FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Weight watchers: There are no naughty foods.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am not sure if you follow coach gregg on youtube? He is very entertaining and funny and in this rant he had, here is the video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhvFKVqZDTc

It was about weight watchers and how they are creating eating disorders with the point system by saying certain foods are bad and naughty. I agree with him that there are no bad or naughty food in that way, what are your view on it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

Check out Team RH...I love their 'no bullshit' approach to WW and SW!

over a year ago

"Check out Team RH...I love their 'no bullshit' approach to WW and SW!"
Yes I will check those out too

over a year ago

By *eatrice BadinageWoman
over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Yep there is no bad or naughty food, just gluttony.

Portion size is key

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I agree. Food isn’t bad, some choices can be bad.

Food isn’t a ‘treat’ either. You’re not a dog, so having a biscuit isn’t a treat. If you want a biscuit have a biscuit

over a year ago

I love food

over a year ago

"I agree. Food isn’t bad, some choices can be bad.

Food isn’t a ‘treat’ either. You’re not a dog, so having a biscuit isn’t a treat. If you want a biscuit have a biscuit"

I'd have to disagree with this to a certain extent. One because I've taught my kids that sweets, biscuit's, chocolate etc is a treat. If they are hungry they have proper food, if they want a treat, that's different but it is a treat. I wouldn't want them thinking it's okay to eat this stuff when they are hungry.

Also I've spent over half my life battling an eating disorder. Yes, it means I can have a very warped view on food but when I'm trying to be good and eat properly I still don't want my brain to be wired to think it's okay to go for a treat when I need to eat real food first.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

There are many reasons people have eating disorders.

A lot of people have a complex relationship with food, not helped by western society's unhealthy view of "good" and "bad" foods.

WW and SW are part of that but not the cause of it.

You could ask do we give chocolates or cake as a birthday treat but not an apple?

Why do we look forward to a glass of wine at the end of a long day but not a carrot?

In our culture it's very much learned behaviour as to what is seen as a treat or a reward and what is not.

over a year ago

"Yep there is no bad or naughty food, just gluttony.

Portion size is key "

You are right there, it is all about the portion size and the daily calories

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I really dislike this culture that's grown up around food labelling it naughty and inspiring guilt in people when they eat a cake. If I had a quid for every time someone says "ooo I've been naughty and eaten a cake" I could open a cake shop.

over a year ago

Food isn’t a ‘treat’ either. You’re not a dog, so having a biscuit isn’t a treat. If you want a biscuit have a biscuit"

Yes and it is about food choices as well, they can a biscuit but a controlled amount of them

over a year ago

Agree with this.

By *iss.RedWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

I love Team RH too

over a year ago

Food isn’t a ‘treat’ either. You’re not a dog, so having a biscuit isn’t a treat. If you want a biscuit have a biscuit

I'd have to disagree with this to a certain extent. One because I've taught my kids that sweets, biscuit's, chocolate etc is a treat. If they are hungry they have proper food, if they want a treat, that's different but it is a treat. I wouldn't want them thinking it's okay to eat this stuff when they are hungry.

Also I've spent over half my life battling an eating disorder. Yes, it means I can have a very warped view on food but when I'm trying to be good and eat properly I still don't want my brain to be wired to think it's okay to go for a treat when I need to eat real food first. "

Agreed.

To me, chocolate, biscuits, sweets, these are treats.

I allow myself a dessert on a Sunday evening, beyond that, unless I'm doing something or with friends/family, I feel like I don't need treat foods.

I have a stash of shortbreads incase I want a biscuit with tea or coffee after work,but rarely dip into them.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My mum denies herself food that she likes because she thinks it somehow makes her a better person. To me that is one fucked up way of looking at food. At one time she was eating very little other than fish and potatoes. The list of food she would eat was easier to quote than the list she wouldn't. Also she's convinced that she can cure herself of the many things that are wrong with her by severely limiting her diet.

Interestingly when she suffered quite a bad head injury she forgot that certain food made her ill.

A lot of her problem is down to this idea that food is bad and only good people have their diet under control.

over a year ago

"My mum denies herself food that she likes because she thinks it somehow makes her a better person. To me that is one fucked up way of looking at food. At one time she was eating very little other than fish and potatoes. The list of food she would eat was easier to quote than the list she wouldn't. Also she's convinced that she can cure herself of the many things that are wrong with her by severely limiting her diet.

