Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Holiday or Not?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Who is unsure whether to book a holiday or not?

I have seen lots of great deals for September/ October time. But unsure if I book anything if we would get the money back if we were to go into another lockdown

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Check what insurance you can get for your holiday and I'd it covers covid before you book

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We aren't sure either.

We were booked to go away at the beginning of June so we have vouchers half considering rebooking for September but just not sure yet.

There are pros as well of cons.

It will probably be quieter and people will still be on there guard.

We are just waiting to see what happens during July both here and in Spain.

over a year ago

"Who is unsure whether to book a holiday or not?

I have seen lots of great deals for September/ October time. But unsure if I book anything if we would get the money back if we were to go into another lockdown "

If we go into lock down you would have claim on the insurance but if the flight is cancelled and the hotel closed you will get your money back.

By *ewcouplemidsCouple
over a year ago

walsall

We were booked to go to Turkey end of Aug but we decided to leave it this year

Didn't want to get there find restrictions in place or worse still catch it over there

Jet 2 was great they just moved it to next year same dates hotel

Etc cost 20 quid more

Because that ones totally paid for Inc spending we have booked a second for next July Happy days

over a year ago

Nah, not this year. Had one booked but cancelled it before I had to pay the balance.

Ever been on a plane and not got off it feeling like crap? All it takes it one person. I’d rather wait until next year than take the risk with myself or the people I care about

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Problem is deciding .... will you take COVID-19 with you? ...... or will you bring it back with you?

Aeroplane recycling aircon... Some one almost sat on your lap - for hours ..... breathing all those germs ..... touching all those surfaces

Nope I think I’m staying home until a vaccination is available

By *irth.Minge.FireMan
over a year ago

Seen in far off places

I shall wait til next year.

The gardens at GMF Towers will suffice for the remaining hot days of 2020...

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I still have Majorca booked for Sept and recently booked Prague for January. Life is hectic and i need my holidays.x

over a year ago

"Problem is deciding .... will you take COVID-19 with you? ...... or will you bring it back with you?

Aeroplane recycling aircon... Some one almost sat on your lap - for hours ..... breathing all those germs ..... touching all those surfaces

Nope I think I’m staying home until a vaccination is available "

Apparently non-smoking on aircraft has made the recycled air worse because when smoking was allowed the filtering was significantly better!

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Problem is deciding .... will you take COVID-19 with you? ...... or will you bring it back with you?

Apparently non-smoking on aircraft has made the recycled air worse because when smoking was allowed the filtering was significantly better!"

Probably safer smoking!

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I think you’ll find insurance companies don’t cover you for COVID-19 now. So it’s a risk you take booking something new now for this year.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

We are just taking a couple of weeks off over summer. Will book something last minute, most likely in the UK.

Will wait until next year before going abroad I think.

over a year ago

Absolutely no way will I be going on holiday during this pandemic. Some people don't seem to remember how dangerous Covid is and that it hasn't gone away. And thanks to all the fuck wits crammed on to beaches not socially distancing, people raving and mass gatherings all over the country recently, the virus will probably spread more.

I'll be staying local and looking after myself and my health!

over a year ago

"I think you’ll find insurance companies don’t cover you for COVID-19 now. So it’s a risk you take booking something new now for this year. "

I had thought about insurance before but must admit recently it didn’t enter my mind all I was thinking was all the lovely places to choose from to go too... but yes that’s going to be an issue just looked at most saying that if you bookEd a holiday after March your not covered for COVID but are if you booked before that date

over a year ago

Apparently non-smoking on aircraft has made the recycled air worse because when smoking was allowed the filtering was significantly better!

Probably safer smoking! "

True!

over a year ago

"We were booked to go to Turkey end of Aug but we decided to leave it this year

Didn't want to get there find restrictions in place or worse still catch it over there

Jet 2 was great they just moved it to next year same dates hotel

Etc cost 20 quid more

Because that ones totally paid for Inc spending we have booked a second for next July Happy days"

That’s good that they only charged such a small fee for you to move your holiday. I’m thinking I might wait to see how things are later in the year when people have been away and get to hear how it’s gone etc. Might book something in September but the worry now is the travel insurance that had completely slipped my mind. I do want to be safe and think it’s best not to go but the idea of a lovely break away is something I keep thinking about

over a year ago

We are debating whether to book maybe a European trip next month, thinking maybe the south of France.

And also contemplating a trip to see our friends in Texas followed by a stay at Desire in Mexico in late August. For this one there’s great availability on mileage reward flights, which we can cancel at any time.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Tricky isn't it, hoping to go see my sister in NZ but not booking yet

By *iss.RedWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

Yeah I've been looking at flights today for August. It's tempting as they're very cheap

over a year ago

Not abroad too risky as nothing is certain

over a year ago

"Yeah I've been looking at flights today for August. It's tempting as they're very cheap"

Cheap for a darn good reason

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I've booked a couple of weekends away in the UK. Free cancellation hotels, so no loss if they don't go ahead.

