Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Best and worst side

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just a general question so don't attack me.

Do you think that certain situations can reveal a very different side to people that you may not have realised existed before? I don't mean someone getting upset or angry over something perfectly acceptable. I mean more in general terms, like the heat at the moment for example? I can get a bit grumpy when I'm too hot or when I'm really tired. Lockdown has made me a bit snappy because I'm miserable.

Do you see it in yourself or others? How do you react to it if you do?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I get hangry. I can be pretty snarky I know I’m doing it though so I just avoid people, until I have a banana or something. I’ll always apologise if I snap at someone, and explain I’m a being a drama queen and short tempered. It doesn’t excuse it of course.

over a year ago

Interesting question. Lockdown has made me lazy and that has made me unhappy. When I’m unhappy I take things perhaps more seriously than I should. Does that make sense?

over a year ago

"I get hangry. I can be pretty snarky I know I’m doing it though so I just avoid people, until I have a banana or something. I’ll always apologise if I snap at someone, and explain I’m a being a drama queen and short tempered. It doesn’t excuse it of course.

"

You admit it and apologise for it though so it can be forgiven. No one is perfect.

By *ab jamesMan
over a year ago

ribble valley

I don't feel angry with the lockdown etc. More anxious and a wee bit lonely.

over a year ago

"Interesting question. Lockdown has made me lazy and that has made me unhappy. When I’m unhappy I take things perhaps more seriously than I should. Does that make sense?"

Makes perfect sense. I'm very similar. Lockdown has completely messed with my head and made me very crabby. I read in to things a lot more when I'm like that and overthink everything. Thankfully you lot have kept me sane and put up with my bitchy side xx

over a year ago

"I don't feel angry with the lockdown etc. More anxious and a wee bit lonely. "

Hugs

over a year ago

Zero patience with the fam at the moment, poor people

By *ab jamesMan
over a year ago

ribble valley

"I don't feel angry with the lockdown etc. More anxious and a wee bit lonely.

Hugs "

Thx

over a year ago

"Zero patience with the fam at the moment, poor people "

I get that. I think with most of us our patience has worn thin. Being on top of eachother doesn't help.

over a year ago

Honestly this lockdown has had my emotions in a spin. I’ve gone from happy to sad to miserable to lonely. I’ve snapped at people when I came back to work and almost immediately apologised, just the anxiety of it all.

Aside from lockdown I’m pretty controlled, but I can be snappy if I have to keep repeating myself over and over.

over a year ago

I'm just short tempered by nature...lol

but I'm my defense i can apologise too and come out of it quite quickly..

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think this happens to everyone.

I know I sometimes misspeak and things go haywire from there, so I tend to extend the benefit of the doubt to others (how much depends on how well I know them). I do look for patterns though, and eventually I have enough if a shitty (to me) pattern continues.

Lockdown has been interesting, watching people. I think without normality or the regular pleasures in life, we're seeing people more raw and unfiltered. It isn't always pretty. I have compassion to a point, but it also raises red flags.

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Lockdown had been good as it’s brought out the true inner self of lots of people.

It’s been a useful filter tool.

over a year ago

I'm pretty easy going and even tempered, I can get cranky when tired but I know when it's happening and I can stand back

over a year ago

"Honestly this lockdown has had my emotions in a spin. I’ve gone from happy to sad to miserable to lonely. I’ve snapped at people when I came back to work and almost immediately apologised, just the anxiety of it all.

Aside from lockdown I’m pretty controlled, but I can be snappy if I have to keep repeating myself over and over. "

I'm not good if I have to repeat myself constantly either

over a year ago

I often struggle to read between the lines with things and also I don't understand sarcasm very easily unless its very obvious.

I often misunderstand things and that can course conflict.

over a year ago

"I'm just short tempered by nature...lol

but I'm my defense i can apologise too and come out of it quite quickly.. "

Some people are, doesn't make you a bad person. You recognise it when it happens, that's the main thing. I think someone who can admit when they are wrong is the most important thing.

over a year ago

When I’m tired, like really running on empty tired, I can be narky.

I deal with stressful or upsetting things with dark humour. Sometimes people struggle to ‘get’ that.

I find it interesting to see how people deal with stressful or challenging situations. I have seen people that I least expected, remain calm in a stressful and challenging environment, and equally I have seen sides to people that I don’t like at all, who I would never have thought would react that way.

over a year ago

"I think this happens to everyone.

