Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Best pasta replacement

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've been following a low carb diet for a while now and have been on the hunt for a pasta replacement. Have tried courgetti, butternut squash and some absolutely godawful keto "pastas" but (if anybody is also doing keto/low carb and is interested in this) I can finally announce the winner is... Cabbage!

Took me by surprise too but I used parboiled cabbage leaves in place of lasagne sheets and the texture stays chewy and meaty just like pasta. It's also the veggie that looks the most like pasta out of all the ones I've tried.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I use courgette sliced with a potato peeler for lasagne. I found the bare noodles quite nice as long as you rinse them well and fry them

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I've been following a low carb diet for a while now and have been on the hunt for a pasta replacement. Have tried courgetti, butternut squash and some absolutely godawful keto "pastas" but (if anybody is also doing keto/low carb and is interested in this) I can finally announce the winner is... Cabbage!

Took me by surprise too but I used parboiled cabbage leaves in place of lasagne sheets and the texture stays chewy and meaty just like pasta. It's also the veggie that looks the most like pasta out of all the ones I've tried."

12 years keto here *waves*

Eventually, replacements don't matter but I know what you mean, I spent two years trying to perfect carb replacements and some are amazing (fathead dough) now I don't bother and am fully carnivore.

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

Celery cut into thin strips to replace spaghetti?

Eating celery burns more calories than it contains, a true diet food

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yes, I finely slice cabbage to replace linguine or spaghetti. My favourite replacement for pasta, rice and spuds has to be cauliflower rice though.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Ohhh ok..so mandolined butternut squash maybe?

But why wouldn't you just eat something else rather than try to 'replace' pasta?

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

I find in terms of taste, texture and fulfilment replacing your pasta with pasta works great.

over a year ago

"Yes, I finely slice cabbage to replace linguine or spaghetti. My favourite replacement for pasta, rice and spuds has to be cauliflower rice though."

Love cauliflower rice!! It soaks up curries so beautifully and is way more filling so I need less of it

over a year ago

Sainsbury's used to sell low carb noodles in the fresh salad section

They weren't ZERO carb, but better than the full carb alternative

over a year ago

"Ohhh ok..so mandolined butternut squash maybe?

But why wouldn't you just eat something else rather than try to 'replace' pasta? "

I usually do, but sometimes it's nice to have something special that reminds you of homecooked comfort food

over a year ago

I just have a small amount of brown pasta or rice it’s worked for me look at Keto recipes

over a year ago

"I use courgette sliced with a potato peeler for lasagne. I found the bare noodles quite nice as long as you rinse them well and fry them "

I have done courgetti a few times but find that it doesn't really keep me full for long tastes great though

over a year ago

I'm sorry Amber I respect what you're doing - but why would you want to go through life cutting out whole food groups?

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

We all need a bit of sugar sometimes.

It's hard to control - but I'd rather be fat than give up carbs x

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I've used the bare naked noodles as spaghetti. It's quite expensive but decent.

over a year ago

"I've been following a low carb diet for a while now and have been on the hunt for a pasta replacement. Have tried courgetti, butternut squash and some absolutely godawful keto "pastas" but (if anybody is also doing keto/low carb and is interested in this) I can finally announce the winner is... Cabbage!

Took me by surprise too but I used parboiled cabbage leaves in place of lasagne sheets and the texture stays chewy and meaty just like pasta. It's also the veggie that looks the most like pasta out of all the ones I've tried.

12 years keto here *waves*

Eventually, replacements don't matter but I know what you mean, I spent two years trying to perfect carb replacements and some are amazing (fathead dough) now I don't bother and am fully carnivore."

I've made fathead dough pizza twice now and offered a taste to a couple of people who all thought it was real bread!!

I know what you mean. At first it was hard and I was still making sugar free, low carb desserts to replace my cravings but I am learning to eat for function now and appreciating the taste of whole, nutritious foods by themselves a lot more rather than relying on pairing them with pasta/rice/potatoes. But once in a while a lasagne's still nice ennit

over a year ago

"Yes, I finely slice cabbage to replace linguine or spaghetti. My favourite replacement for pasta, rice and spuds has to be cauliflower rice though."

I’ve still to make cauliflower rice. It’s on my list.

over a year ago

"I'm sorry Amber I respect what you're doing - but why would you want to go through life cutting out whole food groups?

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

It's hard to control - but I'd rather be fat than give up carbs x"

im doing it to reverse type two diabetes and it’s working and I’ve lost am over a stone in weight, I still have some carbs but in moderation

over a year ago

"I'm sorry Amber I respect what you're doing - but why would you want to go through life cutting out whole food groups?

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

I agree, and I'm not planning on doing this forever, just until I get to my goal weight and then planning to transition to a more balanced diet. Also every two weeks or so I have a cheat day and eat anything I want (in moderation), then get right back on it the next day.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Have you tried the slim pastas from Holland and Barrett .... 9 cals per 100g, no carbs, no sugars they aren’t a bad alternative

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Try slimming world recipes as they are full of fabulous alternatives. Carbs equals sugar.

over a year ago

Took me by surprise too but I used parboiled cabbage leaves in place of lasagne sheets and the texture stays chewy and meaty just like pasta. It's also the veggie that looks the most like pasta out of all the ones I've tried."

Hi Op

Cabbage is great idea. How about large spinach or Vine leaves?

As spinach lasagne. I might try that. I eat too much bread lately. Didn't buy any today.

over a year ago

"Have you tried the slim pastas from Holland and Barrett .... 9 cals per 100g, no carbs, no sugars they aren’t a bad alternative "

I have, years ago when I was on a konjac kick lol. Tbh I prefer veggie replacements as it's a great way of including more vitamins and micronutrients into my diet

over a year ago

Hi Op

As spinach lasagne. I might try that. I eat too much bread lately. Didn't buy any today.