I probably won't leave the UK until next year.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm going somewhere but have nothing booked, though will escape the madness of the UK before September. I'm staying flexible but not flexible enough not to go.

over a year ago

So they have now stopped the quarantine for some countries so that will make it easier going back to work think I’m going to wait till August to book a last min holiday just hope they haven’t put prices up by then.

Did hear things like buffet breakfasts won’t be happening at hotels abroad meals will be brought to your rooms which will feel a bit odd I do love a buffet breakfast.

over a year ago

I think we are gonna book the euro tunnel and drive to Paris for a few days. See how the land lies

over a year ago

We’ve written this year off regarding going away aboard , maybe head to Scotland & look for a little log cabin as an escape. We think going aboard is going to be to much hassle & general freedom restricted

over a year ago

"We’ve written this year off regarding going away aboard , maybe head to Scotland & look for a little log cabin as an escape. We think going aboard is going to be to much hassle & general freedom restricted "

We did think of just going somewhere in the uk but have noticed that hotels in uk and Scotland don’t seem to be that cheap

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

We will book flights direct and accommodation on AirBnB or booking.com and hire a car on arrival. We use AirBnB experiences for trips we can’t figure out ourselves. Looking at a few short trips to Italy & Spain in the next 3 months. Other than the flights everything I’d paid on arrival so no risk. Flights are generally safe, can rebook or refund. I would risk money upfront with a travel company this year.

over a year ago

Some companies will now ensure against Covid illness if you travel. Guess the bigger question is if you’d still risk it?

For us, we aren’t so bothered about the insurance as the fact we could still contract Covid and would potentially be ill/unable to look after our dependents whilst trying to deal with insurers and a foreign health care system. That sounds like it would be a bloody nightmare!!

Gutted as we live for our holidays and had to cancel 3 foreign holidays this year but think we’ll stick with Britain and see how things are next year xx

By *ficouldMan
over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

Apparently non-smoking on aircraft has made the recycled air worse because when smoking was allowed the filtering was significantly better!"

I remember seeing / reading that the aircraft have Hepa filters on the air- recirculation . I hope an aircraft engineer could let us all know.

I have been asked abroad and the airport either end plus the flight is really putting me off, was thinking of booking two seats , plus I feel I would have to isolate for two weeks when back (no matter what, even if the air bridges are in place)

So it will probably be, days and nights away as much as is possible.

over a year ago

"We’ve written this year off regarding going away aboard , maybe head to Scotland & look for a little log cabin as an escape. We think going aboard is going to be to much hassle & general freedom restricted

We did think of just going somewhere in the uk but have noticed that hotels in uk and Scotland don’t seem to be that cheap "

We’ve not done any research as yet but thanks for the heads up

over a year ago

Had 2 booked for earlier this year and got a full refund on them both. We (the girls and I ) are wanting to go away in October but I think we are going to bin the idea. Plus I just got a new job so will probably be in training anyway.

over a year ago

It's all been a nightmare! We have a second home in France, luckily the neighbours look out for you and have kept the grass down etc and an eye on the place ,now the govt say airbridge but that's not actually in place !so we will wait until someone actually says it's ok ,plus side the covid risk is lower as we go door to door by car and can minimise human contact, guidance on any of the virus has been naff in the UK

over a year ago

"It's all been a nightmare! We have a second home in France, luckily the neighbours look out for you and have kept the grass down etc and an eye on the place ,now the govt say airbridge but that's not actually in place !so we will wait until someone actually says it's ok ,plus side the covid risk is lower as we go door to door by car and can minimise human contact, guidance on any of the virus has been naff in the UK "

Will Ferries be back open and in use?

I might take a trip to France that way if they are or train might be an option to avoid flying

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/06/20 09:00:00]

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

It's a tricky one, as none of us know how all this will pan out, especially when people start travelling around the world again. The holiday will be a different experience than normal, with restrictions whilst travelling and whilst on holiday, starting with the airport,no shops or restaurants open at the moment, some airlines, no refreshments available. There's more to think about than lying in the sun, so we will see what happens

over a year ago

"It's all been a nightmare! We have a second home in France, luckily the neighbours look out for you and have kept the grass down etc and an eye on the place ,now the govt say airbridge but that's not actually in place !so we will wait until someone actually says it's ok ,plus side the covid risk is lower as we go door to door by car and can minimise human contact, guidance on any of the virus has been naff in the UK

Will Ferries be back open and in use?

I might take a trip to France that way if they are or train might be an option to avoid flying"

We take the dog so it's either ferry or the tunnel ,flying no thanks more chance of catching something,they are saying an agreement on airbridge with France so there is no quarantine either end I'm going to have a nose at crossings today

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"We’ve written this year off regarding going away aboard , maybe head to Scotland & look for a little log cabin as an escape. We think going aboard is going to be to much hassle & general freedom restricted

We did think of just going somewhere in the uk but have noticed that hotels in uk and Scotland don’t seem to be that cheap "

I've a hotel booked in London next week, they're now charging over twice what I paid for the same room.