I know I sometimes misspeak and things go haywire from there, so I tend to extend the benefit of the doubt to others (how much depends on how well I know them). I do look for patterns though, and eventually I have enough if a shitty (to me) pattern continues.

Lockdown has been interesting, watching people. I think without normality or the regular pleasures in life, we're seeing people more raw and unfiltered. It isn't always pretty. I have compassion to a point, but it also raises red flags."

We all misspeak at times, we're human.

Agree with how lockdown is revealing some people's true colours though.

over a year ago

"Lockdown had been good as it’s brought out the true inner self of lots of people.

It’s been a useful filter tool."

It has indeed.

over a year ago

I will try to reply to everyone, apologies if I miss people out

over a year ago

"Lockdown had been good as it’s brought out the true inner self of lots of people.

It’s been a useful filter tool.

It has indeed."

I think we have to be careful about judging people for acting differently during the covert crisis because there was stress and pressure on everyone.

It was totally unprecedented and everyone was just trying to to there best.

over a year ago

"I get hangry. I can be pretty snarky I know I’m doing it though so I just avoid people, until I have a banana or something. I’ll always apologise if I snap at someone, and explain I’m a being a drama queen and short tempered. It doesn’t excuse it of course.

You admit it and apologise for it though so it can be forgiven. No one is perfect. "

No, you’re absolutely right, we’re not. However, I think I hold myself to a much higher standard than I do others. I am more forgiving when others snap at me, than I am when I snap at others. If someone is having a bad day and take it out on me, I can easily understand that and forgive them. I think it’s easier for me to be harder on myself because I can control my own actions, so it stings a bit more when I let myself down by behaving badly. I can’t control others actions, only try to understand them.

By *orraine999Woman
over a year ago

Somewhere

Not angry just extremely frustrated...Having to cancel holiday plans and missing friends I’ve not seen in months has been difficult. I love to travel and not being allowed to make plans/reservations is just compounding my frustration.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

You admit it and apologise for it though so it can be forgiven. No one is perfect.

No, you’re absolutely right, we’re not. However, I think I hold myself to a much higher standard than I do others. I am more forgiving when others snap at me, than I am when I snap at others. If someone is having a bad day and take it out on me, I can easily understand that and forgive them. I think it’s easier for me to be harder on myself because I can control my own actions, so it stings a bit more when I let myself down by behaving badly. I can’t control others actions, only try to understand them. "

Same.

over a year ago

No, you’re absolutely right, we’re not. However, I think I hold myself to a much higher standard than I do others. I am more forgiving when others snap at me, than I am when I snap at others. If someone is having a bad day and take it out on me, I can easily understand that and forgive them. I think it’s easier for me to be harder on myself because I can control my own actions, so it stings a bit more when I let myself down by behaving badly. I can’t control others actions, only try to understand them. "

You’re not alone in this one. It’s something I’m attempting to improve because I would say I’m too hard on myself. I expect almost perfection and that in itself isn’t healthy yet I can’t stop myself for perusing that

over a year ago

"I often struggle to read between the lines with things and also I don't understand sarcasm very easily unless its very obvious.

I often misunderstand things and that can course conflict.

"

Then again though you recognise that, there's nothing wrong with that. I think it can be easy to misunderstand things when they are written on a screen instead of having the person on front of you. There's always certain conversations I much prefer to have face to face for that reason

By *irth.Minge.FireMan
over a year ago

Seen in far off places

[Removed by poster at 26/06/20 16:33:11]

By *orraine999Woman
over a year ago

Somewhere

"I'm just short tempered by nature...lol

but I'm my defense i can apologise too and come out of it quite quickly..

Some people are, doesn't make you a bad person. You recognise it when it happens, that's the main thing. I think someone who can admit when they are wrong is the most important thing. "

I agree.

over a year ago

"Not angry just extremely frustrated...Having to cancel holiday plans and missing friends I’ve not seen in months has been difficult. I love to travel and not being allowed to make plans/reservations is just compounding my frustration. "

over a year ago

This

over a year ago

If ppl never lost it, wouldn't the world be super dull and sterile? I think it's nice when ppl show emotion and even when they're occasionally over the top, as long as they recognise and apologise and make up for it....

over a year ago

No, you’re absolutely right, we’re not. However, I think I hold myself to a much higher standard than I do others. I am more forgiving when others snap at me, than I am when I snap at others. If someone is having a bad day and take it out on me, I can easily understand that and forgive them. I think it’s easier for me to be harder on myself because I can control my own actions, so it stings a bit more when I let myself down by behaving badly. I can’t control others actions, only try to understand them.

