Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

mind your own business?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I just wondered what other peoples opinion was on something that happened to me tonight

I've taken my nipper to the flicks to go and see Ice age 4 and while im the bus stop after was a very stressed out women with a bunch of kids

Now we've all been there, long hard day, kids driving you nuts an getting short tempered but this woman was going way over the top, swearing and screaming at her kids every time they so much as moved, all the kids waa crying she was getting more stressed and to be blunt her language was terrible, i tried to ignor it as i didnt want to wind her up anymore than she was but in the end i had to say something as my child was there and i wasnt happy with her being subjected to all the swearing so i politely asked her if she didnt mind stop swearing as i wasnt happy with my child having to listern to it, she huffed and grunted a bit then turned round and had a go at the kids saying it was their fault and looked what they had done now, showing her up etc which is what i really wanted to avoid...pissing her off more and her taking it out on the children

Anyway after a bit of a rant she lifted her hand and smacked one of the kids, who was crying already and playing up a bit, right in the face knocking her to the floor. then went to hit her again while she was still down

I had to say something, i went over and helped the child up preventing her from smacking her again and told her what i thought, i know we all get stressed with kids but to me there was no need for that at all

To which i was told to ming my own fucking business and she can do what she wants with her kids then yanked her child that i had helped up away from me

Now i dont go for that, i dont believe you own children and they are yours to do as you wish with, to me what she did was abuse and i think its peoples duty to stand up and say if they see something thats wrong, plus my child was also subjected to all this so i felt that her swearing and hitting her child in such a way infront of my child was making it my business as its my job to protect her from that

I suppose my question is do you think its ok to stand up and say if you see something that you feel is abusive behaviour or do you think what a mum does ith her kids is bugger all to do with you so turn a blind eye?

This child was only about 4 and i just felt as a small child who couldnt help herself she needed someone to step in for her, plus i cant help but wonder if thats how she is with her kids in public whats she like behind closed door

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"I

I suppose my question is do you think its ok to stand up and say if you see something that you feel is abusive behaviour or do you think what a mum does ith her kids is bugger all to do with you so turn a blind eye?

"

Yes.

You acted to stop child abuse.

To tolerate is to condone.

No adult - not a mother or a father - has a right to assault and abuse children.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I just wondered what other peoples opinion was on something that happened to me tonight

I've taken my nipper to the flicks to go and see Ice age 4 and while im the bus stop after was a very stressed out women with a bunch of kids

Now we've all been there, long hard day, kids driving you nuts an getting short tempered but this woman was going way over the top, swearing and screaming at her kids every time they so much as moved, all the kids waa crying she was getting more stressed and to be blunt her language was terrible, i tried to ignor it as i didnt want to wind her up anymore than she was but in the end i had to say something as my child was there and i wasnt happy with her being subjected to all the swearing so i politely asked her if she didnt mind stop swearing as i wasnt happy with my child having to listern to it, she huffed and grunted a bit then turned round and had a go at the kids saying it was their fault and looked what they had done now, showing her up etc which is what i really wanted to avoid...pissing her off more and her taking it out on the children

Anyway after a bit of a rant she lifted her hand and smacked one of the kids, who was crying already and playing up a bit, right in the face knocking her to the floor. then went to hit her again while she was still down

I had to say something, i went over and helped the child up preventing her from smacking her again and told her what i thought, i know we all get stressed with kids but to me there was no need for that at all

To which i was told to ming my own fucking business and she can do what she wants with her kids then yanked her child that i had helped up away from me

Now i dont go for that, i dont believe you own children and they are yours to do as you wish with, to me what she did was abuse and i think its peoples duty to stand up and say if they see something thats wrong, plus my child was also subjected to all this so i felt that her swearing and hitting her child in such a way infront of my child was making it my business as its my job to protect her from that

This child was only about 4 and i just felt as a small child who couldnt help herself she needed someone to step in for her, plus i cant help but wonder if thats how she is with her kids in public whats she like behind closed door "

*claps hands* if only people were more like you!!! i believe people should always stand up and say something. this is blatant abuse and she should be reported. Fair enough yes weve all been there long hard day etc etc but you dont take it out on your kids to extent that you hit them for no reason. if more people were like you we wouldnt have so many cases like baby p, we also wouldnt have so many domestic violence cases either. In less than 12 months in my town weve had at least 3 women be buried due to their partners stabbing them and killing them, the bfs are now in prison waiting trial whilst the poor kids have to deal with having a dead mum and a father inside.

over a year ago

You were quite right in my opinion. That's a terrible thing to do - slap a child down and then carry out a further assault - that's what it is - while the child is down. Did you inform the police? Was there any CCTV the social services can look at? That woman doesn't deserve kids. No matter how stressed and pissed off you are with your kids, you should take a big dose of self control. That's almost impossible at times, I know, I've got kids and they've driven me mad at times but I've never battered them, the occasional smack yes but to go garrity with them - never. Well done you.

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Pity you couldnt have discreetly reported her

feel so sorry for the poor little girl getting hurt...bless her

Thats just what you need to see whn out wit your own daughter

xx

over a year ago

Really feel for you. Have two kids and being a parent is hard, but to witness what you did was awful. I wouldnt want my kids to be in that environment.

Hate poeple using foul language around the kids, and wouldn't dream of whacking them.

Saddly this is getting to be more common. I am on your side on this one.

over a year ago

u did the right thing and it is abuse no matter what and if she is doing that to the child in public you can be she is same or worse at home x

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

I think you did what every person would/should do in this situation

I was in a similiar situation a few years back and went a step further and called the police. I was later informed that the child was taken into care after it was found that regular neglect and abuse was happening.

