FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How many of you have a personal trainer?

Jump to newest

By *he Professional OP   Man
over a year ago

chester

I was just wondering how many people on here have a personal trainer, what benefits you have had from it and who’s too nervous about even going the gym/PT

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have. When i first started training i had a rubbish routine, got nowhere and had zero confidence. I had a pt once a week for 2 months to set up a routine then just had one pt session every 3 weeks. To mix things up and track progess.

The key is finding a decent one

over a year ago

Nah, I’m motivated enough and do my homework on Physiologically And biomechanics, so there’s nothing they could teach me I don’t already know.

over a year ago

"I was just wondering how many people on here have a personal trainer, what benefits you have had from it and who’s too nervous about even going the gym/PT"

I don't go to a gym as it's not an environment I would feel relaxed in. This is for many reasons such as self consciousness, too many mirrors, feeling inadequate, afraid of embarrassing myself etc

I also prefer to be outdoors, there's so much beauty to be seen outside whilst I exercise. I love to run, walk and paddleboard.

For running my boyfriend is like my personal trainer, he's an experienced runner and helps me tremendously with training plans, diet, and everything involved in improving my performance as a runner.

So, would I recommend a personal trainer...yes absolutely I would. You want to learn what's right for your body and a PT will give you that help whatever sport you are doing.

Her x

By *ai24Man
over a year ago

town

"I have. When i first started training i had a rubbish routine, got nowhere and had zero confidence. I had a pt once a week for 2 months to set up a routine then just had one pt session every 3 weeks. To mix things up and track progess.

The key is finding a decent one "

Spot on! If the PT doesn’t reinforce your own will power and ability to achieve your desired outcome independently he’s lining his pockets nothing more.

over a year ago

I think more folk could benefit from life coaching or mentoring rather than just the physical side.... Once your head is in the right place then most other aspects of life and goals are piss easy....

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I had one for a few months but being an ex dancer I have quite good awareness of my body positioning so once I learnt correct form and how it felt in order to maintain it on my own I continued to work out on my own. If I wanted to incorporate something new I was unsure of though I wouldn't hesitate to book him again for a few sessions .

over a year ago

I have a personal trainer - see him once aweek. It's normally in the gym but also sometimes in the park when it's nice.

Anyone looking to get fit it fitter, but not sure how to go about it - a personal trainer is a good way , as they'll work with you on your goals etc.

Also my guy gives me "homework" , we me checks up on me to make sure I'm doing it. So it helps with motivation , as I'm held accountable by him.

Overall definitely recommend one, but only if you not sure what you doing or how to reach your goals.

over a year ago

I had one for a few years, really helped me get on track.

I would recommend looking for a PT with their own gym, both because it means they're pretty established/reliable and so you're not fighting to get to the equipment!

If a PT has their own gym then they have skin in the game, if they just train through a public gym then you might get a good one but it's a bit of a crapshoot unless someone recommends them.

over a year ago

"I was just wondering how many people on here have a personal trainer, what benefits you have had from it and who’s too nervous about even going the gym/PT

I don't go to a gym as it's not an environment I would feel relaxed in. This is for many reasons such as self consciousness, too many mirrors, feeling inadequate, afraid of embarrassing myself etc

I also prefer to be outdoors, there's so much beauty to be seen outside whilst I exercise. I love to run, walk and paddleboard.

For running my boyfriend is like my personal trainer, he's an experienced runner and helps me tremendously with training plans, diet, and everything involved in improving my performance as a runner.

So, would I recommend a personal trainer...yes absolutely I would. You want to learn what's right for your body and a PT will give you that help whatever sport you are doing.

Her x"

Why would you feel self conscious or inadequate ? You are gorgeous !

But I agree I prefer to be outdoors too

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

I love having a PT, I switched from a very expensive gym to a much cheaper one so that I could afford PT sessions.

She takes a really holistic approach, it's not just about your training, but about your mindset, habits and headspace etc...

It also helps me not bail on getting to the gym when my CFS is bad (and when it is she easily switches it up so I push myself just not too hard...)

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I have used on and off , currently spending the money on sports massage and stretching instead.

They are absolute rubbish at most gyms, other than for beginner needing a little motivation they are gym cleaners with a crappy Level 2 or 3 vocational qualification. Once you know what you are doing you need a highly experienced professional, out of the gym at home or there place, and they cost 3x the gym rate

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I had one for a few years, really helped me get on track.