You’re not alone in this one. It’s something I’m attempting to improve because I would say I’m too hard on myself. I expect almost perfection and that in itself isn’t healthy yet I can’t stop myself for perusing that"

Agreed it isn't healthy

I had this conversation with a friend recently and got told off for being too hard on myself. We can be our own worst enemies sometimes and our biggest critics.

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

I'm finding it very easy to be judgemental in lockdown, I find it easy anyway but my god I'm so much worse now.

over a year ago

I think our shadow self becomes more apparent under stress, when we’re anxious or feeling tired, disorientated and uncertain. It is apparent in our first reactions that sometimes they become a more regular pattern if that period of stress is prolonged. I’ve actually had a lot of time to reflect since the onset Of the pandemic and feel more relaxed as a a result so have been able to work on myself and address a few things that became apparent.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Well I've just thrown a frustrated wobbly and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I'm trying to sort my shit hole of a house out. The plaster in the living room is an absolute pile of shit, needs redoing but I can't afford it nor do I think I'm capable of doing it myself. Anywhoooooooooo, I just attempted putting a baton up to attach a curtain pole to coz that's what it said to do. No nails and tacks. The walls are that far out depth wise one end wasnt even touching the fucking wall, I moved the baton hoping it would be better higher up.... plaster fucking falling off. I tried my hardest to tack the fucking thing up and it just wasnt happening. I ended up putting the hammer into the wall a few times out of frustrated rage with tears rolling. My bestie seems to think it's undealt with emotion over my recent break up. She's probably spot on to be fair.

I've filled the holes and taken a breath.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

We're all human, which means we have a mixture of human emotions. Sometimes we're happy and others sad or frustrated. We shouldn't feel as though we have to suppress our feelings. Although obviously you need to sort it out if you've overreacted to something

over a year ago

I’m not sure what you mean by inner self. I think what we see is more of individuals shadow self that is more regulated by their persona normally. How they deal with their shadow self is interesting though.

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

People are a complex blend of qualities and attributes, and different situations will bring out certain traits in people. It can sometimes take a while to see a person’s true colours, but sooner or later they shine through, for better or worse. But although our moods will ebb and flow, a person always has a common thread running through from top to bottom. Deceitful, untrustworthy, bitchy people will sooner or later be found out, no matter how nice they pretend to be. Arseholes are usually easy to spot. Kindness, decency and compassion will always make itself known eventually. Lockdown has perhaps made some people reveal their true nature sooner, but it was always going to come out in the end.

over a year ago

"Well I've just thrown a frustrated wobbly and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I'm trying to sort my shit hole of a house out. The plaster in the living room is an absolute pile of shit, needs redoing but I can't afford it nor do I think I'm capable of doing it myself. Anywhoooooooooo, I just attempted putting a baton up to attach a curtain pole to coz that's what it said to do. No nails and tacks. The walls are that far out depth wise one end wasnt even touching the fucking wall, I moved the baton hoping it would be better higher up.... plaster fucking falling off. I tried my hardest to tack the fucking thing up and it just wasnt happening. I ended up putting the hammer into the wall a few times out of frustrated rage with tears rolling. My bestie seems to think it's undealt with emotion over my recent break up. She's probably spot on to be fair.

"

hugs x

over a year ago

"Well I've just thrown a frustrated wobbly and I'm not afraid to admit it.

"

Think I would of got shitty about that too. Good on you for having a go at it yourself though.

I would send you hugs but it's too bloody hot haha!

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

It’s weird but Whiskey or Brandy has a real nasty effect on me. My ex wife would go to bed early in our relationship, it was only later she told me how nasty I became whilst drinking was the reason.

I hasten to add I wouldn’t be violent but in a conversation I could snap back and be particularly unpleasant.

I now only drink the stuff in moderation and not around other people, it’s not fair on them to have to deal with my black and nasty thoughts

over a year ago

"If ppl never lost it, wouldn't the world be super dull and sterile? I think it's nice when ppl show emotion and even when they're occasionally over the top, as long as they recognise and apologise and make up for it.... "

Say you’re sorry

over a year ago

"I think our shadow self becomes more apparent under stress, when we’re anxious or feeling tired, disorientated and uncertain. It is apparent in our first reactions that sometimes they become a more regular pattern if that period of stress is prolonged. I’ve actually had a lot of time to reflect since the onset Of the pandemic and feel more relaxed as a a result so have been able to work on myself and address a few things that became apparent."

