Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should shops be closed on a sunday?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nope, I think they should be open the same as any other day of the week. It is then a person's choice to go shopping or not.

over a year ago

No, it used to be that way in the UK but why inconvenience people when many only get the weekend to get out to the shops.

over a year ago

It was great. Standby for people asking why Sunday though!

over a year ago

I am currently in the country where shops are closed on Sunday. I run out of tomato puree so had to improvise with cherry tomatoes sauce. Small convenience shops can open as long as it's the owner who sells rather than asking people to come to work. I dont know all ins and outs.. but I think its unfair that people have no choice.. then again those who are forced to work on Sunday dont have choice either.. but so dont emergency services etc.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out "
I've always thought they should never have opened. I've got some shops near me that still do half day closing on Wednesday too

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"No, it used to be that way in the UK but why inconvenience people when many only get the weekend to get out to the shops."
with most shops having till recently been open 24 hours.. I think one day off a week would have been good.

By *ikilovesCCouple
over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out "

No lol, some of us in rural areas can only get to do any shopping at the weekends,

so cutting it down to one day a week would be a pain

I remember working in holland when they had strict opening hours, just getting groceries was a pain in the butt when you were on a job all day.

over a year ago

I agree, they should close.

When I was small if you didn't have it on Friday then you were stuffed until Monday.

If you know the shops are closed on a Sunday you'd make sure you had it in. People should be able to cope one day without a shop

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Pre Sunday opening was great. It used to be very quiet everywhere and Sunday afternoon was filled only by the sound of lawnmowers.

I'm not sure I agree with stopping Sunday trading though. Our lives are lived 24/7 nowadays, we're a multi-cultural, multi-faith society, Sunday isn't significant to a large part of the population.

What I would like to see is choice for the people who work in retail. If on genuine religious grounds you prefer not to work on Sundays you should have that choice. I also don't think it's necessary for Next or anybody else to start their sale at 6am on Boxing Day, let retail workers have two days with their family at the winter festival.

over a year ago

I think it would promote more family time on a Sunday. I remember when shops didn’t open on a Sunday

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

Sunday is usually my one day off so, nope.

There's miles and miles of tranquil if you need it.

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

When I was growing up the only shops that were open on a Sunday were newsagents which doubled up as convenient shops and off licences. In some ways it was good as you got a whole day with all the family together but I am guessing it may have proved difficult for people that worked nights nights or did overtime on a Saturday as it may have proved awkward to do your weekly food shop. I think now with internet shopping perhaps supermarkets could close on a Sunday although looking at my local shopping centre Asda and Lidl seem busy enough so perhaps leave things as they are.

By *he naughty pairCouple
over a year ago

Bicester

"Pre Sunday opening was great. It used to be very quiet everywhere and Sunday afternoon was filled only by the sound of lawnmowers.

I'm not sure I agree with stopping Sunday trading though. Our lives are lived 24/7 nowadays, we're a multi-cultural, multi-faith society, Sunday isn't significant to a large part of the population.

What I would like to see is choice for the people who work in retail. If on genuine religious grounds you prefer not to work on Sundays you should have that choice. I also don't think it's necessary for Next or anybody else to start their sale at 6am on Boxing Day, let retail workers have two days with their family at the winter festival."

Haven't you kinda contradicted yourself? Christmas day and boxing day aren't significant to a large part 9f the population somwhy can't large.retailers start their sales 6am boxing day or Xmas day for that matter??

By *he naughty pairCouple
over a year ago

Bicester

"Pre Sunday opening was great. It used to be very quiet everywhere and Sunday afternoon was filled only by the sound of lawnmowers.

What I would like to see is choice for the people who work in retail. If on genuine religious grounds you prefer not to work on Sundays you should have that choice. I also don't think it's necessary for Next or anybody else to start their sale at 6am on Boxing Day, let retail workers have two days with their family at the winter festival.

Haven't you kinda contradicted yourself? Christmas day and boxing day aren't significant to a large part 9f the population somwhy can't large.retailers start their sales 6am boxing day or Xmas day for that matter??"

Sorry for the crap spelling and errors in that post. My fingers are a little fat for the keyboard lol

over a year ago

No. I’d rather they be open.

By *ourayloversCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

We've become lazy consumers and the supermarkets have capitalised on that

Personally I would prefer them closed

Ray

over a year ago

But then everyone would be bored and come and fill up my nice quiet countryside, no keep the shops open and let me walk in the woods in peace

over a year ago

"then again those who are forced to work on Sunday dont have choice either.. but so dont emergency services etc. "

Not sure people are forced to work on a Sunday.

If you are a regular weekly member of staff you will get double/triple time if it's extra to your hours. Or it will be part of your normal hours which would mean you get time off in the week.

Most shops probably have dedicated weekend staff though - used to be usually younger people earning a bit of extra cash (I used to have a weekend job at Tesco).