I would recommend looking for a PT with their own gym, both because it means they're pretty established/reliable and so you're not fighting to get to the equipment!

If a PT has their own gym then they have skin in the game, if they just train through a public gym then you might get a good one but it's a bit of a crapshoot unless someone recommends them."

I would recommend find someone like Kelly at Thebodyproject dot net

over a year ago

I don’t have a PT but I do they they are worth it especially finding a good reputable one that tailors and caters the workout and diet individually to you

over a year ago

I'm not that rich lol

By *rmrs1234Couple
over a year ago

Waterford

i have himself. Hes been doing weights etc for years so he does up my plans etc for me. Prob knows more than most people working in a gym

By *kyblue1878Couple
over a year ago

Southport

Mrs Skyblue has a triathlon coach. Mr does his own training from listening to his own body.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Nope. I can't afford one

over a year ago

I am a guinea pig for mine.. He is studying towards whatever the qualification is, took a shine to me after i joined the gym and decided he was going to train me

He is in his 70's

I often have to ask him to stop perving on me. One day I fear he will have a heart attack. My DD has asked me to start wearing pants under my leggings

over a year ago

"I am a guinea pig for mine.. He is studying towards whatever the qualification is, took a shine to me after i joined the gym and decided he was going to train me

He is in his 70's

I often have to ask him to stop perving on me. One day I fear he will have a heart attack. My DD has asked me to start wearing pants under my leggings "

But in reality it is nice to have company and someone to train with

over a year ago

"I was just wondering how many people on here have a personal trainer, what benefits you have had from it and who’s too nervous about even going the gym/PT

Her x"

Yes the confidence thing is a big barrier... If it wasn't for my PT, i wouldn't go into the weights room.. When in reality it's my fave activity

over a year ago

I use a PT once a week, key thing is agreeing a target for you before you start i.e. what are your goals, fitness, strength, a six pack!

By *heslimoneMan
over a year ago

Deeside

Do i look like i do?

over a year ago

show off

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Malmesbury

Nope, I do my own thing these days, if I don't fancy training then I'll give it a miss. It would've been nice to have had a coach when I was younger and doing quite well at 10 mile and 1/2 marathon road races. Had a cross country skiing coach and improved massively over the space of 1 race season.

over a year ago

I’d love a PT to whoop me into shape but not in the way your post reads

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've had one help me with long term injuries. Really life changing if you get a good one.

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

I don’t but I’d love one

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Meeeee! I can't do gym without help (disability) so having that help from a personal trainer who has researched my issues, attended physio with me AND is on my ridiculous sense of humour wavelength to boot has been really motivating for me. I found the right PT first time, but don't be afraid to change if you think he or she is not right for you. The PTs at my gym freely recognise each other's strengths and weaknesses and refer clients to each other.

over a year ago

I'm on a weight loss journey.

22lbs so far

I have 50lbs to go

I think I'd like a PT after another 14lbs or so.

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

south west

Been thinking of getting one, my motivation is at an all time low

over a year ago

I have one. But not for personal training

over a year ago

Bri if it’s of a personal trainer

The number one be if it is you have someone you have to go and see to do the exercise if you have to go the gym you will put it off if you have a need you will want to attend a PT session that’s what I’ve found over the years.

Hope this helps

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I was just wondering how many people on here have a personal trainer, what benefits you have had from it and who’s too nervous about even going the gym/PT"

I have once come to me once a week, currently for 45 mins weighted cardio , should have done it years ago. it’s a massive boost, some weeks I’m almost passing out we work so hard. I’ve been training for years but always struggled with cardio , so I’d say pick the area you find it hardest to do and use them for that. Try a few out as most of them are rubbish tbh, especially ones that work in gyms, they are basically cleaners with a NVQ. in treadmill or something. Get one with real testimonials and ideally one who has studied a proper degree or has years or experience in sport , military or something like that.

Once you have one take the lead as some will get lazy and don’t be worried about changing them after a month or two if the initial wow factor fades and you get into a rut, it’s their job to keep the pressure and interest level just right so you keep making gains but don’t over train and most are too inexperienced to know how to do that

Post new Message to Thread