Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Smear Tests

Jump to newest

By *rs Robinson1 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Chapel Row

Ive just had a letter saying I need to go for a smear test and it had a note in it talking about HPV testing Ive never heard of HPV dont seem to remeber getting stuff about it in the past . Any ladies on here can tell me if they have had any experience on HPV ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Isnt that the virus thingy that teenage girls are now being vaccinated against?

over a year ago

Just googled it may be worth doing that lots of imfo on there

By *acciWoman
over a year ago

leeds

Its well worth having,i lost a friend to it x

By *ayjay999Man
over a year ago

Uk

"Its well worth having,i lost a friend to it x"

Can I do a test on u

over a year ago

Chapel Row

"Just googled it may be worth doing that lots of imfo on there "

Will do just never heard of it before

over a year ago

I'm always surprised at how little people in this scene know about sexual health...

HPV or the Human Papillomavirus is a sexually transmitted disease Versions of which cause genital warts, respitory tract warts, cervical cancer, vaginal cancer and penile cancer.

The reason young girls are being vaccinated against it is because of the high risk of unprotected sex at a young age, and once you have HPV you cannot get rid of it. (it bugs me that they aren't vaccinating boys but private HPV vaccinations are available for people of any age as long as you test negative)

If you have regular check ups with your sexual health clinic you will be tested for HPV anyway... so a cervical smear will just be to test for cancer cells.. which is a good thing even if you dont have HPV present.

hope this helps.

over a year ago

Chapel Row

"I'm always surprised at how little people in this scene know about sexual health...

HPV or the Human Papillomavirus is a sexually transmitted disease Versions of which cause genital warts, respitory tract warts, cervical cancer, vaginal cancer and penile cancer.

The reason young girls are being vaccinated against it is because of the high risk of unprotected sex at a young age, and once you have HPV you cannot get rid of it. (it bugs me that they aren't vaccinating boys but private HPV vaccinations are available for people of any age as long as you test negative)

If you have regular check ups with your sexual health clinic you will be tested for HPV anyway... so a cervical smear will just be to test for cancer cells.. which is a good thing even if you dont have HPV present.

hope this helps."

Thanks I also get checked regulaly all the smears Ive had in the past have always been ok just shows how you learn something new every day Ive heard of all the other STD's but never HPV . I think the vacination in young girls is a great idea On a different subject I recently read that they are looking at vacination for young people to prevent type 1 diabetes which Ive had for almost 30 yrs now

over a year ago

Just as a by the by,,, you can get a private HPV vaccine from the pall mall clinic for £150 which i think is a small price to pay to protect yourself against the carcinogenic version of the virus and the version that causes warts.

over a year ago

I dont have to have smear tests any more as have no cervix which also means as I was told at clinic I can not get syphilis or one of the other STI's in my vagina as they need the cervix to grow on. Down side is I cant just go and have the normal tests done at clinic but have to have the full works.

over a year ago

Its just part of the cervical screening process OP and nothing to worry about. If your smear sample showed some abnormalities they would then test for HPV.

HPV is a really common virus and there are many different typers, which tend to clear up quickly. However some forms of HPV cause abnormalities in a females cervix which carries a higher risk. This is why you have been given the leaflet on HPV, if yor sample shows irregularities they will test for HPV, if not they won't.

Girls are v accinated at school because of the higher risk of cervical abnbormalities, boys are not because they don't have a cervix and other types of HPV are common and not risky

over a year ago

can you request the jab even if your cells come back fine??

over a year ago

"I dont have to have smear tests any more as have no cervix which also means as I was told at clinic I can not get syphilis or one of the other STI's in my vagina as they need the cervix to grow on. Down side is I cant just go and have the normal tests done at clinic but have to have the full works. "

I'm the same..I wasn't aware of the thing about Syphilis. I have to have urethral swabs at the clinic because they can't do cervical ones, but they still swab vaginally. I just go for the full set of everything everytime I go.

over a year ago

Yes teens gettin hpv jab to prevent cerical cancer,as my nurse explained to me the hpv test actually identifies if it is life threatening cancer or harmless one x

Post new Message to Thread