes you are right, as in a lot of cases the original intent of a word can be taken and twisted by people meaning that an admirable trait can in fact be turned into an insult. It's always happed, I guess it's just more prevalent in today's polarised society. "

I think the trouble is that much of the content forced into our world is personality led. The ridiculous cult of celebrity. They build a persona and people gravitate to the persona rather than the message. "I like piers morgan therefore anything piers morgan says is correct and, well researched" (I don't by the way! But using him as an example)

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I think the trouble is "woke" has come to take on multiple meanings and used both as an insult and a badge of honour by different people/groups.

There's no doubt there are some who deliberately and proudly take a "woke" stance just to look good and because they think it's the "right thing to say", or wear it as some kind of badge of honour to say "look at me and how wonderful I am" and I guess the counter action to that is it being used as an insult.

Personally I don't see the need to fly under any particular flag and just stick to my own principles which I *know* are grounded in a good set of values and morals and allow people to judge me on that rather than having any need to prove anything to anyone.

over a year ago

Yes hence my use of the term "hijacked". I am guessing that some (not all) people have no idea what the word actually means.

As for Piers Morgan, I class him as the Howard Stern of British TV but that's my personal view and not a label.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think the terms are silly. Look to substance not labels (they're a starting point only).

The quality and the partisan nature of reporting are often troubling, but throwing out things like woke, politically correct, social justice, etc... Yawn. Says more about the person throwing out the word.

By *ensual -lover69Man
over a year ago

Blackburn

"In the current political climate the term "woke media" seems to be a fashionable term that has been hijacked by people such as Nigel Farage, Ian Dale, Piers Morgan and many others and used as a label to criticise the media. I find it sad that people would actually try to use the fact that media channels or any other group are aware of matters of social, racial or any other form of injustice, surely being classed as"woke" should be something to be proud of.

Don't you think it's because "woke" means different things to different people. It's lazy. And then when people have different understanding of it they can be criticised.

I'm not sure that many would disagree with media (and society) being socially responsible. But the issue I believe comes from "woke" being used to drive divisive agendas and shame people who don't share the same agenda. For me it is pretty much always used in a negative way.

"wake up"... "if you're not woke you're broke" type sly insinuations. I dislike the word and the way it is used to divide us. But I am all for socially responsible, fact checked, accurate media. "

By *ensual -lover69Man
over a year ago

Blackburn

"In the current political climate the term "woke media" seems to be a fashionable term that has been hijacked by people such as Nigel Farage, Ian Dale, Piers Morgan and many others and used as a label to criticise the media. I find it sad that people would actually try to use the fact that media channels or any other group are aware of matters of social, racial or any other form of injustice, surely being classed as"woke" should be something to be proud of. "

As someone who has suffered due to the tabloid press, I think that Trump isn't far wrong when he talks about false news

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Woke" is black slang from the US which refers to being "awakened to racial injustices":

"I been sleeping all my life. And now that Mr. Garvey done woke me up, I'm gon' stay woke. And I'm gon help him wake up other black folk."

It's been more generally adopted by especially young people to refer more generally to awareness of social injustice.

And of course, the fascists have done a real number, getting ignorant people to attack it without really understanding what it ever meant, and what it means now.

Make no mistake: if you attack "woke culture" then you are, at best, a useful idiot to fascists that will want to oppress you next after they've turned back the tide of progress.

You're not part of the "winning team" - the "winners" will become an ever-decreasing band of elites that hoard power while turning everyone else against each other.

Get comfortable licking boot.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

""Woke" is black slang from the US which refers to being "awakened to racial injustices":

"I been sleeping all my life. And now that Mr. Garvey done woke me up, I'm gon' stay woke. And I'm gon help him wake up other black folk."

It's been more generally adopted by especially young people to refer more generally to awareness of social injustice.

And of course, the fascists have done a real number, getting ignorant people to attack it without really understanding what it ever meant, and what it means now.

Make no mistake: if you attack "woke culture" then you are, at best, a useful idiot to fascists that will want to oppress you next after they've turned back the tide of progress.

You're not part of the "winning team" - the "winners" will become an ever-decreasing band of elites that hoard power while turning everyone else against each other.

Get comfortable licking boot."

*Standing ovation*

over a year ago

Yes there are undoubtably instances of fake news but I recently saw what was outwardly a sensible woman and the CEO of a company telling people to not watch / listen to main stream media (I hate that term) and to form their opinions using other means. This is very dangerous as it leads people to rely on hearsay and social media which as everybody knows is much more untrustworthy than traditional media. I might add that this woman then went on to post a doctored picture of Bill Gates contains text about controlling people by chipping them and turning off their finances if they did not comply with state requirements and underneath writing "Opinions people?". It was totally fake and when I challenged her people started to say "...seen it on Facebook", it's on the "dark web". If people don't use multiple sources of main stream media where do they get their news from ?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

There's always been manipulation and falsehood in the media or from authoritative sources. It's just now it's a slogan to scream at people

over a year ago

lebron james.

stands up for black lives matter.

but doesnt say anything on china's terrible human rights record but supports the nba playing there.

By *ensual -lover69Man
over a year ago

Blackburn

"

Yes there are undoubtably instances of fake news but I recently saw what was outwardly a sensible woman and the CEO of a company telling people to not watch / listen to main stream media (I hate that term) and to form their opinions using other means. This is very dangerous as it leads people to rely on hearsay and social media which as everybody knows is much more untrustworthy than traditional media. I might add that this woman then went on to post a doctored picture of Bill Gates contains text about controlling people by chipping them and turning off their finances if they did not comply with state requirements and underneath writing "Opinions people?". It was totally fake and when I challenged her people started to say "...seen it on Facebook", it's on the "dark web". If people don't use multiple sources of main stream media where do they get their news from ? "

Tabloids mainly print hearsay

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"There's always been manipulation and falsehood in the media or from authoritative sources. It's just now it's a slogan to scream at people"

As with snowflake, it's just a way to brand people in that way without having to think about the arguments at all. Just ad hominem shit that everyone should be better than.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"In the current political climate the term "woke media" seems to be a fashionable term that has been hijacked by people such as Nigel Farage, Ian Dale, Piers Morgan and many others and used as a label to criticise the media. I find it sad that people would actually try to use the fact that media channels or any other group are aware of matters of social, racial or any other form of injustice, surely being classed as"woke" should be something to be proud of.

As someone who has suffered due to the tabloid press, I think that Trump isn't far wrong when he talks about false news"

Trump wouldnt know the truth if it got into bed with him.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

""Woke" is black slang from the US which refers to being "awakened to racial injustices":

*Standing ovation*"

*Joins applause*

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"There's always been manipulation and falsehood in the media or from authoritative sources. It's just now it's a slogan to scream at people

As with snowflake, it's just a way to brand people in that way without having to think about the arguments at all. Just ad hominem shit that everyone should be better than."

Quite.

It makes me laugh these days.

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

*Standing ovation*"

*Joins in*

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

*Standing ovation*

*Joins in*"

It's like calling yourself a Capitalist when you aren't the owner of a FTSE 100 company.

There's a lot of really awesome comments around these forums recently. Really nice to see.

over a year ago

Get comfortable licking boot."

Hats off to you! I never expected a response quite like that, it is most welcome.

over a year ago

As someone who has suffered due to the tabloid press, I think that Trump isn't far wrong when he talks about false news

Trump wouldnt know the truth if it got into bed with him."

By *ick270Man
over a year ago

Here

Its a fad, bit like the hula hoop in the 60s,it will pass once people don't get nothing for nothing.

Post new Message to Thread