"

Hmm spinach would wilt too much. Cabbage stays nice and firm, the texture really is very similar to pasta. Spinach might be nice in the bolognese layer though. Mine was made from quorn mince and pasta sauce and I bulked it out with courgette, onion, mushrooms and red pepper. My "white sauce" was made from butter, cream, soft cheese and cheddar; I got 4 very big portions from it which came out to 554cal/13g carbs/44g fat (high fat but that's normal for keto).

Tasted delicious fresh out of the oven but even better the next day!

over a year ago

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

It's hard to control - but I'd rather be fat than give up carbs xim doing it to reverse type two diabetes and it’s working and I’ve lost am over a stone in weight, I still have some carbs but in moderation "

Congrats!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

I was exactly the same 12 years ago, fat and active but T2 and all the other metabolic illnesses ticking away.

They've all gone, I have a cracking body and my health is better now than it was in my 30's. I will never eat carbs again.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I just have a small amount of brown pasta or rice it’s worked for me look at Keto recipes "

For those of us that are or were fat, a little bit of carbs just leads to a whole lot more.

Whole or brown of anything is not 'healthier' and turns into sugar.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Hi Op

Hmm spinach would wilt too much. Cabbage stays nice and firm, the texture really is very similar to pasta. Spinach might be nice in the bolognese layer though. Mine was made from quorn mince and pasta sauce and I bulked it out with courgette, onion, mushrooms and red pepper. My "white sauce" was made from butter, cream, soft cheese and cheddar; I got 4 very big portions from it which came out to 554cal/13g carbs/44g fat (high fat but that's normal for keto).

Tasted delicious fresh out of the oven but even better the next day! "

You clearly know what you are doing, you rock!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

It's hard to control - but I'd rather be fat than give up carbs xim doing it to reverse type two diabetes and it’s working and I’ve lost am over a stone in weight, I still have some carbs but in moderation "

It really works, my latest HbA1C was 27

over a year ago

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

I was exactly the same 12 years ago, fat and active but T2 and all the other metabolic illnesses ticking away.

They've all gone, I have a cracking body and my health is better now than it was in my 30's. I will never eat carbs again."

Topsy your body looks awesome and that's great that a low carb diet works for you.

But I don't want to completely give up the foods I love in order to be slimmer.

I'd rather be chubby and allowed to eat a pizza and drink some wine.

It's pleasure for me.

I dont have any illnesses and I feel good

over a year ago

Hi Op

Tasted delicious fresh out of the oven but even better the next day!

You clearly know what you are doing, you rock!"

Thank you so do you!!

over a year ago

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

It's hard to control - but I'd rather be fat than give up carbs xim doing it to reverse type two diabetes and it’s working and I’ve lost am over a stone in weight, I still have some carbs but in moderation

It really works, my latest HbA1C was 27"

Yep mine has gone from 56 to 45

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

They've all gone, I have a cracking body and my health is better now than it was in my 30's. I will never eat carbs again.

Topsy your body looks awesome and that's great that a low carb diet works for you.

It's pleasure for me.

"

I adore carbs and I have a whole menu planned if I'm ever told I'm going to die. Until then my health is paramount.

I had no idea I had any underlying health conditions until a random blood test and by then, my insulin receptors were so badly damaged, I have no choice but to avoid carbs.

I was almost 21 stones.

I always say diabetes set me free.

over a year ago

Pasta is delicious.

Wholemeal pasta maybe?

Low carb = torture.

It's pleasure for me.

"

That's great! You should do whatever makes you feel good

I do miss carbs sometimes but I'm getting my pleasure from seeing the numbers on the scale drop and having increased energy and stamina. It's a different kind of pleasure than pizza and cake give me but it's great nonetheless it does get hard sometimes but like I mentioned I still have the occasional cheat day so I know I will be able to have what I'm craving eventually as long as I just stick it out to my next one.

If you like pizza and wine don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't have it (apart from your doctor if your health is really messed up lol). My only intention with this thread was to share my new discovery with other people who may be in the same boat as me or are interested in low carb, not to shame anybody's diet

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Yes, I finely slice cabbage to replace linguine or spaghetti. My favourite replacement for pasta, rice and spuds has to be cauliflower rice though.

I’ve still to make cauliflower rice. It’s on my list. "

I buy frozen.

over a year ago

crikey.

i got a few options to try now

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"Yes, I finely slice cabbage to replace linguine or spaghetti. My favourite replacement for pasta, rice and spuds has to be cauliflower rice though.

I’ve still to make cauliflower rice. It’s on my list. "

I'll make you some when you come over, it's easier and nicer than rice.

over a year ago

I buy frozen. "

Where from?? Would save me so much time spent cleaning the food processor haha.

Does it go soggy/soft at all? I have a load of frozen cauli but find that it comes out a lot wetter than raw when cooked Nightmare trying to roast it!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I buy frozen.

Does it go soggy/soft at all? I have a load of frozen cauli but find that it comes out a lot wetter than raw when cooked Nightmare trying to roast it! "

I just rinse mine.

Iceland do loads of keto stuff, including a green 'rice'.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I buy frozen.

Does it go soggy/soft at all? I have a load of frozen cauli but find that it comes out a lot wetter than raw when cooked Nightmare trying to roast it! "

Iceland. I don't find it wet at all. Tesco do it too. I've never roasted it though.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I buy frozen.

Maybe microwave it then let it cool and dry on kitchen roll.

Listen to me being all Jamie Oliver

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

I tried low carb for 6 week a couple of years back and I admit I felt healthier but it was just too much work to keep it up. And expensive.

Post new Message to Thread