FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Has modern technology and social media enhanced your life ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Or has it diminished it, made you more sad and made you more prone to comparing yourself to others, also does the fear of missing out keep you coming back for more, even though nothing really happens ?!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nope Mr deleted it all in 2014 too time consuming and people wanting to see your dinner !

over a year ago

"Nope Mr deleted it all in 2014 too time consuming and people wanting to see your dinner ! "

You’re on social media now!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's enhanced my life. Allowed me to meet people in a way I'm comfortable with, find more people like me (and different too). It comes with downsides, but for a formerly timid introvert it's been incredible. I imagine life without would be quite lonely, more difficult to connect.

over a year ago

"Nope Mr deleted it all in 2014 too time consuming and people wanting to see your dinner !

You’re on social media now! "

Mmmm no it’s a specific website it’s not facecrack x

over a year ago

Overall I would say a positive enhancement but there are some negatives. That comes with everything though doesn’t it

over a year ago

"Nope Mr deleted it all in 2014 too time consuming and people wanting to see your dinner !

Mmmm no it’s a specific website it’s not facecrack x "

You think chatting on a forum, with people you’ve never met isn’t a form of social media, ah ok ?!

over a year ago

Not going into details mr had to employ a pa to manage social media posts etc for his work and career it was consuming he’s never felt better shooting it off

over a year ago

Social media if used responsibly is a great thing.

Like everything you get out what you put in if you only put negativity in that's what you get out.

Regarding modern technology it's been a game changer recently particularly.

Imagine being in lockdown without being able to have zoom/team ect... meetings or For those self isolating or shielding/vulnerable not being able able To order shopping online or have online medical assessments.

over a year ago

You think chatting on a forum, with people you’ve never met isn’t a form of social media, ah ok ?!"

Each to their own Mr loves the forums and the people on it it’s very very entertaining

over a year ago

You think chatting on a forum, with people you’ve never met isn’t a form of social media, ah ok ?!

Each to their own Mr loves the forums and the people on it it’s very very entertaining "

It's still social meeting have it doesn't matter how you put it.

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"

Facebook is a website/app. The definition of "social media" is quite loose, but it's mostly used to describe applications (usually web based) that allow the sharing of ideas and the building of networks.

I'd suggest that FABs fits into that definition pretty comfortably.

over a year ago

Facebook is a website/app. The definition of "social media" is quite loose, but it's mostly used to describe applications (usually web based) that allow the sharing of ideas and the building of networks.

I'd suggest that FABs fits into that definition pretty comfortably."

Ok point taken ,love fab fuck the rest lol

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

Ok point taken ,love fab fuck the rest lol

"

lol

Fair enough...

Personally as with every technological advancement in the history of humankind, there are good aspects and bad.

I think the underlying technology, the Internet, databases and web front ends that make up 90% of what most people think of as Social Media and fabulous tools.

And most of the services and applications based on them are (to a greater or lesser degree) pretty good.

I am less enamoured with things like Twitter and Facebook, or at least what they have turned into.

But there are millions of other apps out there that educate, entertain, and aid business and our personal lives in so many ways. It's got to be good.

By *ncemoreroundthesunCouple
over a year ago

A town and place not in the UK

Never had facespace and deleting Twitter about a month ago during this pandemic had infinity improved life.

over a year ago

I saw social media and immediately see Facebook twitter Instagram etc and start sweating lol

over a year ago

"It's enhanced my life. Allowed me to meet people in a way I'm comfortable with, find more people like me (and different too). It comes with downsides, but for a formerly timid introvert it's been incredible. I imagine life without would be quite lonely, more difficult to connect."

As someone who is terrible at reading signals it’s helped me, but I do tend to be all or nothing, I can’t dip in and out, so I have to delete to take a break from it.

over a year ago

Hoping a little tech may have a few advantages....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My life has been massively enhanced by modern technology and social media. I love being able to chat to friends wherever I am, seeing what all my nieces and nephews are up to and being able to effortlessly keep in touch with family all over the world for a very reasonable price.

I am in control of it rather t just an the other way round though.

over a year ago

I only use Instragram and I'm very aware of the false life some people create so it doesn't effect me negatively. I try to follow inspiring and positive accounts that show you what real life looks like and it's definitely uplifting scrolling through my feed.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"My life has been massively enhanced by modern technology and social media. I love being able to chat to friends wherever I am, seeing what all my nieces and nephews are up to and being able to effortlessly keep in touch with family all over the world for a very reasonable price.

I am in control of it rather t just an the other way round though. "

As if to prive me wrong modern technology took control and autocorrected my post

I am in control of it rather than the other way round.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"My life has been massively enhanced by modern technology and social media. I love being able to chat to friends wherever I am, seeing what all my nieces and nephews are up to and being able to effortlessly keep in touch with family all over the world for a very reasonable price.

I am in control of it rather t just an the other way round though. "

My family are literally on the other side of the world and to be able to go, hi mum, can you send me the recipe for X or love you how's your day (or get my brother sending me his bizarre ramblings just 'cause) makes it easier.

over a year ago

"

My family are literally on the other side of the world and to be able to go, hi mum, can you send me the recipe for X or love you how's your day (or get my brother sending me his bizarre ramblings just 'cause) makes it easier."

This. Having the option to see a distant relative, actually see their smiles and not just hear their voice, it makes life better for all of us who had to leave family and friends to live elsewhere. Also...citymapper and google maps are a godsend for people like me that have no sense of direction.

over a year ago

Apart from being an easy way to keep in contact with family and friends, it also helps me reach people via my business.. i get more commissions from social media platforms than anywhere else..

over a year ago

Kind of enchanced.

