Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you love your dog too much?

Jump to newest

By *empsey and hotpiece OP   Man
over a year ago

North west

Had our mutt 18months now, he’s so sweet natured and makes us laugh with his cheeky antics, and I worry how emotionally attached I’ve become to him, he’s not even 2 yet but the thought of there being a time he won’t be here, fills me with as much sadness as the thought of losing a loved family member.

Stupid I know. Is this a standard emotion with dog owners? Kim had a little dog when we got together and when we lost her, I was sad but not massively, I’d never owned a dog before so when we got the boy we have now, he latched onto me and we became best friends.

Feel like I’m going soft in my old age .

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm not sure there's a thing as too much. They're family. You love wholly even knowing what that will mean when the time comes.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Mine are amazing. I love them so much. I have a bulldog who is positively ancient now and doesn’t really walk much. I get up happily in the middle of the night to let him out if he needs it.

I tell him all the time how important he is. When he goes I will be distraught.

He’s on his orthopaedic bed under my desk as I type snoring away.

The others are a bullmastiff and a whippet collie x they are on cat patrol in the garden somewhere.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You cant live a dog too much. What everive you show them is reflected back. A dog is one of the few animals that loves you more than itself

over a year ago

Love my husky more than anyone alive

By *lasphemousGirlWoman
over a year ago

Cambs

Definitely supposed to love them like family. It's rewarding and heart breaking being a pet owner, but the benefits outweigh any negatives for me.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I think everyone knows how I feel about Pooch .

He literally changed my life

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

Mine is a ratbag. She drives me completely nuts. But I'd do anything for her and she knows it.

Love her to the moon and back

By *urchoicenowCouple
over a year ago

Ashford

We've got 7 puppies here at the moment all but one off to their new homes this week. Going to be gutted tbh

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

Yes is the simple answer..all 3 of them..

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Mine is the naughtiest knobhead on Earth, but I love him to bits and wouldn't change him for the world...as with all the dogs I've lost in the past, I'll be devastated when he goes

over a year ago

i love this dog.

sadly no longer with us but he is great

https://youtu.be/XLgP8UQfy_Q

By *oson-BlueCouple
over a year ago

North Kent

I cannot imagine my life without my girl she's just so loving and although she's annoying sometimes I would do anything for her, I don't believe you can love them too much

Ms B

By *ersnickety PantsWoman
over a year ago

Club Meets Only

My dog is definitely one of the kids, I don't think there's any such thing as loving an animal too much

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

"Had our mutt 18months now, he’s so sweet natured and makes us laugh with his cheeky antics, and I worry how emotionally attached I’ve become to him, he’s not even 2 yet but the thought of there being a time he won’t be here, fills me with as much sadness as the thought of losing a loved family member.

Stupid I know. Is this a standard emotion with dog owners? Kim had a little dog when we got together and when we lost her, I was sad but not massively, I’d never owned a dog before so when we got the boy we have now, he latched onto me and we became best friends.

Feel like I’m going soft in my old age . "

Your real test may come in possibly 20 years time when you look at your old dog and think he/she is in pain I need to have him/her put to sleep.

Getting all mushy about things now are similar to infatuation

over a year ago

My dog was my best friend on four legs. Lost her 2 years ago age 15. I was heartbroken and still miss her... they give us absolute unconditional love, how could we not love them back like family

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

Don't think about it now, dogs have heartbreakingly short lives compared to us and yes it's deeply upsetting when you lose one, but you have many good years and good times with them ahead so enjoy it. Once the grief of losing a dog subsides you still have the happy memories of them and knowing that you gave them a great life

By *beefMan
over a year ago

Long eaton

My dogs are my world I've left work and family gatherings early many times to be with them even if one of them can be a twat at times.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Mines in old age with all the accompanying illnesses and I will be in bits when I lose him, but we make good memories every day

I found a cute memory box for his stuff yesterday and a friend is painting his portrait

over a year ago

All of ours are like family, all with their own little quirks and personalities. Try not to think of the inevitable that will come

By *ollycouple71Couple
over a year ago

manchester

"I'm not sure there's a thing as too much. They're family. You love wholly even knowing what that will mean when the time comes."
yep

By *9 kisses.Man
over a year ago

clacton on sea

I've got a black labrador who's coming up to 15, some days he thinks his a puppy still,

My youngest son dotes on him, whenever he helps himself to a biscuit he always takes one for the dog,

He will be devastated when he chases the clouds,

over a year ago

I know exactly what you mean, we’ve had dogs before who I’ve loved and been devastated s when we’ve lost them, but our current one has really attached himself to me and I honestly get the same fear pangs you describe.

I’m currently looking out for a companion for him because he’s got so much clingier since we lost our other one last year, puppy prices are insane since lockdown though!

By *uxomBoobs195Woman
over a year ago

Rotherham

I wouldnt be without my Bess.

I lost my Bedlington last year (she was 11). I had her for 2 weeks from finding a nasty lump and taking her to the vets to find out what it was, to when that heartbreaking last day came and I had to let her go. I still get upset if i think about that day too much.

A month or so later and I went to the local dog rescue centre and there Bess was. An slightly old, medium sized fully black dog with a staffy looking head- i imagen she would have stayed there a long while if I'd spotted her.

It is just me and my son here and she has firmly took the role as my shadow and comforter. She eats better than i do most days and most nights I end up on the edge of the bed while she's sprawled out on the rest of the bed.

Wouldnt change her for anything

over a year ago

I have 4 dogs.

They are my family.

I don’t go out in the evenings as I don’t want to leave the dogs.

Post new Message to Thread