I have a friend who fosters children and it is heartbreaking when you hear some of the horror stories - we need to protect these poor children

over a year ago

i did call the local police station and inform them, but i i dont know her name or anything i cant see it going anywhere

over a year ago

"i did call the local police station and inform them, but i i dont know her name or anything i cant see it going anywhere "

If there was any CCTV around or buses passing by equipped with camers, then they will be able to make some progress. You did the absolutely right thing. Well done you.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

To be honest i would of taking a different approach.

over a year ago

"To be honest i would of taking a different approach. "

wat approach would you have taken?

over a year ago

"To be honest i would of taking a different approach. "

im sure lots of people would have

I suppose thats what i was asking, speak up or look away, we are all different

I think in honestly had i been alone i may not have acted quite the same tho no matter what i wouldnt have looked away at a small child being knocked to the floor

But i just didnt see why my child should be subjected to her abuse nor did i feel we should have to walk away because she couldnt conduct herself in public

I think sat at home and thinking about it we have more time to work out the best way but when your put on the spot you act on impulse

over a year ago

You did the right thing

over a year ago

"To be honest i would of taking a different approach.

im sure lots of people would have

I suppose thats what i was asking, speak up or look away, we are all different

I think in honestly had i been alone i may not have acted quite the same tho no matter what i wouldnt have looked away at a small child being knocked to the floor

But i just didnt see why my child should be subjected to her abuse nor did i feel we should have to walk away because she couldnt conduct herself in public

I think sat at home and thinking about it we have more time to work out the best way but when your put on the spot you act on impulse "

And what was the impact on your daughter? She must've been frightened.

over a year ago

"And what was the impact on your daughter? She must've been frightened."

she was upset when the child got hit, infact when the little girl fell to the floor my daughter got up at the same time as me to help her, i think we must have thought the same thing at the same time

I dont think she was frightened as she was a bit older than this womans kids but it did upset her, she was talking about it all the way home on the bus so it was playing on her mind

over a year ago

"And what was the impact on your daughter? She must've been frightened.

she was upset when the child got hit, infact when the little girl fell to the floor my daughter got up at the same time as me to help her, i think we must have thought the same thing at the same time

I dont think she was frightened as she was a bit older than this womans kids but it did upset her, she was talking about it all the way home on the bus so it was playing on her mind "

let's hope it doesnt play on her mind, and can sleep tonite.

over a year ago

In my opinion u deffo did the right thing -well done

over a year ago

Never realy been in the situation. I quite often, though certainly when it got to the point of a child being beaten to the ground, I don't think you had much choice tbh........

over a year ago

I think you did the right thing too, especially calling the police. Fair enough she may have had a really bad day and maybe they'd been playing her up all day. But you just never know. It's difficult to know what to do but to hit the child on the floor, that's not on.

Worse that your daughter was there. Hope she's ok.

Hugs to you both xx

over a year ago

Definitely definitely definitely did the right thing

over a year ago

The safety of children is everybodies responsibility. You stopped an abusive situation, but I expect the kids get worse in their own home.

These kids depend on folks speaking up for them and taking appropriate action whether it's social work, school, health visitor or members of the public. Often they have no voice or are to scared to use it...I would have done the same

over a year ago

"The safety of children is everybodies responsibility. You stopped an abusive situation, but I expect the kids get worse in their own home.

These kids depend on folks speaking up for them and taking appropriate action whether it's social work, school, health visitor or members of the public. Often they have no voice or are to scared to use it...I would have done the same "

Exactly.

over a year ago

Well, hopefully by now you should be more comfortable with the course of your actions, you've got 100% support as far as I can see. Well done again, and don't be afraid to do it again!

over a year ago

I wonder how accurate this tale is? I have heard similar stories before and when both sides come out its a slap not abuse. Do you get involved? Well its personal choice but if you start to tell someone how to live their live and bring up their children then expect a backlash. I am surprised if you felt that strongly you didn't contact the police rather than post on a forum. I would be fascinated to hear the other persons point of view as rarely does one side give an unbiased view.

over a year ago

I think you did the right thing, it's an absolute disgrace to abuse any child like this - verbally and physically. It doesn't matter if they were naughty or had a stressful day. People like this make me wonder how they behave outside the public eye!!!!

I once stepped in too, I just couldn't help it. A mother walked into a shopping centre with about a 2 year old boy. The boy tripped and fell over. He didn't even cry, just tried to get up again. His mother on the other hand started shouting abuse at him and gave him a mighty slap in the face.

I ran over to them and confronted her about it. She obviously told me it wasn't my business. I was very young then, maybe 16/17 and didn't report it as I didn't know what to do. But I just hope if people stand up against abuse maybe some will think twice before doing it.

I know some people may say now, oh you could get hurt etc. I guess you have to consider the situation you are in, but I would do the same again for sure.

By *acciWoman
over a year ago

leeds

A slap in the face of a child IS abuse full stop,i would have called the police. people like that shouldnt have kids,i brought 5 kids up alone and had a full time job and i NEVER hit my kids.

Oh good for you i hear you say,but there is never an excuse to slap a child in the face.

over a year ago

"A slap in the face of a child IS abuse full stop,i would have called the police. people like that shouldnt have kids,i brought 5 kids up alone and had a full time job and i NEVER hit my kids.

Oh good for you i hear you say,but there is never an excuse to slap a child in the face."

Totally...a slap is physical abuse. Would it be different if it was a man who had slapped his wife...is that abuse? Children are people too and vulnerable ones at that...they need to be protected from all kinds of abuse!!!

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

"I wonder how accurate this tale is? I have heard similar stories before and when both sides come out its a slap not abuse. Do you get involved? Well its personal choice but if you start to tell someone how to live their live and bring up their children then expect a backlash. I am surprised if you felt that strongly you didn't contact the police rather than post on a forum. I would be fascinated to hear the other persons point of view as rarely does one side give an unbiased view. "

The police were informed and a slap that knocks a child to the ground is abuse in my eyes!!

over a year ago

"I wonder how accurate this tale is? I have heard similar stories before and when both sides come out its a slap not abuse. Do you get involved? Well its personal choice but if you start to tell someone how to live their live and bring up their children then expect a backlash. I am surprised if you felt that strongly you didn't contact the police rather than post on a forum. I would be fascinated to hear the other persons point of view as rarely does one side give an unbiased view. "

i did call the police as i have already said if you read the thread

And i would say that if you hit a child in the face hard enough to knock them over that is abusive not just a slap

I know everyone has different views and im not asking if people think i did the right thing as i felt it did, firstly by protecting my own child from her swearing then by stopping her hitting her own child that she had already knocked to the floor, i have no qualms about what i did and would do the same for any child, i was just interested in what other would have done, as so many people still turn a blind eye to such things thats why we still hear stories such like Baby P, the sad fact is some people do need telling how to bring up their kids and its upto us to draw those people to the attention of the appropriate authorities, obviously just my opinion

over a year ago

" I would be fascinated to hear the other persons point of view as rarely does one side give an unbiased view. "

well of course her stories not going to match mine, how many people would admit to doing that? that dont make me a lair tho just because her story would obviously differ to mine

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

"I just wondered what other peoples opinion was on something that happened to me tonight

This child was only about 4 and i just felt as a small child who couldnt help herself she needed someone to step in for her, plus i cant help but wonder if thats how she is with her kids in public whats she like behind closed door "

Well, while we would like to think, you acted correctly and we would do exactly the same, in all honesty I would have smacked the child-abusing bitch in the face. If it was my husband, he'd have called the police.

over a year ago

"I wonder how accurate this tale is? I have heard similar stories before and when both sides come out its a slap not abuse. Do you get involved? Well its personal choice but if you start to tell someone how to live their live and bring up their children then expect a backlash. I am surprised if you felt that strongly you didn't contact the police rather than post on a forum. I would be fascinated to hear the other persons point of view as rarely does one side give an unbiased view.