This is very interesting and awesome that you've been able to use this time to reflect. I've found I've spent most of it trying to hide or run away from my feelings and emotions which easy with so much free time on my hands.

over a year ago

"People are a complex blend of qualities and attributes, and different situations will bring out certain traits in people. It can sometimes take a while to see a person’s true colours, but sooner or later they shine through, for better or worse. But although our moods will ebb and flow, a person always has a common thread running through from top to bottom. Deceitful, untrustworthy, bitchy people will sooner or later be found out, no matter how nice they pretend to be. Arseholes are usually easy to spot. Kindness, decency and compassion will always make itself known eventually. Lockdown has perhaps made some people reveal their true nature sooner, but it was always going to come out in the end. "

This is interesting too. I'd love to think that people's true colours eventually show themselves and I agree to an extent but sometimes it can take a bloody long time and by then the damage is already done. This has been the case for my personal experiences anyway.

over a year ago

"If ppl never lost it, wouldn't the world be super dull and sterile? I think it's nice when ppl show emotion and even when they're occasionally over the top, as long as they recognise and apologise and make up for it....

Say you’re sorry "

I thought we'd made up now? Aren't we back to faf....?

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

I think that certain situations can reveal different sides to people, yes. Alcohol, stress, heat can all lead to seeing someone in a less than glowing way. I always try and remember that I'm seeing someone from my personal bias as well so the truth of how person is may well be somewhat different. If I'm hangry or period raging I try and limit interaction with others.

In terms of lockdown, aside from the odd couple of days of wobbles I've actually been incredibly happy and I think in turn that's made me more forgiving (like they need, seek or want my forgiveness ) of others. People are dealing with a lot and in the grand scheme of things, most behaviour really doesn't affect or impact me so why give it too much headspace?

I've definitely found the fora interesting over these past few weeks - the threads that have arisen, how people are interacting with others, the kindness and less kind behaviour.

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

"People are a complex blend of qualities and attributes, and different situations will bring out certain traits in people. It can sometimes take a while to see a person’s true colours, but sooner or later they shine through, for better or worse. But although our moods will ebb and flow, a person always has a common thread running through from top to bottom. Deceitful, untrustworthy, bitchy people will sooner or later be found out, no matter how nice they pretend to be. Arseholes are usually easy to spot. Kindness, decency and compassion will always make itself known eventually. Lockdown has perhaps made some people reveal their true nature sooner, but it was always going to come out in the end.

This is interesting too. I'd love to think that people's true colours eventually show themselves and I agree to an extent but sometimes it can take a bloody long time and by then the damage is already done. This has been the case for my personal experiences anyway. "

This is true. In my case it took almost a decade and the damage was horrific. But I learned from that experience and I watch people a lot more closely these days xx

over a year ago

"If ppl never lost it, wouldn't the world be super dull and sterile? I think it's nice when ppl show emotion and even when they're occasionally over the top, as long as they recognise and apologise and make up for it....

Say you’re sorry

I thought we'd made up now? Aren't we back to faf....? "

over a year ago

I'm seriously tetchy when I'm tired.

over a year ago

"I think our shadow self becomes more apparent under stress, when we’re anxious or feeling tired, disorientated and uncertain. It is apparent in our first reactions that sometimes they become a more regular pattern if that period of stress is prolonged. I’ve actually had a lot of time to reflect since the onset Of the pandemic and feel more relaxed as a a result so have been able to work on myself and address a few things that became apparent.

This is very interesting and awesome that you've been able to use this time to reflect. I've found I've spent most of it trying to hide or run away from my feelings and emotions which easy with so much free time on my hands. "

I’m fortunate that I have had very good teachers in how to deal with emotions in a healthy way so I’ve had plenty of practice. I’m still learning, but compared to times in the past, working through how I’ve felt during the pandemic has been quite gentle. I have had much more capacity to be supportive to others rather than focused on what I need. I think that can be classed as progress

By *evil-AngelWoman
over a year ago

Nearby

"Just a general question so don't attack me.