I reckon everywhere will bump up prices because they know people will pay it just to get some kind of break.

over a year ago

I’ve booked for next March but just waiting to see if I actually go or not

over a year ago

I'm planning a weekend away down south at some point this year. As much as I'm craving sun, sea and sand I'm going to wait and hope for Mexico in 2021

over a year ago

Cancelled for this year. May do something next year if work is looking alright

By *uttercup and WestleyCouple
over a year ago

Merseyside

The insurance also won't cover airlines or holiday companies that go bankrupt now. That is a huge problem as I think lots will once furlough stops.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

We should know in the next couple of days when we can travel abroad again.Looks like the Foreign office will change it's advice for non essential travel from 6th July. Insurance is very important from a health point of view. A EHIC card will cover you for basic health care, not sure about repatriation should you become very ill or worse..worth checking it out before you book

over a year ago

"We should know in the next couple of days when we can travel abroad again.Looks like the Foreign office will change it's advice for non essential travel from 6th July. Insurance is very important from a health point of view. A EHIC card will cover you for basic health care, not sure about repatriation should you become very ill or worse..worth checking it out before you book "

I thought because of brexit we were not able to use an EHIC card anymore or am I wrong?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

An EHIC card is still valid until the end of this year.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"An EHIC card is still valid until the end of this year. "

Gov.uk are advising to still apply for one.

over a year ago

"An EHIC card is still valid until the end of this year. "

Oh great so it’s going to cost us more should people get ill abroad from then on.

over a year ago

"An EHIC card is still valid until the end of this year.

Oh great so it’s going to cost us more should people get ill abroad from then on. "

That’s what people voted for lol - Brexit means Brexit lol.

And I’m Still looking at going away in August, can’t wait! A holiday sounds good, and the hotels are putting things in place to help.

By *rivateparts!Man
over a year ago

Walking down the only road I've ever known!

I haven't been away for about 10 years so I won't be rushing out to waste my money or helping to keep the pandemic travelling worldwide!

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I won't be rushing out to waste my money"

Holidays are my favourite thing. I don't consider them a waste of money.

over a year ago

"I won't be rushing out to waste my money

Holidays are my favourite thing. I don't consider them a waste of money. "

Agreed

By *irth VaderMan
over a year ago

Busby

Leaving foreign holidays this year as there are no assurances that the resorts will be busy, bars and restaurants opened and any atmosphere at all. Got my money back in the bank so Will wait until 2021

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"An EHIC card is still valid until the end of this year.

Oh great so it’s going to cost us more should people get ill abroad from then on. "

That's why you buy travel insurance. A EHIC card doesn't cover for every eventuality. For instance, if someone is ill and can't travel home, it won't cover accommodation for their partner, to stay with them, alternative flights etc, most good travel insurance policies will.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

If you catch Covid19 on holiday in Cyprus they are offering free medical care plus food and accommodation for your travelling companions !

over a year ago

"If you catch Covid19 on holiday in Cyprus they are offering free medical care plus food and accommodation for your travelling companions !"

Where did you read this?

over a year ago

"Leaving foreign holidays this year as there are no assurances that the resorts will be busy, bars and restaurants opened and any atmosphere at all. Got my money back in the bank so Will wait until 2021"

Yeah I’m thinking of booking something on booking.com where you don’t have to pay anything and can cancel week before if need be that way hopefully by August I would have heard from others what’s it’s like out in certain countries. As I agree if things are shut and the atmosphere isn’t any good then it won’t be worth going unfortunately

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

The Guardian, The Telegraph and the BBC news website one month ago. If you Google Cyprus Coronavirus and scroll down you can still read the articles.

over a year ago

"The Guardian, The Telegraph and the BBC news website one month ago. If you Google Cyprus Coronavirus and scroll down you can still read the articles. "

Oh great I’ll take a look at that other countries might join them with that idea if they are desperate to make their money back on holidays

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"If you catch Covid19 on holiday in Cyprus they are offering free medical care plus food and accommodation for your travelling companions !"

That's very generous! But maybe doesn't cover repatriation, if needed, ie flight back by private emergency airplane, god forbid anyone needed it. Best to cover all eventualities

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I presume it wouldn't even cover the cost of rescheduling a return flight if you were recovered enough to travel normally. Definitely always worth taking out travel insurance.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I presume it wouldn't even cover the cost of rescheduling a return flight if you were recovered enough to travel normally. Definitely always worth taking out travel insurance."

Most definitely, covers all sorts of things and it doesn't have to be expensive

over a year ago

That is the question ?

over a year ago

I’ve rebooked to go away in September, if truth be told I don’t think it will go ahead , but if it does I get two weeks away from the uk , see the sun , chill etc , holidays won’t be the same as normal, but it’s still a break away and after this year , I hope I can get away , my case is still packed from the cancelled trip I should be on now , but let’s see what Boris does next

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I’ve rebooked to go away in September, if truth be told I don’t think it will go ahead , but if it does I get two weeks away from the uk , see the sun , chill etc , holidays won’t be the same as normal, but it’s still a break away and after this year , I hope I can get away , my case is still packed from the cancelled trip I should be on now , but let’s see what Boris does next "

I don't see why you shouldn't away, assuming we're not in a second wave

Post new Message to Thread