And i would say that if you hit a child in the face hard enough to knock them over that is abusive not just a slap

I know everyone has different views and im not asking if people think i did the right thing as i felt it did, firstly by protecting my own child from her swearing then by stopping her hitting her own child that she had already knocked to the floor, i have no qualms about what i did and would do the same for any child, i was just interested in what other would have done, as so many people still turn a blind eye to such things thats why we still hear stories such like Baby P, the sad fact is some people do need telling how to bring up their kids and its upto us to draw those people to the attention of the appropriate authorities, obviously just my opinion "

I hope you told the police you manhandled her child too or woman handled. Like I said there are always 2 sides she may well have contacted the police and accused you of assaulting her child, who knows but you may find that may well happen if the police contact her. Just a thought but we are not talking baby P so better not mix the 2 up as its very different as you are well aware.

over a year ago

This child was only about 4 and i just felt as a small child who couldnt help herself she needed someone to step in for her, plus i cant help but wonder if thats how she is with her kids in public whats she like behind closed door

Well, while we would like to think, you acted correctly and we would do exactly the same, in all honesty I would have smacked the child-abusing bitch in the face. If it was my husband, he'd have called the police."

You would have smacked her in the face? Incredible absolutely incredible or is this a bout of keyboard commandoism and BS?

over a year ago

"

I hope you told the police you manhandled her child too or woman handled. Like I said there are always 2 sides she may well have contacted the police and accused you of assaulting her child, who knows but you may find that may well happen if the police contact her. Just a thought but we are not talking baby P so better not mix the 2 up as its very different as you are well aware. "

no i didnt tell the police i man handle her child i told the police she hit her child to the floor and i went over and stopped her and helped the child up

By *ursevampsWoman
over a year ago

bucks

i have done exactlly the same to a child at a bus stop as well i have a son and love him to bits but this instance i called the police on the mother and the child was cowering behind me with my son i was a lone a single mum with a young son mysle she had about five kids and she was all dolled up in designer gear and the kids had poor fitting stuff i felt sorry for them but when she hit her youngest daughter for crying as her grubby dirty bottle was emoty i snapped the mother tried to attack me but was rescued by a kind gentle man and he later taol me had watched the whole thing i later leaned the mother was arrested child abuse her children was taken away and all adopted the police informed me the mother was abusive and had been under social sevices for a while but they couldn't prove the mother was physical with them but i stood up for this one young toddler and hope in the end it al worked and it did so op yes i bloody would stand up to the parents im not saint i swear but i try to keep it to a minimum round little ears but im no where near perfect but i would have don't the same in the same situation so clap hands im not alone in the same feelings

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

Well, while we would like to think, you acted correctly and we would do exactly the same, in all honesty I would have smacked the child-abusing bitch in the face. If it was my husband, he'd have called the police.

You would have smacked her in the face? Incredible absolutely incredible or is this a bout of keyboard commandoism and BS? "

Keyboard commandoism...not at all...I see anybody hitting or abusing children I will stop it by any IMMEDIATE means necessary. Child-abuse/cruelty is not tolerated by either of us, and if it was a man hitting a child and my husband was there, my husband would do the same thing if the person carried on after being asked to stop. Anyone who stands by and allows it to happen in our book is as bad and as guilty as the actual person inflicting the abuse.

We would both gladly to time in prison for assaulting an adult who is hurting children...end of!!..If you dont like our attitude to protecting kids and 'taking the law into our own hands' then thats your choice. There is NO EXCUSE for treating children in such a despicable manner.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/07/12 00:55:36]

over a year ago

"

I hope you told the police you manhandled her child too or woman handled. Like I said there are always 2 sides she may well have contacted the police and accused you of assaulting her child, who knows but you may find that may well happen if the police contact her. Just a thought but we are not talking baby P so better not mix the 2 up as its very different as you are well aware.

no i didnt tell the police i man handle her child i told the police she hit her child to the floor and i went over and stopped her and helped the child up "

Did you or did you not touch the child? That's what the police will ask you if she accuses you of assault. There is nothing wrong with vocally expressing your opinion but crossed the line touching the child and more than a little naive as you should have called the police there and than while you were on the bus and told the driver.

over a year ago

What they all said!

Am interested to hear what different approach diamond would have had!?

Being a mum of 2 I truly believe the kids need protecting at all costs! If she does that publicly just imagine the force that can be used on a small innocent body in private! It makes me cold inside to think about it.

And I would love to have bit h slapped the woman but sadly that makes me the same as her!

My kids push me to the edge on a regular basis but how do I teach them not to fight and hit if I do it to them! They get time outs and have privileges removed! Much more effective and not abuse.

Oh and it is illegal to smack a child! End off!!!!!

over a year ago

You would have smacked her in the face? Incredible absolutely incredible or is this a bout of keyboard commandoism and BS?

Keyboard commandoism...not at all...I see anybody hitting or abusing children I will stop it by any IMMEDIATE means necessary. Child-abuse/cruelty is not tolerated by either of us, and if it was a man hitting a child and my husband was there, my husband would do the same thing if the person carried on after being asked to stop. Anyone who stands by and allows it to happen in our book is as bad and as guilty as the actual person inflicting the abuse.

We would both gladly to time in prison for assaulting an adult who is hurting children...end of!!..If you dont like our attitude to protecting kids and 'taking the law into our own hands' then thats your choice. There is NO EXCUSE for treating children in such a despicable manner."

There is never any excuse for violence and you are no better, I suppose you would kick seven bells out of a handicapped parent if they touched their child too. Drink less and leave the keyboard alone would help your credibility.

over a year ago

"I wonder how accurate this tale is? I have heard similar stories before and when both sides come out its a slap not abuse. Do you get involved? Well its personal choice but if you start to tell someone how to live their live and bring up their children then expect a backlash. I am surprised if you felt that strongly you didn't contact the police rather than post on a forum. I would be fascinated to hear the other persons point of view as rarely does one side give an unbiased view.