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Yes deffo ! Back in the day was sunday and weds afternoons x

over a year ago

"But then everyone would be bored and come and fill up my nice quiet countryside, no keep the shops open and let me walk in the woods in peace "

Good point. Let the zombies shop!!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Haven't you kinda contradicted yourself? Christmas day and boxing day aren't significant to a large part 9f the population somwhy can't large.retailers start their sales 6am boxing day or Xmas day for that matter??"

If you notice I deliberately called it winter festival, I'm not Christian myself but think two days a year for people to celebrate together is a good thing

over a year ago

For me, I don't hold an opinion. I coped before when everything was shut on a Sunday (except newsagents?), and I'll cope again.

If people get a job in a sector of society that covers 7 days a week, then they should expect to be rostered as such, unless written into their contract.

I worked in a sector and was rostered on 2.5 weekends a month, or rather 1.5 off (so for a 5 weekend month I still only had 1.5 off).

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

When I was growing up, shops were closed on Sundays and on Wednesday afternoons. I remember a lot of places were only open 9am to 5pm too.

It was, frankly, a fucking nuisance. Thank fuck I moved out of that backwater and into twenty-first century civilization.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

No. I hated Sundays as a kid. It was so boring.

I only get two days off a week and I want the options of doing whatever I want on those days.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The thing is we do have a choice. We can choose not to shop on Sunday.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 02/08/20 11:11:39]

over a year ago

"But then everyone would be bored and come and fill up my nice quiet countryside, no keep the shops open and let me walk in the woods in peace

Good point. Let the zombies shop!!"

I now have images of the zombie filled shopping centre from 'Day of the Dead'

over a year ago

"But then everyone would be bored and come and fill up my nice quiet countryside, no keep the shops open and let me walk in the woods in peace

Good point. Let the zombies shop!!"

I wouldnt object to an icecream man driving by though.

By *icearmsMan
over a year ago

KIDLINGTON

Nope.. I love being able to get up on a Sunday and decide I want a bbq etc and go to a farm shop buy the neat etc and then go home and cook it.

And when I have my son we like the flexibily of when we shop. Especially in the football season when saturdays are taken up with going to follow our team.

over a year ago

I wouldnt object to an icecream man driving by though. "

No ice cream for you!

over a year ago

No ice cream for you!"

No squeezy jam sauce and sticking a flake in it

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"No. I hated Sundays as a kid. It was so boring.

I only get two days off a week and I want the options of doing whatever I want on those days. "

And Saturdays were always ruined because you knew Sunday was coming up!

By *r GLTMan
over a year ago

Richmond Upon Thames

I remember when i was much younger all the shops where closed on a Sunday. Very little traffic on the road much quiter just like in the present covid situation.

over a year ago

No ice cream for you!

No squeezy jam sauce and sticking a flake in it "

I find that sentence strangely alluring

You've got the woods - what more do you want?

By *exycouplesswingCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

"I am currently in the country where shops are closed on Sunday. I run out of tomato puree so had to improvise with cherry tomatoes sauce. Small convenience shops can open as long as it's the owner who sells rather than asking people to come to work. I dont know all ins and outs.. but I think its unfair that people have no choice.. then again those who are forced to work on Sunday dont have choice either.. but so dont emergency services etc. "

No one is ‘forced’ to work Sundays, they apply for and get a job that requires them to work Sundays, that’s quite a different thing!

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"The thing is we do have a choice. We can choose not to shop on Sunday."
. I think it’s good we have the choice as not everyone has the same working pattern.Although I like a bet I do think the betting shops could do with been closed on a Sunday

over a year ago

"The thing is we do have a choice. We can choose not to shop on Sunday."
That is right we do as well. I dont usually shop on the weekends

over a year ago

Big fat no you never know when you need anything immediately

over a year ago

people who work a sunday still get 2 days off, its not like they are being made to work 7 days a week

shift work suits many people , and having the ability to shop saturday or sunday when you are restricted to a mon-fri job also suits many people

why restrict peoples choice when nobody is forced into any of it just now? if you want tranquility head out and walk on the hills instead of the high street

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

One time in the Channel Islands you could only drink in the pubs on Sunday if you were eating there, that was a pain not sure if it's still the case

over a year ago

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

No I work all week and like to get some materials in for the weekend.

but theres always soemthing extra you need so happy with diy places opening up on sundays.

local shops im more greatful if they had set hours to buy from when needed more so on sundays.

I also like to go somewhere on sundays always did enjoy the car boots.

over a year ago

over a year ago

If they want to....

over a year ago

nope and they should scrap the sunday laws as it is now ... shops should be allowed to open when they want...

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

God no,I remember when they were shut what a step back that would be!

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We are becoming a 24/7 nation. Working hours & circumstances are changing for everyone.

We still have some shops closed either all day or the afternoon every Wednesday.

J x

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Why do they need to be closed? What is actually gained?