Interestingly when she suffered quite a bad head injury she forgot that certain food made her ill.

A lot of her problem is down to this idea that food is bad and only good people have their diet under control.

"

Yeah that's not good, theres a difference between goal driven discipline and punishment. I don't deprive myself cause when I did do that I caved bad

over a year ago

"My mum denies herself food that she likes because she thinks it somehow makes her a better person. To me that is one fucked up way of looking at food. At one time she was eating very little other than fish and potatoes. The list of food she would eat was easier to quote than the list she wouldn't. Also she's convinced that she can cure herself of the many things that are wrong with her by severely limiting her diet.

"

You may see it as fucked up but it's actually quite common for people to be like that. I have a very bad relationship with food. I don't know your mum's reasoning behind hers but generally to the person doing it, it's very normal.

I spent about 3 months living on not much more than apples and coffee. I'll admit that was bad and I know that now but at the time it was fine to me. Having others tell me it was wrong actually didn't help, it just made me hide everything more.

over a year ago

"I really dislike this culture that's grown up around food labelling it naughty and inspiring guilt in people when they eat a cake. If I had a quid for every time someone says "ooo I've been naughty and eaten a cake" I could open a cake shop. "

Also the idea of "clean eating".. is the other food dirty then?

Just eat healthily. Stop with the weird labels.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You may see it as fucked up but it's actually quite common for people to be like that. I have a very bad relationship with food. I don't know your mum's reasoning behind hers but generally to the person doing it, it's very normal.

I spent about 3 months living on not much more than apples and coffee. I'll admit that was bad and I know that now but at the time it was fine to me. Having others tell me it was wrong actually didn't help, it just made me hide everything more. "

I've only ever asked her to consider eating more when it's clear that she's missing certain nutrients or she's becoming very thin. She's my mum, I respect her and I'd never tell her she's got a fucked up attitude to food

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I really dislike this culture that's grown up around food labelling it naughty and inspiring guilt in people when they eat a cake. If I had a quid for every time someone says "ooo I've been naughty and eaten a cake" I could open a cake shop.

Just eat healthily. Stop with the weird labels. "

It is if you eat it off the toned torso of a very fit young man dressed in salad oil

over a year ago

Hmm. Having worked for them for over a year I know their plan and mission statement inside out. I wouldn't agree that they are trying to label foods as good and bad. The whole reason for their points based system is actually so that you can carry on eating treats and junk food but in moderation. By having a certain amount of points it programs you to make better choices over time as you can get a lot more points value from eating healthier foods. But they even have an optional weekly budget that you can set aside for treats, eating out, occasions etc and you can even earn points by exercising so that you can eat more of the chocolate, cake crisps etc. So no, I wouldn't say they are labelling foods but rather trying to promote a more balanced diet.

over a year ago

That being said, no I don't agree that there are naughty foods. It gets on my nerves when I hear people say things like "ooh I'm being so bad, I'll have to work twice as hard in the gym now". I'm sorry, did you think I was judging you? I literally didn't even notice you were eating a giant bowl of pasta til you just brought it up.

If you want the pasta just eat the fucking pasta. People need to stop trying to justify their entire existence.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it's hard. I think there's a lot of weird psychological shit around food that we accept as normal, and it can make it hard for us to make peace with our diets and our bodies. I don't think food has morality attached (outside choices around animal welfare/ farming practices/ food miles etc - I mean certain types of food being good or evil).

I think it's good to discuss and disentangle these, but might be challenging for those with sensitivities around food or eating disorders.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think it's hard. I think there's a lot of weird psychological shit around food that we accept as normal, and it can make it hard for us to make peace with our diets and our bodies. I don't think food has morality attached (outside choices around animal welfare/ farming practices/ food miles etc - I mean certain types of food being good or evil).

I think it's good to discuss and disentangle these, but might be challenging for those with sensitivities around food or eating disorders."

I agree. I think given the issues my mum has always had with food she did well to not pass them on to me or my siblings. Discussion is the way forward I think

over a year ago

Yep

over a year ago

"That being said, no I don't agree that there are naughty foods. It gets on my nerves when I hear people say things like "ooh I'm being so bad, I'll have to work twice as hard in the gym now". I'm sorry, did you think I was judging you? I literally didn't even notice you were eating a giant bowl of pasta til you just brought it up.