Do you think that certain situations can reveal a very different side to people that you may not have realised existed before? I don't mean someone getting upset or angry over something perfectly acceptable. I mean more in general terms, like the heat at the moment for example? I can get a bit grumpy when I'm too hot or when I'm really tired. Lockdown has made me a bit snappy because I'm miserable.

Do you see it in yourself or others? How do you react to it if you do? "

I have a very critical person in my life but under normal circumstances I would be able to brush off what was said to me. During lockdown, I have more time to dwell on it so I've been carrying what's been said to me more than I usually would. This has made me a bit lower than usual and affected my ability to deal with other issues.

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

"I think that certain situations can reveal different sides to people, yes. Alcohol, stress, heat can all lead to seeing someone in a less than glowing way. I always try and remember that I'm seeing someone from my personal bias as well so the truth of how person is may well be somewhat different. If I'm hangry or period raging I try and limit interaction with others.

In terms of lockdown, aside from the odd couple of days of wobbles I've actually been incredibly happy and I think in turn that's made me more forgiving (like they need, seek or want my forgiveness ) of others. People are dealing with a lot and in the grand scheme of things, most behaviour really doesn't affect or impact me so why give it too much headspace?

I've definitely found the fora interesting over these past few weeks - the threads that have arisen, how people are interacting with others, the kindness and less kind behaviour."

There’s a lot of wisdom in this. Not giving other people too much headspace is something I still struggle with. But I’m getting better at it.

My experience of lockdown I think is different from most people. It’s been very dramatic but for wonderful reasons

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

I tend to read too much into things and often blame myself for things that are not my fault.

I sometimes think things are worse than they are.

If I'm in a low mood this is heightened.

Most of the time though I'm measured and level headed.

Depends on the situation and who is involved too

Jo x

over a year ago

"I think that certain situations can reveal different sides to people, yes. Alcohol, stress, heat can all lead to seeing someone in a less than glowing way. I always try and remember that I'm seeing someone from my personal bias as well so the truth of how person is may well be somewhat different. If I'm hangry or period raging I try and limit interaction with others.

I've definitely found the fora interesting over these past few weeks - the threads that have arisen, how people are interacting with others, the kindness and less kind behaviour."

You do have an equanimity about you over the past few weeks in your posting, that is rather beautiful to see Meli

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

It takes a lot to bring out the worst in me, but i tend to get very sarcastic.

over a year ago

"I tend to read too much into things and often blame myself for things that are not my fault.

I sometimes think things are worse than they are.

If I'm in a low mood this is heightened.

Most of the time though I'm measured and level headed.

Depends on the situation and who is involved too

Jo x "

I don’t know if this is the case for you Jo, but I tend to blame myself when things go wrong that actually aren’t my responsibility, when I don’t want a relationship to be damaged by conflict. Ironically, I have noticed I end up damaging it if I hold onto those greys stamps of feeing it’s unjust, because I end up feeling resentful.

As a result, I’m trying to adopt a more self-disclosing approach where I own my feelings and express them as constructively as possible and it seems to be working.

Of course this may just be me projecting my stuff into your post, so may be well off the mark.

over a year ago

"Just a general question so don't attack me.

Do you see it in yourself or others? How do you react to it if you do?

I have a very critical person in my life but under normal circumstances I would be able to brush off what was said to me. During lockdown, I have more time to dwell on it so I've been carrying what's been said to me more than I usually would. This has made me a bit lower than usual and affected my ability to deal with other issues. "

I’m sory to hear that lovely. That must be really hard. Here if you want to talk xx

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

" You do have an equanimity about you over the past few weeks in your posting, that is rather beautiful to see Meli "

Thank you, that means a lot coming from you x

By *uge G RectionMan
over a year ago

where I like to be... down south

"

You need a snickers!

By *olinOfBathMan
over a year ago

Corsham

Working throughout lockdown has completely ruined my carefully-constructed miserable git image. A growing number of villagers now regard me as cheerful, helpful and friendly. It's going to take a lot of gratuitous surly indifference to repair the damage. Meanwhile, they increasingly address me as, "Col" - which I've always hated

over a year ago

"Working throughout lockdown has completely ruined my carefully-constructed miserable git image. A growing number of villagers now regard me as cheerful, helpful and friendly. It's going to take a lot of gratuitous surly indifference to repair the damage. Meanwhile, they increasingly address me as, "Col" - which I've always hated

"

Post new Message to Thread