I know everyone has different views and im not asking if people think i did the right thing as i felt it did, firstly by protecting my own child from her swearing then by stopping her hitting her own child that she had already knocked to the floor, i have no qualms about what i did and would do the same for any child, i was just interested in what other would have done, as so many people still turn a blind eye to such things thats why we still hear stories such like Baby P, the sad fact is some people do need telling how to bring up their kids and its upto us to draw those people to the attention of the appropriate authorities, obviously just my opinion

I hope you told the police you manhandled her child too or woman handled. Like I said there are always 2 sides she may well have contacted the police and accused you of assaulting her child, who knows but you may find that may well happen if the police contact her. Just a thought but we are not talking baby P so better not mix the 2 up as its very different as you are well aware. "

Do any of us know whats going on behind closed doors? You never know who the next baby P may be, thats why action has to be taken whenever any kind of abuse is witnessed. When does a slap become a punch, a kick or the child thrown off off a wall etc?

Perhaps some for the tragic deaths of children could have been prevented if more folks were willing to intervene and report concerns. I'd rather be wrong and have a red face than sit back and then find that a child had died in terrible circumstances.

over a year ago

"

no i didnt tell the police i man handle her child i told the police she hit her child to the floor and i went over and stopped her and helped the child up

Did you or did you not touch the child? That's what the police will ask you if she accuses you of assault. There is nothing wrong with vocally expressing your opinion but crossed the line touching the child and more than a little naive as you should have called the police there and than while you were on the bus and told the driver."

like i have already said my question wasnt do you think i did the right thing, the question was what would you have done in that situation, if you would have acted different to me thats fair enough

It just does to show the state of society today when you feel that me helping up a hurt crying child is crossing the line, i actually find that comment quite sad and it just goes to show how peoples minds work now day

As for telling the bus driver, living in the real world what do you think he would have done?

over a year ago

You did what you thought right and I couldn't stand by in your shoes either.

Just remember though that if you embarrass a parent in those circumstances, the child goes home with them, not you.

I'm sure it didn't happen in this occurance but a truly abusive parent might have taken retribution out on the child if you push to far.

over a year ago

Do any of us know whats going on behind closed doors? You never know who the next baby P may be, thats why action has to be taken whenever any kind of abuse is witnessed. When does a slap become a punch, a kick or the child thrown off off a wall etc?

Perhaps some for the tragic deaths of children could have been prevented if more folks were willing to intervene and report concerns. I'd rather be wrong and have a red face than sit back and then find that a child had died in terrible circumstances."

I have a mobile, press the 9 button 3 times there and then is the best option but make sure your story is correct and substantiated and not exaggerated. That would be my reaction.

Most of the badly abused children though are not abused in public but behind closed doors by sadists.

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

We would both gladly to time in prison for assaulting an adult who is hurting children...end of!!..If you dont like our attitude to protecting kids and 'taking the law into our own hands' then thats your choice. There is NO EXCUSE for treating children in such a despicable manner.

There is never any excuse for violence and you are no better, I suppose you would kick seven bells out of a handicapped parent if they touched their child too. Drink less and leave the keyboard alone would help your credibility. "

What relevance is drinking to the point I am making?...none. And I suggest you acertain the facts before you start making accusations. I have not been drinking alcohol if that is what you are implying. Because my opinion differs from yours you have to accuse someone of being d*unk/under the influence of alcohol?. I suggest, respectfully, that you keep your wild, invalid theories to yourself.

You may have more credibility if you yourself could have a constructive discussion without making false accusations on other members.

over a year ago

The bus driver would not get invoked either. A poor young woman was raped in nottingham as the driver wouldn't let her on the last bus home. She was 20p short of the fare.

Ifore people like you were on that bus maybe they would have stumped up the rest of her fare. I bet they would now in retrospect.

over a year ago

"

Did you or did you not touch the child? That's what the police will ask you if she accuses you of assault. There is nothing wrong with vocally expressing your opinion but crossed the line touching the child and more than a little naive as you should have called the police there and than while you were on the bus and told the driver.

like i have already said my question wasnt do you think i did the right thing, the question was what would you have done in that situation, if you would have acted different to me thats fair enough

It just does to show the state of society today when you feel that me helping up a hurt crying child is crossing the line, i actually find that comment quite sad and it just goes to show how peoples minds work now day

As for telling the bus driver, living in the real world what do you think he would have done? "

Well as busses have CCTV cameras on he could have got someone to review it couldn't he now! Maybe that wouldn't have suited you though? Its all a matter of intelligence, a question though why not call the police at the time while still on the bus? Very strange you didn't do this if what you say is as it happened.

over a year ago

"You did what you thought right and I couldn't stand by in your shoes either.

Just remember though that if you embarrass a parent in those circumstances, the child goes home with them, not you.

I'm sure it didn't happen in this occurance but a truly abusive parent might have taken retribution out on the child if you push to far."

100% agree and thats my question i guess

If you see such things do you stand by incase you make it worse or do you step in

Im 100% sure i made the situation worse by asking her to stop swearing, had i not done that she may well not have hit her kid, but i had my child with me so what do i do?

Stand there and allowe her to talk in such a way infront of my childor ask her to stop swearing? why should my child be subjected to that, i dont talk like that infront of her so im not allowing anyone else to

what it comes down to is we are all responsable for our own actions and if a person hits anyone be that a child or adult, thats their doing and they chose to do it, you cant blame other people for their actions, you cant say its your fault they did that cause you said something, you have to take respondability for your own actions and the only person who makes someone hit another person is the person doing it

over a year ago

"

As for telling the bus driver, living in the real world what do you think he would have done?

Well as busses have CCTV cameras on he could have got someone to review it couldn't he now! Maybe that wouldn't have suited you though? Its all a matter of intelligence, a question though why not call the police at the time while still on the bus? Very strange you didn't do this if what you say is as it happened. "

It happened at the bus stop, not on the bus

over a year ago

There is never any excuse for violence and you are no better, I suppose you would kick seven bells out of a handicapped parent if they touched their child too. Drink less and leave the keyboard alone would help your credibility.

What relevance is drinking to the point I am making?...none. And I suggest you acertain the facts before you start making accusations. I have not been drinking alcohol if that is what you are implying. Because my opinion differs from yours you have to accuse someone of being d*unk/under the influence of alcohol?. I suggest, respectfully, that you keep your wild, invalid theories to yourself.

You may have more credibility if you yourself could have a constructive discussion without making false accusations on other members."

You are naturally violent then and prone to assault people you feel you have the right to? You did say you would have smacked the bitch in the face! Its very low rent if I am being honest and makes you no better if you feel you are above the law.

over a year ago

You did absolutely the right thing. That woman's behaviour in public COULD give an indication of her behaviour toward her daughter in private.

To go over and help the child up was absolutely the right thing to do too.

