By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I have two, just picked the broad beans

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

We have a large veg, fruit patch in our garden. Had gooseberries, strawberries and our first new potatoes yesterday we are also growing lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and raspberries

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"I have two, just picked the broad beans "
Very Nice, what time of the year do you plant out your broad beans and any pest species how do you deal with them, I,ve got some runner beans growing and I find now the best way of getting rid of the slugs mostly small ones is to put small trays of beer out they go for the beer thou many leaves are eaten at the bottom of the plants it diverts their attention long enough for the beans to get going upwards.

By *oxyVikingCouple
over a year ago

East Anglia

No allotment, but we have a huge veg patch!! More lettuce than we can eat right now x

By *om cat 215 OP   Man
over a year ago

Derby

"I have two, just picked the broad beans "

Picked loads of broad beans today in the rain.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I have two, just picked the broad beans

Picked loads of broad beans today in the rain."

You can't beat eating your own produce, so fresh

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Yes but it’s not been worked this year. I’m shielding and hubby is working double shifts so he’s not had time to go. Fortunately the chairman of the allotment committee called us and asked if we needed help, they’ve put killer on the bad bits and covered the rest of the plot for us

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Dammit can’t call roundup by it’s common name

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Yes but it’s not been worked this year. I’m shielding and hubby is working double shifts so he’s not had time to go. Fortunately the chairman of the allotment committee called us and asked if we needed help, they’ve put killer on the bad bits and covered the rest of the plot for us"

Aah that's good of them

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes two. One is spuds of 4 types and a patch of sweet potatoes. When it's cleared it will get planted with winter veg. Leeks kale parsley cabbage xmas spuds.

The other has broad bean hardening off,sweetcorn,garlic chives, cabbage, pak choi, turnip, Swede, carrot, beetroot, broccoli, sprouts, tomatoes, radish, onions, shallots, French beans, courgette, squash. This will get planted in patches during the summer. Some winter veg to follow on.

over a year ago

"I have two, just picked the broad beans Very Nice, what time of the year do you plant out your broad beans and any pest species how do you deal with them, I,ve got some runner beans growing and I find now the best way of getting rid of the slugs mostly small ones is to put small trays of beer out they go for the beer thou many leaves are eaten at the bottom of the plants it diverts their attention long enough for the beans to get going upwards. "

Get the broad beans planted in autumn. I have a seeding and potting shed and plant them when they are ready.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"I have two, just picked the broad beans Very Nice, what time of the year do you plant out your broad beans and any pest species how do you deal with them, I,ve got some runner beans growing and I find now the best way of getting rid of the slugs mostly small ones is to put small trays of beer out they go for the beer thou many leaves are eaten at the bottom of the plants it diverts their attention long enough for the beans to get going upwards.

Get the broad beans planted in autumn. I have a seeding and potting shed and plant them when they are ready."

Thats Interesting I did,nt know you set broad beans that early on what time do you usually plant them out..

over a year ago

"I have two, just picked the broad beans Very Nice, what time of the year do you plant out your broad beans and any pest species how do you deal with them, I,ve got some runner beans growing and I find now the best way of getting rid of the slugs mostly small ones is to put small trays of beer out they go for the beer thou many leaves are eaten at the bottom of the plants it diverts their attention long enough for the beans to get going upwards.

Get the broad beans planted in autumn. I have a seeding and potting shed and plant them when they are ready. Thats Interesting I did,nt know you set broad beans that early on what time do you usually plant them out.."

Usually when signs of autumn come. But before it gets cold. They will germinate into small plants and sit there till spring. Broad beans get black fly,but autumn planted do better.

By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"I have two, just picked the broad beans Very Nice, what time of the year do you plant out your broad beans and any pest species how do you deal with them, I,ve got some runner beans growing and I find now the best way of getting rid of the slugs mostly small ones is to put small trays of beer out they go for the beer thou many leaves are eaten at the bottom of the plants it diverts their attention long enough for the beans to get going upwards. "

You can sow broad beans as early as you like to give you a head start.

Runners I grow in pots so they have a head start on the slimy veg eating buggers.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

Get the broad beans planted in autumn. I have a seeding and potting shed and plant them when they are ready. Thats Interesting I did,nt know you set broad beans that early on what time do you usually plant them out..

Usually when signs of autumn come. But before it gets cold. They will germinate into small plants and sit there till spring. Broad beans get black fly,but autumn planted do better."

Thanks for that..

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

You can sow broad beans as early as you like to give you a head start.

Runners I grow in pots so they have a head start on the slimy veg eating buggers."

Yes I do the same for the runners or kidney beans I grow in pots yes thanks for the Info.

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

stockton

Used to. But had to give it up when I relocated. Loved my time there x

over a year ago

I put in 3 sets of French beans this year. The first 2 got killed by the cold spells.

Post new Message to Thread