Don't want to go to the shop on a Sunday, don't go.

Rather spend time with family instead of going to a shop? Do exactly that.

Shops being open don't stop you doing any of these things.

Shops being closed would impact more people negatively than positively. Something that doesn't impact you in anyway, but want it to not exist which impacts others.

The positive reasons for shops to be open 7 days a week far out weight any of the negatives and none of the negatives directly impact any of us.

6 day working week for retail would very likely cost people jobs and income. Prices won't be reduced, so wages won't go up. In fact the larger chains would very likely reduce their staff even more to make up for loss of profits for being closed that additional day in some form or other.

By *rallvalCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

In Scotland there are no restrictions on shop opening on a Sunday.

I was in England recently and was surprised to find that supermarkets shut early. Despite working in England during the week for decades this was my first weekend trip to the supermarket.

It was genuinely surprising.

over a year ago

So wood this also include swinging clubs who open on Sundays

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

God yes... And I'm not just saying this as a "I remember when".. But one day a week to rest and recharge and enjoy life... Never understood the need for 7 * 24 access to everything.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out

God yes... And I'm not just saying this as a "I remember when".. But one day a week to rest and recharge and enjoy life... Never understood the need for 7 * 24 access to everything. "

But why do the shops need to be closed for you to spend a day to rest and recharge. Do you work in retail and being forced to work on a Sunday?

Where is the negative towards you that is out of your control that shops need to be closed on a Sunday?

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

No exactly the opposite, shops libraries and everywhere esle should be allowed to open 7 days a week 24 hours a day, we are in the 21st century not the 27th century.

Why should a person who has to work Monday to Friday not be able to choose which day of the weekend they wish to shop on. There will always be people happy to work on Sundays or on nights for that matter

over a year ago

"Why do they need to be closed? What is actually gained?

Don't want to go to the shop on a Sunday, don't go.

Rather spend time with family instead of going to a shop? Do exactly that.

Shops being open don't stop you doing any of these things.

Shops being closed would impact more people negatively than positively. Something that doesn't impact you in anyway, but want it to not exist which impacts others.

The positive reasons for shops to be open 7 days a week far out weight any of the negatives and none of the negatives directly impact any of us.

6 day working week for retail would very likely cost people jobs and income. Prices won't be reduced, so wages won't go up. In fact the larger chains would very likely reduce their staff even more to make up for loss of profits for being closed that additional day in some form or other. "

exactly this ... the high street is already dying and people want to stick in a couple extra nails because they want a quiet day with the family ... just take the quiet day now

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Nooooooo its my only child free day to go shopping in peace....

Chose another day

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Okay. Make it Wednesday

By *ensualMan
over a year ago

Sutton

The original reason for the shops being closed on Sunday was for a religious reason. Christians were meant to keep the Sabbath holy and be contemplating God. On that basis if shops were to shut on Sunday then everyone should be going to church and reading their bible, and not going out and about enjoying themselves. Back then being British meant being Christian so no notice was taken of those who were not Christian.

I dont think staff have a choice of their hours. I worked part time in Sainsburys in Kensington which was a flag ship store in the late 80's shortly after I joined they extended opening hours on a Saturday. The manager said anyone who did not work them would be sacked. That is how it worked then and doubt it has changed now. They just have HR department say it in legalese.

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

Yes they should be shut and go back to half day closing like it used to be

over a year ago

Yeh, work monday to friday ( i used to do 10hrs a day + 2hrs travelling) then when its the weekend make people cram into shops on the busiest day of the week because they have no other choice.

Great idea.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Yes they should be open if staff volunteer for the money however I'd make the actual owner and directors give up every Sunday to work on the shop floor.

See how keen they are if they have to do it

over a year ago

"But then everyone would be bored and come and fill up my nice quiet countryside, no keep the shops open and let me walk in the woods in peace "

This ^^^

Mr

over a year ago

In Poland they made the change a couple of years ago, no one voted for it PIS decided with the pressure of the church to ban Sunday trading. Initially 2 Sundays of the month and now none of them are open! This has not been popular with businesses or many of the younger populace!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/08/20 21:24:02]

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

No.

Shops should be able to open whatever hours they want, 7 days a week.

Religion should have no impact on the general population, it should be purely a personal matter.

However, I do think that everyone should be eligible to 2 days off a week.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

But the internet stops this ever becoming a reality...

over a year ago

Wonder who started this thread.

over a year ago

A Sunday afternoon thread whodunit!

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I was going to start a thread asking if we should be able to start or resurrect threads on a Sunday.

over a year ago

Yes.

I don’t like to shop on a Sunday.

over a year ago

"I was going to start a thread asking if we should be able to start or resurrect threads on a Sunday. "

It’s a very popular pass time for some on here regardless of the day !!!

T

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

[Removed by poster at 18/04/21 18:00:05]

Post new Message to Thread