To demonstrate to that poor child that some people are caring and compassionate and are prepared to help her is what separates people like you from those who would have stood by and allowed it to happen for fear of recriminations.

over a year ago

"Well as busses have CCTV cameras on he could have got someone to review it couldn't he now! Maybe that wouldn't have suited you though? Its all a matter of intelligence, a question though why not call the police at the time while still on the bus? Very strange you didn't do this if what you say is as it happened. "

where have i said this happened on the bus?

over a year ago

Well, while we would like to think, you acted correctly and we would do exactly the same, in all honesty I would have smacked the child-abusing bitch in the face. If it was my husband, he'd have called the police."

So you would teach all the kids there that violence is the correct thing to do???

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"

Well as busses have CCTV cameras on he could have got someone to review it couldn't he now! "

Yeah that's right all buses have working CCTV cameras on them........ and my pet unicorn is called Apple Blossom.

over a year ago

"

Well as busses have CCTV cameras on he could have got someone to review it couldn't he now!

Yeah that's right all buses have working CCTV cameras on them........ and my pet unicorn is called Apple Blossom."

it was in the bus stop not on the bus, she didnt even get on the ame bus as me when it came, so there would have been no point telling the driver

over a year ago

So you would teach all the kids there that violence is the correct thing to do??? "

Hardly I would have called the police there and then, keep up I said so before. I personally don't think hitting out at anyone is acceptable, leave it to the police and the courts that's what they are there for.

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

"You did what you thought right and I couldn't stand by in your shoes either.

I'm sure it didn't happen in this occurance but a truly abusive parent might have taken retribution out on the child if you push to far.

100% agree and thats my question i guess

If you see such things do you stand by incase you make it worse or do you step in

Im 100% sure i made the situation worse by asking her to stop swearing, had i not done that she may well not have hit her kid, but i had my child with me so what do i do?

Stand there and allowe her to talk in such a way infront of my childor ask her to stop swearing? why should my child be subjected to that, i dont talk like that infront of her so im not allowing anyone else to

what it comes down to is we are all responsable for our own actions and if a person hits anyone be that a child or adult, thats their doing and they chose to do it, you cant blame other people for their actions, you cant say its your fault they did that cause you said something, you have to take respondability for your own actions and the only person who makes someone hit another person is the person doing it

"

You did what was right for you to do at the time. You made an effort to protect the children where many would just turn a blind eye. Personally, well, read our posts for our views, but then everyone is different. Hindsight is a wonderful thing as it makes future decisions on similar situatons that much easier. There is only a moral reason to intervene and not legal obligation, so whatever action you took was morally right for you.

over a year ago

"

Well as busses have CCTV cameras on he could have got someone to review it couldn't he now!

Yeah that's right all buses have working CCTV cameras on them........ and my pet unicorn is called Apple Blossom.

it was in the bus stop not on the bus, she didnt even get on the ame bus as me when it came, so there would have been no point telling the driver

"

So why didn't you call the police there and then? You obviously thought it was assault later but not at the time? Was it the mouthful she gave you that tipped the scales? IF it happened as you say I really don't see why you didn't call the police immediately.

over a year ago

Wow cant believe wat some people have said!! seriously shocking

over a year ago

"Wow cant believe wat some people have said!! seriously shocking"

Well you didn't look that foolish so no harm done.

over a year ago

Well done for standing up to her and protecting a defenceless child. If only more people were like you.

over a year ago

"

So why didn't you call the police there and then? You obviously thought it was assault later but not at the time? Was it the mouthful she gave you that tipped the scales? IF it happened as you say I really don't see why you didn't call the police immediately."

i did call the police when i was still in the bus stop

have you actually read anything i have put

i said it was in the bus stop and i said i called the police

anything else you would like to wrongly pick fault with

i dont mind you having an opinuion thats what the forums are for, but please read what i have put before you try to pick fault

over a year ago

So you would teach all the kids there that violence is the correct thing to do???

Hardly I would have called the police there and then, keep up I said so before. I personally don't think hitting out at anyone is acceptable, leave it to the police and the courts that's what they are there for. "

U said u would have smacked her... That is violence. Doing that in front of the kids shows them that violence is ok... Or am i just really stupid.

Tbh i find your attitude rather patronising and rude.

By *ustyBrunette35Couple
over a year ago

birmingham

If I was stood at a bus stop with my child and an adult started swearing and abusing another human being I'd have taken my child well out of the way, you wouldn't have seen me for dust

I've no idea what it's like where other posters live but where I'm from it's not wise to get involved in other peoples issues. Fair play to anyone that wants to involve themselves but if it were me, with my child beside me, then my child would have been up in my arms and taken away and I'd have waited for the next bus.

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

"

So why didn't you call the police there and then? You obviously thought it was assault later but not at the time? Was it the mouthful she gave you that tipped the scales? IF it happened as you say I really don't see why you didn't call the police immediately.

i did call the police when i was still in the bus stop

have you actually read anything i have put

i said it was in the bus stop and i said i called the police

anything else you would like to wrongly pick fault with

i dont mind you having an opinuion thats what the forums are for, but please read what i have put before you try to pick fault "

Well said.

over a year ago

"Wow cant believe wat some people have said!! seriously shocking

Well you didn't look that foolish so no harm done. "

????? Wat

over a year ago

"If I was stood at a bus stop with my child and an adult started swearing and abusing another human being I'd have taken my child well out of the way, you wouldn't have seen me for dust

I've no idea what it's like where other posters live but where I'm from it's not wise to get involved in other peoples issues. Fair play to anyone that wants to involve themselves but if it were me, with my child beside me, then my child would have been up in my arms and taken away and I'd have waited for the next bus."

again i agree with that and had it not been for the fact that they had closed the road for the flipping olympic torch and the next bus stop was a good 10 mins walk away in the rain i would have done the same, but im going to be honest i didnt see why i should make my child walk in the rain because she couldnt conuct herself properly in public

Its easy to look back and think should have done this, should have done that but to be honest i just did what i felt right at the time and that was to ask her to stop swearing

over a year ago

Hardly I would have called the police there and then, keep up I said so before. I personally don't think hitting out at anyone is acceptable, leave it to the police and the courts that's what they are there for.

U said u would have smacked her... That is violence. Doing that in front of the kids shows them that violence is ok... Or am i just really stupid.

Tbh i find your attitude rather patronising and rude. "

Have you actually read the thread? I mean REALLY read it?

Take some time, read it then come back and tell me you made a mistake. I have said I would have phoned the police immediately I also was disproving of the other couple who said they would have smacked the bitch (ie the mother).