I deactivated my Facebook for a bit almost a week and half ago due to work drama that I can't be bothered with. Am I missing it? No. I think using it was more out of habit than anything.

However I use Instagram quite a bit which I love. I share a lot of colouring and book related stuff on mine and it helps to connect to other people in the colouring community and who also enjoy reading. I only follow people on Instagram who make me smile and that enhances my life, especially during the first weeks of lockdown.

By *uskymotoMan
over a year ago

Cumbria

A psychotherapist friend of mine is adamant that it's caused more anxiety and esteem issues than anything else in the last 40 years.

"they liked his post but didn't like mine" "they're discussing a post from a friend that i can't see".

It should be made so there's no hiding, everyone can see everyone's posts and messaging just be a 1 to 1 thing. That's my psychotherapist friends opinion, i don't care, i only use it for marketplace.

By *inchyorksMan
over a year ago

huddersfield

Bit of both, on a personal level it can be depressing, there does seem to be a lot of doom and gloom on social media, it has helped filter the idiots out of my though.

On a business level Facebook, twitter and instagram have really helped push and build a good following for my theatre company, which was going great guns until someone licked a bat!

over a year ago

No, the old way has been replaced with the new way, if we like it or not..... We are being hearded like sheep into life styles....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My family are literally on the other side of the world and to be able to go, hi mum, can you send me the recipe for X or love you how's your day (or get my brother sending me his bizarre ramblings just 'cause) makes it easier."

The advantages massively outweigh the (for me) easily controlled disadvantages. That's not to belittle the really bad stuff that goes on.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

My family are literally on the other side of the world and to be able to go, hi mum, can you send me the recipe for X or love you how's your day (or get my brother sending me his bizarre ramblings just 'cause) makes it easier.

The advantages massively outweigh the (for me) easily controlled disadvantages. That's not to belittle the really bad stuff that goes on. "

Ditto

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I'd suggest that FABs fits into that definition pretty comfortably."

There’s a difference - forums encourage debates, places like Medium encourage creative writing, the others are all micro blogging platforms, they encourage memes and spread of fake news, very different

over a year ago

Think the disadvantages are well hidden, banks have disappeared, you must own a phone and a printer, you must own a smart phone or you can't park..... If you buy, and you must BUY into it, then you have joined the heard, you can be followed and monitored, you are being followed and monitored..... You have to update your plastic device....

over a year ago

There’s a difference - forums encourage debates, places like Medium encourage creative writing, the others are all micro blogging platforms, they encourage memes and spread of fake news, very different "

another sneak disadvantage, ww3 will start on fake news!

over a year ago

I deleted Facebook a long time ago as I speak to people I want to and see their updates and hear about the things I need to. I do use Instagram but its more to share my photography/art and then a food insta... I do have a personal one but I don't feel it negatively impacts my life, if I did it would be gone.

For me its generally a great tool to connect but can see how it drags people down. I have been known to go 'off the grid' and have a detox where I'm only available via phonecall. x

over a year ago

It's enhanced my life but destroyed my attention span.

By *ngel_vs_devil33Woman
over a year ago

i’ll let you know

I only use fb as a way of keeping in touch and marketplace, and here, in a way it has enhanced my life as I find I talk to people I wouldn’t normally see/meet, but the downside is I do tend to compare myself to others,

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Yes to a certain extent, although i’m very careful what social media i go on, i tend to stay away from confrontational platforms.

over a year ago

Not at all as I ve not let it. Im a woodsman spending my whole time out amidst nature..technology does not interest me at all. I have a basic, very basic android phone with only one app on it. If I want to chat I do it face to face.

By *orbidden eastMan
over a year ago

london dodging electric scooters

It’s not bad. But I think people must understand that you should not take things too seriously and of course if you are a man on here. it’s not that easy on here

over a year ago

I only use this and I wouldn't call this social media as I never get any replies to my messages.

By *ust PeachyWoman
over a year ago

Prestonish

"Or has it diminished it, made you more sad and made you more prone to comparing yourself to others, also does the fear of missing out keep you coming back for more, even though nothing really happens ?!"

In terms of swinging - it’s only modern technology that’s made it possible for most of us - and brought it to the attention of many thousands of people.

I remember meeting a guy who’d swung pre-internet (when very young) and said swinging was done via sending letters and pictures to P.O. Boxes replying adds in the ‘personals’ - very laborious. And where would we be without technology to tell us about clubs and socials? Now covid is with us and the clubs and socials are none existent, however, I rarely use fab.

Technology has, in my opinion, completely transformed swinging - and turned into a hugely social and inclusive ‘hobby’.

Can’t really speak for other sites as I don’t use them - and I certainly don’t waste time comparing myself detrimentally to others.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Social media has changed my life in a massive way, without it we would never have met!

For us it’s a wonderful thing. These days people tend to spread their wings and travel much further away from where they were born and grew up. It makes it easy to keep in touch with family who live far away, it’s helped us to reconnect with old friends who we haven’t seen for years and on sites like this, it helps us to make new friends

By *ficouldMan
over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

I'm not a big fan of some types of social media. But I do use it as a tool, but no breakfast , lunch or Dinner pictures. I've been told by a friend I'm going to have to get onto the "Dating site" but to give so much information.

Post new Message to Thread