If you want the pasta just eat the fucking pasta. People need to stop trying to justify their entire existence. "

over a year ago

I’ll eat what I like when I like, they’re my Arteries.

over a year ago

"I love food "
That is good

over a year ago

"I really dislike this culture that's grown up around food labelling it naughty and inspiring guilt in people when they eat a cake. If I had a quid for every time someone says "ooo I've been naughty and eaten a cake" I could open a cake shop.

Just eat healthily. Stop with the weird labels.

It is if you eat it off the toned torso of a very fit young man dressed in salad oil "

I approve of this 'dirty' idea.

over a year ago

"I really dislike this culture that's grown up around food labelling it naughty and inspiring guilt in people when they eat a cake. If I had a quid for every time someone says "ooo I've been naughty and eaten a cake" I could open a cake shop. "
That is right and same here, with the point system say for example a doughnut is 10 points and a healthier food have a lower lower number, it creates a unhealthy relationship with food,

that is why flexible dieting is a better approach as you could enjoy all the food groups

over a year ago

"I really dislike this culture that's grown up around food labelling it naughty and inspiring guilt in people when they eat a cake. If I had a quid for every time someone says "ooo I've been naughty and eaten a cake" I could open a cake shop. That is right and same here, with the point system say for example a doughnut is 10 points and a healthier food have a lower lower number, it creates a unhealthy relationship with food,

that is why flexible dieting is a better approach as you could enjoy all the food groups "

But the reason why the donut is 10 points is because it has less nutritional value. It's not trying to make you stop eating the donut altogether but rather make the appropriate choice. Say you only had 10 points left for the day but were still really hungry. Would you be better off using those points on one donut that will keep you full for 10 minutes or an entire meal full of vegetables and protein that will keep you full all night? It's still leaving the choice entirely up to you.

over a year ago

"I really dislike this culture that's grown up around food labelling it naughty and inspiring guilt in people when they eat a cake. If I had a quid for every time someone says "ooo I've been naughty and eaten a cake" I could open a cake shop. That is right and same here, with the point system say for example a doughnut is 10 points and a healthier food have a lower lower number, it creates a unhealthy relationship with food,

that is why flexible dieting is a better approach as you could enjoy all the food groups

But the reason why the donut is 10 points is because it has less nutritional value. It's not trying to make you stop eating the donut altogether but rather make the appropriate choice. Say you only had 10 points left for the day but were still really hungry. Would you be better off using those points on one donut that will keep you full for 10 minutes or an entire meal full of vegetables and protein that will keep you full all night? It's still leaving the choice entirely up to you. "

That is right it does leave it up to you too, lets say you have 200 points for the day, so by having 3 doughnuts doesnt leave you much more to have than that which is not an ideal scenario as you want to reach your other macronutrients goals like the protein carbs and the fats too.

over a year ago

But the reason why the donut is 10 points is because it has less nutritional value. It's not trying to make you stop eating the donut altogether but rather make the appropriate choice. Say you only had 10 points left for the day but were still really hungry. Would you be better off using those points on one donut that will keep you full for 10 minutes or an entire meal full of vegetables and protein that will keep you full all night? It's still leaving the choice entirely up to you. That is right it does leave it up to you too, lets say you have 200 points for the day, so by having 3 doughnuts doesnt leave you much more to have than that which is not an ideal scenario as you want to reach your other macronutrients goals like the protein carbs and the fats too."

Exactly. This is why your points allowance goes down gradually as you lose weight. At first you will be able to get away with eating lots of donuts and still manage to lose weight but as you slim down and require less calories it would become wiser to start using those points on more balanced options instead so that you can still eat enough to feel satisfied. In that way you adjust your body and mind to a new way of eating slowly instead of just suddenly trying to cut the donuts out altogether.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Just eat healthily. Stop with the weird labels. "

Yes just eat healthy with no other labels attached to it like the weight watchers have done

over a year ago

Interesting points everyone and to sum it up there is no naughty food

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I eat whatever i want but never over indulge.

over a year ago

"I eat whatever i want but never over indulge. "

Post new Message to Thread