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

Take some time, read it then come back and tell me you made a mistake. I have said I would have phoned the police immediately I also was disproving of the other couple who said they would have smacked the bitch (ie the mother). "

Yep, that was me that said that not Cinderfuckingorilla.

over a year ago

"If I was stood at a bus stop with my child and an adult started swearing and abusing another human being I'd have taken my child well out of the way, you wouldn't have seen me for dust

I've no idea what it's like where other posters live but where I'm from it's not wise to get involved in other peoples issues. Fair play to anyone that wants to involve themselves but if it were me, with my child beside me, then my child would have been up in my arms and taken away and I'd have waited for the next bus.

again i agree with that and had it not been for the fact that they had closed the road for the flipping olympic torch and the next bus stop was a good 10 mins walk away in the rain i would have done the same, but im going to be honest i didnt see why i should make my child walk in the rain because she couldnt conuct herself properly in public

Its easy to look back and think should have done this, should have done that but to be honest i just did what i felt right at the time and that was to ask her to stop swearing"

If im in a public place, on a bus or where ever with my son and people are swearing i tell them to stop. Im not perfect and yes i do swear... Quite alot sometimes but when theres little ears around i make a concious effort not to. I even tell others i maybe with to not swear and point out that kids are near us. Theres a time and a place. Nothing she done was wrong in my opinion and i wish everyone was like her

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

Take some time, read it then come back and tell me you made a mistake. I have said I would have phoned the police immediately I also was disproving of the other couple who said they would have smacked the bitch (ie the mother).

Yep, that was me that said that not Cinderfuckingorilla."

Ooops, Cinderfuckingrella...Freudian slip

over a year ago

Yep, that was me that said that not Cinderfuckingorilla."

And when i commented i quoted it i dont really care who said it i still think her attitude stinks

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

And when i commented i quoted it i dont really care who said it i still think her attitude stinks"

And your opinion is entirely your own as ours is ours, so we respect that.

over a year ago

And when i commented i quoted it i dont really care who said it i still think her attitude stinks"

She was the one who responded to my response which is why i then responded to her assuming she had said it why respond to what i said to your comment

over a year ago

And when i commented i quoted it i dont really care who said it i still think her attitude stinks

And your opinion is entirely your own as ours is ours, so we respect that. "

over a year ago

"She was the one who responded to my response which is why i then responded to her assuming she had said it why respond to what i said to your comment "

Again in English

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"

So why didn't you call the police there and then? You obviously thought it was assault later but not at the time? Was it the mouthful she gave you that tipped the scales? IF it happened as you say I really don't see why you didn't call the police immediately."

"

As most intelligent people know, when something unusual happens, which catches us off guard, we haven’t always got time to work out what we should or shouldn’t do in the first instance….. unlike when we are sat at a keyboard. Even the most intelligent brain will change the way it processes information in unfamiliar situations which alarm us in some way. We, humans, are much more prone to acting on instinct than we like to believe.

NN has shown her first instinct, as a mother, is to protect a child that has been struck. The bit about telling the other woman to stop swearing is neither hear nor there.... a lot of people would have done that once they'd had enough of it.

If a Granny was being mugged, phoning the police will of course be appropriate...... however I'd also like to think that a few people in this world still have the moral courage to at least try to stop her getting beaten up whilst the police are on their way.... rather than thinking "Well I made the call that's me done"

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

She was the one who responded to my response which is why i then responded to her assuming she had said it why respond to what i said to your comment.

my head hurts....lol

over a year ago

"She was the one who responded to my response which is why i then responded to her assuming she had said it why respond to what i said to your comment

Again in English "

Hahaha oh god im getting confused. Erm let me try again lol

The person who i accused of saying they would have hit the mum, i assumed had said it by time i come bk on because she had responded to what i said. The way she resonded was like i said something to what she had said. I quoted the correct post but she commented like id said it to her.. Him.. Them lol who ever they are haha

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

As most intelligent people know, when something unusual happens, which catches us off guard, we haven’t always got time to work out what we should or shouldn’t do in the first instance….. unlike when we are sat at a keyboard. Even the most intelligent brain will change the way it processes information in unfamiliar situations which alarm us in some way. We, humans, are much more prone to acting on instinct than we like to believe.

NN has shown her first instinct, as a mother, is to protect a child that has been struck. The bit about telling the other woman to stop swearing is neither hear nor there.... a lot of people would have done that once they'd had enough of it.

If a Granny was being mugged, phoning the police will of course be appropriate...... however I'd also like to think that a few people in this world still have the moral courage to at least try to stop her getting beaten up whilst the police are on their way.... rather than thinking "Well I made the call that's me done"

over a year ago

"She was the one who responded to my response which is why i then responded to her assuming she had said it why respond to what i said to your comment.

my head hurts....lol"

Haha so does mine lol read the next one i think i confused myself even more lol

By *ustyBrunette35Couple
over a year ago

birmingham

Its easy to look back and think should have done this, should have done that but to be honest i just did what i felt right at the time and that was to ask her to stop swearing"

As I said, fair play for anyone that wishes to get involved in other peoples issues, it really isn't for me though... especially if I had my child with me.

It wouldn't have mattered to me if the next bus stop were an hour away and it was blizzard conditions, if some loony violent woman were assaulting her kids then me and my kids would have been off like a shot.

over a year ago

"If a Granny was being mugged, phoning the police will of course be appropriate...... however I'd also like to think that a few people in this world still have the moral courage to at least try to stop her getting beaten up whilst the police are on their way.... rather than thinking "Well I made the call that's me done""

Thats how i think

I guess im just not the type of person who will sit back and think its nothing to do with me

My view is if someone does something infront of me, making me witness it is making it my business, if you ont want me to have a say dont do it in front of me

By *tensonSwingersCouple
over a year ago

Stenson Fields

"She was the one who responded to my response which is why i then responded to her assuming she had said it why respond to what i said to your comment.

my head hurts....lol

Haha so does mine lol read the next one i think i confused myself even more lol"

Good Lord above woman!..lol. If I pretend I understand shall we call it quits? lol

over a year ago

my head hurts....lol

Haha so does mine lol read the next one i think i confused myself even more lol

Good Lord above woman!..lol. If I pretend I understand shall we call it quits? lol "

Haha im just gonna shut up now as that got too complicated

Paracetomol anyone?? Lol

over a year ago

Think you right to have stepped in and wish more people in society did the same, in my job we deal with idiots like this woman every day and it's frustrating, I've got three kids myself and couldn't imagine doing this to mine. Well done you!

over a year ago

"I

"

Im sorry?

SO if I see a man beating his wife I should go all out and smack the guy upseid the face and protect her with my whiteknight shield?

Sure, then she jumps on you with all her nails and teeth going into you and the guy then tries to lay into you.

Or they call the police and say you're a rapist and such.

I doubt any man with 2 brain cells working would go near a mother or father hitting out and screaming at their kids.

The tag of paedophile is a hard one to lose if you're innocent.

If you're a woman however its a bit more simple so dont think because I dont do anything doesnt mean I'd condone it.

I dont want to ruin my life for rash decisions.

over a year ago

"I

Im sorry?

SO if I see a man beating his wife I should go all out and smack the guy upseid the face and protect her with my whiteknight shield?

Sure, then she jumps on you with all her nails and teeth going into you and the guy then tries to lay into you.

I doubt any man with 2 brain cells working would go near a mother or father hitting out and screaming at their kids.

If you're a woman however its a bit more simple so dont think because I dont do anything doesnt mean I'd condone it.

I dont want to ruin my life for rash decisions."

Stories like that in the papers all the time.

Woman gets attacked in broad daylight with people walking past, no-one stops to help.

Man asks kids on the street to keep the noise down as it's late, gets stabbed to death.

What to do for the best?

over a year ago

"I

Im sorry?

I dont want to ruin my life for rash decisions."

I agree that if you tolerate abuse then you are condoning it. Simples!

So therefore I cannot agree with your philosophy of 'walking on by' while a child gets hurt, or a woman gets beaten up or whatever. I have a few brain cells left working and would (indeed HAVE) stepped in to defuse a violent situation. In those situations its not what you do but how you do it but the fear of me getting a smack is secondary to the concern I would have for a child or woman.

I have to agree with part of your comment that you can get accused of something very unpleasant expecially as I don't have the faith in the Police to 'do the right thing' as they are just after a prosecution and not justice.

We lose something valuable when we lose our ability to say something for fear of being persecuted though.

over a year ago

"I

Im sorry?

I dont want to ruin my life for rash decisions.

So therefore I cannot agree with your philosophy of 'walking on by' while a child gets hurt, or a woman gets beaten up or whatever. I have a few brain cells left working and would (indeed HAVE) stepped in to defuse a violent situation. In those situations its not what you do but how you do it but the fear of me getting a smack is secondary to the concern I would have for a child or woman.

I have to agree with part of your comment that you can get accused of something very unpleasant expecially as I don't have the faith in the Police to 'do the right thing' as they are just after a prosecution and not justice.

We lose something valuable when we lose our ability to say something for fear of being persecuted though. "

over a year ago

I applaude the OP for her actions.

But until you are in a situation like this you just don't know how you would react when you have to make a quick decision.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Sorry forgot i hadnt gotten back to this thread.

I know its easy for others to say what they would do after the situation but i was in a similiar situation but not as bad on a train once.

The woman had three kids with her and was getting really wound up, i engaged her in conversation about what hard work kids where ect. I ended up having one sat with me on the seat and entertained her. However, the incident at the bus stop i would have tried to defuse the situation as to me it would of seen obvious that to say something to the woman would have wriled her more.

But as i said we can all talk with hindsight

over a year ago

"Sorry forgot i hadnt gotten back to this thread.

I know its easy for others to say what they would do after the situation but i was in a similiar situation but not as bad on a train once.

The woman had three kids with her and was getting really wound up, i engaged her in conversation about what hard work kids where ect. I ended up having one sat with me on the seat and entertained her. However, the incident at the bus stop i would have tried to defuse the situation as to me it would of seen obvious that to say something to the woman would have wriled her more.

But as i said we can all talk with hindsight"

no your right and to be honest i knew yours would be a sensible answer lol

I looked back on it a few times last night and saw things i could have done different but at the time i guess i just wanted her language to stop so put on the spot asking her to stop swearing seemed the best, i wasnt rude at first and i didnt ask her in a nasty way i was actually polite the first time i spoke

It is easier to see what to do when your not there at the time and have time to think about the best actions

over a year ago

"I applaude the OP for her actions.

But until you are in a situation like this you just don't know how you would react when you have to make a quick decision.

"

As I do.

But apparently some will 'walk on by' and have already made that decision which is very sad really.

over a year ago

"

It is easier to see what to do when your not there at the time and have time to think about the best actions"

You did what you thought was right at the time and good on yer for doing your best.

As another post describes the best way is to get into a non confrontational conversation, distract the person maybe, and try to be seen as a help.

Easy to say but very difficult to do in a violent situation. Ask any door man.

By *arkstaffsMan
over a year ago

Rugeley

"You were quite right in my opinion. That's a terrible thing to do - slap a child down and then carry out a further assault - that's what it is - while the child is down. Did you inform the police? Was there any CCTV the social services can look at? That woman doesn't deserve kids. No matter how stressed and pissed off you are with your kids, you should take a big dose of self control. That's almost impossible at times, I know, I've got kids and they've driven me mad at times but I've never battered them, the occasional smack yes but to go garrity with them - never. Well done you. "

Can't put it better myself, Well done NN, that woman was way out of order and nothing more than a thug, I hope the police or social services catch up with her.

over a year ago

"I

We lose something valuable when we lose our ability to say something for fear of being persecuted though. "

I dont condone violence on those who do not deserve it or cannot defend themselves.

My mum worked in the police force and she told me of men who tried to help but had the book thrown at them.

When I am out on the town I have come across plenty of women who are defenceless, d*unk and quite simply, targets.

How do I know they're targets? I see men eyeing them up but I am a man, the best course of action I can do is make sure she finds her friends.

One thing I will think twice about is approaching a woman hitting her child, men HAVE been accused of being child molesters/rapists and have been ruined as a result.

If you're foolish enough to do that then so be it, I am a realist, not a coward.

over a year ago

"One thing I will think twice about is approaching a woman hitting her child, men HAVE been accused of being child molesters/rapists and have been ruined as a result.

If you're foolish enough to do that then so be it, I am a realist, not a coward."

Correct me if I am wrong but you would assist a d*unken woman but not assist a helpless child?

I'll just carry on being foolish then ...

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/07/12 14:58:23]

over a year ago

"One thing I will think twice about is approaching a woman hitting her child, men HAVE been accused of being child molesters/rapists and have been ruined as a result.

If you're foolish enough to do that then so be it, I am a realist, not a coward.

Correct me if I am wrong but you would assist a d*unken woman but not assist a helpless child?

I'll just carry on being foolish then ..."

helping isnt always about saying something or getting involved pysically

You can be a silent helper, on a night out in a busy town there are always police about so if you see a woman who you feel is a target you can get a copper to go over to her, if you see a mother beating her child, im not going to say hitting cause most will slap a child leg, i mean if you see what you feel goes beyond reasonable again you can call the police or find someone in authority to go over, ok not always anyone about and i know half the time the women will have gone before the cops turn up, but i would at least have to try and not just turn away from a child being unreasonably hit or a guy beating a woman etc

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I

We lose something valuable when we lose our ability to say something for fear of being persecuted though.

I dont condone violence on those who do not deserve it or cannot defend themselves.

My mum worked in the police force and she told me of men who tried to help but had the book thrown at them.

When I am out on the town I have come across plenty of women who are defenceless, d*unk and quite simply, targets.

How do I know they're targets? I see men eyeing them up but I am a man, the best course of action I can do is make sure she finds her friends.

One thing I will think twice about is approaching a woman hitting her child, men HAVE been accused of being child molesters/rapists and have been ruined as a result.

If you're foolish enough to do that then so be it, I am a realist, not a coward."

I do agree here, i think people do have to be careful, sadly its the world we live in, guys helping a woman...i have read and heard cases that suggest its not a good idea...all in all i think its best left to the police

over a year ago

"

If you're foolish enough to do that then so be it, I am a realist, not a coward.I do agree here, i think people do have to be careful, sadly its the world we live in, guys helping a woman...i have read and heard cases that suggest its not a good idea...all in all i think its best left to the police"

As you quoted me replying to another I should say that I was disagreeing with his saying that he would assist a woman (something you say is dangerous) but NOT assist a child. Something I think is just unacceptable.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"

If you're foolish enough to do that then so be it, I am a realist, not a coward.I do agree here, i think people do have to be careful, sadly its the world we live in, guys helping a woman...i have read and heard cases that suggest its not a good idea...all in all i think its best left to the police

As you quoted me replying to another I should say that I was disagreeing with his saying that he would assist a woman (something you say is dangerous) but NOT assist a child. Something I think is just unacceptable."

We cant all be "have a go Joes" can we? Given the circumstances, which vary , we can all say id do this id do that etc...rarely people doing, is the same as them saying....you think its unacceptable, the other poster says otherwise..neither is wrong IMHO

over a year ago

"

As you quoted me replying to another I should say that I was disagreeing with his saying that he would assist a woman (something you say is dangerous) but NOT assist a child. Something I think is just unacceptable."

I have assisted a child before in a work environment and once or twice in a shopping area/festival.

Did I shit bricks about the thought of all those men in the papers being accused of touching the child when in fact they simply saw a lost child and wanted to help?

yes I did.

over a year ago

"

If you're foolish enough to do that then so be it, I am a realist, not a coward.I do agree here, i think people do have to be careful, sadly its the world we live in, guys helping a woman...i have read and heard cases that suggest its not a good idea...all in all i think its best left to the police

Even if the child doesn't want to be assisted by a stranger? Children are told time and time again to avoid strangers and quite rightly so. You see everything can be seen in more than one light.

over a year ago

"

I have assisted a child before in a work environment and once or twice in a shopping area/festival.

Did I shit bricks about the thought of all those men in the papers being accused of touching the child when in fact they simply saw a lost child and wanted to help?

yes I did. "

Well good for you at last. But that isn't quite what you posted earlier. In fact you said twice you would NOT get into helping a child. So either you were forgetful, misleading or have changed your tune. I will assume it was forgetfulness.

over a year ago

While i applaud your efforts at trying to help the poor wee mite, i personally would have picked my own kid up and walked to the nearest bus stop!

It could have turned out a LOT worse! If she was THAT violent with her own kid what would be the chances of a knife or other weapon being brought into play when you intervened? (slim but has happened). Would you have liked your own kid to witness mummy being assaulted for trying to help??

Plus, what was her answer when you asked her why she was so upset at her kids? At least, i hope you asked before you intervened!!

While there should be no excuse for ABUSING kids maybe she lost her purse and was worried how she was going to feed her kids that week and snapped! Maybe a daddy was in an accident and she was upset!

People snap for diff reasons!

over a year ago

"

Even if the child doesn't want to be assisted by a stranger? Children are told time and time again to avoid strangers and quite rightly so. You see everything can be seen in more than one light."

And there lies the dilemma of course. The PC mafia has made us think twice about the basic human need to protect children. But yes I would step in and assist a child if it was being beaten up in a public place and as I said I have done so. Not sure where a child would not want to be assisted if it was being beaten up (which is where the OP started from). You can assist without being judgmental or using violence and just defuse the situation so those in the middle of it can step back, take a breather, calm down.

over a year ago

Well said! This is the approach I would have taken (and have).

over a year ago

But as i said we can all talk with hindsight

Well said! This is the approach I would have taken (and have). "

over a year ago

Amazing how the OP's post has gathered speed - and well done her for doing what she did - too many people keep quiet these days for fear of repercussions...

Mrs GT

over a year ago

Yes NN, I would have done similar.

I personally believe the more people did openly involve themselves in bad behaviour (be that aimed at children or any behaviour deemed wrong) then the good would start to place themselves in a winning position, too often we turn a blind eye.

over a year ago

"Yes NN, I would have done similar.

I personally believe the more people did openly involve themselves in bad behaviour (be that aimed at children or any behaviour deemed wrong) then the good would start to place themselves in a winning position, too often we turn a blind eye."

ye, and maybe we could all dress up as batman and run about righting wrongs! Thats what the police are for!!

over a year ago

"ye, and maybe we could all dress up as batman and run about righting wrongs! Thats what the police are for!! "

WEll that was a really helpful comment ..

The police can't be everywhere and yes may have a part to play but surely better to defuse a situation, help all concerned (yes even the person hitting the child) and avoid the police and criminal justice system ?

over a year ago

"Yes NN, I would have done similar.

I personally believe the more people did openly involve themselves in bad behaviour (be that aimed at children or any behaviour deemed wrong) then the good would start to place themselves in a winning position, too often we turn a blind eye.

ye, and maybe we could all dress up as batman and run about righting wrongs! Thats what the police are for!! "

I'm not talking about playing super hero's, but when there's shit going on caused by the minority and many stood around rolling their eyes then a simple vocal chorus may well suffice.

By *kin BohnerMan
over a year ago

derby

You did the right thing and I hope I would if faced with that situation, abuse is abuse and there is no justification. I do think I'd have called the boys in blue and used my camera to get evidence of the slap.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Not disputing the OP's courage, in fact at some level admiring her for it... nonetheless I would prefer a less confrontational approach, simply because I would worry what the poor child might go home to if mum is even more wound up by being criticised.

Post new Message to Thread